Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Electraveler's E also gives +30% ER or more on top of the flat energy, so they are a bit better at batterying a single character.

Here's a gif showing how quickly they can charge a burst:

gandlethorpe posted:

Top: XQ w/ 100% ER (baseline)
    Bottom: XQ w/ 171% ER

Left: No Abundance Amulet
    Middle: C1 Lvl 4 w/ Traveler ER 153% (10.5 energy + 35% ER)
    Right: C4 Lvl 7 w/ Traveler ER 153% (24 energy + 35% ER)

https://i.imgur.com/tKxKyBg.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Holy poo poo fighting multiple ruin guards loving sucks, one is fine, two is ok, but four at once? gently caress off.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I see somebody discovered Fun Island. :v:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Discovered, and now marked as "Never return" lol

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i wanna go to fun island 🥲

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Glazius posted:

Well, if leaks around the 2.3 artifact sets are right, there's a 4-piece set bonus that stacks up all your healing into a bomb. Qiqi's going to love that one.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Healing in general isn't terribly useful, so now you can grind your way towards a set that turns healing into damage. If (and this is purely hypothetical) that damage doesn't equal the damage increase from Benny's field... welp. If it winds up doing what people hope then it puts a slightly higher value on Kokomi... but also pushes Jean and Diona way up there. We're right back to where we started only Bennet isn't as valuable. I assume Qiqi fits in here but I don't have her so have no idea if her healing makes the set good/bad/whatever.

It's definitely been a weird ride so far. Any other game would have balance-passed the characters into the ground by now, but they keep dicking the game in general to try to add/remove value for X and it just keeps resulting in Y being insane. Keeping all the plates spinning must be maddening. One of these days they'll try to bump a new Dendro 5* by making everything immune to freeze and we'll have to send help to Gandlethorpe's house.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Seconding the "event good, :words: bad" opinions. This is a lot more fun than Spiral and has been a very good source of mora but the cutscenes are needlessly long considering nothing of actual import was said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mailer posted:

That's kind of what I was getting at. Healing in general isn't terribly useful, so now you can grind your way towards a set that turns healing into damage. If (and this is purely hypothetical) that damage doesn't equal the damage increase from Benny's field... welp. If it winds up doing what people hope then it puts a slightly higher value on Kokomi... but also pushes Jean and Diona way up there. We're right back to where we started only Bennet isn't as valuable. I assume Qiqi fits in here but I don't have her so have no idea if her healing makes the set good/bad/whatever.
i think its fine, for some characters to be better than others, so long as every character feels strong enough to complete content. diluc is not as good at being a main dps as hu tao but hes still strong and feels good to use. Bennet being the best support in the game is fine. It doesn't make other characters less good that someone a bit better exists. Yanfei isn't deleted from the game just because both Diluc and Hu Tao are better pyro DPSes, shes still a fun and strong pyro dps.

If this game had high-end PVP or extremely difficult, optimization required content, it'd be different, but in a game where even the hardest content is relatively low-end and PVP doesn't exist, it doesnt actually matter that some characters are weaker than others, what matters is if characters feel 'strong enough' and good to use.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 22, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yanfei isn't deleted from the game just because both Diluc and Hu Tao are better pyro DPSes, shes still a fun and strong pyro dps.

That's damage. Damage can be dealt with multiple elements, utilize various reactions, and come in both 4* and 5* flavors. Yeah, you're probably going to take Hu Tao instead of Yanfei, but that's 4* vs 5* and there's still times you'd want ranged hits. It gets a bit worse on the comparisons with each release (Ganyu or Ayaka? Diluc or Hu Tao?) but they've dodged a lot of bullets so far.

Healing doesn't have that. My Kokomi, Diona, Jean, Barbara, and Bennet all heal sufficiently for existing content. They can't heal more, and it's all time attack with a dps minimum, so their value is based on what damage they offer. The new set doesn't make healing more useful, it just converts it to damage so everyone is a Bennet.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

New event is fun, Nth'ing all the comments in that it should be permanent thing. Although some of the debuffs are rough, managed to get two of the "take more" damage debuff and a room with two Fatui Pyro Agent's shredded my poor traveler before I had a chance to do anything lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mailer posted:

That's damage. Damage can be dealt with multiple elements, utilize various reactions, and come in both 4* and 5* flavors. Yeah, you're probably going to take Hu Tao instead of Yanfei, but that's 4* vs 5* and there's still times you'd want ranged hits. It gets a bit worse on the comparisons with each release (Ganyu or Ayaka? Diluc or Hu Tao?) but they've dodged a lot of bullets so far.

