Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
'Weeks pass elsewhere so you can achieve their potential in minutes' is scaring me. We're on 0 days of food at the hideout. gently caress, I hope Kwiat doesn't starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hah, poo poo, have to make a liar of myself. I threw my hip out and need a day in bed, so the arc finale will need to wait. Regardless, happy one year to the thread!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Oh poo poo, hope you're okay! Also wow, a year already? drat, it's been a hell of a trip so far!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Take care of yourself.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Oh poo poo, hope you're okay! Also wow, a year already? drat, it's been a hell of a trip so far!

This, thanks OP and hope you're feeling better soon.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

Thanks for taking us on this journey, August. Please feel well soon!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Sorry about your hip and happy one year!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hope your hip heals properly and happy 1 year anniversary!

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Happy anniversary, take care!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LORD posted:

He wanders the apex halls, running a hand across the everwet walls, contemplating. He can't feel anything inside the Megalith... but it keeps telling him something's wrong, something's going on.

This feeling. Ice needles in the belly. It takes all of his will to ignore how much it's the same feeling as the day when the Island took him; he had woken up from the starlit party the night before, and it was there, squatting quiet over his neck.

Dread.

A shake of the head pushes it away. What could possibly hurt him now, that wasn't the Island? As long as they all listened to the Island, it would forever stay at bay; it's what the Dryad promised. Still, maybe it'd help to get out of the Megalith again. A few days of rambling to reach Jandoubi and see Hider would be nice. Maybe see how Dancer's pilgrimage is going. She was already on her way to Burner's, so maybe intercepting her at the Salt Lones would be fun.

He makes up his mind, and heads to the grand descending stairs, unaware of a shadow soon climbing them.

Ok. Alright. Tired, so tired. Even a minute's rest wou- wait, a minute's rest is completely possible! Just sit still, do NOT antagonize the [organ], and just catch one second of air. This gross, sweat-laced air. One hour is bearable.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

HP: [ 13 / 21 ]
FP: [ 13 / 30 ]

[+6 FP]

An hour later and your lungs feel goopy, but you don't feel so tired you might pass out. Your heart still refuses to slow down; your fingers are bitten bloody, since you spent the entire time trying to stay as still as possible despite the constant unrest gnawing at you. You know it won't slow down until you overcome Megalith, or it claims your life. So you stand up, slowly, looking down the sweatstone hall. It's nagging you how familiar it is. You walk around, shoes slick. You carefully study the unnaturally lit surfaces for some weak point.

(PE) 13 [5]+[6]+[6] = 17 - CRITICAL FAILURE!

Oh hey! At the end of the hall! There's a discolored part of the stone that looks good, but you're too tunnel-visioned to notice the especially large puddle of sweat that you slip on, sending you face-first smashing into the floor.

HP: [ 12 / 21 ]
[-1 HP]

Your scream comes directly after, as you hold your bloodied, sweaty, burning face. Immediately you can feel it happen. The sheer weight of it all. How are you going to defeat a Lord, idiot? You fuckup! You can't even walk right, how in the Hell will you fight Bleeder alone?! This is hopeless! You're going to die! You're... going... please God please...

(Disquiet) 10 [1]+[3]+[2] = 6 - Success...

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

Please. Please. Stay calm. Nothing broke. Just a slip and bump. Stay calm. It's, it's just

The Silver Mind posted:

"It's just what I keep telling you" he said, with that gentle fierce. He was imploring.

"One day at a time. One thing at a time."

so much to handle. Just focus on the immediate. Assess. The wall is discolored, and secreting an enormous amount of sweat. So stand up, walk SLOW, and touch the discoloration to figure out what's- oh God your hand went right through. You jerk it back so fast your shoulder pops, but checking your hand shows nothing but the sweat you first touched. You look around - no reaction. You try again with your hand, and it passes through like you were pushing into a bead curtain. Steeling yourself, you lean forward, and stick your head in to take a look.

