Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

large hands posted:

I think it sounds better when I play FLAC etc through my DAC than streaming Bluetooth but I'm not sure how I'd describe the difference.

e: don't say psychosomatic

it’s not psychosomatic, the quality of the recording is simply better. It sounds better. It’s higher resolution and less noisy. There’s more data in it.

but that doesn’t mean “the soundstage opens up” and “the transients improve”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Frog guy I think we can all agree Bluetooth definitely noticeably lacks in quality when compared to an un-transcoded, lossless signal. I think we can.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crime on a Dime posted:

Psycho. Somatic Addict, Insane.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

Breath the sound stage

I'm the trouble starter, streamin' instigator
MQA addicted, a danger illustrated

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

tell us about what it does to the speed, Mederlock :allears:

Nothing?

E: if you're referring to what I meant by balance, I meant between bass/mids/treble, not channel balance and "speed" and that nonsense. The DAC built-in to my Onkyo home theater receiver just didn't sound as good as the $150 iFi Zen DAC, you can :lol: and :laffo: all you want if you think there's no difference at all.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 12, 2021

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

large hands posted:

I'm the trouble starter, streamin' instigator
MQA addicted, a danger illustrated

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Kneel before the monolith.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

evobatman posted:

Kneel before the monolith.

Funny place for your bathroom scale. What are those things to the sides of it? Are they for getting your height as well?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Russian spammer forgot to log out of his alt

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Thinking of buying a uturn orbit... would it be a waste of $$? I have a dual 1237 w/ a Shure M97x that has served me well for 5-6 years, but the wires need to be resoldered as the turntable has developed a bad hum in one channel. Is the uturn going to be an upgrade at all or would I be better off just replacing the cables? Would the M97x be an upgrade over the stock uturn cart?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're better off fixing the old turntable, and saving the extra money for more music, better speakers, or something like that. Think about what a turntable does, it just needs to spin at a consistent rate and apply consistent force down on the cartridge. Unless you've noticed some inaccuracies in the speed of rotation that adjustments haven't fixed, I can't see how the U-turn would be an upgrade.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It’s an upgrade in that it’s new and comes with customer support. Not everyone loves to tinker and repair

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cool. I have some vintage KLH Model 5s with rebuilt crossovers and resealed surrounds, so I may be thinking about an upgrade at some point. I guess I'll just fix the wires. I've done it once I just have to find some time to do it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

a dingus posted:

Cool. I have some vintage KLH Model 5s with rebuilt crossovers and resealed surrounds, so I may be thinking about an upgrade at some point. I guess I'll just fix the wires. I've done it once I just have to find some time to do it.

I bet those sound nice. I like my KLH 17s.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

polyester concept posted:

It’s an upgrade in that it’s new and comes with customer support. Not everyone loves to tinker and repair

True. But most larger cities have guys who specialize in this sort of work and can fix it for you, if time is limited, and it'd still be a lot cheaper than buying new.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
They do! I also have a pair of KLH Model 6 that I think are almost identical to your model 17s? The 5 & 6 sound very similar, to the point where I'd probably not notice a difference in day-to-day listening. I bought my 5s for $85 on craigslist years ago. They're a little beaten up & the veneer doesn't match between the two but they work wonderfully after I rebuilt them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

a dingus posted:

They do! I also have a pair of KLH Model 6 that I think are almost identical to your model 17s? The 5 & 6 sound very similar, to the point where I'd probably not notice a difference in day-to-day listening. I bought my 5s for $85 on craigslist years ago. They're a little beaten up & the veneer doesn't match between the two but they work wonderfully after I rebuilt them.

6 and 17 look similar at least. Other than a water stain on one of them mine are in pretty good shape and they came in the original boxes

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I have a pair of model 32s that my dad bought new in the '70s and have been in effectively continuous service since. They look and sound just like every other bog-standard KLH speaker, which is to say... fine. Nothing special. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a new pair or recommend them to anyone, but I at the same time I guess if you find a particularly good thrift store deal I would say go ahead and go for it. I suppose at this point my pair could use a re-cap, but I don't imagine it substantially changing the overall sound of the speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

strtj posted:

I have a pair of model 32s that my dad bought new in the '70s and have been in effectively continuous service since. They look and sound just like every other bog-standard KLH speaker, which is to say... fine. Nothing special. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a new pair or recommend them to anyone, but I at the same time I guess if you find a particularly good thrift store deal I would say go ahead and go for it. I suppose at this point my pair could use a re-cap, but I don't imagine it substantially changing the overall sound of the speakers.

I recapped mine and spruced up the woofer surrounds. I couldn’t hear a difference really, but it was something to do.

I would like to hear those 5’s though.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Are the audio technica SL-1200 clones still good?

I left my old Sony direct drive table with a friend when I moved to Texas and I just bought a sampler and need a turntable to put sounds into it.

I remember them being pretty sweet back in like 2013, but it has been a long time since then...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

Are the audio technica SL-1200 clones still good?

I left my old Sony direct drive table with a friend when I moved to Texas and I just bought a sampler and need a turntable to put sounds into it.

