Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah it sucks that an innocent person died, but on the other hand it's funny that alec baldwin murdered someone on a movie set :shrug:

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

right into the camera worker

[edit]: apparently the director was talking to them at the time?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah it sucks that an innocent person died, but on the other hand it's funny that alec baldwin murdered someone on a movie set :shrug:

Care to explain the joke or is your soul so tainted by irony that you can't even make the difference between both?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Care to explain the joke or is your soul so tainted by irony that you can't even make the difference between both?

Lmao

Is soul tainted by irony too long for a un?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Next time Alec Baldwin says to put down coffee, you'll listen

They shouldn’t have told him the lead was weak

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
So this is officially the biggest movie set gun fuckup since Brandon Lee right? I didn't miss any?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Odddzy posted:

the duality of man

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah it sucks that an innocent person died, but on the other hand it's funny that everyone told wizard master to suck their dicks

smdwm

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Withnail posted:

odd to think that Alec Baldwin has killed more people than Gary Busey, Randy Quaid and Charlie Sheen combined

... that we know of

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Peace

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

old beast lunatic posted:

So this is officially the biggest movie set gun fuckup since Brandon Lee right? I didn't miss any?

biggest ever, Lee was only 1 dude, Alec might hit a 2 KDR

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

well why not posted:

Baldwin himself is still alive so he technically has an infinite KDR atm.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Excellent work, 47

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol

sad question
May 30, 2020

Inside sources say that director said "What are you going to do, shoot me?" seconds before the incident.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Alec Baldwin, murderer, crazy rear end development

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Coffee is for killers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Yikes

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1451384864947810311

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Strategic Tea posted:

Excellent work, 47

:dudsmile:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Classic Alec

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That account in general is insanely unfunny

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

These guerrilla marketing tactics are getting out of hand, although I must admit they have me wanting to see the movie…

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Wendigee posted:

not sure why the fake or "dummy" bullets would have a charge in them. if they didn't have a charge they couldn't put a "squib" round into the barrel that would somehow be fired by an underpowered blank cartridge.

They shouldn't have. The issue was, was that when they went to make up dummy rounds from real bullets nobody realized that even without gunpowder, there's still enough energy in the primer (the little basically 'blasting cap' at the rear that sets off the gunpowder) to move a bullet. Just not enough to move it to where it clears the barrel. If you're enough of an idiot to not to a bore obstruction check on a blank gun before handing it off to someone who's going to shoot it, you're probably enough of an idiot to overlook 'fire or remove the primer too' as part of deactivating live ammunition.

Blanks are also actually scarily hot loaded, too. That's why they're so dangerous. Since there's no bullet acting as a near-perfect seal to build up pressure, they compensate by really ramping up the charge on the blank to get a gun to cycle. Plus, it also makes for an impressive muzzle flash that looks good on camera.

Thursday Next posted:

what the gently caress? a movie should not be using a real gun, like, ever. there is no reason to do so.

prop guns do not fire, end of story.

why on earth were they using a real gun?

my dude, 'real guns' are used all over the place. Maybe 80% of the time you see a gun in a movie with any kind of budget, it's a real gun that's been lightly modified at best to fire blanks, but they can totally be converted back to a real gun. Film armorers in the US are pretty much all actually licensed by the ATF as full blown firearms manufacturers because of all that they do with real guns.

For lower budget productions, they might use a dedicated blank firing replica gun, but the actual visual appearance of those is all over the place so it's not nearly as prevalent as just using a converted real gun. The only reason you'd do it is because it's way cheaper to have a film armorer just bring out a bunch of blank firing guns - they're legally not 'firearms' so the requirements for storage/safe retention/etc are not nearly as strict.

The only time people you'd really use an actual, honest to god fake gun is if the specific scene you're filming involves the gun being pointed at another actor uncomfortably close such that if it fired a blank gun it would cause injury, or there's a really dynamic stunt where having a real gun might be an injury risk, as 'a bulky hard metal object' is not the best thing you want to be holding while you're throwing yourself to the floor and tumbling around. At which point they switch to using a rubber casting of the original gun.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

all likely true and very reasonably explained ... but films still shouldn't have real guns

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

well why not posted:

all likely true and very reasonably explained ... but films still shouldn't have real guns

Yeah, it's too "in universe". Find some ways to do this without real guns, make replica guns that light up a lightbulb or something and edit the shots in later or whatever. This is bullshit.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you rearrange the letters in Alec Baldwin you get Iceball Wand, so Alec is secretly an Ice Wizard and cast a spell by mistake

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Wizard Master posted:

This isn’t 2004-edgelord GBS guys, this is a terrible situation for everyone involved and you don’t have to feel like you need to make a joke about every situation.

You say that but this fellow has a potential job opening.

roomtone posted:

the woman who died, halyna hutchins, apparently only graduated from her AFI course in 2015. she was 42 until today so that means she went on that course at 34 and a few years later was making a movie with alec baldwin in it. which in most situations would be really good news.

that's pretty inspiring and makes me want to get off my half-depressed behind and go do a practical film course.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You know what sucks about being a Baldwin?

Accidentally shooting and killing someone on set and having life-long PTSD

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not being Alec is probably pretty poo poo too tbf

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh no better hope my Tons Of Cash can do something about this incident and my mental state surrounding it *takes a swim in the vault containing the vast Baldwin lucre* ahh what was I upset about again???

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

That account in general is insanely unfunny

It's a cop kicking a man when he's down, why would you expect it to be anything else?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Oh no better hope my Tons Of Cash can do something about this incident and my mental state surrounding it *takes a swim in the vault containing the vast Baldwin lucre* ahh what was I upset about again???

https://mobile.twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1451380120040747049

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

[e] okay

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 22, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

well why not posted:

John Landis chopped up 3 people with a helicopter including two children on the set of the Twilight Zone movie.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

John Landis chopped up 3 people with a helicopter including two children on the set of the Twilight Zone movie.

god drat for real?

[edit]
On July 23, 1982, during the filming of Twilight Zone, actor Vic Morrow and child extras Myca Dinh Le (age 7) and Renee Shin-Yi Chen (age 6) were killed in an accident involving an out-of-control helicopter. The three were caught under the aircraft when it crashed.[12] The National Transportation Safety Board reported in October 1984:

The probable cause of the accident was the detonation of debris-laden high temperature special effects explosions too near a low-flying helicopter leading to foreign object damage to one rotor blade and delamination due to heat to the other rotor blade, the separation of the helicopter's tail rotor assembly, and the uncontrolled descent of the helicopter. The proximity of the helicopter to the special effects explosions was due to the failure to establish direct communications and coordination between the pilot, who was in command of the helicopter operation, and the film director, who was in charge of the filming operation

:dogstare:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

exquisite tea posted:

And his son is a serial rapist. And he made Blues Brothers 2000.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

America, America, God shed his grace on thee.

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Landis
Landis and four other crew members were charged with involuntary manslaughter. The prosecutors attempted to show that Landis was reckless and had not told the parents and others of the children's proximity to explosives and helicopters and of limitations on their working hours.[12] He admitted that he had violated California law regulating the employment of children by using the children after hours, and conceded that that was "wrong", but still denied culpability.[12] Numerous members of the film crew testified that the director was warned but ignored the dangers. After a nine-month jury trial during 1986 and 1987, Landis, represented by criminal defense attorneys Harland Braun and James F. Neal, and the other crew members were acquitted of the charges.[14][15]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And yet somehow the worst thing to emerge out of John Landis' career in filmmaking was that terrible essay his son wrote about Carly Rae Jepsen's EMOTION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

alec baldwin hasn't done anything good since glengarry glen ross.