Well. Ok! Hackles raised, but at this point you're so spooked anyways that the novelty terror of what you just saw washes past quickly enough. It's either this or stabbing the walls, and you'd rather be well outside of an enclosed space before you try to start killing past this thing. The World King did reveal how being in the Back allows you to traverse spacetime in strange ways, so without hesitation, you leap through. It feels like... yeah like back in the Hideout again. The most bizarre sensation, like standing on a wall, phosphorous peeling past your eyes. You inhale carefully, and there it is- clean stale air, a complete lack of temperature, the sense of absolutely not belonging. You keep pushing through the haze, feeling out the 'floor' with your blade, trying to step around enough to find some way to climb back into the Megalith. It's so hard to see. Every time you shift your head, everything seems to look different. But persistence pays off; you manage to find a d ̧̺̲̹̩̝̦̠̬̫̞͔̼̩̮̲͠ͅ ̨͓̟̦̬̮͔̙̖̠͎̫͕̜̳̫̕͟͞ ̵͇̬̥̮̻̞̥̼̯̹̰͕̜̥́͟͢

You vomit. Sweat in every pore. Just a d ̧̺̲̹̩̝̦̠̬̫̞͔̼̩̮̲͠ͅ ̨͓̟̦̬̮͔̙̖̠͎̫͕̜̳̫̕͟͞ ̵͇̬̥̮̻̞̥̼̯̹̰͕̜̥́͟͢just a d ̧̺̲̹̩̝̦̠̬̫̞͔̼̩̮̲͠ͅ ̨͓̟̦̬̮͔̙̖̠͎̫͕̜̳̫̕͟͞ ̵͇̬̥̮̻̞̥̼̯̹̰͕̜̥́͟͢just a d ̧̺̲̹̩̝̦̠̬̫̞͔̼̩̮̲͠ͅ ̨͓̟̦̬̮͔̙̖̠͎̫͕̜̳̫̕͟͞ ̵͇̬̥̮̻̞̥̼̯̹̰͕̜̥́͟͢

stop stop something isn't right with this something is

You vomit. The door is behind, now. You're standing somewhere that's been bent backwards with hatred. Carpets underfoot and they're so drenched with phlegm and sweat that every step is a slippery squish. Isn't the decor tasteful? You know if you make a sound inside the hate that it'll hear and start screaming at you. It'll be so disgusted with you. You vomit, but hold it in your mouth, and quietly spit it out. Look. Look. All the doors are open.

You remember this, but only in your muscles, and the hallway hates you for that. You have to reach the end of the hall, far down down down, without it realizing how much it hates you. The doors are open and there are voices coming from inside. They're rusty and clogged with spores, and their sound carries with equal volume no matter the meaingless distance. You know if the voices find out they'll hate you too. They're saying things like 'SCOOP SCOOP' and 'PROTO. MATTER.' and 'BAD BAD LITTLE GRAVITY' and it makes you vomit. You hide it in your throat and let it slide out when the noise stops. You have to move. The air is going to choke you to death with mucus if you don't. Quiet. Quietly!

(DX - Stealth) 11 [6]+[1]+[1] = 8 - Success.

See? Slide slow. Step soft. Do not touch the walls or they'll know. Do not look in the doors or they'll know. Do not trip, cough, think. Keep moving. Do not vomit. Keep-

LOG posted:

You're hidden.
Stay still.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 0%

͏ ́ ́ ͟ ͜ ͟ ́ ̢ ̛ searches.

Don't look.
Just slip away...

Move. Move. Move. Move.

There, right there, that perfect empty at the end of the hall, just walk in and fall - do not vomit. Somewhere beyond the dark, you can hear the sound of marrow ringing, bones singing.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I really "enjoy" all the encounters with ͏ ́ ́ ͟ ͜ ͟ ́ ̢ ̛. And by that, I mean they're incredibly freaky.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Different color this time.

Megalith is an extension of the Lord. I wonder if Bleeder knows about...whatever the hell this is? I doubt he knows about the Back.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think it might be the Hell End? The last time we saw it we were travelling between Ends a bit as well.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I never thought I'd attach visceral horror to 'SCOOP SCOOP' but, well, here we are.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LORD posted:

He runs down the apex halls, clawing a hand over the everwet walls, growling. He can feel them. Every last one. The hundred crawling through the veins and bones of his Megalith. The infection.

