Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Zurtilik posted:

Disapproval of bf’s gaming/figurine hobby is making us both feel angry and sad

How do these people find each other? Like it's a genuine question- surely she knew about this poo poo well before they got together, and without extra context they don't seem that compatible if this is the lens with which she views his main hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i saw a bunch of anime goons in full costume having an anime swordfight in the streets i'd honestly just sit and watch for awhile, hootin and hollerin at not only their anime fighting prowess but the fact that they have 50000x my confidence

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Id think they were lane but leave them be. Not everyone can be vin diesel cool.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Vin Diesel is a turbo nerd and made a movie about his loving Dungeons and Dragons character.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zurtilik posted:

Vin Diesel is a turbo nerd and made a movie about his loving Dungeons and Dragons character.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1618442/

edit: also pretty sure his nerdiness played a significant role in the story progression of the riddick franchise

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I once sat in a park for like two hours and watched a bunch of people playing that Harry Potter broom game, quidditch because it was fascinating and I couldn't figure out the rules to it at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Raygereio posted:

That poster's probably an Israeli.

Israel is something special about non white passing people.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember older relatives being concerned about race mixing because my Ashkenazi cousin was dating a lady who was *gasp* Sephardic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

blatman posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1618442/

edit: also pretty sure his nerdiness played a significant role in the story progression of the riddick franchise

Vin Diesel allegedly introduced Judi Dench to D&D on the set of Chronicles of Riddick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Riddick is pretty much Space Conan.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who would have ever thought that a genocidal apartheid state could be racist?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

blatman posted:

if i saw a bunch of anime goons in full costume having an anime swordfight in the streets i'd honestly just sit and watch for awhile, hootin and hollerin at not only their anime fighting prowess but the fact that they have 50000x my confidence

there's a bar out here where every so often a bunch will get together and do really elaborate synchronized anime dances all night, changing costumes for each one. Apparently they rehearse all year for that poo poo, it's amazing

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Raygereio posted:

That poster's probably an Israeli.
A jewish former GF whose marriage I got to attend had her folks show up dressed in black. They, also, did not approve of the spouse. Rings a lot of similar bells.

PetraCore posted:

I wouldn't be suuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl was a relative of one of the nerdmen, and OP didn't bring it up because he was trying to keep the impression they were grooming her. That said, I also wouldn't be suuuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl wasn't a relative and was just a high schooler who met the group through local anime conventions, in which case uuuh there need to be a lot better boundaries going on.
I also know/knew a bunch of super-nerds that sound like that group. One of them was approaching 30 and was bringing around his high school gf to university meetups. Said gf was 13 when she made a pass at me (!!), and I think they where officially together when she was ~15. Probably 16, as it's age of consent here. He had male pattern baldness by then.

I don't feel comfortable about having typed that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dudes who go on about how people they don't approve of should be physically assaulted and called slurs on the street are way worse than cringey weebs

Almost seems like fake nerdbait but people are taking it seriously

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had quite a few jewish friends with extremely racist parents, but they never saw themselves as racist. To them it was always excused by "our people were nearly wiped out through genocide, we need to rebuild and repopulate and maintain our culture" and some would go as far as "If your wife isn't the exact correct type of jew you're basically finishing what hitler started"

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.

Scaevolus posted:

An update on that "The Kindest" kidney donation story plagiarism drama, where someone actually read through the court documents to reconstruct what happened:

https://summerbrennan.substack.com/p/bad-discourse-friend-the-unraveling
https://summerbrennan.substack.com/p/bad-discourse-friend-the-unraveling-cae

Dawn might be annoying, but Sonya just sucks.

This is worth a look if you saw the original story and (as I did) went “ugh, both of these people are horrible” without looking any farther.

At least in my own experience it felt similar, though not as extreme, as the McDonald’s hot coffee case — the more you learn about the actual facts of the situation, the angrier you get on behalf of this person who does not actually seem to have done anything wrong outside being painfully earnest about her altruism, and got absolutely crucified in the court of public opinion for it.

There’s probably an interesting case study in here about how being cringe is the ultimate sin of the Internet. Even when one side’s behavior is objectively cruel and unethical, portraying the other side as needy and annoying is enough to drat them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PetraCore posted:

I wouldn't be suuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl was a relative of one of the nerdmen, and OP didn't bring it up because he was trying to keep the impression they were grooming her. That said, I also wouldn't be suuuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl wasn't a relative and was just a high schooler who met the group through local anime conventions, in which case uuuh there need to be a lot better boundaries going on.

