Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

where da weirding modules at. Lynch is right - space kung-fu is going to look weird on screen

Denis didn't even put it on screen really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

I guess Dune is built around examining the things we do to survive. The desert hawk eats carrion, the Fremen drink poop water, and the nobles have all their kanly forms to obey. Dune asks us to consider which of these we consider more or less good or disgusting, and why. Herbert keeps asking if ecological drives and pressures are tools for humans to use, or laws for humans to transcend, or an inescapable tragedy to which we can only respond by singing something sad with our baliset....
Meanwhile LotR was written by a WW1 veteran. Tolkien came from a civilisation that had also asked "what shall we do to survive?" and decided the answer was to spend half a decade funnelling a few million of their best and brightest into an industrial meat grinder, as efficiently as possible. The West's pursuit of power, efficiency, knowledge and order had culminated in a sixteen year olds coughing up their lungs as green foam in a muddy hole somewhere.
So Tolkien hunts for alternatives. He knows, in a visceral sense, that "survive" is not enough. Tolkien loves- well- the star and the soil, high transcendent beauty and the simple earthly happiness of eating a huge pile of food in a pub with a few friends. A civilization which has ceased to value these things isn't a civilization at all: it has become pragmatic and organised and powerful, aka, Mordor.
So I can see why Tolkien disliked Dune. There is no happiness in Dune. No one enjoys a meal (except for the baron, prior to his "pleasures") and no one finds the stars beautiful (except possibly Leto, once) and no one celebrates together (except for the Fremen, after murdering a bunch of enemies.) Dune's characters spend the whole book seeing through everything and wind up blind; it is a cast of Sarumans and Saurons.
I imagine Tolkien found Dune to be a 300-page exploration of what the trenches had already taught him: humans need more than survival.

i was wandering through the thread to get some doon quotes and came on this excellent quote from last year which i'm now going to share with u

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

'"Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that,” WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff told Deadline yesterday in a sit-down chat regarding the conglom’s full support of Dune 2."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Movie was good but Max Von Sydow was such a better Liet Kynes.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Initial thoughts:
It's beautiful. True to the book. Very much show and don't tell. (No internal monologues in this film!) They show the unbelievably massive size of a Guild Heighliner. The shields are incredibly done. It's so beautiful. I actually held my breath several times in suspense even though I KNOW THE WHOLE STORY ALREADY. Almost all my favorite lines made it in. The trailer is rather misleading as to how it all happens. The maw of SHAI HULUD in IMAX taking up the entire screen. The stillsuits, thumpers, stilltent, maker hooks, crysknife - all perfect. Did I mention that IT'S BEAUTIFUL???

I WILL be seeing it again soon.

I will have more organized thoughts soon. I am not taking questions at this time.

Bless the Maker and His water.
Bless the coming and going of Him.
May His passage cleanse the world.
May He keep the world for His people.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

vortmax posted:

Initial thoughts:
It's beautiful. True to the book. Very much show and don't tell. (No internal monologues in this film!) They show the unbelievably massive size of a Guild Heighliner. The shields are incredibly done. It's so beautiful. I actually held my breath several times in suspense even though I KNOW THE WHOLE STORY ALREADY. Almost all my favorite lines made it in. The trailer is rather misleading as to how it all happens. The maw of SHAI HULUD in IMAX taking up the entire screen. The stillsuits, thumpers, stilltent, maker hooks, crysknife - all perfect. Did I mention that IT'S BEAUTIFUL???

I WILL be seeing it again soon.

I will have more organized thoughts soon. I am not taking questions at this time.

Bless the Maker and His water.
Bless the coming and going of Him.
May His passage cleanse the world.
May He keep the world for His people.

I would have liked one internal monologue, when Paul was tested. Think it would have been effective if we heard him reciting the litany against fear and didn't cut outside of the room

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dunc fucks

I'm sure that my nitpicks will percolate when the dust settles but it really feels like they threaded the needle

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Randal posted:

I would have liked one internal monologue, when Paul was tested. Think it would have been effective if we heard him reciting the litany against fear and didn't cut outside of the room

i honestly thought that jessica saying it outside the room and paul starting to mouth it slightly, then steeling himself against the test, was a really nice touch

for real though: they did it. they made Dune. the movie is Dune. go see it if you love the book. go see it if you love worldbuilding. go see it if you love movies in general. just make sure to see it on the biggest screen you can find. there are parts of this that are filmed at such angles and in such aspects as to make you feel dwarfed by the image, and allowing the size of the screen to reinforce it left me in awe several times

they nailed it. kull wahad

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
There's gonna be a ton of people (at least on here) who gripe about how it wasn't WEIRD in the way THEY WANTED because they've had their brains scrambled by the Lynch version for decades (and to Westwood studio's credit, they used all the same art direction in all those games I played growing up)

But like, this was way better, and a far more serious endeavor. The Herbert estate and his son were literally like "yeah this is the definitive Dune movie now, by far"

So I dunno.

