Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

What cute talking crayons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hung out with the magpies' chick Pikelet this afternoon after work (using the wall to stop the sun from blinding the camera, but it makes me look like a real creeper)
https://i.imgur.com/eUt1iMK.mp4

Glamour shot:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://i.imgur.com/bjJU1h5.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There are nine very relaxed birds in this picture, can you find them all?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I was about to say the blob in the lower left corner might be the 9th, but then I found a 9th clearly visible one.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Thank y’all for your answers with regards to the fishy breeder. Even their health guarantee was really fishy - 72 hours from the point of possession, including weekends to get vet OK and then that’s it. Still refused to let me visit, so I walked away and I’m so glad I did, because I found my dream bird.

Check out my post about him and help me with naming him in the poll created on that post. I’m already so in love! I should have him by the end of the month or mid November at the latest. He is being shipped from California k which makes me nervous, but she has guaranteed to insure him and that he’s healthy and she has really been remarkable,. she provides a lot of pics and videos. She added me as a friend on Facebook and put me in a group for birds of his species where I have found a wealth of information.

She offered to have me come get him, but I worry about traveling right now due to my lupus and the Covid situation, but also I would have to pay for the flight, a hotel for a few days so I could recuperate before flying again (it takes a lot out of me). Plus, I need a lot of dental work and the baby bird was/is expensive and I’d like to have some money left to have an outdoor aviary built for him to play when it’s nice and I’m having to get a huge cage for indoors.

Is shipping a concern? Should I just swallow the expense and go and get him? But could I even take him on the plane? Would he fit in a carrier under the seat or would he go in cargo anyways, which is part of my fear?

He’s the little baby one she is playing with in the aviary.

Well, I won’t let me upload the image. See the post I made with the poll.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mombot posted:

Thank y’all for your answers with regards to the fishy breeder. Even their health guarantee was really fishy - 72 hours from the point of possession, including weekends to get vet OK and then that’s it. Still refused to let me visit, so I walked away and I’m so glad I did, because I found my dream bird.

Check out my post about him and help me with naming him in the poll created on that post. I’m already so in love! I should have him by the end of the month or mid November at the latest. He is being shipped from California k which makes me nervous, but she has guaranteed to insure him and that he’s healthy and she has really been remarkable,. she provides a lot of pics and videos. She added me as a friend on Facebook and put me in a group for birds of his species where I have found a wealth of information.

She offered to have me come get him, but I worry about traveling right now due to my lupus and the Covid situation, but also I would have to pay for the flight, a hotel for a few days so I could recuperate before flying again (it takes a lot out of me). Plus, I need a lot of dental work and the baby bird was/is expensive and I’d like to have some money left to have an outdoor aviary built for him to play when it’s nice and I’m having to get a huge cage for indoors.

Is shipping a concern? Should I just swallow the expense and go and get him? But could I even take him on the plane? Would he fit in a carrier under the seat or would he go in cargo anyways, which is part of my fear?

He’s the little baby one she is playing with in the aviary.

Well, I won’t let me upload the image. See the post I made with the poll.

Please please please make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into if you're buying a toucan. Especially if you are concerned about finances. We've got at least one goon with a cautionary tale about owning these guys (who are adorable but have very particular needs).

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have replied in said toucan thread but I will be more blunt about it here. A toucan is a horrible idea, even taking into account that most of the people here love their birds and many of them give the absolute best lives they can to their feathered friends. Toucans are another level of difficulty and the science of keeping them happy and healthy hasn't even been fully established by the best and brightest of keepers who have had lifelong knowledge with them.

I know you want a feathered friend, there are many better options than endangering an extremely rare and expensive bird to a slow, painful demise that will confuse not just you but almost certainly any vet you take them to.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

mm seede

jeluss

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plant MONSTER. posted:

mm seede

jeluss

:kimchi:

story of my life

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Birds really hate the sight of birds-who-are-them eating, eh? Like if I’m trying to give Mayo a treat of milllet (and millet is the worst for causing jealousy!) and Pesto catches it in the corner of his eye, he’ll chase her away and expect me to treat him.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Birds really hate the sight of birds-who-are-them eating, eh? Like if I’m trying to give Mayo a treat of milllet (and millet is the worst for causing jealousy!) and Pesto catches it in the corner of his eye, he’ll chase her away and expect me to treat him.

that's for sure some of it, some of it is also their social eating cues, i think. like the birds will get mysteriously hungry when they see me eating anything, too

(sometimes i trick them into eating new food by eating or pretending to eat it too)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve got a pair of scarlet-chested parakeets who allow us to live in the same house as them, and while they’re fine sharing millet and toys, the sister will absolutely bully the brother away from the food dish for hours while she chills fully inside of it, right after it’s refilled.

