Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You can also paint them without the pin lines, seal them with a gloss coat, and apply some pin liner that's normally used by the ww2 tank modeling community. I think it's from Tamiyo? I forget exactly, but I'm sure someone can give you a link. Matte coat over the top after you do that, and it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

GreenMarine posted:

What's the trick to getting clean pin washes on (for example) the PHR plate seams and so forth? Or is there some other good way to get those to pop, but also not bleed into the panels.

I made a homebrew panel lining wash. 10 parts water, 10 parts matte medium, 1 part flow aid, a few drops of black acrylic ink. Then slop it on the model and work it into the seams, brushing it off the flat surfaces. Also, paint your model a bit brighter than you want it to look at the end. It's how I did my UCM ships.

I've got a bookmarked video of a guy doing PHR infantry with the same technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Wxomjt8v8&t=298s

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

What's the trick to getting clean pin washes on (for example) the PHR plate seams and so forth? Or is there some other good way to get those to pop, but also not bleed into the panels.

Varnish gloss and then use an enamel wash such as Tamiya Panel Liner.

Efb

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I just bought a remnant fleet starter because I want to assemble and paint tiny space ships, even if the closest other players are 2 hours away. :toot:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Decided to clear out some of my backlog and get these done finally.

I decided that my Resistance army is going to be a mashup of randomly applied 'cyberpunk' colours because sod it, why not?

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 5, 2021

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Ugleb posted:

Decided to clear out some of my backlog and get these done finally.

I decided that my Resistance army is going to be a mashup of randomly applied 'cyberpunk' colours because sod it, why not?

Those look great! The Hydra/Circe remind me of the hovercrafts from Walter Jon Williams's Hardwired or Gibson's Count Zero.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Cheers!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

On the topic of recently painted things:

Pretty easy magnetizing job on this.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

On the topic of recently painted things:

Pretty easy magnetizing job on this.

Nice touch of pink there, I like that.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cross post from the oath thread, finally got these out of the backlog.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

And here's the announcement of all the new light units we could tell were getting attention internally, explaining why so many unit changes over the last year have been for a light vehicle meta no one was playing.

https://community.ttcombat.com/2021/12/07/advent-calendar-07/

UCM buggies have a good silhouette to them. PHR skimmers are weird lookin, can't tell what that unit is supposed to do visually.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I like those PHR skimmers a lot, even though the little flap-things look kind of Shaltari in style.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

quote:

The PHR Advanced Armour Battlegroup, contains 4 Diana Jetskimmers. These are perfect for destroying large enemies by combing their Molecular Agitator. Alternatively you can build them as Aurora Jetskimmers.

Sounds like they are an anti-behemoth unit. Some sort of focus fire to strip hp off high DP things?

Aurora on the other hands suggests an aura ability.

I think I'll be picking up the Resistance box to build out that army at some point.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Anyone want to play guess the RRP on these Armour Group sets?

I'm pretty sure TTCombat are trying to reduce inflation with some if their recent releases, they must be the only company in the UK lowering prices.

If the plastic starters with resin commanders are £35, what are the all-resin but smaller armour groups going to be?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

Anyone want to play guess the RRP on these Armour Group sets?

£30

It's a hard sale on a shelf at £35 or higher when you can see how much more you get in a starter set than one of these expansion boxes. Scourge for instance Savager and Harbringer is £30 MSRP by themselves, but it's also got Corsairs (£10) and the new things which I'd guess if sold in a pack of 4 by themselves would be £10 as well.

The cost of the models is still mostly in design and labor, not materials, so it makes sense to sell more resin at less margin for just more currency flowing.

I wouldn't be surprised at £35. £40 would be a price at which you'd have to really want every model, a dismal prospect for any long time player.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Slyphic posted:

£30

It's a hard sale on a shelf at £35 or higher when you can see how much more you get in a starter set than one of these expansion boxes. Scourge for instance Savager and Harbringer is £30 MSRP by themselves, but it's also got Corsairs (£10) and the new things which I'd guess if sold in a pack of 4 by themselves would be £10 as well.

The cost of the models is still mostly in design and labor, not materials, so it makes sense to sell more resin at less margin for just more currency flowing.

I wouldn't be surprised at £35. £40 would be a price at which you'd have to really want every model, a dismal prospect for any long time player.

That's the thing isn't it? If they cost more than the starter armies they look poor value, even if they are cheaper than buying units separately.