I need to steel myself against the landslide of hot takes that are coming because I've already seen a few like "was anyone else as disappointed as I was with this?" and I just can not possibly conceive of leaving the theater feeling such a way overall haha

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

gently caress em

Let Shai-Hulud decide

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
anyone who doesn't like this movie is an idiot or a contrarian or both

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The movie is gorgeous and stunningly well done and I actually want to go to a good theatre to see it again asap.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

his son were literally like "yeah this is the definitive Dune movie now, by far"

We change the thread title for a day and we start validating failson cosigns

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RealChalamet/status/1451282856119050242?s=20

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Just finished it at home and I'm blessing the Maker that I have a bigass TV and surround sound system. I've already had friends ask if I wanted to brave COVID-19 to see this in IMAX and the answer now is very much yes.

'Thopters were loving rad. Shields were loving rad. But I REALLY liked how they showed The Voice in action. If I had to nitpick, I feel like they did Piter and Thufir dirty. At least Thufir was mentioned by name and had a few things to do. Piter was barely there and if you hadn't read the book, he'd just be "the Baron's lackey with no eyebrows." I will also say that there's a big part of me that prefers the overall weirdness of the Lynch version at times. My two takeaways from the aesthetics of this version is everything is loving gigantic and just about all the architecture is brutalist.

Also, the sardaukar were awesome but it bugged me that they weren't disguised as Harkonnen during the attack. Like wasn't that THE ENTIRE POINT that they needed to be disguised so none of the Landsraad knew the Emperor was involved? Minor quibbles, though. So awesome.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Considering how uniform the stillsuits are I really liked Kynes' bead/braid thing tied onto the collarbone of the suit iirc

I loved how many costume changes pretty much all the leads had

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have just returned from seeing it in iMax and I was not disappointed one bit. I mean, of course I would have loved to have the dinner scene and the Fenrings, but I not only thought every elision or change enhanced the story for the medium (it was after all, a movie), but I thought it packed a LOT into 2:30 of runtime. My wife, who has never read the book, thought it was an "enthralling movie"

Two gripes (inconsequential spoilers): I thought that the number of prescience scenes could have been cut down. They started to get tedious. Also, I thought Brolin was sometimes and Bautista always wooden.

Is it just me or does clean-shaven Momoa look like Henchman 24 from the Venture Brothers?

About part 2 (spoiler): I was a friend of Jamis. He taught me the value of patience.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

We change the thread title for a day and we start validating failson cosigns

I mean look, Dune is Dune, and the first novel exists in its own right and failson can never change that. I would have been pissed if they'd included anything extraneous from failson's work.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

I mean look, Dune is Dune, and the first novel exists in its own right and failson can never change that. I would have been pissed if they'd included anything extraneous from failson's work.

Sorry I think I missed your point. There's no way that he had any actual input much less adding his beautiful Content. They just flew him out and put him in a nice (but not nice nice) hotel for a week and let him meet jason momoa probably

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Sorry I think I missed your point. There's no way that he had any actual input much less adding his beautiful Content. They just flew him out and put him in a nice (but not nice nice) hotel for a week and let him meet jason momoa probably

Oh sure, absolutely. But there's still a Herbert Estate that safeguards all this stuff same as the Tolkien estate. Not all of them are out there writing new books with magical infinite notes they discovered, but I think his, and the estate's opinion here counts for something at least.

Even Lynch disowned his own movie. He added things. He made poo poo up. He did whatever he wanted, until he couldn't, and it all blew up. I'm glad people enjoy it -- I certainly do -- but this felt a lot more like the actual book to me.

Anyway, this new one loving ruled and I can't loving wait to watch it ten more times.

TOTAL SIDE NOTE TO THE PEOPLE WHO'VE SEEN IT NOW:

Do you think there's any chance we get an extended cut? I know Denis is on record saying he'd like "never do that" or it's not his style or something, but Peter Jackson wasn't exactly known for making enormous epic fantasy films before he did LOTR let alone releasing extended cuts of anything. I think it would be a brilliant move on their part here to release like a 3.5 hr extended cut a year from now and keep interest in Dune high the same way LOTR did.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Just came back from DUNC in theatres. Good movie, glad I went at night and sat basically by myself.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Just please, please tell me they did the Baron justice, that he's not just that floating fat man.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
Not weird enough? It's only part 1 we've still got a chance to have more cat milking

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dunc

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang
How deep into the spice trance should I be when I see this on imax tomorrow?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Augustus Woop-Woop posted:

I recommend a 100mg edible

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

AwkwardKnob posted:

TOTAL SIDE NOTE TO THE PEOPLE WHO'VE SEEN IT NOW:

Do you think there's any chance we get an extended cut? I know Denis is on record saying he'd like "never do that" or it's not his style or something, but Peter Jackson wasn't exactly known for making enormous epic fantasy films before he did LOTR let alone releasing extended cuts of anything. I think it would be a brilliant move on their part here to release like a 3.5 hr extended cut a year from now and keep interest in Dune high the same way LOTR did.

