Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sashimi posted:

MSFS is on sale on Steam and I'm probably going to pull the trigger, but I'm wondering if my PC is up to the task. I'm running a 1070 and i5 7600K @ 1440. Will I have a chance at running it at a decent frame rate without resorting to potato-level detail settings?

You're gonna want to run it at 1080. I had a 1070 and running it at 1080 got me okayish framerates. No clue how things.habe improved.

My 3060 gets me 30 frames @1440.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just got the windows store update bug and now I have to redownload 130GB of content. :suicide:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
VKB modules are live, $70/ea. for the throttle and flaps modules, $99 for the NAV module.
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=gladiator-nxt-stand-alone-modules

Something to note with VKB though is that they ship direct from wherever they produce these in China so shipping is usually like $30-$50 too.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 20, 2021

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Since MSFS is on sale, I figure now is as good a time as any to grab it off of Steam. Just one question. The planes and scenery that you get with the deluxe and premium editions, are you able to buy them separately later once you have the base game, or are you poo poo out of luck?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cat Wings posted:

Since MSFS is on sale, I figure now is as good a time as any to grab it off of Steam. Just one question. The planes and scenery that you get with the deluxe and premium editions, are you able to buy them separately later once you have the base game, or are you poo poo out of luck?

You can buy them separately yes, although the pricing on the MS Store for them is pretty sus and at one time I noticed it was more to get just the expansion than it was for the premium edition in the first place.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I personally don't feel like the scenery or planes they offer in those editions are really worth the price. I would just save that $50 or spend it on higher quality 3rd party addons.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you want gauges instead of a badly simulated G1000 glass panel then most of those planes are in the higher-priced editions

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sapozhnik posted:

if you want gauges instead of a badly simulated G1000 glass panel then most of those planes are in the higher-priced editions

You can get the free Working Title G1000 Nxi for those, but, yes.

Still, the only plane I'd miss if I didn't have it is the Baron, because Barons are good as gently caress. The Carenado Seneca V is even better but the GPS is a gently caress because WT hasn't mended it yet.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Sashimi posted:

MSFS is on sale on Steam and I'm probably going to pull the trigger, but I'm wondering if my PC is up to the task. I'm running a 1070 and i5 7600K @ 1440. Will I have a chance at running it at a decent frame rate without resorting to potato-level detail settings?

I played it (through gamepass, I may buy it on Steam now too) on my old-ish and mediocre laptop that has an i7 8th gen and a 1060 GTX. I ran it at around medium-ish settings at anywhere from 40-60 fps at 1080p, but I did decide to just cap it at 30 fps for thermal reasons. The bonus of playing on a laptop is that I get added immersion from my laptop fans that emulate the sound of a jet engine. :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cat Wings posted:

I have the uber version and only rarely fly AC that are special to it. That may change in the near future when I get off my rear end and unbox the alpha and bravo, but I as it is I don't. I don't feel it's necessarily a rip off though, but check the lists of which are included and compare. I you think you might want the premium/deluxe aircraft, I'd just buy it from the get go. In the scheme of things compared to 3rd party add-ons, it's not a bad deal.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Direct3D12 support is finally coming next month. I'm curious how much that'll do to performance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I fly the Shock Ultra all the time. The Cirrus will become more and more of a favorite as the avionics get patched. It’s already quite a bit better than it was at release. Gimme dat Cirrus Perspective keypad!

(This is not to sell you on the ultimate version: The way they implemented it is real dumb and you can’t reskin any of those airplanes.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As a filthy casual it's kind of a hard discussion. Some of the instantly funnest planes are in the expensive editions. But they are encrypted to even skin them let alone get community fixes.

If you just want Maximum Plane and don't want or know how to navigate the payware market it's fine probably. But yeah, you can get much better value out of payware on top of the base game if you're into that sort of thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Direct3D12 support is finally coming next month. I'm curious how much that'll do to performance.