I wonder if the Neptune dropships are resin or plastic. The description of the PHR box says you get two although the pic shows one. You already get 6 in the starter army so I doubt you'd really use 8 of them.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I'm a bit surprised to see any medium dropships in them, figured anyone upgrading from the starter sets would have more than enough of those and you'd get different options in the boxes.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I am a sucker for the Old Earth Army Military style in the Resistance so those Striker like vehicles are awesome.
Those PHR Jetskimmers are great too although they don't look at beefy as the other PHR Jetskimmers look.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

I'm a bit surprised to see any medium dropships in them, figured anyone upgrading from the starter sets would have more than enough of those and you'd get different options in the boxes.

You only get 3 lifthawks in the resistance starter so having a couple more makes sense.

I really don't think you need more for PHR though, I don't think I've ever come up with a 1500pt list that needed more than the six you get in the starter.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ugleb posted:

You only get 3 lifthawks in the resistance starter so having a couple more makes sense.

I really don't think you need more for PHR though, I don't think I've ever come up with a 1500pt list that needed more than the six you get in the starter.

Oh right, forgot that was the starter that didn't directly double the contents of the original like the others did! Suppose it's just Shaltari and PHR that are questionable for it then, but I guess it's a tradeoff for making the box work by itself in addition to a next step from the starter.

Anyway, I've got a new space and it came with some shelves so I decided to set out all my Zone and Fleet crap that's previously been stored in boxes.

Didn't realize just how much poo poo I have now until it was all set out at once.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

New ship class for Dropfleet, Cutters!

Monitor sized but the opposite roles, focus on speed but fragile.

They look solid to me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Updated scenarios from the out of print 1st ed books for Dropzone today.

Yesterday was a a Carnevale short story, got to say so far last week's reveals were more exciting. Ahh well, free content either way.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

A crashed monorail spilling out Maulers is an amusing variant even if I have no idea how they'd fit inside a train. Got to try switching them out for Apexes instead to make a piñata of suffering even if the scale makes even less sense.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

UCM Behemoth sighted! apparently this is a low quality test print so it will be more detailed.

I recall Dave invoking 'battletech' when talking about this one. I see why.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Ugleb posted:

UCM Behemoth sighted! apparently this is a low quality test print so it will be more detailed.

I recall Dave invoking 'battletech' when talking about this one. I see why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpYOI_tFwxQ

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

PHR and Shaltari stations coming for Dropfleet!

I rather like the PHR one. Wonder what you'll get in a pack.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Always had a vague desire to get the Scourge station upgrade kit but never did, guess I'll never have to now if a proper station kit comes out.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

Always had a vague desire to get the Scourge station upgrade kit but never did, guess I'll never have to now if a proper station kit comes out.

I'm guessing they'll stick with the upgrade kit for Scourge, but who knows? Would be cool to have an all scourge option.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

WIP on the Cutters.

Fastest ships in the game it seems.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

New stuff. 5 new standard chassis, one for each faction, each with two weapon options. And a new dropship for the UCM. PDF and builder updated with them.

https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/01/21/dropzone-commander-armour-battlegroup-releases/

I like the Vulture, but neither the sculpts nor stats for the polecat. The prospect of being able to carry more Wolverines or Longbows for cheaper is appealing, and it just has a nice profile, reminds me of the Alien dropship. More low-E weapons, is... who gives a poo poo, infantry never go to walls unless you're a noob or a paintchip aficionado.

Scourge skimtanks, I've got a group order with a friend for the battle box, it seems a good balance of stats for the Plasma Lance. I'm annoyed by the Photon blaster just slapping some scifi name on some rules, it doesn't feel coherent to me. And the profile of it is too minimal for me.

I'm not a fan of how little differentiation there is between the new PHR models, but I like both concepts. The way the Aurora's rules are written is horrible. I get what it's supposed to do, but I'm not sure I could have worded it more poorly if I was deliberately trying to be obtuse. Also, the rest of the PHR skimmers losing a point of evasion because this one needs to be dodgier feels unnecessary.

I really like the Arrowhead's rules and concept, but I like the shape of the Atlatl better. And I despise yet more Shaltari teleporting weapons, it doesn't feel clever, just annoying to play against. There's no good defense against it, no clever counter play. It's a 'Gotcha!' game mechanic, and those can gently caress right off into the land of beer'n'pretzels.

Not a fan of the Patton at all. It's a better weapon with better transport options than the Hannibal in a better slot for a little less armor. But also, it's an AFV that doesn't transport troops which feels wrong. I don't like how it fits into the Resistance army composition at all.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The description of the Diana in the post makes it sound like you shoot them into each other to power up the shot from one unit, which would be cool as you could hide most of the squad and only have to expose one out in the open. But near as I can tell it actually just treats the squad as one unit for the purposes of focus, so all the tanks have normal line of sight targeting restrictions? The Aurora does work like that, at least, since it's not making a shooting action.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cutters going up for pre-order this week.

