Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I tried to find the AoS thread but could not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vagabong posted:

People want to talk about AoS here because the AoS thread is (unsurprisingly) full of people who like AoS, whereas people here are more likely to enjoy WHFB and who (also unsurprisingly) aren't too keen on AoS. It's probably best to keep the two streams separate unless you want to see a big slapfight.

I like both. I'd wager 99%+ of AOS players also like the fantasy story and TW

Collapsing Farts posted:

Thread is very slow unless something new is coming out.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Collapsing Farts posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970630&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sometimes I just say to myself Khorne Bloodbound Bloodblade Warband

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Eyy, I'm bloodsecrating over heee

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mantis42 posted:

age of ligma

not much what's ligma with you?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm curious now, and let's assume that Warhammer: Old World releases during WH3's lifespan.

Is there anyone here who would start collecting Warhammer: Old World models (don't have to be like buying a whole army just buying some models here-and-there), as a result of getting into the setting through TW? Also as an extension, would you then actually be interested in playing the tabletop game?

I guess if you collected WHFB prior to TW then you're excluded from this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Arghy posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...cle7_bookbundle
$30 for every warham old world RPG book! Now i will be able to quickly pull up the PDF to see if that shits correct or not haha.

This also includes the entire 4e Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay range??? That's an insane deal

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm curious now, and let's assume that Warhammer: Old World releases during WH3's lifespan.

Is there anyone here who would start collecting Warhammer: Old World models (don't have to be like buying a whole army just buying some models here-and-there), as a result of getting into the setting through TW? Also as an extension, would you then actually be interested in playing the tabletop game?

If they came preassembled and painted I'd be tempted to at least pick up a small warband or something just for fun, but I'd have no interest in playing the tabletop game except maaaaybe a Warhammer Quest.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

I got into WHFB via TWWH and bought a bunch of the books because I've enjoyed the lore, as well as a professionally painted AoS Thanquol & Boneripper model from Etsy because it didn't look too off from the Fantasy stuff (and Skaven are my fav faction), which is the aesthetic I prefer.

I'd love to get a few more models, but it will probably have to wait until Old World models are available.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Obviously a lot of people like AoS since it's outselling the old warhammer stuff massively
almost like it actually gets regular updates. Wonders what that does for a game. Still evidently sells less than LotR used to.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Terrible Opinions posted:

almost like it actually gets regular updates. Wonders what that does for a game. Still evidently sells less than LotR used to.

And has new miniatures so you're not stuck using 10 year old sculpts for the majority of your army.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Speaking personally, the LotR system was really good and fun. Plus you didn't need too many models compared to WHFB and 40k at the time (unless you went with competitive Hobbits).

GW had a historical gaming range for a while (I remember there was a Wild West system and a Pirates system), and they used the LotR system as well. The warband/campaign rules were also Mordheim/Necromunda esc. It was neat.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'll be cold in the grave before I buy an unpainted model

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Obviously a lot of people like AoS since it's outselling the old warhammer stuff massively

i really wish people had a better understanding of the whole "supply and demand" relationship. hint: people can't buy what there's no supply of!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

I had some goblins and dwarfs back when I was ten, but TW got me back into the series and I ended up buying a few of the remaining empire kits.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

i really wish people had a better understanding of the whole "supply and demand" relationship. hint: people can't buy what there's no supply of!
More or less all of mismatch in perception between GW and the fans can be explained by the armies each only getting updated one at a time, new units usually being introduced only with one of those updates, and unpopular armies getting de-prioritized for updates. So as a result if any army started falling behind they would get less popular in terms of actual sales cause they were weak, and then they would be less likely to get updated due to poor sales. A lot of this would be resolved if once digital updates were available they did small but regular updates across the entire range akin to Warmachine/Hordes, either via subscription app or by making the rules free pdfs. Or if you don't want to go digital just include rules with the models and include errata/updates online as a backup.