They’ve been living here for long enough that they’re on that line where both visibly would be ok with more direct interaction, right up until there’s a human finger in the cage that they could investigate and interact with. Then they’re both slightly too skittish, it’s loving adorable.

Soon, I hope!

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Youth Decay posted:

Please please please make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into if you're buying a toucan. Especially if you are concerned about finances. We've got at least one goon with a cautionary tale about owning these guys (who are adorable but have very particular needs).

I responded in my poll about my experience with birds, but be assured I have been researching them seriously for at least five years and just kind of off-hand for another five years before that when I was just curious. I’m not taking this lightly, but I do appreciate people looking out for the birds and for me as well. I had been planning to get one eventually and an opportunity arose at the right time that I couldn’t pass up.

I do take offense that you assume I know nothing about them and that I’m endangering him. I’m at home 24/7 to attend to his every need. The vet I found has experience with them. I think it’s incredibly rude to say I’m harming this bird. Better I take him than someone else who knows nothing of them, but just wants an expensive novelty pet.

mombot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 16, 2021

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mombot posted:

I responded in my poll about my experience with birds, but be assured I have been researching them seriously for at least five years and just kind of off-hand for another five years before that when I was just curious. I’m not taking this lightly, but I do appreciate people looking out for the birds and for me as well. I had been planning to get one eventually and an opportunity arose at the right time that I couldn’t pass up.

I do take offense that you assume I know nothing about them and that I’m endangering him. I’m at home 24/7 to attend to his every need. The vet I found has experience with them. I think it’s incredibly rude to say I’m harming this bird. Better I take him than someone else who knows nothing of them, but just wants an expensive novelty pet.

Hey, I'm the one you should be pissed at, not Youth Decay. For you and your bird, I hope you are right and prove me wrong. I am just concerned over the delicate nature of the species you've chosen, your concerns over expenses already and the fact that your life may not look like this in 20 years. You asked about breeder birds, then you mentioned getting a toucan. It looks very much like an irrational "oh cool bird' decision, which is what a lot of these purchases are.

I'll let it drop, I just want what's best for the bird and I was alarmed by things you mentioned in your post and your thread. I think it would be much easier on the bird if you went to go pick him up instead of having him shipped.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I will say, if nothing else, as someone who works as a courier, shipping live animals should be avoided whenever possible.

Except for like. Bugs and stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I will say, if nothing else, as someone who works as a courier, shipping live animals should be avoided whenever possible.

Except for like. Bugs and stuff.

hard agree. shipping animals just...on their own is pretty cruel imo, especially someone intelligent and social like a bird. i know it happens. literally hope this works out but all the posts make me just kind of sad for the bird if i'm being honest, and i think this is a mistake.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Museums ask people to recreate works of art at home, one result

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 17, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm not sure I believe the story with the first picture but I want to.

The second picture is great.

Unrelated: I like to watch Star Trek. Lately it's DS9. Sera and Ozzy love Star Trek and will usually stop what they're doing to come hang out with me when Star Trek is on, with an eye on the television.

Pretty sure it's the high quality beeps of the computer they like, though. Maybe the music.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does a bird physiologically require one pissy hissy fit a day or something. Sinbad just flipped out on the fork he had previously been happily eating from, threw a little tantrum, and now he's puffed up and grinding beak, watching us. He didn't eat very much so it's like he derived nourishment from the tiff.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Does a bird physiologically require one pissy hissy fit a day or something. Sinbad just flipped out on the fork he had previously been happily eating from, threw a little tantrum, and now he's puffed up and grinding beak, watching us. He didn't eat very much so it's like he derived nourishment from the tiff.

Birds need drama to survive, I think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mombot posted:

I have not read whatever thread exists in a different subforum, so I apologize if I'm missing anything.

I wouldn't take it personally. This little enclave of bird people is probably the kindest I've ever encountered by a long shot. We have seen too many birds get in bad experiences with the best intentioned people. It's our job to be blunt, because these animals can loving outlive us, have emotional intelligence around that of a toddler according to Dr. Irene Pepperberg, and form a powerful bond to their human.

Research is awesome and you've done a good job doing it. But hands on experience is a very different thing. The breed you are interested in is a very advanced bird to keep. It's sorta like deciding you want to go into woodworking, so you're starting with attempting to carve a fully functioning grandfather clock from scratch. Keeping a cockatiel, the biggest doofus of the parrot kingdom, can be very challenging.

I'll tell you this - You will not find a bigger hearted collection of parrot/bird people on the internet than this thread. Don't get offended by anyone being blunt, it's just we've seen this situation play out really poorly before. We'd rather risk offending you with a question than a bird end up living a lovely life.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

So even though it's the off-season and I don't have important reasons to contact the biologists I work with, I got an update re: the boodge I found in my trap earlier this year.

