Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phy posted:

I have learned that no matter how fast you go, you'll always get a white F350 a yard off your rear tire with the driver drumming his fingers on the loving steering wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzawZQ4Btvo&t=167s

e: the embed doesn't timestamp :argh: so head to 2:45ish

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Clarkson's a prat, but on this he's not wrong

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

e: the embed doesn't timestamp :argh: so head to 2:45ish
Yes it does.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Also I don't know what part of America you're in but loving cops love making examples of motorcycles. I've had a handful of times some highway patrol dickhead stops me "with a warning to slow down for my own safety." Bitch I was doing 85 like literally everyone else on I-40, gently caress off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to say, in my part of America, the cops mostly ignore bikers. You can get away with an awful lot if you're not being wildly dangerous to other people. Especially since the pandemic. I see routinely see people riding around doing wheelies with no helmet and no license plate now.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Clarkson's a prat, but on this he's not wrong

He also once said that if you drive a Hyundai, you probably don't care very much about cars or driving, and if you don't care much about driving you're probably not very good at it, and so you shouldn't have a drivers license.

Once of the truest things said about Hyundais, honestly.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There is absolutely nothing that Clarkson has ever said that was so insightful it was worth hearing from him.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There is absolutely nothing that Clarkson has ever said that was so insightful it was worth hearing…………….from him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is one clarkson-related piece of media that's worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSiHATZPYlo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That will never not be funny

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, PO, for leaving me with 10mm of wire on the original rear turn signal female connectors to work with.

I’m going to take one stab at ordering replacement connectors before I hack the wiring harness and replace the male end with bullet connectors but man, that’s such a last resort thing — i hate hacking up OEM wiring :(

I have it connected right now but the cable feels so brittle from being twisted previously. Not sure I’m confident in it holding up to any significant jostling :|

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Thanks, PO, for leaving me with 10mm of wire on the original rear turn signal female connectors to work with.

I’m going to take one stab at ordering replacement connectors before I hack the wiring harness and replace the male end with bullet connectors but man, that’s such a last resort thing — i hate hacking up OEM wiring :(

I have it connected right now but the cable feels so brittle from being twisted previously. Not sure I’m confident in it holding up to any significant jostling :|

What type of connectors does the DRZ use, bullets or some kind of proprietary plastic clip type plug? If the latter, I suggest you clip and replace the turn signal connectors with standard "bullet" type, since that's what every single kind of aftermarket turn signal uses. You can buy kits cheap on Amazon:

bullet connector kit

You'll also need a crimper. If your turn signals are too short you could always make extensions with the kit and a few lengths of good wire, I've found the best place to source wire is from auto/moto harnesses since it's always copper. I don't like to modify the stock harness in any way but in this case I consider it an improvement.

e: alternative to bullets is to use a molex connector kit and re-terminate the turn signals as well. The advantage to the molex connectors is they are easier to clip/unclip.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 18, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The DRZ uses Mitsubishi Ultra Compact 2pos connectors for rear blinkers so I just grabbed a set along with a few other connectors I need from EasternBeaver in Japan. I’ve ordered from them before and had pretty good luck so I’m happy waiting for them to arrive, otherwise yeah — I would have just replaced the original wiring with bullets.

I needed a few other connectors for other projects too so at least I didn’t just spend $15 shipping on $4 worth of parts :)

The aftermarket lights are connected with bullets, to be clear though — just that the cables are usually super short, so the other end of the bullets is a longer cable that runs under my seat and uses the OEM connector to hook into the harness. I just want to replace that connector since the cable coming out of it is really weak and I had to perform a minor miracle to solder it to my long cable.

I was hoping to remove the pins and just re-crimp but they’re not budging.

Ah well, it works for now and in a few weeks I’ll have a better connector.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

The DRZ uses Mitsubishi Ultra Compact 2pos connectors for rear blinkers so I just grabbed a set along with a few other connectors I need from EasternBeaver in Japan. I’ve ordered from them before and had pretty good luck so I’m happy waiting for them to arrive, otherwise yeah — I would have just replaced the original wiring with bullets.