I remember them being pretty sweet back in like 2013, but it has been a long time since then...

Not only are they still good, they’ve been updated and improved with two distinct models- there’s the AT-LP120X and the higher-end LP140XP.

The old LP120 is still being made too, IIRC, but probably not worth it just based on the fixes made to the antiskate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/eTW1xsE1ey8

lust. The same lust one might have greasy cheeseburger. $499 each

16 Hz

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 25, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, no.

Those specs do not hold up to close scrutiny. 95dB/1W and goes to 16Hz? That ain't happening outside of very particular horn designs.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, no.

Those specs do not hold up to close scrutiny. 95dB/1W and goes to 16Hz? That ain't happening outside of very particular horn designs.

"16 - 35000 Hz" but they don't say within what +/- dB range. I mean, heck, you could probably claim that for just about any higher quality full size speaker if you had a range of +/- 15 dB or something equally ridiculous.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I recapped mine and spruced up the woofer surrounds. I couldn’t hear a difference really, but it was something to do.

I would like to hear those 5’s though.

I am curious to hear a pair of 5s or 6s to see how big the difference is between them and the 32s.

On the KLH front, holy cow did the quality drop off a cliff after they were sold in the '80s. I saw a pair of what appeared to be maybe early-mid '80s full size floorstanders at a thrift store yesterday. The model number was four digits and started with a 7, but that's all I remember. 3 way, 12" woofer, brown grill cloth, and they looked like any other mid-fi Japanese speaker from that time period. I don't even think the cabinets had any sort of stuffing. It was sad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Shaking My drat Head at what Fisher Price has done

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1454230585933631488

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can still but the old style, they just sell them under the name 'crosley'

edit* I should have actually looked at the twitter thread, I was thinking of the old toy turntables that could actually play a record

a dingus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 30, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Shaking My drat Head at what Fisher Price has done

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1454230585933631488

Reading twitter threads is a pain, but the payoff on that one is worth it.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

a dingus posted:

the old toy turntables that could actually play a record

I have one of those and man are they a pain. I wanted to open it up to get at some of the internals to clean it up a bit and... nope. I thought I owned every screwdriver bit known to man but somehow they managed to find a screw that no one on earth is capable of turning, I guess so that your kid couldn't somehow hurt themselves and/or the record player.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I replaced the cable on my dual 1237 and it still has a bad hum. Is there anything else simple I can check before I buy a new turntable? I hit the connections (cables contacts & contacts including cart to head shell) with deoxit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

a dingus posted:

So I replaced the cable on my dual 1237 and it still has a bad hum. Is there anything else simple I can check before I buy a new turntable? I hit the connections (cables contacts & contacts including cart to head shell) with deoxit.

is the table grounded?

how’s the cartridge and stylus? are they clean?

how are the leads coming from the headshell?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
The turntable has a separate ground wire which I replaced with the RCA cables. It attached it to the ground post on my receiver and tried it on another system with a separate phono preamp and the hum persisted.

Cart, stylus & leads looks good. It didn't always hum, fortunately. The hum seems to go away once in a while when the tone arm is moving & muted. I suspect it's something inside the tonearm or some other lead... they all look very fragile.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Picked up a few odd items, nonworking. You think these would be easy to get up and running? Or does anybody want one? If so PM me. Here's #1

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 16, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

#2:

And on the topic of JVC, my old favorite boombox maker:

I feel like these belong in Duke Nukem or something.

At any rate, I bought these to refurbish but I could use some Xmas money too, so if interested, PM me. Also have a couple others but they are buried presently.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 16, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That JVC mixer looks like a tank

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

That JVC mixer looks like a tank

LOL it looks like everything JVC ever made in that era. It powers up, too, but that's as far as it goes RN.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
The JVC and Sony both have readily serviceable pots and controls. Be gentle cleaning them (take them apart and let your eyes help you with the sliders) and every moving part in there will work like new. Beyond that, some dried up electrolytics will need/beg for replacement and you will want to check any zeners and inspect for cold joints in and around the power supply (especially where any transformer leads attack to the boards.)

Fun poo poo, man.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Discernibly Turgid posted:

The JVC and Sony both have readily serviceable pots and controls. Be gentle cleaning them (take them apart and let your eyes help you with the sliders) and every moving part in there will work like new. Beyond that, some dried up electrolytics will need/beg for replacement and you will want to check any zeners and inspect for cold joints in and around the power supply (especially where any transformer leads attack to the boards.)

Fun poo poo, man.

Cool beans! Now I have a lot of repair work so if anybody wants these it won't bother me to pass them on for a modest fee. Otherwise I may get on them sometime soon.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m having an issue with my setup atm.

I have:

project debut carbon
>
dynavox tc-750
>
Sony DN1050

The output is really, really quiet and I don’t even know where to begin to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I’m having an issue with my setup atm.

I have:

project debut carbon
>
dynavox tc-750
>
Sony DN1050

The output is really, really quiet and I don’t even know where to begin to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Did it work before and only recently start having this issue? Are you using the stock cartridge that came with the turntable? Are you 100% sure the phono preamp is actually getting power?