This feeling. Fire clawing up the spine. He focuses on it, lets his blood turn hot, forces himself to ignore the other feeling right below it. He needs this more, and now.

Rage.

Bared teeth flares across his suit and brings it closer. They can't hurt him. The Island already hurt all of them such that they'd never be harmed again. As long as the Island was with him, he'd bring vengeance down on every last foe. It's what the Dryad promised. He SURVIVED. T̴HI̴S I͝S ̢HIS̴ ̷HO͠L̕Y̧ R͜I̸ĢHT̛.̡

But why did Hider not warm him through foresight? How did she not see an army invading his holy place? If only Dancer's pilgrimage was closer! He'd go to see her in Jandoubi once he's dealt with this.

He prepares to slay the hundred defiling his cult, and heads to the grand descending stairs, unaware of the four wandering up to meet with him.

Hundred Walked Holy posted:

So sad. That's all she could call it. They had ascended up through the Megalith; past halls of black wood, curse-vein marble, rusted gold fountains, sparkling silks, snow-blood shrines, miles of artfully woven circulatory systems, towering arches of false adamant, and oh. The bones. The ivory love of this warm sweet sanctum.

It almost seemed a shame to blacken it with flame. But there was no quarter left - the Megalith was alive with undeath, literally crawling over the mile-high walls, taking shapes that biology resented. They would dangle down a thousand razor-crooked teeth, blacken the body with pulping bacteria, slough off great megatons of meat. That nobody had died coming this far was nothing short of miracle, but the end was not yet here. The Wanderers had made their way into the great howling bonetubes, ascending rapidly to Bleeder's sanctum. The Lord knew they were here.

Vincent stayed strapped to Gaziel's back. He could no longer fight with his wounds, but he had just enough in him to use his winter words to help the Superhero. Gaziel was slowing down for sure, his age and illness exacerbated by the Megalith's cursing might. But he fought on even as he constantly stumbled and gulped in the organic air, leaving Cassandra to do her all to cover for him as they advanced with the rest of Home. There wasn't going to be 'victory'. This couldn't be won. They'd have to tear down the entire mile-high Megalith, and even then, it would rise again by the will of its Lord. So that's why they made their stand. To buy time for the four above, to force Bleeder down here, to make him face an army.

Would that be enough? Would one hundred fighting mad be enough to conquer a Lord?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[It's taking a while. It's nervous work. Have to figure out how to navigate the strange upset. It happened for sure when the weird no-use skill auto-proc'd back in the Wonderful Suburbs. Immediately after it went bad and now the character's position seems utterly uncertain. There's what looks like a door to go through and force a new area load, but... would it end up back out in the Megalith?]

[The reason that's a question is the world map. Looking at it is a headache, where it flickers rapidly between two maps, one of which has to be the Rainforest Concordance going by the red, but what was the other one? Some quick and dirty screenshot work manages to reveal the other.]

[Huh. Things like this have happened before to some onerunners, but not this extreme. No time to experiment or take risks; resources are stretched, and every bit counts when facing a Lord.]

[Bleeder will fall, and then the real onerun begins.]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

̷͍ ͈ ̞̩͕ ̱̝͖͙̗͖͔ ̞̪ ̰̩̦͘ ̧̙͔̠ ҉̤ posted:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

:suspense:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
:frogon:

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Wait. So when we traveled first through the Back we went to the Pluto Tower. At that time the basement of the tower was bloody and full of meat...

