Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One year ago the only troop I respect had a great day

https://twitter.com/coffeeshopjihad/status/1451220865304207360?t=Zs5KW--Bf-dvRr0FZYvCyg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why does my dick have a camera

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
For live 'streaming'

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I get the feeling that someone in the Ft. Bragg public information office got slammed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I love to see the MIC supporting small entrepreneurs.

Ms. Finite is also a great demonstration on how to “Tweet through it”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Make hay while the sun shines good for her

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eason the Fifth posted:

For live 'streaming'

livecreaming

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Zamujasa posted:

livecreaming

:hmmyes: :weiner:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I love to see the MIC supporting small entrepreneurs.

Ms. Finite is also a great demonstration on how to “Tweet through it”

She's the hero we need in these times.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
dust 'em off

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1451338042501996545

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1451339095729483781

https://twitter.com/JoeHaydu/status/1451340160034119681

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Rumor I heard was this was a retired colonel and not some random horny E4. The PAO at my unit worked for him when he was still active at 18th ABC. Let’s just say that talk wasn’t out of character according to her.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The official statement from Fort Bragg was that it was an “administrator” so yeah that was some horny old civilian

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

as an aside I'm surprised the whole underboob thing hasn't really took off more

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
The investigation report into the Bonhomme Richard burning in San Diego in July was just published — interestingly the command inquiry recommends extensive consequences (page 341) for the entire chain of command shipboard and the port, including the previous CO, rather than junior enlisted; though the criminal investigation seems to focus on an E2.

https://www.secnav.navy.mil/foia/re...20Oct%2021).pdf

Executive summary starts on .pdf page 19, narrative on 32, findings on 265.

Noticed:

Early on, some Chiefs did not don firefighting gear out of concern for their digicams (pg 35 point 25)

A San Diego firefighter spotted a change in the burn smoke and conditions and warned of a need to immediately evacuate; 90 seconds after all personnel were out, there was a massive explosion (pg 56 point 94)

Significant leadership internal conflict and confusion (pg 60)

An infrared drone helped image the fire during response (pg 75)

Drama within Repair Division, medals given out for nonfunctional anti fire foam system (page 113)

Broken 1MC ship’s phone system (pg 121 point 415)

Unauthorized lube movements (pg 124 point 441)

So — this was deep in Covid times, 55 personnel were unavailable to respond that day due to sick in quarters or restriction of movement, and I am no engineer even remotely capable of handling this situation, so cannot criticize; I think the report is interesting though as a cautionary tale for anyone responsible for other people.

Watch out for the slow creep of entropy, things can go to absolute dogshit very quickly.

(Edit: fixed link, big .pdf takes a minute to load)

Wrennic_26 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 22, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Well I know what I’m reading instead of working tomorrow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wrennic_26 posted:

So — this was deep in Covid times, 55 personnel were unavailable to respond that day due to sick in quarters or restriction of movement, and I am no engineer even remotely capable of handling this situation, so cannot criticize; I think the report is interesting though as a cautionary tale for anyone responsible for other people.

Watch out for the slow creep of entropy, things can go to absolute dogshit very quickly.

(Edit: fixed link, big .pdf takes a minute to load)

As perhaps the leading expert on shipboard disasters on this forum, I shall read it and post my thoughts later this weekend.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wrennic_26 posted:

This hit my feed on The Trolley Problem the other day and it sort of documents stuff like that - how many little things go wrong before the big thing even is possible to go wrong:

https://twitter.com/hachx0/status/1450140177284927499

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
uh

Alec Baldwin just killed someone.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1451368198306025473

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/n...cc47b69ce5.html

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 22, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What a storied career of being a gently caress up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Probably should’ve said “filming”

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i hope this doesnt push him back into addiction

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Sounds like it might have been a Brandon Lee situation. gently caress having someone point a gun at you, regardless of 'blanks'.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Sounds like it might have been a Brandon Lee situation. gently caress having someone point a gun at you, regardless of 'blanks'.

The fact that it was a cinematographer and not a co-star during filming suggests Baldwin might've been loving around. It's a western as well, which suggests revolvers, not semi-autos.

I also wonder if, given his very vocal politics, someone on set switched out the prop gun for a real one, and no one checked beforehand. I'm not putting real weight behind that speculation, though.

There is a very real chance Baldwin eats a negligent manslaughter charge for even pointing a prop gun at someone and discharging it, thinking it was "fake."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 22, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They might also have been shooting a scene where Baldwin was supposed to shoot at the camera.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The fact that it was a cinematographer and not a co-star suggests Baldwin might've been loving around.

I also wonder if, given his politics, someone on set switched out the prop gun for a real one, and no one checked beforehand. I'm not putting real weight behind that theory, though.

Or a scene with him shooting at the camera?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Sure, but I'm wondering how the second person got shot, unless they were standing beside or over the woman who got killed.

It's actually kind of reassuring we DON'T know anything definitive yet past the fact that "it happened," because it means people are doing their jobs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

This hit my feed on The Trolley Problem the other day and it sort of documents stuff like that - how many little things go wrong before the big thing even is possible to go wrong:

That’s just Angel’s Flight, though.

quote:

A survey of funiculars worldwide also found that each system utilized cars equipped with braking systems or backup safety cables.