No one in the area claimed him, and the biologist I handed him to reached out to multiple shelters, put up a found ad, nothing. No one claimed this little man, so she kept him. He is now named Mojito and although I have no pictures, she detailed that he enjoyed singing at the local birds and although he is hand-shy he seems to have warmed up to living indoors.

I'm a bit sad that we didn't find the home wherever he came from, but I'm glad that he has a good home now. A bird biologist is probably one of the best people to keep a bird imo.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 19, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

So even though it's the off-season and I don't have important reasons to contact the biologists I work with, I got an update re: the boodge I found in my trap earlier this year.

No one in the area claimed him, she reached out to multiple shelters, put up a found ad, nothing. No one claimed this little man, so the biologist kept him. He is now named Mojito and although I have no pictures, she detailed that he enjoyed singing at the local birds and although he is hand-shy he seems to have warmed up to living indoors.

I'm a bit sad that we didn't find the home wherever he came from, but I'm glad that he has a good home now. A bird biologist is probably one of the best people to keep a bird imo.

pretty great resolution, all told. that's lovely.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I am entirely certain that someone has been teaching my magpies the Imperial March, which is conflicting with me trying to teach them the Final Fantasy VII victory theme.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chaosfeather posted:

:unsmith: Glad he found a home that cares about him and has adjusted.

Patrovsky posted:

I am entirely certain that someone has been teaching my magpies the Imperial March, which is conflicting with me trying to teach them the Final Fantasy VII victory theme.

This just means you get sick remixes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Ladies' neighbours, Cleverclogs and his family:
https://i.imgur.com/T7YKJVM.mp4

He's Cleverclogs because unlike other magpies who take some food then eat it and/or carry it to their chicks, he takes some food, carries it off a few metres and stashes it before running straight back over for more. Very efficient use of limited visiting time!

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 20, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra was not happy with her paper towel ration for the evening and just did this for a while -

She has never done that and I believe it was a form of :derptiel: protest.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/o3PaomI.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Was starting to get worried, hadn't seen it for a few days, but this afternoon I heard some begging and looked around and saw one of the girls feeding Pikelet

Happy to see it in a tree with decent shade and not hiding badly in a garden bed or sitting on a rooftop as on previous visits

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Friday afternoon, right after the peace accord was established.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just really want to pat a cockatoo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The girls' nest is about 200 metres from my house, close to the border between their territory and Cleverclogs'. When Pikelet left the nest it stayed near that area, but today for the first time it was on a rooftop near my house, only about 60 metres away. I could see it sitting on a chimney from my back door, and every time one of the girls came back with some food I could hear its cries :3:

Can't wait until it's brave enough to come and meet my in person!

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 22, 2021

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

:stare:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Baaassically my reaction. IDK if I'd want a cockatoo trained to pull teeth o_o Also, very wholesome, but.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
This woman has a baby son and bunch birds. That is a ton of work.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT966-g7DhI

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 25, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

side_burned posted:

This woman has a baby son and bunch birds. That is a ton of work.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT966-g7DhI

Holy Christ that whistle is a LOT if you’re wearing earbuds.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I love watching the videos with her raven, Fable

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
In Today's Bird Owning News - Always Double Check Labels

We recently had to replace our stove, as I'm sure y'all remember from the photos of Serra and I in a hotel room. We ended up able to afford a "scratch and dent" induction oven, which I never thought I'd have in a million years. The one downside is a lot of pots and pans don't work with induction, so I've had to replace some of my old rear end pans.

I only keep one nonstick pan in the house, specifically for doing something that needs surgical precision with eggs of pastry. I cook eggs every day and don't use nonstick for that. Also, I never heat nonstick up past egg cooking temps, so it's not a huge risk. But I still don't allow any nonstick with PTFEs, PFOAs, PFAS, and all that other bullshit.

I ordered this pan for my nonstick -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C5QBYLV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From the listing -

SAFE COOKING - This nonstick frying pan is 100% free of PFAS, PFOA, GenX, APEO, lead or cadmium. Stop worrying about harmful substances leaching into your food and harming your family's health. Great for busy families to keep meals as healthy and toxin-free as possible.

But when I received it today, something made my brow furrow. I noticed the instructions tucked into the packaging said no brushes can be used on it for cleaning, including nylon non-abrasive pads. This set off my bullshit detector, so I looked at the packaging -

Front - With plants around the boarder of the label to signify it's so green!

Back -

Neat! It has PTFE and PFOA coatings!

I'll be sending this back and leaving a less than thrilled review about the listing. I've had parrots most of my life and think they are a little heartier than they get credit for, so I don't faint if I think they are a room down from a scented air freshener. But this poo poo is no joke around them.

Pro-Tip - If something can kill your birds by being heated up, and is meant to be cooked on, you probably shouldn't have it in your house.

Bonus Serra Having Opinions About Sports Tax -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for your vigilance in protecting your sweet borb. May she have sports opinions for a very long time.