I think that was actually the Bloody Megalith, yeah. So the game glitched, moved some Bloody Megalith maps into the Pluto Tower, and then it moved the Pluto Tower maps back into the Megalith, which is why we're now in those two places at the same time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Man, that's a lovely community when someone who posts a detailed explanation of what the last character should do, and the exact reaction that should happen after each talk option to auto-win the fight and they're met with a "stop roleplaying". No wonder people have such a hard time beating the game, they think it's DoomRL and not... most other rogue-likes that actually let you do more than just shooty-shooty-bang-bang.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is this guy savescumming? Thought this game was hardcore…

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At this point, I'm assuming the game has an option at the start that we didn't see (maybe a command line variable?) to turn on one-run, a more hard-core Ironman run, because they specifically call Oneruns that way too often.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

At this point, I'm assuming the game has an option at the start that we didn't see (maybe a command line variable?) to turn on one-run, a more hard-core Ironman run, because they specifically call Oneruns that way too often.

I think that's Holy End, not Hell End. We don't have parties.

WHO THE gently caress, BY THE WAY, IS MACELLA.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
My best guess is she's the Necromancer, going by that "Beloved by the Emperor of Hell" line and how Bleeder hates necromancy. It would make sense that she would be the one who gave the Valkyrie her soul gem. We haven't seen much of this character tbh, since we didn't pick Necromancer as our class she never mentored us, and she didn't appear in any other visions as far as I can remember.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Also, now that I think about it, it would make sense that the Necromancer and the Valkyrie of the setting would be buddies, right? They're both acquainted with death in one way or another.

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 22, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

One collects the souls to make into Einherjar, the other collects the bodies to make into undead? I'm... actually, has anything ever done something where a Valkyrie and Necromancer work together to conquer the world because they get two minions per person?

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
That would be one hell of a Holy End run. You intentionally kill all the colonists, use their souls as fuel for Einherjar, and their bodies as undead soldiers. I don't know if it would be theoretically possible to control that many minions at the same time but it would be a fun experiment.

Also it never ceases to amuse how we consistently keep trying to break a game that doesn't even exist.

Grond fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 22, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grond posted:

Also it never ceases to amuse how we consistently keep trying to break a game that doesn't even exist.

Oh, no, I meant in general. I know there are some games that have both Valkyries and Necromancers (like Valkyrie Profile) but generally they tend to be on opposite sides.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So where's the Goon Project to turn this into a real game?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Razakai posted:

So where's the Goon Project to turn this into a real game?

Probably the same place all the other goon projects go

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

BigFactory posted:

Probably the same place all the other goon projects go

Now we know what Hell End refers to!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

not sure the world is ready for -ZEN- [Goon End]

E:To contribute something, I suppose when the time comes we'll want to talk to bleeder before they turn angry if possible.
Though, try as we did, angering Bleeder sounds to me a near-certainty to be endured rather than avoided. Hmm.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 23, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We do have the Oilstained Shield, that will hopefully come in handy when we face Bleeder, one way or another.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Randalor posted:

One collects the souls to make into Einherjar, the other collects the bodies to make into undead? I'm... actually, has anything ever done something where a Valkyrie and Necromancer work together to conquer the world because they get two minions per person?

Sort of like expecting extreme environmentalists to work with a company that promises to plant a tree for every tree they chop down. A fundamental disconnect about what makes a person valuable.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Arcanuse posted:

not sure the world is ready for -ZEN- [Goon End]

imagine 4 colonists on the edge of a megalith

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Sort of like expecting extreme environmentalists to work with a company that promises to plant a tree for every tree they chop down. A fundamental disconnect about what makes a person valuable.

Hey, it's not like that body is doing anything after the soul vacated the biomass. Why not call up your BFF and let them know of some prime grade-A hero corpse rather than letting it go to waste?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You fall past the black... and smash into a softstone membrane. As you approach the borner of the Back, awareness returns with the nightmare's clarity; you're inside the [organ]!

ANXIETY: [ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][70%] [HELL NO]

SWEAT! YOU'RE DROWNING IN SWEAT! You wriggle mad against the stonestrech membrane, the hot liquid washing over you in sloshing waves. Thrashing, you struggle to position your sword and realize that this is it - no more respect. Either break out or drown on warm sour sweat.

(DX - Position Sword) 11 [3]+[2]+[4] = 9 - Success!

