Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
She's so close to the precipice!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I recently learned that the ship that brough Nelson back was the HMS Pickle, and it kinda blows my mind that I knew one about the pickling, but not that.

Unfortunately it's not true, the barrel with his body in it was lashed to the mainmast of Victory.

I'd never even heard of Pickle, but Wiki tells me that it was the ship that bought news of the battle back to Britain, which is probably where the confusion came in.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I recently learned that the ship that brough Nelson back was the HMS Pickle, and it kinda blows my mind that I knew one about the pickling, but not that.

it brought back news of his victory, not him. It had earlier brought back the body of the admiral that bought it from Jamaica though. according to wikipedia.

we were just on the same wikipedia page at the same time. feels weird

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Is radio one playing sombre music yet?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
bbc website has an article saying "82% say they wear a face covering now, down from 97% in mid-June."

Bollocks do 82% of people round here wear face masks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wonder what'd happen if the queen died of covid?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

'You noble Diggers all, stand up now, stand up now,
You noble Diggers all, stand up now,
The wast land to maintain, seeing Cavaliers by name
Your digging does maintain, and persons all defame
Stand up now, stand up now.

Your houses they pull down, stand up now, stand up now,
Your houses they pull down, stand up now.
Your houses they pull down to fright your men in town,
But the gentry must come down, and the poor shall wear the crown.
Stand up now, Diggers all'

I am the King and I'm digging a hole
Diggy Diggy hole, Diggy Diggy hole

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

They would never admit it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

an_mutt posted:

Hey everyone, I've not really been paying attention to the recent Trans debates over the past couple years (mainly because it's all so loving depressing living on TERF Island, and I largely checked out of anything UK Politics-related after the 2019 election), but the recent BBC nonsense and a gross experience at Uni has motivated me to get up to speed on what's been happening. I'm currently studying a PGCE course and was half-listening in on a couple women in my class having a talk about the aforementioned BBC podcast, and how "good" and "important" it was, etc. etc. I eventually asked if it was a takedown of the LGB Alliance (because I didn't know the content of the podcast series, and they were talking about hateful homophobic aspects of the organisation that was the subject of the series, it being dangerous for homosexuals, and so on), but they told me that it was for Stonewall and that "the LGB Alliance was doing some really great stuff". I know that this is patently a load of poo poo, as I seem to recall articles coming out when the LGB Alliance was first rising to prominence which showed how nakedly 'Funded by Right-Wing Fundamentalist Agitators' it was, and how clearly it was set up to erode LGBTQ+ rights, but now that I'm doing a bit of googling to learn more about it I'm seeing absolutely nothing but fawning articles about how cool and good it is as an organisation and how Stonewall is so evil. Is there a good starting point to actually learn more about all this, and what's actually happened in the last 2-3 years? I saw that they're now a loving registered charity (!?); I feel like I'm losing my mind over the recent coverage and how blatantly one-sided it is, and how easily it feels like the LGB Alliance has covered its recent history.

They show up multiple times in this thread, boosting an antisemitic conspiracy theorist 'researcher' who uses overt neo-Nazis as sources:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1399849561301131265?s=21

An example:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1368964015695667203?s=21

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

They'd say it was something else.

She's probably had the good vaccines though so it's unlikely the rona will take her.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unfortunately it's not true, the barrel with his body in it was lashed to the mainmast of Victory.

I'd never even heard of Pickle, but Wiki tells me that it was the ship that bought news of the battle back to Britain, which is probably where the confusion came in.

I am crushed. Crushed!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Unite press release:

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-events/news/2021/october/unite-conference-historic-vote-to-back-pr-voting-in-westminster-elections/

quote:

Unite conference 'historic vote' to back PR voting in Westminster elections
Friday 22 October 2021
Unite, the country's leading union, has today (Friday) voted to back proportional representation for Westminster elections.

The decision was taken at the Unite Policy Conference in Liverpool.