I'm sorta losing faith in MSFS's ability to do genuinely good VR performance until 2024 GPUs are out. With my 3080 Ti on a Reverb G2 (4320 x 2160), I get 30fps on ultra settings, 38fps on medium and 80% render scale. Getting 45 FPS seems impossible without tanking quality. It seems like there's something about VR mode specifically that's holding me back. Maybe I have something configured wrong, but I have no idea what that would be. My 4K performance outside of VR mode is as expected (50 to 55fps on ultra), and the Reverb G2 should be just a bit more taxing than that (5 - 10% fewer frames) but it's getting -40% frames instead. If there's nothing I can do to fix that on my end, then I can only hope that DX12 helps.

edit: I'm doing this purely through WMR.

edit 2: Also, they brought up DLSS during the latest developer Q&A, and it seems like that's not in the cards for now. They cited a lack of meaningful visual improvement over more standard temporal upscaling techniques due to the nature of the game scenes being rendered (slow moving terrain from outside your stationary cockpit, mainly). Reminder that they plan on adding ray tracing at some point, lmao. We will really want 40-series geforce cards for that, and I'm not planning on getting a new card for a while. Oh well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 21, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MrYenko posted:

I fly the Shock Ultra all the time. The Cirrus will become more and more of a favorite as the avionics get patched. It’s already quite a bit better than it was at release. Gimme dat Cirrus Perspective keypad!

(This is not to sell you on the ultimate version: The way they implemented it is real dumb and you can’t reskin any of those airplanes.)

Modifying the premium planes is definitely more annoying than the others, but you can make liveries for them.

https://flightsim.to/c/liveries/cirrus-sr22/

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Scruff McGruff posted:

VKB modules are live, $70/ea. for the throttle and flaps modules, $99 for the NAV module.
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=gladiator-nxt-stand-alone-modules

Something to note with VKB though is that they ship direct from wherever they produce these in China so shipping is usually like $30-$50 too.

I'm a big fan of all my current VKB hardware so I've placed an order for essentially one of each of these. I can post some updates or initial thoughts when I receive them if anybody is interested.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Ended up splitting the difference and getting the Deluxe since it had some planes I'm excited for (love me some GA). Now I just have to hope it finishes downloading and installing before I go to the cottage for the weekend! :v:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm sorta losing faith in MSFS's ability to do genuinely good VR performance until 2024 GPUs are out. With my 3080 Ti on a Reverb G2 (4320 x 2160), I get 30fps on ultra settings, 38fps on medium and 80% render scale. Getting 45 FPS seems impossible without tanking performance. It seems like there's something about VR mode specifically that's holding me back. Maybe I have something configured wrong, but I have no idea what that would be. My 4K performance outside of VR mode is as expected (50 to 55fps on ultra), and the Reverb G2 should be just a bit more taxing than that (5 - 10% fewer frames) but it's getting -40% frames instead. If there's nothing I can do to fix that on my end, then I can only hope that DX12 helps.

edit: I'm doing this purely through WMR.

edit 2: Also, they brought up DLSS during the latest developer Q&A, and it seems like that's not in the cards for now. They cited a lack of meaningful visual improvement over more standard temporal upscaling techniques due to the nature of the game scenes being rendered (slow moving terrain from outside your stationary cockpit, mainly). Reminder that they plan on adding ray tracing at some point, lmao. We will really want 40-series geforce cards for that, and I'm not planning on getting a new card for a while. Oh well.
The weird thing is that I have insanely good performance on my Vive Pro and 2080 card, tons of stuff on Ultra too. Maybe it's a WMR thing? Though your resolution is much higher but I'm running at 120% scaling so it shouldn't be that different. Outside of big cities I'm easily in the 50/60fps range. I know there's a few good optimisation guides on the official forums that specify messing with the actual VR settings on your system (not the game) so maybe that's worth looking at.

Also really annoyed that they still have that stupid logbook popping up the moment I switch off electrics or, sometimes, the engine after landing. I hate that screen so much! Partially because I don't care about the logbook but mainly because it pauses everything, takes away control, and then causes my system to stutter for a bit while it fills in the log (hilarious in VR). It's so obtrusive and I know I'm not the only one complaining about it (it's on their roadmap list thing even). The worst part, to me, is that they actually did change it a bit in this update, so they have looked at it but instead of making it less annoying they just flipped two buttons around and made the cockpit dissapear in VR. Essentially making it even more obnoxious. I can never shut down a plane properly because I really can't be bothered to continue after that thing brings my system to a screaming halt. In the FBW A320 hitting continue would also turn off all the cockpit displays, that was fun! Though that may have changed, I haven't checked cause I now just quit out after parking.

