Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Sorry, lucky.

I don’t really mess around with the flankers. We have 2TB plans now with 100ish sim on each Telus and Rogers along with a flood of random SIM cards with static IP’s.

Cellular is still very broken in Canada. When you get to scale it’s very easy to bring the plans down to $30 per sim per month byod by negotiating and sharing the data.

We also have agreements with Apple business for leasing phones, so we try to keep our agreements with the carriers as simple as possible.

Per sim cost, add data to the pool, same features for all (callid, visual vm, unlimited nationwide call) and then let Apple handle the phone pieces.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:siren:

Did Public Mobile/Telus die for any of ya'll just now?

I had my friend try calling five times, and nothing. This is three hours after getting a text confirming my payment for this period, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Telus is experiencing a disruption in Ontario, yup

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/TELUSsupport/status/1445829760320348170

Yup. Mine is back now at least.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cool, I'm now getting voicemails from fax machines/modems.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

If you recently bought an expensive 5G-ready smartphone but live near an airport you might be out of luck.

Much to the surprise of the telecom industry, the federal government recently announced plans for new restrictions on 5G service near most major airports that could deprive thousands of a true 5G experience.

Canada’s telecoms spent $9 billion acquiring 5G spectrum licenses in July, and Telus Corp. says the restrictions, which were announced only two weeks after the auction wrapped up, could reduce the value of its $2-billion purchase by $100 million.
Oops.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

deprive thousands of a true 5G experience.

Oh no not the true 5G experience! :ohdear:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
My iPhone 8+ is starting to feel it’s age, and my wife’s 6s+ basically needs to be within 10 feet of a charger at all times. She’s with Koodo and probably staying there; I’m on a corporate plan with Telus (10GB data, unlimited talk/text for $65 pre-tax) for a place I don’t work at anymore.

1. Is the best deal on an iPhone still buying through Apple directly? It looks like it’s at least $50 cheaper outright for a 12 or 13 vs buying from a carrier; are there any downsides?

2. Looks like Koodo is 4G only - is there any real reason to worry about that? We’re on wifi most of the time anyways

3. Anybody have experience switching devices on a corporate plan? :v: I don’t really need the 30GB of data the new plans are offering, and I especially don’t want to pay an extra $15/month for it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please get your wife the better phone than you this time. That way you'll not drag out the upgrade process until long past the point of decency.

Have you ever called your carrier and asked for a hardware upgrade? They've made a lot of money off you as that "corporate" plan now sucks and has for years. You should be using your "good" (by which i mean bad for your wallet) customer status for a massive device discount, like $400+ off a handset per line. You could just blind port to any carrier not on a contract, but some month to month thing and Telus WinBack team should be calling you within 2 hours of the port, screaming from the hills for you to come back, dripping with incentives. Redflagdeals forum, yuck, has lots of detail on current Telus Winback offers.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 22, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh interesting, I'm largely in the same boat (down to being on Telus), might as well go legit as well.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So I scored a 20gb plan with Virgin for $45 (75-30 24mo rate) as a new customer plus a $100 gc to the source. Might be time to look at what's out there if anyone is over paying for wireless. We're all getting scammed tbqh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

So I scored a 20gb plan with Virgin for $45 (75-30 24mo rate) as a new customer plus a $100 gc to the source. Might be time to look at what's out there if anyone is over paying for wireless. We're all getting scammed tbqh

Ten extra a month for 16gb extra. Urgh that's tempting. Would love to be able to watch YouTube anywhere i go

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone seen any good cell deals for black friday? Preferably running on the telus network

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you don't mind 3G data speeds you can get a deal with Public Mobile for $33/mo net for 5GB/month with a bonus code 2GBBONUS

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it’s really early and my coffee hasn’t hit yet, but I can’t actually figure out how much Rogers wants to add an LTE Apple Watch to my Infinite plan. I’m debating upgrading my watch and I guess want to see if it’s another $10 addon like my tablet, or what, but I’m blanking on finding any actual price. Anyone have an LTE watch on their infinite plan that has any hard non-retention pricing?

