Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use IINA when I need to listen to a folder of music/demos that I don’t want in Apple Music. It’s typically a video player but works well for audio and reminds me of Winamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

VOX isn't bad, if you turn off the online features. It also plays .ogg files.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I use Roon.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Foobar2000 has a Mac app that’s perfectly okay enough.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
How's Parallels on ARM? I have an order in for one of the new MBPs, but, coming from an Intel one, I'm not looking forward to losing easy x86 virtualization.

ARM Windows wouldn't take care of my biggest use case (hardware that has x64 Windows-only drivers and software), but maybe it would cover some smaller ones when Crossover doesn't work for some reason so I wouldn't have to pull out a Windows computer for those? I've always used VMWare Fusion on Macs, though, and I have no idea how well any of this poo poo is working on the M1 Macs.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there any way to edit the songs on your iPhone via Music like the old iTunes? For instance, I used to be able to get in there and edit metadata specifically in my iPhone library. Now I have to delete the entire album, edit it Music, and add it again.

Maybe I’m doing this wrong, but the interface blows. Can’t even figure out to sort what’s on my iPhone via custom settings anymore.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I've installed a command-line app called SUMO, which works with two accompanying apps, SUMO GUI and Netedit.

But as they're unsigned I can't get them to work, it just fails silently when I try. When I right-clicked and opened the app I said OK but nothing happened.

When I check System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Acessibilty the apps don't show.

Any suggestions?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

I've installed a command-line app called SUMO, which works with two accompanying apps, SUMO GUI and Netedit.

But as they're unsigned I can't get them to work, it just fails silently when I try. When I right-clicked and opened the app I said OK but nothing happened.

When I check System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Acessibilty the apps don't show.

Any suggestions?

Does the old key combo work? I always forget what it is, but right click on the apps, then while you have the context menu open, try modifier keys until Show Inspector appears (that's the right modifier), then try to open the app. You'll get a different open dialog that should authenticate the apps permanently.

If this is what you mean you did, my apologies for misreading.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Arivia posted:

Does the old key combo work? I always forget what it is, but right click on the apps, then while you have the context menu open, try modifier keys until Show Inspector appears (that's the right modifier), then try to open the app. You'll get a different open dialog that should authenticate the apps permanently.

If this is what you mean you did, my apologies for misreading.

Hmm good idea but no dice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been pleased to find that Music can be made to work pretty much just like iTunes of old did, just go to Songs and turn on the Column Browser and pretend none of the other tabs exist.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Armauk posted:

Swinsian, if you need a GUI.
cmus, if you're good with a CLI.

swinsian is pretty good! plays FLAC and doesn’t seem to choke on my library being on a NAS which a lot of these players seem to. interface is your standard winamp esque 3 pane aka the best one

no dark mode support but what you gonna do eh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I've been pleased to find that Music can be made to work pretty much just like iTunes of old did, just go to Songs and turn on the Column Browser and pretend none of the other tabs exist.

oh HUH! THANK YOU for this -- I've been using the search bar to find songs and artists in my library because it's such a massive pain to scroll otherwise. This is really great and it's a shame it's hidden behind a menu selection.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Data Graham posted:

This works for me with my local iMac music library, but when I plug my iPhone in to move stuff back-and-forth, I'm unable to do anything to the music on the iPhone save for adding music. If I press backspace it says it will delete tracks, but it doesn't. That has to do be done on the phone itself.

No one gives a poo poo about mp3s anymore, and they want me to sub to Apple Music, I get it. If there's a good alternative to manage mp3s on an iPhone that anyone knows of, I'd appreciate it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Beets + Plex manages all my thousands upon thousands of mp3s just fine. Plexamp on my iPhone plays the sweet jams all night long.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

This works for me with my local iMac music library, but when I plug my iPhone in to move stuff back-and-forth, I'm unable to do anything to the music on the iPhone save for adding music. If I press backspace it says it will delete tracks, but it doesn't. That has to do be done on the phone itself.

No one gives a poo poo about mp3s anymore, and they want me to sub to Apple Music, I get it. If there's a good alternative to manage mp3s on an iPhone that anyone knows of, I'd appreciate it.

Are one of the two low on storage or something? Just have iTunes be a mirror of what you want on your phone. Micromanaging your collection on the phone itself is an awful way of managing your music collection. I have 15k mp3s in my iTunes on my phone and I just plug my phone to sync whenever.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

IUG posted:

Are one of the two low on storage or something? Just have iTunes be a mirror of what you want on your phone. Micromanaging your collection on the phone itself is an awful way of managing your music collection. I have 15k mp3s in my iTunes on my phone and I just plug my phone to sync whenever.

Ok, I'm an edge case but my problem is the opposite of that. For "reasons", I've treated my iPhone and iMac music libraries as separate entities more or less. Explicitly do not want to sync them or have them mirror each other. There's nothing awful about wanting control of how music is organized on your phone vs. your desktop.

Even a casual user might want to futz around with some aspect of the music library on their iPhone without having to change their home setup. Things like metadata were previously open to editing on your iPhone distinctly from your Mac. And you could manipulate your iPhone library with all of the tools available on desktop. They've taken all of those options away. Sync or nothing.

edit: vvv yeah there’s no real solution to what I want. They took the option away, just gotta do my best to work with it.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 22, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apple has never been known for flexibility around unusual use cases; you do things the intended way or you have a really hard time,
case in point.