Just needed to vent that. I hate that loving popup so much that all the other bugs pale in comparison now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I didn't realize it until I made the jump from X-Plane to MSFS VR when it came out, but I realized so much of what I liked about VR in a commercial sim was VR Hands. When MSFS made me still just flip switches with the mouse, I actually lost a lot of why I wanted to play it. I want flicky cockpits without spending thousands of dollars on home set ups! I haven't even really tried MSFS VR after the recent performance patch but I really should do it again.

(Just, you know, hundreds for various other peripherals.)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Combat Pretzel posted:

They've repeatedly said they're moving to it for feature support rather than performance, so I wouldn't expect much.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I didn't realize it until I made the jump from X-Plane to MSFS VR when it came out, but I realized so much of what I liked about VR in a commercial sim was VR Hands. When MSFS made me still just flip switches with the mouse, I actually lost a lot of why I wanted to play it. I want flicky cockpits without spending thousands of dollars on home set ups! I haven't even really tried MSFS VR after the recent performance patch but I really should do it again.

Button pushing and flip switching is like 80% of why I love flightsims. I've sat in the zibo 737 for like 90 minutes just trying to get the engines to turn over and it's a blast. DC-6 startup is the king of busybox push-butan gameplay.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm kind of in love with the new VKB modules but they all seem so pointless. Maybe that's just because civilian flight sims have clickable cockpits, but I totally lost the appeal of a button box with some generic labels when there's an authentic replica of everything in the sim. I like their autopilot panel, though.

Biggest problem I see is that apparently you have to put it together with their custom USB controller? I know that flight sim market is niche, but I can't imagine that a thing the end user has to put together will land them the big MSFS bucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VR controller support is coming in the next update, I think.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm kind of in love with the new VKB modules but they all seem so pointless. Maybe that's just because civilian flight sims have clickable cockpits, but I totally lost the appeal of a button box with some generic labels when there's an authentic replica of everything in the sim. I like their autopilot panel, though.

Biggest problem I see is that apparently you have to put it together with their custom USB controller? I know that flight sim market is niche, but I can't imagine that a thing the end user has to put together will land them the big MSFS bucks.

I'm thinking of ordering the little 3 throttle module. I really don't like having to take eyes off my descent to adjust the throttle level, and I especially don't like that the throttle control I do have (A/B on my XBox controller) don't tell you what level the throttle is at after adjusting it. I'm not sure if I $130 don't like it though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

VR controller support is coming in the next update, I think.

Oh nice! I was debating if I still wanted to keep my HMD because of that missing, but maybe that update will get me back into it. I still enjoy the game a lot, but I need the controllers to really enjoy VR.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I'm checking it out on gamepass again after a year and it certainly runs a lot better. Are they ever going to add a replay mode to this? I really miss that feature.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Lord Stimperor posted:

If you have a Gladiator NXT you don't need the USB module (unless you need more than 8 axis apparently)

I definitely get what you're saying, for me it's more about having the option to use them if I want them. Sometimes I want to have fun clicking around in the cockpit on a casual flight in a 152. But there's other times where I want to try a challenging approach, or rough weather, or playing IL-2, where I am either to slow with in-game cockpit controls or I get overloaded and just need to be able to quickly accomplish a task and having a button for it makes that possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh nice! I was debating if I still wanted to keep my HMD because of that missing, but maybe that update will get me back into it. I still enjoy the game a lot, but I need the controllers to really enjoy VR.

The specific mentioning this from their september Q&A:

I'm not 100% sure if this also includes flight controls. I think it might. The dev talking about it said "everything in the cockpit."

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm checking it out on gamepass again after a year and it certainly runs a lot better. Are they ever going to add a replay mode to this? I really miss that feature.
They mentioned it’s planned in a Q&A yesterday. There’s a free mod that does a pretty good job

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

Sort of.