Healing doesn't have that. My Kokomi, Diona, Jean, Barbara, and Bennet all heal sufficiently for existing content. They can't heal more, and it's all time attack with a dps minimum, so their value is based on what damage they offer. The new set doesn't make healing more useful, it just converts it to damage so everyone is a Bennet.
i mean, if anything, isn't that better? you can just use whichever character you like.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean, if anything, isn't that better? you can just use whichever character you like.

Yeah, i really don't think it's a big deal if other characters are better than others as long as the others can still get the job done well enough that i can just use my faves

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The new set will make Kokomi bar none the best taser team driver in the game, it'll probably make it her prefer team comp instead of perma freeze. Its a team that works already and has the potential to get better with more content/characters/gear releases.

The set doesnt benefit Jean/Diona nearly as much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Finally caught up...

Kale
May 14, 2010

After fighting it probably close to 30 times if not 40 I finally got the achievement for defeating the Geo Hypostasis 3 resurrection pillars in one cycle. It seemed like you pretty much had to get it frame perfect. Like somehow on that run I landed my first Diluc claymore hit the instant it was summoned and was just in the zone into my combo and zooming off to the next two the second the first one dropped and weaving the combo like a fighting game. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was under a second from resurrecting but there it is.

Also started reading the Genshin Manga that came out like a year before the game ever launched and and it's a lot more violent than anything we see in the game by a fair margin. Venti also seems to have a slightly different more trolling personality and talks only in rhyme all the time like Shantotto from Final Fantasy XI. At least this was in the prologue which briefly depicts the Legend of Venessa and we get the fun of The Lawrence Clan leader making her final Coliseum duel against a lesser drake that used to terrorize the Mondstadt region and gimping her chances by sending a bunch of elderly and children from her tribe into the arena for her to have to try to protect too and having the starlit knights fire arrows down upon them when Venessa still manages to get the upper hand. It's only really through Venti's intervention and the people starting to riot that she ultimately manages to win both her and the cities freedom. Neat little prologue story if a bit on the short side. It's also implied she turns into a bird and ascends to Celestia at the end of her life and the bird also looks suspicially like the one that hangs around Diluc who is supposed to be long descended from the same clan as her so makes me wonder a bit.

I can kind of see why they are so hated to this day and even Eula is perceived to be this arch-villain figure by default since all of them in the past really were trash in the manga as was testified too in the actual game.

Anyway Venessa in main game when? Also with China's new laws Venti's god form seems like something we'll never really see in the main game now.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The new set will make Kokomi bar none the best taser team driver in the game, it'll probably make it her prefer team comp instead of perma freeze. Its a team that works already and has the potential to get better with more content/characters/gear releases.

The set doesnt benefit Jean/Diona nearly as much.

Is this the redemption arc of Sangonimiya's Divine Priestess? I guess that's one way to buff a character based on what I recall reading for it (converts a portion of healing to damage or something like that) , but like it doesn't exactly entice more people to try to get her when you hide the information that there's an artifact set coming that complements her and addresses some of her shortcomings while her banner is active.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 22, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this event is cool. gameplay's a little barebones but tbh that's every event. guess it doesn't have to be that in depth when it only lasts a couple weeks

wish the characters would just shut up and let me play it tho

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

After fighting it probably close to 30 times if not 40 I finally got the achievement for defeating the Geo Hypostasis 3 resurrection pillars in one cycle. It seemed like you pretty much had to get it frame perfect. Like somehow on that run I landed my first Diluc claymore hit the instant it was summoned and was just in the zone into my combo and zooming off to the next two the second the first one dropped and weaving the combo like a fighting game. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was under a second from resurrecting but there it is.

I can't believe you were able to do that, I started the game with Diluc and I never came close.

As I found out later, you can destroy all three pillars with a level 1 Noelle burst, so if you need to kill that thing some more try that. ZL's skill is also quite fast but not everyone has ZL.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Araganzar posted:

I can't believe you were able to do that, I started the game with Diluc and I never came close.

As I found out later, you can destroy all three pillars with a level 1 Noelle burst, so if you need to kill that thing some more try that. ZL's skill is also quite fast but not everyone has ZL.

