Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

metal hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I would always call it a lid

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheWTFNation/status/1450578836832149508

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I won't stand for you all referring to boonies like that. :mad:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GD_American posted:

Man who got captured big fan of man who is not fan of people that got captured

https://www.alreporter.com/2021/10/19/a-late-entry-in-the-u-s-senate-race/

quote:

Durant is currently the CEO and president of Pinnacle Solutions, an aerospace engineering firm located in Huntsville. The company primarily offers flight simulation and training services, and also offers airplane maintenance and service options. Pinnacle has contracts with the various branches of the U.S. military and several of the usual defense contractors.

Or as I like to call it, a member of the 410 Club.

I know that there is no relation between the two companies. I don’t know why trademark owner Delta allows this guy’s company to exist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
From Twitter, this is allegedly from the bridge of a brand new Canadian navy vessel:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

FrozenVent posted:

From Twitter, this is allegedly from the bridge of a brand new Canadian navy vessel:

I don't know from boats. What's the thing that's circled?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ARe those like, throttles or something at easy-to-hit-walking-by level? Or maybe some important gauge that needs to be checked except we don't have eyes in our ankles?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s a bubble level to measure how much the ship is leaning side to side, but it’s been installed lengthwise.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

It’s a bubble level to measure how much the ship is leaning side to side, but it’s been installed lengthwise.

So now they know from front to back!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

So now they know from front to back!

It's this. That's there to measure pitch. They'll have one (or more) positioned at perpendicular to those to measure roll.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That’s not a pitch meter though. I’ve also never heard of pitch being measured in degrees on a bridge.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't know from boats. What's the thing that's circled?

It’s a List that goes from bad to worse :dadjoke:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Going through my google photos today I found an old meme:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

That’s not a pitch meter though. I’ve also never heard of pitch being measured in degrees on a bridge.

I've never heard of pitch being measured at all, I'll add the caveat in surface ships

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There was one in the pilothouse of both DDGs I was on. As a seaman driving the ship, it was always a game to see how much roll you could get. A lot of pitching is a bad thing and means you're in some making GBS threads seas and need to turn.

I don't know that anyone ever really looked at the pitch gauge or whatever it was called, but it was absolutely there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I've never heard of pitch being measured at all, I'll add the caveat in surface ships

Trim is important, but you measure trim by comparing your forward and after draft; the boat bends alongs its length so the angle of pitch at any given point isn’t necessarily indicative of anything.

I’ll caveat that I once sailed on a roro and we had a length-wise level in the ballast control room. It wasn’t a clinometer though, more like an oversized carpenter’s level. That was to keep the chief mate from snapping the ramp off on the dock.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was one in the pilothouse of both DDGs I was on. As a seaman driving the ship, it was always a game to see how much roll you could get.

Roll’s transversal though. You don’t need nearly as much precision when it comes to pitch.

We usually adjusted course depending on how bendy the boat was getting. Gotta love the lakes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Trim is important

- official motto of the armed forces

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was one in the pilothouse of both DDGs I was on. As a seaman driving the ship, it was always a game to see how much roll you could get. A lot of pitching is a bad thing and means you're in some making GBS threads seas and need to turn.

I don't know that anyone ever really looked at the pitch gauge or whatever it was called, but it was absolutely there.

That was all I could think of, pitch would be important to know for accuracy.

FrozenVent posted:

Trim is important, but you measure trim by comparing your forward and after draft; the boat bends alongs its length so the angle of pitch at any given point isn’t necessarily indicative of anything.

wow thanks i've literally never learnt stability :ughh:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Imagined posted:

Going through my google photos today I found an old meme:

Made me think of the thing I saw earlier today:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"Oh yeah you'll probably meet Bill tonight... just humour him, he got hit in the head really hard in Basic and ain't been right since"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
"Bill thinks his gear is his personality. Yes, that's a Texas flag. No, don't ask about it."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“When he talks about being in the poo poo he’s referring to failing out of HVAC school for electrocuting his instructor”

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"he's really into airsoft. No, not a veteran, but he did JROTC in high school"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
"If you tell him a story and two hours later he tells it back to you, but says it happened to him, well....he does it to all of us"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GD_American posted:

" Yes, that's a Texas flag. No, don't ask about it."

P. good advice

- Texas patch haver

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Kith posted:

My favorite iteration of this is 'yeah, he plays airsoft a lot, no he was never in the military'

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Can you imagine how exhausting someone like that is to be around?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Scratch Monkey posted:

Can you imagine how exhausting someone like that is to be around?

No

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Yes

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Found the That Guy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think Haney mentions something about it in his book; assaulters would take turns being inside the room.
The SAS openly admits they do it- they put Thatcher and Princess Di in the room.

Oh yeah, I remember now Andy McNab claiming that was the cause of Di getting a new haircut. Apparently a flashbang went off and a spark or whatever caused part of her hair to catch on fire.

But it's a Andy McNab story so you know, grain of salt..

Also his story about throwing a dummy from a helicopter when they were doing a fast rope exercise as Prince Charles watched from the ground and seeing a guy get up and dust himself was pretty :lol:

GD_American posted:

Man who got captured big fan of man who is not fan of people that got captured

https://www.alreporter.com/2021/10/19/a-late-entry-in-the-u-s-senate-race/

Posting it here because there isn't a massive bummer thread

Posted this elsewhere but it's relevent.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh yeah. He came and gave a speech to my ROTC Battalion (as did Mike Flynn but that's another, much milder, story entirely). Even in 2008 he was very chuddy and "ALL MY LOVE 4 GOD AND COUNTRY". I just remember like the first 3/4 of him talking was about his training and then getting shot down in Mogadishu which was pretty interesting, followed by like 20 minutes of "AND THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO KEEP FIGHTING THE WAR ON TERROR, GOD BLESS AMERICA, RAWWWWWR." Like to the point everyone in the room was a little side eyed about it.

IDK if it was because most of us were from the Northeast and he was really hammering on the "god and country" thing a bit too much or what. Anyways, we found out he was a big booster for Bush and McCain afterwards, so it all made sense.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Generation Kill’s Trombley “Whopper Jr” ran for public office in Texas recently, and I don’t think he won which surprises me.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Kith posted:

Dude has a ##T0 unit code on his poo poo. Bro is/was HQ/HHC lmao.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Gorilla Radio posted:

Dude has a ##T0 unit code on his poo poo. Bro is/was HQ/HHC lmao.

What is that like, the HR department?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Wrr posted:

HHC is more like admin. It’s where the whatever-level commanders and XOs and other support people are assigned within a battalion.

HR is more like the s-shops.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 22, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Guy was a paper bitch in the admin office

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Wrr posted:

It's the headquarters company, so it's all the staff sections, medics, snipers and the 5 people that actually directly work for the HHC commander.

The bulk of an HHC are the staff sections that work for the battalion's XO. So HR, Intelligence, Operations, Logistics and Signal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“Yeah Bill got thrown out because he wouldn’t stop setting off smoke grenades and drinking in the office, also he wouldn’t answer phones.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mustang posted:

It's the headquarters company, so it's all the staff sections, medics, snipers and the 5 people that actually directly work for the HHC commander.

The bulk of an HHC are the staff sections that work for the battalion's XO. So HR, Intelligence, Operations, Logistics and Signal.

so what you're telling me is

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Guy was a paper bitch in the admin office