The big update in November is adding replay functionality, but it'll only be accessible via dev mode, since it's not completely finished or something.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

If you have a Gladiator NXT you don't need the USB module (unless you need more than 8 axis apparently)

I definitely get what you're saying, for me it's more about having the option to use them if I want them. Sometimes I want to have fun clicking around in the cockpit on a casual flight in a 152. But there's other times where I want to try a challenging approach, or rough weather, or playing IL-2, where I am either to slow with in-game cockpit controls or I get overloaded and just need to be able to quickly accomplish a task and having a button for it makes that possible.

Doesn't the NXT premium already have 6 axes used (since the hat stick on top is two axes when you click down on it)? seems like any of those add-ons would push it over that limit, no?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also I don't think anyone's mentioned it here yet, but a free "Game of the Year" update is coming alongside SU7 on November 18th. Summarizing from the Developer Q&A:

Volocopter VoloCity eVTOL
Pilatus PC-6 Porter
CubCrafters NX Cub
Aviat Pitts Special S1S (single-seat variant)
F/A-18 Super Hornet

So they got permission to release the super hornet ahead of the top gun movie release. The PC-6 Porter was a third-party payware that I guess MS paid the developer so they can include it in the update for free. The rest are Asobo planes I believe.

They're also releasing some random airports, including a couple US military bases. Some random new photogrammetry cities were added where there were already world updates. Five new cities in england, helsinki, some dutch city I didn't catch the name of, etc. And some new tutorials I guess from a third party. Most of the new airports are also from third parties, which I guess is true of the world update airports too. MS is leaning on various third party studios to produce new content more than I thought.

The DirectX 12 mode in the next update is going to be basically identical to DX11 as it is now. They're just putting it in as an opt-in test for now so they can squash bugs once they do DX12 for real. The "real" DX12 release will be what contains all the fancy new graphical stuff like Ray Tracing I believe.

The Reno Air Races, also coming November 18th, will be a full paid expansion, which I'm not sure was clear when they announced it. At least, I don't think I realized that. It'll be $20 for a base version with 3 new plane models (T-6 Texan, P-51 Mustang, L-39 Albatros), plus another Pitts variant for the biplane class. There's a $60 version that gets you that, plus 36 additional plane variations, modeled after the actual competition planes. The plane variations aren't entirely cosmetic. There are various customizations to the plane body and cockpit for each one, it sounds like (like different wing tips and cowlings, or different instruments). Fairly minor stuff, but it still affects the aerodynamic modeling. Overall though, you can consider the $20 as getting you everything that's important, and any extra money is for skins.

edit: Buying competition planes individually sounds super not worth it. MS was trying to appease third party sellers here in not making their plane prices look ridiculous next to Asobo planes, so the individual planes cost $10 a piece. A whole class of plane variations costs $30. Any money you spend gets credited to the cost of the full collection, which is a $40 upgrade over the base $20 price. So, $40 for 36 additional plane variations or $10 a piece, pretty clear which is the better value.

The plane variations are purely cosmetic in quickmatch mode actually (the default race mode). The planes will have different performance and aerodynamics in time trial and free flight modes, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 22, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Last night I started up MSFS after a few months. Took the whole evening to load all the world updates and other updates. Why can't they figure out a proper update system? The Steam portion updated at 300MBit/s and then the in-game update slogs at 15MBit/s with constant stopping and starting because they serve tons of little files.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Any opinions on the Carenado planes? I hate the glass cockpits of stock planes and PA34T and PA44 look nice. Does anyone have both and is one more fun/better than the other?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I mean, yeah their update system sucks

It's on steam, so let it just download all the updates via steam like every other game on steam

If you're not running it on steam, I assume the other platforms have similar abilities to download updates even when you're not 'in' the game?

It really is the worst way to do updates, because generally speaking when someone wants to play it's because they have the time at that current state, if you now make them download all the updates they've missed for the past 6 months that time will be gone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

I mean, yeah their update system sucks

It's on steam, so let it just download all the updates via steam like every other game on steam

If you're not running it on steam, I assume the other platforms have similar abilities to download updates even when you're not 'in' the game?

It really is the worst way to do updates, because generally speaking when someone wants to play it's because they have the time at that current state, if you now make them download all the updates they've missed for the past 6 months that time will be gone.