Commenting on the vote, Unite's general secretary Sharon Graham said: "Today, Unite Policy Conference voted to support Proportional Representation for the first time in our history.

"Our members across this union already use PR to elect their representatives - it is high time that Westminster caught up.

"Our political class has failed working people and our system is broken. It is time to change our democracy."

ENDS

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

feedmegin posted:

'You noble Diggers all, stand up now, stand up now,
You noble Diggers all, stand up now,
The wast land to maintain, seeing Cavaliers by name
Your digging does maintain, and persons all defame
Stand up now, stand up now.

Your houses they pull down, stand up now, stand up now,
Your houses they pull down, stand up now.
Your houses they pull down to fright your men in town,
But the gentry must come down, and the poor shall wear the crown.
Stand up now, Diggers all'

Wot a fucken tune

I don't think the queen is dead. I dunno, I'm just not getting those vibes at the moment.

My vibes are almost always wrong, though, tbf

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Darth Walrus posted:

They show up multiple times in this thread, boosting an antisemitic conspiracy theorist 'researcher' who uses overt neo-Nazis as sources:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1399849561301131265?s=21

An example:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1368964015695667203?s=21

there really needs to be an archive of this poo poo where every time a """""gender critical""""" fuckwit shows their place in public they're drowned out by people pointing out they're a loving nazi

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
source: Heil/news/article-10119659/Queen-95-faces-fight-head-body-says-royal-expert.html

quote:

Asked about reports that the Queen had given up alcohol, Ms Levin said: 'I think there's an emotional attachment to that too, she used to have Dubonnet with various mixtures, and it was always Prince Philip's duty to do it at lunchtime and the evening if they were there together, and it was part of their relationship. And I think it no longer has the same taste really because he's not there, he used to get the amounts absolutely spot on.'

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Queens in detox.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

If she dies and they give everyone a day off next week that might make my job easier as if everyone stays home there is less traffic (I do not get bank holidays off)

I've already got weds-fri booked off so she better not die then.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

suck my woke dick posted:

there really needs to be an archive of this poo poo where every time a """""gender critical""""" fuckwit shows their place in public they're drowned out by people pointing out they're a loving nazi

Yeah, that's basically what I'm looking for, because I want to have the appropriate responses to whenever I encounter any of this derangement in the wild. I don't expect I'll ever ~*~debate someone out of bigotry~*~ but I also don't want anybody who expresses these ideas to have the freedom to speak their nonsense unchallenged.

Many thanks to the folks who have replied!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

How does this square with almost all union delegates voting down PR at the Labour conference? Or were Unite the exception?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

keep punching joe posted:

Queens in detox.

She's the one doing coke with her grandkids

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

They'd say it was something else.

She's probably had the good vaccines though so it's unlikely the rona will take her.

At her age, if she did get it, even with the good vaccines it's a massive risk. But then so is, like, regular flu to a lesser extent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

source: Heil/news/article-10119659/Queen-95-faces-fight-head-body-says-royal-expert.html

Okay I know this is going to be an incredibly unpopular opinion in this thread (and is definitely the reason why these sorts of stories are released) but every time I see one of these little examples of the Queen and Philip being just an old married couple I do a little "aww".

Like this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGeft7khSo

is just my mum and dad on a train journey, whenever one of them sees some cows out of the window. I don't know what that primal instinct is for married couples to point out cows is but it's strong.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I don't know about the queen but this man absolutely looks like he's at death's door

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know about the queen but this man absolutely looks like he's at death's door

He looks like when your zoom background messes up and erases a strip around your outline.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Steve Davis' dad wants to know if you have heard the good news about our Lord.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay I know this is going to be an incredibly unpopular opinion in this thread (and is definitely the reason why these sorts of stories are released) but every time I see one of these little examples of the Queen and Philip being just an old married couple I do a little "aww".

Like this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGeft7khSo

is just my mum and dad on a train journey, whenever one of them sees some cows out of the window. I don't know what that primal instinct is for married couples to point out cows is but it's strong.

