Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Caught myself thinking today in spooky month lamenting the lack of Fatal Frame 1-3 remasters

Isn't the pc version of 5 a way to test the waters for that? Or am I mixing it up with something else? Either way it seems like w way to test the waters for if the Fatal Frame/Project Zero series can bring the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just finished Chasing Static earlier this evening, and it is very good. It has its official release tomorrow. It's like Stranger Things meets Dark with a PS1 aesthetic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As you can imagine, the Discord is going nuts with glee right now. https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1448704788808470528?t=y35KX2CchXwv94JfEFoyFw&s=19

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What discord?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Xenomrph posted:

What discord?

https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/874600953076477952?lang=en

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Untrustable posted:

I just finished Chasing Static earlier this evening, and it is very good. It has its official release tomorrow. It's like Stranger Things meets Dark with a PS1 aesthetic.

gently caress yes, I've been super looking forward to this ever since the beta. I needs to play this game.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Untrustable posted:

I saw that, but does all the sound-related stuff have a visual representation (I saw screenshots of the MC carrying a detector of some sort)?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol I just saw a recent video on this game and they had a massive caveat that it has not been updated for at least a year, glad to see they are back

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

wish more devs would hop on the science horror wagon

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1448956441029713923?t=ji0fjs2ZvXzJ1sGWU6p-7g&s=19

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

https://youtu.be/XMSKFIsNkA8

Looks like its about as good a horror game as you'd get on an 8 bit micro, which is neat

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Untrustable posted:

I played that as part of the haunted PS1 demo disc 2021 and really liked it's aesthetic, will almost certainly be picking it up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Inscryption is out. It's never exactly horrifying but it's consistently creepy with a lot of fun, disturbing subtext to the story. Strong recommend for your Halloween gaming vibes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dev has said its likely Inscryption will make its way to Playstation/Switch as well.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

I saw that, but does all the sound-related stuff have a visual representation (I saw screenshots of the MC carrying a detector of some sort)?

Yes. For sure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Untrustable posted:

Yes. For sure.

ominous

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Inscryption is out. It's never exactly horrifying but it's consistently creepy with a lot of fun, disturbing subtext to the story. Strong recommend for your Halloween gaming vibes.

I beat this just now and it is probably one of my favorite games of recent memory. Absolutely masterfully done and I hope it sells super well. Guy absolutely deserves it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a couple hours of Visage today and...eh. So far I'm not seeing what separates it from a generic indie horror game one would buy for like five bucks, except for some nicer graphics. Feels like a haunted house simulator.

Also bought The Coma 2, which looks neat.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The new Supermassive title House Of Ashes is actually okay so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Played a couple hours of Visage today and...eh. So far I'm not seeing what separates it from a generic indie horror game one would buy for like five bucks, except for some nicer graphics. Feels like a haunted house simulator.

Also bought The Coma 2, which looks neat.

Nothing really, either than nice production values and being longer than average

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Morpheus posted:

It's okay in that you get to repeatedly explore the same space unlocking things each time, while the spook stuff happens. After you unlock those things - usually literal doors - they stay unlocked.

It's way more Outlast than whatever gives you an option to fight back. Unfortunately, those locked things change between runs/chapters. It's a walking simulator (with both the good and bad that come with that) that relies on you memorizing the layout of the house. It's also incredibly trope-y, but it's pretty short, and despite all that, kind of fun. There's an okay story here. For a thing that said "we're going to do PT, but do it RIGHT!", it's an all right couple hours. Check it out on gamepass if you have that. If you don't like it after the first "episode", chuck it. Otherwise, go nuts.

If you're going into it blind and just want to have fun with it, choose whatever chapter thing looks cool, but maybe be prepared to google stuff because a couple of the puzzles are obtuse.

e: i've said "okay" twice here, it's okay. It is. But google a problem if you have it, OK is OK. Also for people who set out to make a playable trailer "a game", it succeeds?

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 22, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Speaking of PT-likes, nothing ever came of that Allison Road game, huh? Looks like it was canceled.

This quote from the developers (regarding the game having outdoor environments) always interested me:

quote:

When you are in the house all you want is to get out, when you are out all you want is to get back into the ‘safety’ of the house.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i watched john wolfe's playthrough of Poppy Playtime and it looks like the latest attempt at an episodic horror game a la Bendy and the Ink Machine, except this one has actual gameplay and genuinely unnerving monster design

looking forward to seeing how it develops

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Disposable Scud posted:

The new Supermassive title House Of Ashes is actually okay so far.

Better/worse than Until Dawn?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

UltraShame posted:

It's okay in that you get to repeatedly explore the same space unlocking things each time, while the spook stuff happens. After you unlock those things - usually literal doors - they stay unlocked.