Did it say the 16-year-old was a girl? I assumed if it had been the OP would have been going harder on them grooming a kid rather than just being irresponsible around one.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for telling my sister that it's not my fault that she is poor and her marriage is miserable?

quote:

I am Indian. Arranged marriages are a big thing here. The story starts when I was 18. My sister, Ani (who also had an arranged marriage to Abe and had 2 kids) tried to convince my parents to marry me off to Abe's close friend and business partner, Ben (who was 29 back then).

I was naive back then and everyone convinced me to marry Ben because he is nice and he would let me continue my studies and even let me work. My sister told me that getting married early meant that i get to spend more time to love him. She convinced me that arranged marriages work and I would be happy.

I believed them and agreed. Few days before my marriage, I found out that Abe owed Ben a lot of money and Ben said that he would forgive Abe's debt if he gets to marry me. I freaked out and "tested" Ben. I told him that I have already applied and paid the fees for my college. He yelled at me and told me that I shouldn't do anything without his permission. He told me that he was gonna let me study but now he is not going to.

I ran away from home that night with nothing but the clothes on my back. Cut everyone off. Went to a new city. Busted my rear end in college. Got a great job. Fell in love. Got married to another childfree Indian.

A year ago, my sister reached out to me. She found me by hiring someone to find me. She started off by wanting to be sisters again. Slowly, she started asking me for money. Snide remarks about how Abe threw her out of the house after I ran, how Ben screwed their family and left them nearly homeless as revenge, etc. It's like she is bi polar. Sometimes, she tells me that she too wished that she had run away and found a life like mine. Sometimes, she tells me that I was a selfish bitch that ruined her family and marriage.

She was going on one such rant yesterday and I lost it. I pretty much told her that it is not my fault that she is poor or that her marriage is miserable. I abruptly cut her off again and refused to send her any more money.

Aita here because she really does need that money and I earn enough that the amount I was sending her monthly wasn't making any dents for me. It also means that Abe might throw her / the kids out of the house again.

She called me crying and apologising but I told her to stop calling and blocked her.

She was married off when she was 20. She was never allowed to work. She doesn't have any support system there. So, I feel really guilty.

Ugh. I feel sorry for both of these women.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Erainor posted:

30 million people play MTG. I don't get the obsession, but I have friends who do. Will a court actually hear a case about Magic cards?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Cosplay is fun and cool but that it not the first or tenth thing I'd want you to know about me.

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham
I'm Israeli and the word "Kushi" used to be a (mostly) neutral Hebrew word for black people until a couple of decades ago when actual black people (Ethiopian jews and african refugees) started to live in Israel and the word was turned into a slur by racists, which makes it a bit awkward when my mom casually uses it in a (supposedly) non-racist way. Mentioning it to actual racists usually gets the response "I was using it to mean people from the land of Kush, checkmate liberal cuck"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hecuba posted:

This is worth a look if you saw the original story and (as I did) went “ugh, both of these people are horrible” without looking any farther.

At least in my own experience it felt similar, though not as extreme, as the McDonald’s hot coffee case — the more you learn about the actual facts of the situation, the angrier you get on behalf of this person who does not actually seem to have done anything wrong outside being painfully earnest about her altruism, and got absolutely crucified in the court of public opinion for it.

There’s probably an interesting case study in here about how being cringe is the ultimate sin of the Internet. Even when one side’s behavior is objectively cruel and unethical, portraying the other side as needy and annoying is enough to drat them.

gonna be honest my eyes started glazing over at the umptillionth paragraph unpacking how bitchy and petty this writer's group is but none of it seems to materially pertain to the actual thrust of the dispute, that anyone can or should enforce a copyright claim on anyone cribbing your facebook posts or letters or other stuff you say in a non-professional capacity with the ferocity of Disney coming at an off-license Mickey Mouse. The fact that writers are mostly deranged egotists who will air every unflattering thought they ever had about you for clout can kinda be taken as read by anyone who's ever been to a writer's group or, like, paid attention to a novel.

the ultimate sin here was probably having been once stung going back to pester a reporter into telling her story, at which point they condensed all this dreary horseshit down into another entertaining story with her as the buffoonish villain lol

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 22, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zurtilik posted:

My (30M) girlfriend's (24F) anime-geek friends (M29-34) drive me crazy and frankly, I want to beat them
(think smelly, fat Napoleon Dynamites)

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Hecuba posted:

I also find this situation fascinating because I LOVED books by Whitney Scharer and Celeste Ng, who both participated in the bullying of Dawn (kidney donor). I won't be reading any more of their work. Good job on Becky Tuch for publicly apologizing to Dawn and leaving the bully group. Everyone sucks here to some degree, but those Chunky Monkeys are the epitome of every grasping writer stereotype who just wants to spit on those who haven't made it yet.