I can't imagine there's much left on the cutting room floor, that's of any significance. I mean, it's not like he filmed the banquet and just didn't include it. What more could there be? Jessica scolding the help for selling towel drippings? The palace garden? Pretty sure those were in the SyFy version and didn't make it any better.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

there's like an entire conversation between paul and the mohiam in the first trailer that didn't make it into the movie, but that also could've just been recorded for the trailer

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Stryder posted:

I can't imagine there's much left on the cutting room floor, that's of any significance. I mean, it's not like he filmed the banquet and just didn't include it. What more could there be? Jessica scolding the help for selling towel drippings? The palace garden? Pretty sure those were in the SyFy version and didn't make it any better.

Jason Momoa himself gave an interview where he said there's like a 5 hour cut that exists. No way you can convince me Denis didn't get enough legit footage to add an extra hour to an extended cut. Personally? I'd just love to see more of the mentats and the Baron and the extraneous stuff. Adding a little bit here and there would just be so legit.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

rndmnmbr posted:

Just please, please tell me they did the Baron justice, that he's not just that floating fat man.

can confirm. spoiler only as to the general characterization and how the baron is handled visually: his feet skim the ground and other surfaces when he moves, and there is a great effect when his suspensors activate. he floats directly upwards at times, but the dragging and skimming when he moves makes him feel at once otherworldly and anchored. he is played as wholly malicious.

Stryder posted:

Also, the sardaukar were awesome but it bugged me that they weren't disguised as Harkonnen during the attack. Like wasn't that THE ENTIRE POINT that they needed to be disguised so none of the Landsraad knew the Emperor was involved? Minor quibbles, though. So awesome.

I think they played up the lack of communication, and the inability of anyone to escape the planet, well enough that this plot point was dropped without any real loss to the narrative, and for a film audience i imagine it made the emperor's gamut much easier to understand. bankrupt the harkonnens, kill the atreides, and the emperor remains on top.

grateful that i saw this with someone who has never read Dune and has never seen any previous adaptations. they loved it, and picked up on every bit of nuance, including the fact that paul is exploiting the messianic myth, that the myth was planted by the bene gesserit, and that paul (and i quote) "is probably not going to do the kind of good they think he will."

i stand by my earlier comment that anyone who doesn't like this movie is an idiot or a contrarian or both. it's stunning. it tells the story in a nuanced and interesting way. it captures the spirit of the novel, but adapts it beautifully to the visual medium. calling it a visual feast would be a hackneyed understatement; it is a visual spice orgy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Now I think about it, the sardaukar in harkonnen gear is actually a fairly trivial plot point, especially since everyone instantly penetrates the ruse lol

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Augustus Woop-Woop posted:

Until you can see through space and time. The visuals, score, and the sound in this movie are amazing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Warner Bros CEO pretty much confirmed it:
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1451174429954818048

Jesus In A Can posted:

Saw it. Loved it.

It needed far more bagpipes during Gurney's charge, the score just crushed it. And the play on how the visions work, with Jamis in the visions saying he'll teach Paul the ways of the desert, and he ultimately does but not how you'd think. Really great.
The Follow a friend referencing Jamis and the funeral which'll hopefully be part of part 2 is also a nice touch.

magic cactus posted:

also was it just me or were some of the refinery scenes and the over all look of the vehicles very reminiscent of the RTS games?
Oh yeah, the sandcrawlers are very much a reference to the RTS games, as are several parts of the score.

Vampire Panties posted:

Only real complaint Zendaya Dove commercial interludes. Chani is an accomplished Fremen. Why not show her doing something?
I think the idea is to give the same feeling as "tell me of the waters of your home world, usul" but without necessarily invoking that and then having to explain all of that? Or maybe it leads into something in Part 2 - that latter part could just be pure speculation, though

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Saw it. it’s good and I appreciate that it tries to do its own thing but I don’t feel that it’s great, though it’s hard to watch it and take it on its own without making comparisons to Lynchs film and the book. I kept wondering what I would make of it if I was going in completely blind to the whole Dune universe like I was when I saw the 1984 film.

Some thoughts: The visuals are great and it really captures that epic space opera feeling. I liked the portrayals of Jessica and Paul. The baron felt a lot more of a menacing and competent figure than he did in the 1984 film. I liked how they played up how the messiah myth among the fremen is a bene gesserit plant. Duncan was handled a lot better as well as the depiction of the sardukar. The mentats felt like there must be a bunch of cut scenes waiting for a directors cut otherwise why even have them in there?

Toto made a better score. Zimmer just seems to phone it in lately and while it works OK the score is completely forgettable. The film felt a little, flat and monotone? Like the city of arrakeen it depicts, it has a brutalist beauty but feels a bit empty. The 1984 film just had a lot more personality to it, for all its flaws. I do want to watch it again to get a feel for it and I feel it might grow on me when I can appreciate it on its own terms without making comparisons.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

the heebie-gbs posted:

visual spice orgy

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Stryder posted:

Trusted sources in my heart confirm that there is an extended pug cut.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I'm going to work on very little sleep because I watched it at midnight yesterday.

And guys.

Guys.

D U N C F U C K S

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The spice must flow

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
while watching, partner kept asking about Jamis "does he become Paul's friend"... well yes, you could say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Saw it, absolutely fantastic. Give Villeneuve all sci fi books now and infinite money. Just a stellar job.