Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Havana syndrome??? In my wasteland???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I've never gotten any of those captchas but I've actually thrown :10bux: Sweeney's way a few times for Hades and Outer Wilds, so maybe they stop bot-checking if you've spent actualmoney.
This is literally the same exact way that I've used the Epic Games Store since it's launch (like, down to those 2 specific games), and it makes me wonder if that's a reflection of how poorly they're doing in actually getting people to convert to using them as their primary game store/platform. I know Epic has said they're operating at an extreme financial loss and they plan to continue to do so for a while, but it makes me want to see detailed numbers because to see how bad they're doing compared to Steam and whether there's any indication that the trend is changing.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 22, 2021

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Discospawn posted:

Dead By Daylight is also having a Free Weekend now, and that's a much better game that's more tailored to using a few days to decide whether it interests you or not.

PINHEAD NFT'S HERE! GET YOUR HOT FRESH PRESSED PINHEAD NFT'S!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Discospawn posted:

This is literally the same exact way that I've used the Epic Games Store since it's launch (like, down to those 2 specific games), and it makes me wonder if that's a reflection of how poorly they're doing in actually getting people to convert to using them as their primary game store/platform. I know Epic has said they're operating at an extreme financial loss and they plan to continue to do so for a while, but it makes me want to see detailed numbers because to see how bad they're doing compared to Steam and whether there's any indication that the trend is changing.

I think the free games thread is maybe not the best place to extrapolate from for whether or not people buy games

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Skwirl posted:

I've been grabbing every single free game on Epic Game Store and barely install any of them and have barely played any of them, so I understand they might think I'm a bot. Is everyone else getting captcha asks.

twice in a row it was "identify the pictures with bicycles" and the most recent they had pictures of motorcycles in the mix, assholes.

i never get them. do you have 2FA enabled?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i never get them. do you have 2FA enabled?

yeah, I got hacked like the first week the service existed so did that pretty quick.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Discospawn posted:

I know Epic has said they're operating at an extreme financial loss and they plan to continue to do so for a while, but it makes me want to see detailed numbers because to see how bad they're doing compared to Steam and whether there's any indication that the trend is changing.

A few months ago I came across an article in the financial press about EGS getting another ridiculous round of financing -- something like $4B or so? -- so it's not stopping anytime in the near future. I forget the financial details, but there's still someone out there willing to throw money at this dumb business model.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Wrong thread

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Even though a lot of people are only going to get the free games, there are enough people out there who do start using the platform that it is still expanding their market share. Not to mention the exclusives that they have been getting.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They are just trying to leverage their immense fortnite base and it will work I’m sure.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

gonna admit that after I changed the thread title I've been waiting for someone to post really off topic so i could probate them with "PERISH" but you're all just toeing the line.

on second thoughts maybe this post...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Play posted:

Not to mention the exclusives that they have been getting.
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but the exclusive games aren't a sign that developers just prefer Epic over Steam. Epic has paid outrageous prices to secure those exclusivity deals, the vast majority of which didn't pay off for Epic, to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars in losses (there's various sources, some of which can even give game-by-game breakdowns, but for a generic article: https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-store-exclusives-apple-lawsuit/).

I understand the business model and mentality, that they're willing to suffer through a long time of operating at a loss because they're doubling their customer base each year. It's a logical investment of their massive Fortnite profits to invest in the entire gaming industry rather than assume that Fortnite will be massively popular forever.

I just think that based on the dollar figures from news articles and my own gaming group's rejection of any store platform besides Steam, it feels like Epic is going to see their annual market share go from .5% to 1%, 2%, 4%, and then never get any higher. It seems similar to the catastrophic failures we've seen with streaming platforms over the past few years (although I'm not saying Epic is the new Quibi or anything).

In order to not perish, I'll add that Inscryption is an incredible new game that isn't free, but does have a demo you can download from Steam to try before you buy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

epic just chose the highest profile, and probably most expensive, way to build a game store by directly going up against steam and doing so by spending money on exclusives and giveaways. that's it, that's my whole analysis. plenty of other successful game stores have launched after steam, they just didn't go the route epic did

another thing to keep in mind here is that epic does have investors besides tim sweeney, so it's not just him having a middle age crisis or something. those investors are going to be asking questions about the money epic is spending on egs and epic will be explaining their strategy for it with ongoing data to support the plan

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lemme know when I can buy more than 1 thing at a time from EGS.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I have steam codes I got from Humble Bundle for:
TheHunter:call of the wild(taken)
Blazing Beaks(taken)
Curious Expedition(taken)
Hero Siege complete
Heroes of Hammerwatch
SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising(taken)
Blazing Beaks(taken)
Golf With Your Friends(taken)

I'll PM if you want them. Or whatever works best for you.