I’d like to maybe just carry my watch on walks/jogs/etc but if it’s like $10/month again I’ll just get a regular model and keep tethering to my phone.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
$10 from the lols of it:
https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/apple-watch

Apple Watch plan details
$10 per month when added to a Rogers InfiniteTM plan

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't believe I couldn't find that page. OK well ugh, I'm not sure why I expected it would be less lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Anyone using Shaw Mobile?

Because I'm already a Shaw internet customer, I can get a pretty favourable rate that the poor Koodo guy on the phone couldn't possibly match. I also have access to the Shaw Open network, which greatly reduces my data needs. Seems like the only caveat is if I get out of their network, I need to turn on data roaming to jump onto a partner network (i.e the big 3).

Edit: Figured I might as well enjoy it before Rogers buys out Shaw and ruins everything.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-rogers-shaw-broadcast-1.6397539

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 27, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Well I switched, and I'm now paying a third of what I was before with all the same features so :toot:

They had a sign-on promotion for $25/mo for 6GB, which is insanely good, but I wanted the uber-cheap discount plan that I get as a Shaw Internet customer. I'm around so many Shaw Open hotspots that data really isn't a big problem. I've haven't had the reception problems that some people complained about, but I also knew to turn on Data Roaming, which I think is needed for the phone to hop onto Rogers' towers when out of Shaw's coverage area.

Either way, the way Canadian telecom goes, Rogers will acquire Shaw and gently caress up all these great deals, so might as well smoke 'em while I got 'em.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My wife is being kicked off data roaming for google Fi, so we need a Canadian tablet data plan.

We're both currently on Public Mobile, but aren't opposed to switching to something that we can share and add data to.

What's the current best deal for 2 phones plus 1 or 2 data sims?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So it seems I’m caught in one of the dumb device return plans with Bell.

Who offers the best current plan in Canada as clearly I just need to buy a phone outright now

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bargain $$ with good coverage is probably Public Mobile, but you get the suck-rear end data speeds. If you do little data off of wifi (such as me), it might be fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PM might do you otherwise its whoever has the best deal of Koodo/Virgin, prob Koodo as they'll want to lure you away from Bell

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public Mobile and Koodo are on the Telus network, so coverage is excellent.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That device return poo poo is the worst new idea spewed forth by the bubbling cauldron of mba-holding cursed souls of Canadian telecom. Phones are finally fast and shatter resistant enough to last far beyond any plan duration they can get away with so the new advertised price is based on handing back a perfectly good phone for a needless upgrade in ai-smudged megapixels and puke green case colour.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How anal are they about returns as the screen has general wear marks but not cracks or anything

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

How anal are they about returns as the screen has general wear marks but not cracks or anything

You can still recycle it for free! :pseudo:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Shaw Mobile trip report: After a month, I'm pretty satisfied. Shaw hotspots are everywhere where I am, and I've had no call drops or delayed SMS msgs.

Data normally works fine when not near a hotspot. Seems like the only data problems I get are at work—sometimes data is slow, or even weirder, it won't download MMS messages despite browser/apps working fine. Calls/SMS have worked always.

For $10/month and access to a large hotspot network, it's hard to give a gently caress about occasional data problems. Apparently without a Shaw internet plan, you could still get all this for $15/month (data $10/GB, good for 90 days, same hotspot access). Not looking forward to the Rogers/Shaw merger loving up these prices.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Shaw Mobile trip report: After a month, I'm pretty satisfied. Shaw hotspots are everywhere where I am, and I've had no call drops or delayed SMS msgs.

Data normally works fine when not near a hotspot. Seems like the only data problems I get are at work—sometimes data is slow, or even weirder, it won't download MMS messages despite browser/apps working fine. Calls/SMS have worked always.