I've got to say, that video is incredibly humanising. It reminds me of my grandmother who would say "ooh, a chicken!" if one appeared on television.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've got to say, that video is incredibly humanising. It reminds me of my grandmother who would say "ooh, a chicken!" if one appeared on television.

Aye but then you remember she's the head of a crime family that's wealth is built on the bones of millions and her son is a nonce.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxXjhRHrs6k

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye but then you remember she's the head of a crime family that's wealth is built on the bones of millions and her son is a nonce.

My uncle was not a nonce.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dempster2000/status/1451493091936964634

https://twitter.com/Cromwell606/status/1451461183844782080

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Comrade Fakename posted:

My uncle was not a nonce.

I had a great uncle who was a nonce and ran off with a 16 year old, the family disowned him and he's never to be brought up! For shame.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
:siren:

If you weren't already boycotting Tunnocks for their craven Indyref stance...

https://twitter.com/ALLIANCELGB/status/1451448320522661900?t=r1_9BwXlsLB5AjHjFS13rw

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
fucksake though I love a tunnocks tea cake

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving lol

https://twitter.com/AkanKwaku/status/1363086451869646852

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Regarde Aduck posted:

i suggest you leave the climatology to the climatologists.

You do know what the current discourse is with a significant number of climatologists, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDWhjSUu8UY

https://www.livescience.com/ghastly-future-global-crises.html

The view displayed in the media is a lot more happy clappy 'something can be done' than the actual academics, who in many cases now see societal collapse due to overshoot as a historical inevitability. Especially marine biologists, they're depressed as hell.

Anyway, any word from Gibbo yet?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
:siren: brands are not people :siren:

haakman
May 5, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

That’s not true, you, like a lot of people, are conflating the fact that significant disruption is locked in, with total destruction. So yes we can’t stop climate change but we can stop it getting worse. It’s a moving scale. We are currently locked in to 1.5 c of climate change. We can survive that. If we do nothing this locked in temperature increases. I don’t know what’s so hard about this and i suggest you leave the climatology to the climatologists.

Just finished my MsC in climatology. 1.5 is the public line. We're way past that.

Ah efb.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

I had a great uncle who was a nonce and ran off with a 16 year old, the family disowned him and he's never to be brought up! For shame.

*Updating UKMT.xlsx*: Nonce-great-nephew, fascinating

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

RockyB posted:

The view displayed in the media is a lot more happy clappy 'something can be done' than the actual academics, who in many cases now see societal collapse due to overshoot as a historical inevitability. Especially marine biologists, they're depressed as hell.

There's a reason the environmental science lads are loving alcoholics, tbh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

haakman posted:

Just finished my MsC in climatology. 1.5 is the public line. We're way past that.

Ah efb.

What is 'way past that'?

Last I knew (or thought I knew) it was 1.5 - 2.5 depending on CO2 forcing. I said 1.5 because as you said it's the figure the ipcc puts out and I couldn't really be arsed to go into greater detail with people chicken littleling at the START of the calamity. There will be time to wail in the decades to come if and when it really is too late. My point was there is a whole lot of different meaning behind the phrase 'climate change cannot be stopped'. When a climatologist says this it means certain events and processes are locked in. When a depressed politic goons hears it, it becomes 'the death of all life on earth cannot be stopped'. Which is an insidious outlook because the main carbon contributors loving love people giving up. It's going to get worse as they start actively astro turfing climate fatalism and demoralised leftists just eat it up. A dangerous scenario is emerging where we have a chance to prevent total destruction but because we can't stop it all we just don't bother. I would hope you agree this is not optimum and climate fatalism is less than useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The climate is hosed, and we can acknowledge that it's hosed, but that's not a reason to say "Well guess we can just keep on going as before, it doesn't make a difference anyway." There are still degrees of hosed that we can choose between and the worst case scenario is considerably worse than the best case still possible. Hopeless doomerism is pointless, there is still plenty of meaningful work to do.