I needed a few other connectors for other projects too so at least I didn’t just spend $15 shipping on $4 worth of parts :)

The aftermarket lights are connected with bullets, to be clear though — just that the cables are usually super short, so the other end of the bullets is a longer cable that runs under my seat and uses the OEM connector to hook into the harness. I just want to replace that connector since the cable coming out of it is really weak and I had to perform a minor miracle to solder it to my long cable.

I was hoping to remove the pins and just re-crimp but they’re not budging.

Ah well, it works for now and in a few weeks I’ll have a better connector.

You could make a pair of short mitsu -> bullet connector adapters to retain the original wiring harness but use ubiquitous aftermarket signals

e: sounds like you have adapters already, I read good

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah they’re just coming in the mail but that’s the route I’m going :)

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

While I remember, does anyone know if it really matter whether you use gold or silver bullets? I've been using my gold ones because a) bling and b)save the silver ones for werewolves, but is there anything to consider like dissimilar metals, corrosion etc?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/abcactionnews/status/1450402594418008064

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The corpse was then placed under arrest for impeding police business

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress, that language.

So a cop kills one guy and ruins the life of the semi driver who killed the guy.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

So a cop kills one guy and ruins the life of the semi driver who killed the guy.

Seriously. Anything to avoid saying a cop did something. They’re only ever involved in things.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
gently caress the police

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

The corpse was then placed under arrest for impeding police business

We know he's white cause they didn't shoot the corpse

Mister Speaker posted:

gently caress the police

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I was gonna say, this is unusually direct as passive voice goes because it says "the trooper entered the path of the motorcyclist" instead of like "biker collides with cop car which had been driven into his path while trooper was inside"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Extra offensive that the local news adopts that language

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Extra offensive that the local news adopts that language

If they don't, they will get stonewalled by the police and lose their sources.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

"become ejected" thread that loving needle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Local cop murders motorcyclist, destroys the mental well-being of a semi truck driver

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Local cop murders motorcyclist, destroys the mental well-being of a semi truck driver, faces no consequences

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Public receives bill for new murder mobile cop car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I am become ejected, destroyer of semi-truck drivers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was cleaning parts with kerosene a few days ago, got some under my nitrile glove on one hand and didn't realize since the gloves tend to get pretty swampy after ten or twenty minutes anyway. I guess it was sitting there for a while until I felt a burning itchy sensation. Red skin, and today it's peeling. Really hope I didn't do any serious damage. Watch yourself around chemicals, gang.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I was cleaning parts with kerosene a few days ago, got some under my nitrile glove on one hand and didn't realize since the gloves tend to get pretty swampy after ten or twenty minutes anyway. I guess it was sitting there for a while until I felt a burning itchy sensation. Red skin, and today it's peeling. Really hope I didn't do any serious damage. Watch yourself around chemicals, gang.

It's almost certainly contact dermatitis - the kerosene breaks down the cell walls in the skin, basically in the same way as heat does in a burn. It won't kill you (unless it gets infected), but it's gonna loving *suck* for a couple of days to a week. Keep it clean and dry, take an antihistamine and put some cortisone cream or calamine lotion on to stop the itching (lightly dab it on with a clean cloth, don't rub it in).

If it starts really hurting, weeping, or doesn't start to get a bit better after a couple of days might be worthwhile having a doctor look at it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah so actually other than the peeling and INITIAL (slight) burning/itching it's been fine. I'm hoping it was just the outer layer that got fooked because it's been fine for now. Definitely cleaning it regularly though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Stay hydrated, too. Skin trauma really likes good fluid exchange at the cellular level.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Throw some tegaderm on that since it's a high contact area. It's a pricy "bandage" but so worth it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. Hand is either back to normal after peeling or just so badly damaged that I can’t see or feel the flesh breaking down anymore because it looks and feels completely normal. Either way I’m going to be way more careful with the chemicals.

I wish YouTube would let me block channels. I never want to accidentally click on a yammie noob video again :mad:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can! If you're logged in, you click the 3 little dots under the thumbnail and select "do not recommend channel".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Still shows up in searches, unfortunately :negative:

mewse
May 2, 2006

could just wait til he dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

could just wait til he dies