You could maybe set up a second iTunes library on the desktop for ‘phone stuff’ and open that up for editing and syncing? But honestly it’s going to be much easier if you stop fighting the intended workflow, merge everything and then just sync the subset of things you want on your phone.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's a good mac os password-manager a boomer can use? My dad just got a warning from Apple that most of his passwords are crap, and I told him to get a password manager. Which one?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My sisters and I have our parents on a shared 1Password vault so we can get to their passwords when they forget. Seems to work pretty well, our parents are able to use 1Password without too much problem.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

busalover posted:

What's a good mac os password-manager a boomer can use? My dad just got a warning from Apple that most of his passwords are crap, and I told him to get a password manager. Which one?
Why not just use iCloud Keychain?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Xabi posted:

Why not just use iCloud Keychain?

Yeah I just read about that. Apparently it can generate passwords, which is all that's really needed.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dicty Bojangles posted:

My sisters and I have our parents on a shared 1Password vault so we can get to their passwords when they forget. Seems to work pretty well, our parents are able to use 1Password without too much problem.

If your folks are getting older this is a great option to make sure you can access their passwords if you need to and also makes troubleshooting easier if you can pull it up. Also having a dedicated app may easier for old people to understand than an integrated feature buried in settings.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
One of the failure states of iCloud Keychain is that some sites, Apple will generate a password but not save it properly, which means now you have an unguessable password and no easy way to get it back without resetting the password and hand making one and then climbing into the settings to save it.

I don't bother with another password manager, but there are still flaws in the default that might outweigh the benefits of not having to learn a new bit of software.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I can vouch for both 1) 1password being really good and 2) an unacceptable % of the time, keychain fails to save the password it made

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
A few time on update I've had to log out for 1Password to recognize chrome.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

emdash posted:

I can vouch for both 1) 1password being really good and 2) an unacceptable % of the time, keychain fails to save the password it made
I think when this happens it still saves it in Keychain Access, but yeah, not acceptable and certainly not acceptable for Olds.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Firefox has an integrated and really straightforward password generator and manager.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think when this happens it still saves it in Keychain Access, but yeah, not acceptable and certainly not acceptable for Olds.

Yeah I basically have to have Keychain Access open at all times because I can never put it away long enough to be confident I won't need it for some drat thing Safari didn't think it necessary to save properly.

Usually I can blame it on some site's weird convoluted 2-factor/SSO auth flow but until all those get standardized it's not getting any better

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Missed this announcement last week, but for anyone using Blender on MacOS (Intel & AS) Apple is now officially a member of the Dev Fund and has a beta build using Metal for Cycles rendering.

https://www.blender.org/press/apple-joins-blender-development-fund/

Pretty cool, I'm excited to see this happen. Gritting my teeth not buying a new AS 16" until the new year. I don't need it now. I don't. Really.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

Pretty cool, I'm excited to see this happen. Gritting my teeth not buying a new AS 16" until the new year. I don't need it now. I don't. Really.

On the other hand, yes you do.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Keychain is a great idea but it sucks rear end.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

a great idea but it sucks rear end.
As good a thread title as any, honestly

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

How do I remove these Dropbox actions when I right click a file? (No I don't want to uninstall Dropbox entirely.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crunchy Black posted:

Keychain is a great idea but it sucks rear end.

Yep. For some reason it fucks up my passwords enough, even though the password matches what Bitwarden enters, and I can’t login.

I just installed Bitwarden’s app as a fallback if the Bitwarden safari extension doesn’t work for some dumb reason. Keychain is just not great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Keychain is flawless for me on the iPhone and great to sometimes not great on Macs. I would recommend it to anyone though. Even with occasional issues it’s one of those things I can’t imagine not using.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel odd man out because I've honestly never really had much of an issue with Keychain and its integration into daily life.

Usually when it fails to save a password I found it's because the resource I'm trying to authenticate with isn't super tightly coupled to how Keychain detects where to fill stuff in. Like a signup page is on auth.website.co.uk where the login form is website.com or something. Not saying it's bulletproof but I've usually been able to narrow down the failure cases.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Usually when it fails to save a password I found it's because the resource I'm trying to authenticate with isn't super tightly coupled to how Keychain detects where to fill stuff in.

Yeah, that's my experience too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I remove these Dropbox actions when I right click a file? (No I don't want to uninstall Dropbox entirely.)

I don’t have Dropbox but my first instinct would be to check System preferences -> Extensions -> Finder. Anything in there Dropbox-related?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Martytoof posted:

I feel odd man out because I've honestly never really had much of an issue with Keychain and its integration into daily life.

Usually when it fails to save a password I found it's because the resource I'm trying to authenticate with isn't super tightly coupled to how Keychain detects where to fill stuff in. Like a signup page is on auth.website.co.uk where the login form is website.com or something. Not saying it's bulletproof but I've usually been able to narrow down the failure cases.

Yeah but Pa Kettle sure isn't going to be able to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jokes posted:

Yep. For some reason it fucks up my passwords enough, even though the password matches what Bitwarden enters, and I can’t login.

I just installed Bitwarden’s app as a fallback if the Bitwarden safari extension doesn’t work for some dumb reason. Keychain is just not great.

Sounds like using a second layer of password management is complicating things and casing the issue here? I use keychain constantly and only on rare occasions (which are mostly down to crappy website design not labeling fields correctly, switching domains etc) do I ever have an issue, which I can then solve quickly.