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 24, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Could I have SYNTHETIK?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Rinkles posted:

Could I have SYNTHETIK?

Sent a PM

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

fit em all up in there posted:

TheHunter:call of the wild
Could I have this one?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thank you. sorry if you wanted to keep it to PMs, misread your post.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Rinkles posted:

Thank you. sorry if you wanted to keep it to PMs, misread your post.

Oh no it's fine. I didn't want to post all the codes and they somehow get taken in 5 seconds.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

TheHunter:call of the wild
Blazing Beaks
Curious Expedition
Hero Siege complete
Heroes of Hammerwatch
SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising
Blazing Beaks
Curious Expedition
Golf With Your Friends
Ticket to Ride - Switzerland/Ticket to Ride - India(DLC)

can i get those ticket to ride expansions! thanks!!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This has never been put a price on, so it probably doesn't qualify, but Zakesta has just been made available in itch.io for free. It's a neat tribute to old PC Engine shmups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPLt_UHtaeE

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Blazing Beaks
Golf With Your Friends

I'd love either of these if they are still available (in order of preference if they are both still around). PM is cool.
Cheers!

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Turns out I have a few humble bundle extras also. Feel free to PM me if you want:

Gone, hope you all have fun with your games

Pillars of Eternity (taken)
Nuclear Throne (taken)
Rain World (taken)
Rise & Shine (taken)

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 24, 2021

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Hero Siege complete plus bunch of DLC
Heroes of Hammerwatch

Still available

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Turns out I have a few humble bundle extras also. Feel free to PM me if you want:

Pillars of Eternity
Nuclear Throne
Rain World (taken)
Rise & Shine
I'll take Rise & Shine if that's cool?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Heroes of Hammerwatch

Still available

Thanks for Blazing Beaks. I have Hero Siege but none of the DLC and I don't want to be a Blazing Pig and take more. But if no-one comes forward who doesn't have the base game already I'll throw my hat in the ring.
Cheers!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Pillars of Eternity
Nuclear Throne
Rain World (taken)
Rise & Shine (taken)

Can I have Nuclear Throne please?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Heroes of Hammerwatch

Still available
Hero Siege seems interesting, I'll take the key off your hands if you still have it!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Heroes of Hammerwatch

Still available

Can you PM me Heroes of Hammerwatch?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I have an extra copy of Book of Demons for whoever asks. [Claimed]

Farquar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2021

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I forgot to post here but all the codes I had were given out, sorry it took.me a bit to post it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.gog.com/game/dagon_by_h_p_lovecraft

Dagon is a short, completely free adaptation of the Lovecraft story that should take you about 30 minutes but seems perfect for the spoop season.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/tombraider/status/1453734650447208455

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DARQ: Complete Edition is free on Epic

Aven Colony next week

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not to confused with vampire stealth game from 2013, Dark.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

Not to confused with vampire stealth game from 2013, Dark.

I genuinely thought it was that lmao

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The full November Amazon Prime Twitch Prime Gaming Prime setup, according to Gamespot:

Dragon Age Inquisition
Control Ultimate Edition
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rogue Heroes
Liberated
Puzzle Agent 2
Demon Hunter 2: New Chapter
Brakes Are For Losers
Secret Files: Sam Peters

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Kins posted:

The full November Amazon Prime Twitch Prime Gaming Prime setup, according to Gamespot:

Dragon Age Inquisition
Control Ultimate Edition
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rogue Heroes
Liberated
Puzzle Agent 2
Demon Hunter 2: New Chapter
Brakes Are For Losers
Secret Files: Sam Peters

I've been lying to Amazon to get cheaper Prime for ages. I should probably start to take advantage of this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've heard tell that Control is a fun game, if you're one of those sickos that like, plays games. Not me, though. I don't get enjoyment from a magic SCP gun and telekinetic powers and noneuclidian geometric platforming.