There, there! Slide it against a stretched spot, lean in, get ready to STAB THROUGH...

(!Tyranny) 18 [3]+[2]+[4] = 17 - CRITICAL FAILURE!
[Skill 18 = Mitigation On Critical Failure]

The sword punches through!!

...and it falls from your sweat-submerged hand.

ANXIETY: [ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][80%] [poo poo!!!!]

You fight to not scream and inhale. You can't see where the sword slipped through. Your hands reach and press the stony membrane, your heart thundering in your ears. You're going to die. You're going to drown. You-

Trash Compactor posted:

[HT 30] Ay yo. Did you forget your lungs are so swole now you can hold your breath for like, an hour? Just don't inhale. Easy easy.

YES. YES YOU DID.

ANXIETY: [ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][70%] [Oh yeah]

Assess! Look! You have time before the [organ] reacts to the wound. Think...

(PE) 13 [1]+[3]+[2] = 6 - Success!

Wait, easy! The sweat is flowing out! Just feel around, quick, where the flow is going. Right there! Your hands quickly slip into the slit in the stone. You grasp it as hard as you can, and WRENCH.

(ST - Tear. It. Open.) 21 [2]+[5]+[6] = 13 - Success (by 8)!
vs
(HT - Stone Membrane Resilience) 18 [1]+[6]+[4] = 6 - Success (by 7)!

Oh, it's not easy. But you're more difficult than the stone, than this entire hellish shithole. There's a horrible crackling that travels through the sweat, followed by a strong flow, and suddenly you're ejected, sliding a waterfall of sweat down a hill of crumbling black rock.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%] [Oh yeah]

When you finally come to a stop, you grab at the floor and vomit, the stink of the organic liquid overbearing. You shake off growling like a dog, wiping yourself with Red's blessing. With your eyes clear, you stand and find your sword before you look around, quietly inhaling the surprise.

OST: Bloody Megalith

It's beautiful. No, you're not much of a fan of undeath viscera, but... it's still beautiful. The room is gargantuan, surely a third of the Megalith in size, a supermass of divine space. Cathedrals roar up around you in every direction, growing from the walls, ceilings, and floor. They slope with sanctum, crafted of the Megalith's ivory, glossed with their palest yellow-white. Hive holes are formed in every minaret and body, some lit with gold, most stained dark. Figures robed in filthy white move among them slowly, Congregation trapped in the ecstasy of the Megalith's sound. Yes, the sound, coming from those bones titan holy. Their hollows and grooves, hives and smooths, draw unknowable airs through them. It creates a clean storm of songful roars, the winds sloshing around the lakes of bloodied ichor. If the Wonderful Suburbs were a swamp, then this was the rainfall curse that fed their swollen soils.

You finally dry off enough to not feel like slime. You know the [organ] is going to trouble you if you get too close to any more sweaty stone, so you scamper onto the bone walkways as the almighty warm wind screams overhead in singing prayer. Ivory curtains drape irregular through the landscape, often near shrines of the rusted gold. You smack one with your sword, and it makes a lovely sound.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

Alright Bleeder, where are you? You freak. You monster. You awful thing of Hell. You're lurking in the shadows and behind the curtains, every motion measured and steel-spring tense. You pass through a cavern of bones tubes, so thin as to be transparent, filled with the warm pulse of pitch black oil. You pass by one that's broken open but empty of oil. You peer inside as you pass, and begin to think on the environment. Another tunnel (riddled with tiny bloodfall rivulets and dimlit marrow growths) leads you out to a black stone cliff, where you kneel to stare out into the vast dark with a better view. Oh mighty are you ready for this to be done. Your heart pulses, and its gravity is heavier than this divine place. You'll prove that now. You'll stand tall now. This is where you make road. This is the first wall!

...wall of night...

You inhale unliving air. There are three decisions to be made from here. Trinity color.

You will decide how to face Bleeder.
You will decide how to use time.
You will decide how to be you.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The responses on the poll are about 200% expected, hopefully the event will be amenable to solving bleeder...correctly, for a given value of correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
This music is awesome.