Steam only downloads the small parts which are the actual program. All content updates are in-game using the MS system.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the issues is that there are a shitload of different pieces of content you can choose to not have installed, from marketplace items, to the world updates, to even the stock planes (you can uninstall those for some reason if you want). They need a way to track the billion different pieces of content, and there's no clean way to do it across multiple marketplaces, and I doubt the Windows Store even has this capability. So instead, they track all that content purely in-game, in a one-size-fits all solution that works on all platforms. And because it's tracked purely in game, updating that content from outside the game isn't possible, it has to be done by the game.

The game should probably use a separate launcher so you can do all that stuff without actually loading up the game, though.

Steadiman posted:

The weird thing is that I have insanely good performance on my Vive Pro and 2080 card, tons of stuff on Ultra too. Maybe it's a WMR thing? Though your resolution is much higher but I'm running at 120% scaling so it shouldn't be that different. Outside of big cities I'm easily in the 50/60fps range. I know there's a few good optimisation guides on the official forums that specify messing with the actual VR settings on your system (not the game) so maybe that's worth looking at.

Also really annoyed that they still have that stupid logbook popping up the moment I switch off electrics or, sometimes, the engine after landing. I hate that screen so much! Partially because I don't care about the logbook but mainly because it pauses everything, takes away control, and then causes my system to stutter for a bit while it fills in the log (hilarious in VR). It's so obtrusive and I know I'm not the only one complaining about it (it's on their roadmap list thing even). The worst part, to me, is that they actually did change it a bit in this update, so they have looked at it but instead of making it less annoying they just flipped two buttons around and made the cockpit dissapear in VR. Essentially making it even more obnoxious. I can never shut down a plane properly because I really can't be bothered to continue after that thing brings my system to a screaming halt. In the FBW A320 hitting continue would also turn off all the cockpit displays, that was fun! Though that may have changed, I haven't checked cause I now just quit out after parking.

Just needed to vent that. I hate that loving popup so much that all the other bugs pale in comparison now.

It may be a WMR/OpenXR thing. OpenXR can affect my performance in weird ways, too. If I turn on motion reprojection, for instance, it tanks my performance. I go from 38fps to 22.5 fps reprojected to 90Hz. I guess they can't do 3x reprojection, only 4x or 2x? I should try setting the VR headset to 60Hz next and seeing what happens then.

I've also learned that the Reverb G2's default behavior is to tell programs to render at +50% resolution scale. That's on top of the already-high resolution of 2160x2160 per eye. Supposedly this is due to the way the optics of the device work and enlarging the size of the sweet spot, blah blah blah. Suffice to say, 6480x3240 is a rather large resolution to render MSFS at on Ultra settings. Bringing that down to normal (or as close to it as you can get) still doesn't get me to a frame rate anywhere close to 4K—just 38fps on ultra settings as opposed to the 50s I get in 4K. So there's still some VR-specific shenanigans going on that I need to figure out.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Shipon posted:

Doesn't the NXT premium already have 6 axes used (since the hat stick on top is two axes when you click down on it)? seems like any of those add-ons would push it over that limit, no?

If you want to continue using the throttle axis as an axis then yeah, you'd probably max it out, but if you disable that since you have a dedicated throttle now then you're at 5+3 with a single THQ, and the SEM module doesn't have any axis out of the box (you can convert the gear lever into an axis but out of the box it's a two position lever) and I don't think the FSM module has any either so you could potentially run it all through the integrated connection? You also have the option of using VKB's software to set up two virtual controllers but I have no idea how that works and their software isn't the most user friendly stuff. It is a bummer that it's not just built in though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lobsterminator posted:

Any opinions on the Carenado planes? I hate the glass cockpits of stock planes and PA34T and PA44 look nice. Does anyone have both and is one more fun/better than the other?

Apparently their support for updates, etc. has a history of being a bit poo poo, but I'm really happy with the Seneca V minus the fact that the GPS is the same lovely default GPS. I haven't tried the Seminole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lobsterminator posted:

Steam only downloads the small parts which are the actual program. All content updates are in-game using the MS system.

Yeah, it's the in-game content updates which absolutely suck and if anything goes sideways, it'll be there.

Even with my 750mb connection it took a good long while (couple hours, or more?) when I did that full re-install a couple months back.