The bit from one of them in a letter to Dawn about how she "showed promise" in her early GrubStreet classes was just enraging to me. gently caress you, I wanted to learn, and then I find out you all hate me. Horrible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dudes who go on about how people they don't approve of should be physically assaulted and called slurs on the street are way worse than cringey weebs

Almost seems like fake nerdbait but people are taking it seriously

OP posted:

I was so embarrassed to be seen with them that I tried to stand far enough away from them that I could protect them from getting beaten up yet not be seen as part of the group.

He's brokebrain from being bullied as a kid, he was assuming they'd be attacked in the street for being nerds.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

welcome to hell posted:

UPDATE; I (29f) spoke to my parents, who ghosted me 5 years ago after my wedding and have now reached out.

I got whiplash from the age gap in the OP, I was all set up for it to be 24f marrying 52m but it was just 1 year? :confused:

Using "she married her boss, gross" as cover for being racist is truly innovative.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

gonna be honest my eyes started glazing over at the umptillionth paragraph unpacking how bitchy and petty this writer's group is but none of it seems to materially pertain to the actual thrust of the dispute, that anyone can or should enforce a copyright claim on anyone cribbing your facebook posts or letters or other stuff you say in a non-professional capacity with the ferocity of Disney coming at an off-license Mickey Mouse. The fact that writers are mostly deranged egotists who use their work to air their very stupidest grievances can kinda be taken as read by anyone who's ever been to a writer's group or, like, paid attention to a novel.

the ultimate sin here was probably having been once stung going back to pester a reporter into telling her story, at which point they condensed all this dreary horseshit down into another entertaining story with her as the buffoonish villain lol

Yeah, I closed the tab when I realized it was going to be mostly looking at groupchats. I super don't care what petty thoughts someone expresses in what is meant to be a conversation that will only be seen by trusted friends. I'm a petty bitch and that's what my petty bitch friends are for. If someone did a tl;dr that only focused on things done and said in public and to the organ donor's face I could see that being interesting, but I feel like the original article already kinda did that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the fact that Blade happens to be a daywalker doesn't mean the world doesn't need vampire hunters

One time when I was maybe a bit high I saw this guy walking into a convenience store with a bike helmet on and I invented an elaborate backstory where his mother had been bitten by a cyclist while he was still in the womb, blade-style, and i pointed at him and yelled “helmetwalker” and then immediately turned and left the store.

I never did see a bicycle so I assume my backstory was correct

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

One time when I was maybe a bit high I saw this guy walking into a convenience store with a bike helmet on and I invented an elaborate backstory where his mother had been bitten by a cyclist while he was still in the womb, blade-style, and i pointed at him and yelled “helmetwalker” and then immediately turned and left the store.

I never did see a bicycle so I assume my backstory was correct

lmao hell yeah

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My [21 M] girlfriend [20 F] of 5 months is afraid that blowjobs will mess up her teeth

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been dating for about five months now. I go down on her often. But whenever I ask if she'd do the same for me, she doesn't want to. She says she doesn't like it, and she's afraid that it will mess up her teeth. My girlfriend used to wear braces, and recently got them off about a year ago so most of her fear stems from her not having them off for too long.

If she doesn't like it, I understand. However, I've looked into it a lot. While I'm no orthodontist, the general consensus is that blowjobs won't mess up your teeth. I'm not asking her to give me a blowjob everyday for hours on end, I just ask her every now and then. And I've told her as much. I'm also confused because when we have sex, she'll suck me off for a bit, but only if I'm wearing a condom. I've asked her if she'd do that without a condom, but she said no. Granted, she's only done that like two times.

I'm rambling a bit, but it's relevant. She recently gave me a blowjob to completion for the first time, but I was wearing a condom. I don't mind that part because at this point I'll take it, and it was my suggestion so as to avoid a mess (we were messing around in my car, but I had a feeling she wouldn't have considered it without a condom). After we finished, she noticed that I really liked it, but kept saying it was a once in a blue moon type of deal. I try to talk her into doing it a bit more often, and she brings up the whole teeth thing again.