Believe me I can't believe it either. I guess I have some experience with fighting games and FFXIV when it comes to weaving combos and cancelling attack frames that came in handy and I got it just right. Like I said I'm almost certain I was frames away from it resurrecting. My go to for Diluc is to alternate his basic attacks with his elemental skill and if you do it just right he'll cancel some frames and just go straight into the next attack but only if you're alternating. Also if you hit the dash button at just the time an attack ends it'll cancel a characters recovery frames usually and start them at maximum momentum again kind of like a fighting game where if you hit the attack button at just the right time when a character would normally get knocked down and have a several second lie there then get up animation they usually just kind of do some sort of flip recovery animation and can instantly act again. This also works for if a character gets knocked around at all in game, if you hit the dash button just about the moment they hit the ground it'll just kind of cancel all the animations and they'll just launch in whatever direction you're pressing at full momentum letting you get right back into the fight more or less right away.

Yeah though there's probably better characters for it and now that you mention it it's probably possible to just use Noelle's Burst and then do her charge attack and just windmill them with her gigantic sword of light thing which should be in range to hit more than one at a time. I haven't used her in a while but as I recall it has significant range if not a whole lot of power with the levels I have her at right now.

Oh also finally got started with the tunes event last night and ended up doing Ninguang's first since it was right near where you get the instrument and I swear it probably took me about 20-25 tries or so to get a handle on the Pro version of the song enough to get the required points for the rewards. I remember starting it off on normal and being like "Oh yeah this is going to be one of those easy mode Rhythm game things" and reconfirming it a bit with the "hard" version and then the Pro one starts and it's like "Yeah not so much I've gotta focus here". I think it's how it depicts the buttons you have to press being so close together and appearing at similar times that was throwing me off for a bit until I noticed you really have to look for that yellow circle. Once it turns yellow that's your button and it's a fairly generous window with no "perfect/near-perfect/good enough/miss" type windows to worry about. Even then I found myself retrying multiple times until I could nail the opening segment perfect and then focusing on the next segment and so on. Decent challenge honestly.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 22, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

Eh, I'd say getting Bennet is easier than getting a good completely new artifact set, but that wasn't the point. Healing being important isn't done with the new set, so characters still don't really define themselves by healing. The new set just converts it to damage, which is good except that never actually addresses why healing isn't desirable to begin with.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

You can also get that cheevo with Razor's Q. Now, the one you get for killing the cube without destroying any pillar beforehand, that's just nuts. Or you just Ganyu, I guess.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Don't really see a thread for it anywhere so may as well mention it here, but also bit the bullet and just installed Honkai Impact 3rd on Steam which surprisingly runs very smoothly compared to what some of the reviews were saying, but I also opted for the full install on HD (about 7 GB worth of files) just in case the 2GB one ran me into some content streaming issues and lag . I'm not sure what some people were saying about a BSOD in the steam reviews but as usual when I heard complaints about anti-tamper software in a game breaking people's PC's nothing unusual happened to me again so I don't get it. As far as cons go the game has absolutely no English dub and defaulted to Japanese which is fine for me but might be a deal breaker for many who don't like reading subtitles. It also one of those games that just kind of throws you right in after the title screen like "here play this and do these fights for the tutorial while the characters talk about a whole bunch of 'weeb' stuff".

The other slight con is that there's absolutely no way I'm playing this poo poo with a keyboard set-up with the movement defaulting to WADS and J for attack though like it had me doing. Gonna need to set up a DS4 control scheme to facilitate things though because I can see that becoming incredibly cumbersome. This is why I also don't get why some people complain about control schemes though. Like are some people just not aware or resourceful enough to realize that you can program in just about anything with some of these plugin programs like DS4 windows? Like you can literally trick it into thinking the O button is you pressing a specific button on your keyboard if you really want to with the way it works so I don't know. It's not super convenient to rely on an outside plugin program but it's not exactly hard to use either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Also with China's new laws Venti's god form seems like something we'll never really see in the main game now.

there's not any new laws, that was a completely false report.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The "guideline" was an official communication. How well they enforce it or whom they choose to enforce it against has yet to be seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was an official communication but it was also one guy rambling during a speech, not the government sending out a letter to all involved.

regardless, i would absolutely not expect genshin to be impacted by it in any way.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The official communication was just "we hate videogames, they're corrupting the youth and destroying our culture", right around the time that they passed a law limiting minors to 3 hours of online games per week, and at the same time they went a month without approving any new game releases from any companies.