I believe AoS went the free pdf and rules with models mix.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I do think it's possible that the way the company is run now with better management could have revived Fantasy, but honestly it also seems like getting the opportunity to make a bunch of all new armies for Age of Sigmar got people to open their wallets in a way that refreshing old lines alone might not have. I think the old setting was more interesting than the new one, but AoS seems to be a huge success by pretty much any metric.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They just released a Miao Ying vs Kairos wallpaper on Total War Access.

Do people care about wallpapers? No. Did they ever? Probably not. This is a nothing, except it means that this week, we technically had a :siren:quadruple announcement:siren: with the wallpapers, Kairos blurb, siege video, and Kislev mechanics reveal. The updates are accelerating!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Warhammer Fantasy Battles was never a great game, hell it was rarely a good game. But it's very unique. It's the only rank-and-file fantasy wargame set at the army level*. There are a dozen skirmish level games, and a few army scale games that use larger bases, but none that captured the specific overlap of scale and maneuver like WFB did. Even if you don't think that the setting was all that interesting, the game attached was something you couldn't get anywhere else.

Part of the tragedy of AoS is that it replaced a unique game with yet another loose-base platoon scale game. There are plenty of those, and most have better rules than GW could ever come up with. Especially at release, AoS actually had really bad rules. But even though I have been assured that the game itself functions better, it still functions better as a loose-base platoon scale game, and I am not interested in another one of those. If AoS were a rank-and-file army scale game, I'd at least want to try it out

* Kings of War is sometimes listed as a WFB replacement. It is not. It is my opinion that KoW is a very bad wargame, but either way it's not RaF

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

* Kings of War is sometimes listed as a WFB replacement. It is not. It is my opinion that KoW is a very bad wargame, but either way it's not RaF

Okay now THIS might be the craziest thing posted in this thread.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Deleter posted:

Okay now THIS might be the craziest thing posted in this thread.

Which part? Where I point out that a game where everything is super generic and the differences between armies comes down to which stat they get +1 to isn't a good game? Or where I point out that even though the bases are modeled with multiple soldiers in ranks the game doesn't actually interact with ranks at all and is just a skirmish level game with big bases?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Okay but you didn't actually post any of that.

E: And also, gently caress rank and flank in general, overrated as hell and the way Fantasy did it was to painstakingly model each individual soldier and bore me to death.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hahaha get this guys, I'm actually gonna post about the Total War: Warhammer computer game!? Crazy, amirite?

Doomykins posted:

Buddy let me tell you about a little lady they call Le Lioness, which means The Lioness.

Don't hold back. Chivalry calls.
Cheers for this, I'm amazed at how a few small changes made me giddy. Knightly vows, free peasant mobs, and away we gooo~

But serious question; my last Bret game was with small unit sizes (I have performance issues), I've since learnt to use large units and just turn everything down, but I'm running into the trouble that I can't really field much cav at all as they all get tangled on each other. I mean yea yea peasant bowmen and trebuchets, but even running ~8 knights is too many as even a single unit charging in results in many models not fighting. I'm trying to cycle charge but there's still not a lot of space imo? The answer will eventually solve itself with newly improved RAF hippo knights to reach the backlines, but its still bizzare to see a horse pileup.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Using big blobs of cav to maximum effect requires you to micro them and spread them out so they're charging from different angles and/or wrapping around the enemy's line. If you just select a group of cav and charge the front they'll get tangled on each other and do basically nothing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Might be late for that guy that was looking for tips, but this is probably the most concise guide to the game I’ve seen

https://youtu.be/_UscHC75fD8

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Should I be deploying far back then, to allow for time to flank? I've been kind of embracing a pseudo-vanguard bumrush thing to minimize time getting shot at. I mean, I know what flanking looks like as I've seen the AI do it aplenty when I played dwarfs, but for all their finessing around they usually arrive with half their army to the gunline. I'm also still trying to break a few bad habits of thinking in tabletop terms, stuff like "greatswords doesn't mean anything about general choppyness" and that "shoving two units of brets in front != instabreak"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have durable cavalry you can charge them in early to pin down the enemy line while you wheel around the sides withyour shock cavalry. If you aren't running a full cavalry army you would normally make contact in the front with you infantry and flank with the horses.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm new to WH2, and having a lot of fun, but I'm also getting my rear end kicked. I thought that having played previous TW games that I would be comfortable, but I'm not. I've decided to start as Karl Franz, on normal/normal difficulty. On both my attempts, the elector counts get themselves destroyed by vampires, dark elves, and the occasional greenskin troop. I can't protect them all at once. This leaves hostile factions on all sides of me. What should my game plan be for the first fifty turns or so?