So here we are. I mentioned earlier that she said she didn't like doing it, but after I finished she said "I guess that wasn't too bad", so that makes me think her main aversion is the teeth thing, and not that she actively dislikes doing it. Is she right? Will her teeth get messed up? If not, any tips/suggestions/recommendations as to what I can say to assuage her fears? She wears her retainer most nights too, so I don't think her teeth are in any danger. And yes I've told her she shouldn't be using her teeth anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zurtilik posted:

My [21 M] girlfriend [20 F] of 5 months is afraid that blowjobs will mess up her teeth

"And yes I've told her she shouldn't be using her teeth anyway."

Well now hold on a moment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry you had to find out like this but "rock hard" is just an expression

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I played roleplaying games with people in their 30s (and 40s, 50s, and 60s) when I was a teenager, but in a gaming store, not at a house party with booze.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

That said, I think it’s interesting that dude is totally ok with his gf’s hobbies, but reeeaaaallly wants to beat up dudes with the same hobbies (albeit more obnoxiously). This whole thing stinks of toxic masculinity imo, with women allowed to be childish while men must be MEN.
"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my girlfriend's Gundam and turn Otakon into Otashit

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Halloween Jack posted:

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn my girlfriend's Gundam and turn Otakon into Otashit

Snake please, we've talked about this

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Everett False posted:

Yeah, I closed the tab when I realized it was going to be mostly looking at groupchats. I super don't care what petty thoughts someone expresses in what is meant to be a conversation that will only be seen by trusted friends. I'm a petty bitch and that's what my petty bitch friends are for. If someone did a tl;dr that only focused on things done and said in public and to the organ donor's face I could see that being interesting, but I feel like the original article already kinda did that.

The aspect of this technically being a workplace dispute tends to get glossed over, compared to the plagiarism and the petty shittalking.

Like, if this was a just a conflict between friends that would be one thing. But one person stole the literal words from a coworker (who is in a lower position than you) without crediting them, and then rallied the rest of their elite writer group to bat for her. Thats huge imbalace in power and sin compared to the person being cringe online and demanding acknowledgement. Especially when the artistic director of the organization says he wants to "exact revenge on this pestilence of a person," and another person would ice out Dawn, presumably leading to her resignation.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Zurtilik posted:

I'm also confused because when we have sex, she'll suck me off for a bit, but only if I'm wearing a condom. I've asked her if she'd do that without a condom, but she said no.

It's not about the teeth buddy.

Scaevolus posted:

An update on that "The Kindest" kidney donation story plagiarism drama, where someone actually read through the court documents to reconstruct what happened:

https://summerbrennan.substack.com/p/bad-discourse-friend-the-unraveling
https://summerbrennan.substack.com/p/bad-discourse-friend-the-unraveling-cae

Dawn might be annoying, but Sonya just sucks.
I missed this twitter drama, but from reading this, it looks like Dawn is a goober who got (more than) a little wrapped up in self-importance as a donor, and Sonya is a lovely "friend" who enjoys being cruel as long as it has no consequences.

I mean, seems like Dawn's worst crime was that she was loving cringe (which she was, no doubt). I don't even care about the theoretical IP theft, I have my own opinions about that, but who writes and publishes a story specifically designed to cut off your friend's ego at the knees? Especially for the egregious act of being too proud that she's helping to save someone's life? That's just grimy behavior, especially if you don't have the guts to just tell them they're being an rear end in a top hat.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Antianime guy definitely has issues, but this is totally an ESH situation, cause those nerds are gross and obnoxious sounding, and the GF is blind both to that and to how easily some of their skeevey bits could come back to bite her. Stuff like oh, having a minor over at your place with a bunch of drunk near 30 year olds. All that takes is one parent getting a whiff and the cops are getting called.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ShootaBoy posted:

Antianime guy definitely has issues, but this is totally an ESH situation, cause those nerds are gross and obnoxious sounding, and the GF is blind both to that and to how easily some of their skeevey bits could come back to bite her. Stuff like oh, having a minor over at your place with a bunch of drunk near 30 year olds. All that takes is one parent getting a whiff and the cops are getting called.

It's definitely a "You're right, but for dozens of wrong reasons" situation.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I also doubt he's actually violent or even seriously thinks about "throwing them off balconies" or whatever. Some people just exaggerate a lot when expressing anger or frustration.

I'd say he's mostly right though, sorry weebs. It's literally having negative effects on her physical health already. Her mental health will be next to go as she becomes so enveloped in anime nerd culture that she can no longer relate to anyone but a bunch of smelly nerds who 100% want to bang her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Im 42 and I recently went out on a few dates with a woman close to my age. Her stance on blowjobs was that she hated them and doesn't do them and that the only two times she did them in her 10 year marriage was when she wanted a fancy new fridge and a vacation.