Then an independent industry group of Chinese game developers said "oh gently caress oh gently caress" and had a conference where they made a bunch of new guidelines for themselves on how to not piss off Big Brother Xi and that's where they came up with stuff like "let's ban gays and twinks", as well as "no moral choices where the player can be evil", and "no depicting historical figures in ways that don't exactly match the Official Party Narrative".

Actually that last one's been in effect for a while now though iirc. In FGO, all the characters are half-clothed anime girl versions of legendary/historical figures (like King Arthur etc), and in September its Chinese version renamed every character to "Servant #12345" and so on to remove historical references.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 22, 2021

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

fondly remembering when "depicting chinese historical characters as girls" was banned in china a few months ago. mhy is gonna censor zhuge kongming any day now...!

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

it was an official communication but it was also one guy rambling during a speech, not the government sending out a letter to all involved.

regardless, i would absolutely not expect genshin to be impacted by it in any way.

this is exactly right. also that whole things about new games getting approved. Genshin impacts already out (and huge) in china, so they don't need to really worry.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Radical posted:

fondly remembering when "depicting chinese historical characters as girls" was banned in china a few months ago. mhy is gonna censor zhuge kongming any day now...!

They banned fiction with time travel in it all the way back in 2011 too.
Gotta protect that precious history..... Really I have no idea what the logic is there.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

there's not any new laws, that was a completely false report.

The outright lying and disinformation is getting beyond out of control in the gaming community then if thats the case. So no new "rules" against certain types of character like men with feminine associated traits or whatever it was supposed to be from Xi's government? That was a complete lie that gaming journalism helped spread?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

The outright lying and disinformation is getting beyond out of control in the gaming community then if thats the case. So no new "rules" against certain types of character like men with feminine associated traits or whatever it was supposed to be from Xi's government? That was a complete lie that gaming journalism helped spread?
yes. not just gaming journalism tho, journalism in general. china has more restrictive rules on its art proposed by the government and foreign works are subject to even harsher scrutiny, but also it is not in fact a blasted hellscape from which no art can emerge and they aren't going to shoot the guy who designed venti. recently several of the arknights devs were invited to give lectures at top universities on topics like art, business, marketing, etc, and arknights' most recent character is a dude who looks like

and several of those universities have ties to the government. arknights also has multiple explicit, textually gay characters. now, if arknights put those characters more front and center, was foreign, or had a more political angle with their inclusion, its possible they would be subject to more scrutiny, but theres a long road between that and it being literally illegal.

the reason this misinformation is spread is because theres a vested interest in trying to make hatred of china and chinese products 'woke' or mainstream. again, this isn't to say that the chinese government isn't censorious, especially when it comes to non-chinese media (FGO factually got hit for its depiction of chinese historical figures recently), but that can be true while still having the ways in which its censorious or how much it overreaches be exaggerated.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

x1o posted:

Holy poo poo fighting multiple ruin guards loving sucks, one is fine, two is ok, but four at once? gently caress off.

If you continue to invest in your characters and artifacts, they become a joke. Abyss is still no joke though as a f2p.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Man arknights' art is so good.
Too bad auto-replaying tower defense levels is boring as sin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not like replaying artifact domains or the cryo flower is more interesting!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Traveller posted:

You can also get that cheevo with Razor's Q. Now, the one you get for killing the cube without destroying any pillar beforehand, that's just nuts. Or you just Ganyu, I guess.

I just got None Stand Secure with Childe the other day. I was pretty much just loving around because I realized I hadn't brought any pillar killers into the fight so I decided to play the long game. A House Ill Founded was one of my early achievements because I didn't know how the fight worked so I just kept killing the pillars that the Geo Hypostasis was on top of, thinking that I needed to kill all of them. It was a very, very long fight. I believe I got Juggernaut in co-op on a lesser world level by just obliterating the pillars with Diluc.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The event dungeon would be more interesting if you had to actually choose between branching paths instead of being able to freely explore everything before fighting the boss. And yeah, the shikigami thing should be weaker but always-active passive buffs, or at least always active after you've visited a charging shrine or something (tying back in to one-way exploration - do you go for a loot room or a shikigami buff room).

Unfortunately something about these interior-structure-type dungeons doesn't play nice with my system, consistent ~5fps drop and controls feel sluggish, even with settings turned down. Probably the lighting or sheer number of decorative elements.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

when can i roll for fox mommy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

not like replaying artifact domains or the cryo flower is more interesting!