For $10/month and access to a large hotspot network, it's hard to give a gently caress about occasional data problems. Apparently without a Shaw internet plan, you could still get all this for $15/month (data $10/GB, good for 90 days, same hotspot access). Not looking forward to the Rogers/Shaw merger loving up these prices.

They were just saying on the news this morning that losing Shaw Mobile is what the competition bureau is concerned about with the Rogers/Shaw merger. So I guess that puts a big question mark about what's going to happen when the competition bureau forces them to sell off the mobile business before Rogers is allowed to buy Shaw. Presumably Shaw Mobile won't be able to synergize with all those Shaw hotspots anymore, nor will there be the discounts for having the same internet and cell provider.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Presumably Shaw Mobile won't be able to synergize with all those Shaw hotspots anymore, nor will there be the discounts for having the same internet and cell provider.
You know, as cheap as ShawMobile is, that's not even the part that bothers me. The hotspots are where the gold is. They're all over the place in the west, and I don't know if the big 3 have really got as big of a head start as Shaw did in setting them up. I'd really hate for them to get ruined because Rogers wants to milk them for more golden toilets.

That being said, Shaw is the lowest I've ever paid for cellular, internet, and TV. It's a shame the Competition Bureau is only concerned about the mobile division. After the Bell/MTS merger in Manitoba, rates went up less than 6 months later and unlimited data plans went away. I don't think anyone is expecting the service to get better after the merger. gently caress business executives.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You know, as cheap as ShawMobile is, that's not even the part that bothers me. The hotspots are where the gold is. They're all over the place in the west, and I don't know if the big 3 have really got as big of a head start as Shaw did in setting them up. I'd really hate for them to get ruined because Rogers wants to milk them for more golden toilets.

That being said, Shaw is the lowest I've ever paid for cellular, internet, and TV. It's a shame the Competition Bureau is only concerned about the mobile division. After the Bell/MTS merger in Manitoba, rates went up less than 6 months later and unlimited data plans went away. I don't think anyone is expecting the service to get better after the merger. gently caress business executives.

Shaw charges 125/mo (115 for the first year) for gig fibre. I currently pay 69/mo (nice) with a local ISP in Vancouver. Plus, Shaw loving sucks with the worst support/customer service I've ever experienced in my life. Never again, gently caress Shaw.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I currently pay 69/mo (nice) with a local ISP in Vancouver.

gently caress me, if I could afford to live there again, I'd be all over that poo poo.

I dunno, other than having lovely TV boxes back in the day (they're so much better now), I never had a problem with Shaw, and I really missed those hotspots when I was with Telus for 3+ years. I'm sure it's a matter of time before they disappoint me, but it's probably going to be after the merger.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Very excited that my $67 per month paid to Freedom Mobile inc will soon get me additional free access to:

• Le SuperClub
  • Club illico
  • illico TV
  • QUB Radio
  • Fibrenoire
  • SETTE
  • Prise 2
  • Yoopa
  • Blainville-Boisbriand Armada
  • La Semaine Téléromans

And the one I'm most excited for.

• Le Sac de chips

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sadly if you text or talk on Freedom now en anglais you will be charged under bill 96

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

priznat posted:

Sadly if you text or talk on Freedom now en anglais you will be charged $0.96

:newlol:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol@rogers going down nationwide this morning. Bless your heart little beige box MDG pentium windows 98 machine that was running some vital component of their in house dns up until 4:30am. Your watch has ended.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Lol@rogers going down nationwide this morning. Bless your heart little beige box MDG pentium windows 98 machine that was running some vital component of their in house dns up until 4:30am. Your watch has ended.

Was wondering why YouTube was dead today.

Rogers delenda est

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wish I'd preloaded some music or podcasts for my morning jog.

I had to listen to my own thoughts for an hour instead and that guy has PROBLEMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny because Bell aka fourth reich telecom is definitely the worst company in Canada, but rogers far exceeds them in incompetence