Honestly I'm surprised how soon they are coming out, the lighters still feel recent to me!

Rules seem interesting, I like the PHR spotter idea, could pair well with a Dark Matter Cannon. The purge energy siphon might be really strong for protecting your bigger ships by dumping spikes, unless they are already cloaking.

I kind of feel like the straight gunship designs are going to be competing against the existing classes for space in a list. The Shaltari light ship hunter (very fast) seems a bit similar in role to the teleporting lighter.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Re: Cutters

Shaltari have good silhouettes and that Remnant ship is aping the classic CR90 which still looks great. I wasn't a fan of the Havana due to the asymmetry versus the rest of the fleet, and I haven't changed my mind yet. PHR looks exactly like the corvette to me, except for the one with the thing sticking out of the bottom; the corvettes are pretty.

Hate the scourge models. They look like something I made out of sprue leftovers.

Rules wise, I don't like the Parasite's 'Energy Siphon'. Spikes don't represent only energy output, they're also a measure of activity and comms traffic and information density. It makes no kind of sense whatsoever that Active Scanning orders and Detectors could accidentally boost a ships power by listening too hard. How this rule made it through the whiteboard phase is baffling (its not actually baffling, they have no editor).

I'm tepidly hopeful they set aside 5 minutes to correct a bunch of accrued typos now that they're giving the rules and stats their biannual week of attention. And nerf the gently caress outta the Agrippa.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

There's a ship that forces silent running, one that forces standard orders, just need a ship that forces max thrust now.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Balance pass is up.

The Agrippa gets a bit of nerfing, as predicted.

Quite a few ships getting point reductions, not many increases.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Warning fellow Dropzone players, TableWar.com is selling a DZC mat, but it's a bait and switch

I ordered this mat, 4x4 'Urban Zone' mat - https://tablewar.com/collections/fatmats/products/4x4urbanzone-10mm

It's supposed to look like this

or this

or this

But what they sent me was

While they did send me a full refund, they also argued with me that there was nothing wrong with the mat I received.

quote:

The mats look very different under different lighting. All I can tell you is that the mats in our warehouse are the color you received and the designer confirmed that they are correct. I do not have a mat to send you that matches the box label (which always prints out differently than the mats due to CMYK coloring and the way they print on mats vs. paper)

My guess is they have an entire print run that failed and just don't want to admit it for some reason.

Which means the ONLY dropzone mats out there are these from DeepCut - https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product-category/game-mats-for-games/compatible-with-dropzone-commander/

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Well, happy I splurged on the extra shipping for a mat from Deepcut then. I will say the mat I got from them was a bit darker than the pictures showed, but nothing so egregious as that.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It is so hard to get a good mat in the theme you want at a reasonable price. Because print quality varies dramatically.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I have that same FAT mat, bought it years ago before I heard about how lovely the company is. It is definitely not as blue as the one you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Played a game over the weekend on the blue mat. https://yadzcb.friestman.net/battle-report-2022-02-19.html

I wanted to get some shots with the papercraft building set and a variety of models on it. Still hate it.

I ordered a Deep Cut mat which should arrive within the next two weeks, and then I can get some side-by-side pics and I'll write up a full scathing review as a blog post.

In the meantime, the Scourge battlebox arrived and it's a lot more compact than I thought it'd be. Everything was packed in bubble wrap bundles. Oppressor for scale.

The new Spectres are slightly less wide at the tips than a Hunter and just a bit shorter lengthwise. But overall skinnier.

The new Harbinger troop compartment is a giant hunk of resin. I think I can drill a hole in the middle to accommodate the widget in so it can magnet onto the bottom of a standard harb dropship. What's really irking me though is that it's not a stretch to believe a Screamer could contort itself inside, but the Spectres ain't going to fit unless they're flexible or something. It's about exactly wide as two of them side by side in the middle of the compartment but they're widest on the rear end end, the door in front can pass exactly one, and if you leave off the weapon you could stack 'em 2 high and 2 wide and maybe fit them in, but no way with the weapon. Maybe, maybe, if you had some in backwards and they like folded up somehow for storage. But it'd look like the classic 2 Hannibals sideways in a Kraken.

It feels like they just stopped caring about WYSIWYG transportation.

Also, the Corsair ion attachment looks like scaled down with some engines slapped on it'd make a fantastic DFC fighter model (stop loving around with behemoths TTC and just give me faction specific DFC launch packs already. Also factional DZC command cards.)