Actually yes beating dudes up by throwing rocks at them / hitting them with big swords in real time action gameplay is way more fun than holding the "fast forward x2" button while the AI puts the exact same towers in the exact same spots for the 10th time (after I set them manually my first run through the level). At that point the game should just have a 'skip level' button that turns your stamina/sanity into drops because jeez.
World Flipper's pinball levels are fun to manually replay too so I've stuck to that for a while, but I can't stand "autoplay grind" based games.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

yes. not just gaming journalism tho, journalism in general. china has more restrictive rules on its art proposed by the government and foreign works are subject to even harsher scrutiny, but also it is not in fact a blasted hellscape from which no art can emerge and they aren't going to shoot the guy who designed venti. recently several of the arknights devs were invited to give lectures at top universities on topics like art, business, marketing, etc, and arknights' most recent character is a dude who looks like

and several of those universities have ties to the government. arknights also has multiple explicit, textually gay characters. now, if arknights put those characters more front and center, was foreign, or had a more political angle with their inclusion, its possible they would be subject to more scrutiny, but theres a long road between that and it being literally illegal.

the reason this misinformation is spread is because theres a vested interest in trying to make hatred of china and chinese products 'woke' or mainstream. again, this isn't to say that the chinese government isn't censorious, especially when it comes to non-chinese media (FGO factually got hit for its depiction of chinese historical figures recently), but that can be true while still having the ways in which its censorious or how much it overreaches be exaggerated.

Yes we'll I've lamented the whole people love to manufacture a shitstorm thing before but it still amazes me the lengths to which it goes and they legit got me this time. Its the fact that journalism takes full advantage of opportunities to exacerbate it thats the most annoying part of it though. Like just doesnt matter if you get the story right, get people arguing over "controversy" and jack up the comments. IMO its disrespectful to people like me and everyone else that likes getting the right information and doesnt care about controversy and shitposting about stuff.

I was starting to wonder how exactly this stuff was true lately too since the game Azur Lane just had a character named La Malin introduced that I'm amazed got past any censorship and then theres this other one called Blue Archive that apparently just had a bunny event and yeah. Its hard to tell how this impacts male characters just yet though because most of these games have overwhelming female characters, but if they are backing off the sex appeal stuff for female characters even slightly to try to appease Xi then theres not much sign of it yet.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 22, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Actually yes beating dudes up by throwing rocks at them / hitting them with big swords in real time action gameplay is way more fun than holding the "fast forward x2" button while the AI puts the exact same towers in the exact same spots for the 10th time (after I set them manually my first run through the level). At that point the game should just have a 'skip level' button that turns your stamina/sanity into drops because jeez.
World Flipper's pinball levels are fun to manually replay too so I've stuck to that for a while, but I can't stand "autoplay grind" based games.
maybe im the weirdo here cause ive seen multiple people express this opinion and frankly i liek the arknigths version more because i can just hit 'autoplay' and then dick around on twitter for 90 seconds or whatever rather than having to do the exact same skill order/autoattack combo myself every time i want to spend 40 resin to get the pyro flower drops. like neither is actually engaging, difficult, or varied, its just one isnt pretending to be gameplay.

i think both should have a skip level button, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

Yes we'll I've lamented the whole people love to manufacture a shitstorm thing before but it still amazes me the lengths to which it goes and they legit got me this time. Its the fact that journalism takes full advantage of opportunities to exacerbate it thats the most annoying part of it though. Like just doesnt matter if you get the story right, get people arguing over "controversy" and jack up the comments. IMO its disrespectful to people like me and everyone else that likes getting the right information and doesnt care about controversy and shitposting about stuff.

I was starting to wonder how exactly this stuff was true lately too since the game Azur Lane just had a character named La Malin introduced that I'm amazed got past any censorship and then theres this other one called Blue Archive that apparently just had a bunny event and yeah. Its hard to tell how this impacts male characters just yet though because most of these games have overwhelming female characters, but if they are backing off the sex appeal stuff for female characters even slightly to try to appease Xi then theres not much sign of it yet.

It's more a matter of the Chinese government loves to arbitrarily enforce its rules, and pointing to counter examples doesn't really demonstrate anything. Anyone who's favored today can be on the outs tomorrow.

The rules themselves are often completely arbitrary and not defined, thus anything the party decides it doesn't like, they can strike. Some party official didn't like how feminized men were becoming such popular center pieces, and they issued a statement. The next time he sees one in his sights, he'll take it down. If anything, the odd thing is they gave a warning instead of just using the blanket "offending public sensibilities" they always throw out there.