No one else hosed up as badly as them.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAR0303.pdf

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This article makes it sound like the gun was loaded with live ammo and Baldwin didn't know.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-movie-fatal-shooting-director-crew-member-dead-rust-1234860500/

The gently caress are they even using live ammo for? Too lazy to buy casings and bullets and make their own without primers and powder? Special effects could easily make a gunshot seem real now. Assuming it was a revolver since the set photos elsewhere show a western style set.

Plenty of blank firing revolvers with plugged barrels out there too.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

She made so much loving money off of that that she's set for life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

She made so much loving money off of that that she's set for life.

35G per month

:eyepop:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

a plugged barrel gun shooting blanks is what killed brandon lee iirc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

They had cheaped out and made dummies by dumping the powder from real bullets but left the primers. One of those dummies was fired and the bullet was stuck in the barrel of the fully functioning weapon. The dummies were switched with blanks and the powder charge in the blank was enough power to send the bullet into Lee's body.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ded posted:

Proper plugged barrels are welded or the barrels are never fully drilled (like starting pistols).

E: which goon did this

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1451022870449098758?s=20

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 22, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anyone want to take bets on how soon a Guardsman will shoot a migrant at the Texas-Mexico border?

https://thefederalist.com/2021/10/21/abbott-deploys-armed-national-guard-to-border-to-arrest-illegal-aliens-for-trespassing/

The Federalist posted:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott gave the green light for thousands of specially trained National Guard troops to go to the Southern U.S. border and begin making arrests of illegal aliens who are trespassing in the state.

In a new deterrence approach to combatting the lasting effects of Biden’s border crisis, Abbott is using Operation Lone Star to grant Guard members new authority to make civilian arrests of illegal migrants beginning this week following at least “40 hours of traditional police training in the use of deadly force.”

Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw confirmed to Todd Bensman of the Center for Immigration Studies that approximately 3,000 of these specially trained National Guard members are scheduled to go to the border over the next six weeks.

“Nobody’s ever really used the guard before in this capacity,” McCraw said. “We’re going to use them to actually secure the border. The governor, the legislature, and the citizens of Texas have made it very clear; they want the border secure. It is good for our federal partner as well. The federal government should be thanking the state of Texas, and it’ll make the rest of the country safer as we increase the level of security.”

The newly-armed Guard will primarily work with the Texas Department of Public Safety officers in overwhelmed areas such as Del Rio, Texas, to arrest, handcuff, and charge individual male illegal aliens who are traversing private ranchland to get into the United States.

“[Ranchland] owners have all entered into state agreements to become complainants in misdemeanor-level criminal trespassing cases that DPS officers will charge (and have been charging since July),” Bensman reported. “The so-called single male ‘runners’ run because they are still subject to federal instant expulsion policy to control the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Women, unaccompanied children, and family groups will not be arrested by the state.

Since the beginning of the fiscal year in October 2020, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol has encountered more than 1.5 million illegal aliens at the Southwest land border, according to official CBP data, including more than 200,000 migrant encounters in both July and August. The Washington Post reported yesterday that according to unpublished CBP data obtained by the outlet, border arrests hit an all-time high as “U.S. authorities detained more than 1.7 million migrants along the Mexico border.”

Abbott signaled earlier this month that the Texas National Guard was “gearing up” to handle the increasing number of illegal aliens making their way across the border using caravans.

“Texas National Guard is gearing up at the border for increased caravans attempting to cross the border caused by Biden’s open border policy,” Abbott tweeted. “They are working with the Texas Dept. of Public Safety to seal surge locations at the border & arrest trespassers.”

Biden should do what Eisenhower did and Federalize the Texas National Guard. That would take the Texas Governor out of the chain of command.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 22, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

35G per month

:eyepop:

I subbed to her OF after the whole thing blew up in the news and DMed her recommending that she should get a financial advisor / planner that is a fiduciary if she didn't already have one. She said that she had one and that she knows the level of income she has probably won't last forever, but with the right investments over a few years she could be raking in the dough. She's smart as hell and is absolutely set for life because one loving idiot forgot to use his regular Twitter account.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The fact that it was a cinematographer and not a co-star during filming suggests Baldwin might've been loving around. It's a western as well, which suggests revolvers, not semi-autos.

I also wonder if, given his very vocal politics, someone on set switched out the prop gun for a real one, and no one checked beforehand. I'm not putting real weight behind that speculation, though.

There is a very real chance Baldwin eats a negligent manslaughter charge for even pointing a prop gun at someone and discharging it, thinking it was "fake."

I'm not putting real weight behind that speculation I just made up

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This article makes it sound like the gun was loaded with live ammo and Baldwin didn't know.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-movie-fatal-shooting-director-crew-member-dead-rust-1234860500/

The gently caress are they even using live ammo for? Too lazy to buy casings and bullets and make their own without primers and powder? Special effects could easily make a gunshot seem real now. Assuming it was a revolver since the set photos elsewhere show a western style set.

:stare:

Live ammo? What the gently caress? You’re not shooting Apocalypse now in the Philippines in the 1970

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The osha thread is having the same discussion and someone mentioned blackpowder. Rust being a western, I can't help but wonder if it was a blackpowder revolver for "authenticity" purposes and the on set armorer just knows gently caress all about pre-cartridge firearms. Speculation, obviously.

There's bound to be an investigation about it, so we'll find out eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Somehow learning that Fran Drescher is president of SAG-AFTRA is almost as shocking to me as the firearms fuckup.