It's way more Outlast than whatever gives you an option to fight back. Unfortunately, those locked things change between runs/chapters. It's a walking simulator (with both the good and bad that come with that) that relies on you memorizing the layout of the house. It's also incredibly trope-y, but it's pretty short, and despite all that, kind of fun. There's an okay story here. For a thing that said "we're going to do PT, but do it RIGHT!", it's an all right couple hours. Check it out on gamepass if you have that. If you don't like it after the first "episode", chuck it. Otherwise, go nuts.

If you're going into it blind and just want to have fun with it, choose whatever chapter thing looks cool, but maybe be prepared to google stuff because a couple of the puzzles are obtuse.

e: i've said "okay" twice here, it's okay. It is. But google a problem if you have it, OK is OK. Also for people who set out to make a playable trailer "a game", it succeeds?

Do you mean individual chapters are a couple hours? I downloaded it but I was under the impression it was a 10 hour game and that sounded exhausting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

treat posted:

Do you mean individual chapters are a couple hours? I downloaded it but I was under the impression it was a 10 hour game and that sounded exhausting.

If you don't get lost you can solve a chapter in like an hour, from what I have seen. If you play with a guide you could probably do it within 10 minutes.

It's mostly slower because the house is pretty large and the first chapter you'll probably spend running around unlocking doors just because your instinct is "if I have a key then the objective must be behind the locked door" which isn't necessarily true unless it's something very specific

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i watched john wolfe's playthrough of Poppy Playtime and it looks like the latest attempt at an episodic horror game a la Bendy and the Ink Machine, except this one has actual gameplay and genuinely unnerving monster design

The game would function as an impressive pitch to an invester but the lack of transparency on what it is leaves me a little wary. You have to read into the about section to learn it's one chapter and presumably future chapters will be DLC. The actual title should indicate what it is and I'm a little surprised Steam allowed it or maybe more accurately Steam just isn't aware (most likely they just don't care but every other episodic game is up front about being episodic).

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 22, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Five bucks for about an hour and a half of gameplay seems like a pretty decent proposition. Compare it to going out to a movie for over twice that! And if you're a prick, you could refund it, I guess.

vv: I'm going by the steam reviews. Most of them seem to be at 1.2-1.9 hours. I agree with your point about transparency tho.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 22, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

90 minutes is generous but my beef is that it has all the checkboxes for a Bendy style release but isn't directly upfront about being an episodic game.

e: I was curious about the origins because it kind of popped up out of nowhere and I've heard of none of the people involved. They launched a Kickstarter back in September that bombed pretty hard. Going by the numbers on Steam they probably got their investment back and then some so good on them for just winging it.

e2: Ooooooh most of the staff at least on the animation side are formed from animators that did Minecraft and FNaF videos yeah this all makes sense.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They posted some RE4 VR footage over in the Resident Evil thread, and it looks wild. I think I'd be way more scared and frantic seeing everyone running at me in first person compared to the original. Wish I had the right setup.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

I watched that and the game looks neat but man Johns gotten just grumpy over the years

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

I watched that and the game looks neat but man Johns gotten just grumpy over the years

like most youtubers he's trapped within his niche, and horror games are not a good niche in which to be trapped these days

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I remember rolling my eyes to his reaction to Devotion and that was the last time I listened to John Wolfe

btw Inscryption loving rules

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I remember rolling my eyes to his reaction to Devotion and that was the last time I listened to John Wolfe

btw Inscryption loving rules

Yeah, there’s being angry as a bit and then there’s just becoming increasingly more bitter and un-fun to watch and Wolfe went into that second category a couple years ago now.

Also yes Inscryption very good. Banged on through to the ending tonight, the finale is great.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh I don’t know, yeah he can get cranky at times but I find a decent amount of his videos are still fun (for me, of course).

And yea, Inscryption is real cool. I wish I didn’t suck at it so much though lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's an insane amount of secret stuff people are finding in Inscryption, too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DnUjnnScEjTR9Ne0fGJQDyhWP6dbZIIlEakzhukOdSs/preview?pru=AAABfMkENcU*-TXI9WkYpYp5RH_5E0SWJw

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh I don’t know, yeah he can get cranky at times but I find a decent amount of his videos are still fun (for me, of course).

And yea, Inscryption is real cool. I wish I didn’t suck at it so much though lol

I swear

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I thought Visage was what Allison Road ended up being?
Also enjoying Chasing Static a lot, its very well done.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I finished up House of Ashes.
I think I like it more than Until Dawn.

its much longer than the last 2 games, and I really dig the constantly escalating threat of whats going on. Without any spoilers it gets WAY bigger in scale than anything the other games have approached.

Salim is the ultimate bro.

One spoiler I guess, it has nothing to do with the actual plot but its a "callback" I guess?

When you survive, its exactly 6 am. You survived, Until Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I know the developers of House of Ash said it wouldn't all be a hallucination/dream, but did they find a loophole which made that technically true, or did they actually follow through on their promise?