Also is there a way to limit the amount of auto saves the game makes, instead of never deleting older ones?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
First thing is to secure your home province and grab marienburg. That will give you resources to work with in both getting a full 20 stack and to start leveling up your lord. Check on the first goblin LL to see if he is dead or not and if possible squash him as quickly as possible. Once that is done you need to haul rear end to Sylvania and crush the Vampire Counts. From there it will depend on the state of map but that should put you in an okay position.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Alternatively, make friends with Marienburg and concentrate on crushing the vamps which is how I did it

One thing I found when I started is that you really have to build a lot of money buildings almost everywhere, just trying to rely on tax income (like some other TW games) won't cut it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is an incredibly huge expense to retake a settlement. You at least need to rebuild, but you also need to pay the costs of fielding that army, including recruitment and upkeep for the 2+ turns it takes just to bring them back to that settlement. And if it’s razed then it’s an even LARGER expense. All of this is even more operative for capitals. And the time costs and loss of growth is just massive.

Raising a cheap army in response to a dude on your borders (then disbanding when they gently caress off) is significantly cheaper than losing a settlement and needing to rebuild.

To that end, the most valuable thing you can do is ensure you don’t lose any territory you get. This means building walls asap and keeping an eye out for armies— walls go up on every single settlement no question. A single swordsman on a wall can defeat two swordsmen coming up ladders, and a tower will usually wipe at least one unit over the course of a siege defense. You can expect a T5 settlement with walls with a full stack to be completely utterly unassailable, no matter what. In one game I had a walled T5 settlement garrisoned by Tyrion and a bunch of high-tier/level units (and flame phoenixes) defend against 5 late game stacks of skaven. I had to cycle melee troops because they were so fatigued from chopping up rats.

That being said, you want to make sure you have responses to unit types. Swords are basically useless against monsters, cavalry, and armor. Spears are always useful because they are good against monsters and cavalry even if they’re slightly weaker against swords. So just get spears— shielded are better than undhielded. And halberds are functionally a direct upgrade over spears even though they lose a shield against almost every faction, since most large troops are armored. Vampires and Chaos don’t get any ranged units at all (other than chaos’s hellcannons) so halberds are always strictly better than spears against Vamps and Chaos. Because of the propensity for monsters and armor against Vampires and Chaos, you should also never bring swords against them. Flagellants are fine because they are unbreakable. But they usually don’t last too long. Mortars are one of the most useful units in any roster in any faction. They shoot over units, have wide splash and good damage. They’re only bad against armor and monsters. But that’s why you have halberds and handgunners. You can easily get away with winning a campaign using solely halberds, handgunners, and mortars. But empire cavalry is also very powerful and late-game empire artillery is absolutely devastating.

Economy is key, and for empire that means tailors and trade. A single tailor building can support 2-4 non-elite units, so a province with 4 tailors is basically a full stack (or more) you can send out to do things. More if it’s marienburg/Reikland. Upkeep expenses are significant so if an army isn’t killing, it’s costing a lot of money. Using an army to settle public order is a hugely inefficient use of dollars. It’s Better to raid your own area and force a rebellion to get free bucks from killing them and get the public order modifier of cracking down on rebels.

The AI is bad at ambushes so you can put your dude right outside a settlement in ambush stance and the AI will think the settlement is undefended and attack. If the ambush works the garrison joins the fight, which makes matters even worse for the AI. You can mouseover where you intend to ambush to see ambush chances: if there’s a bit of forest it’ll be a much higher chance to succeed. You can use this to defeat much stronger armies: they start the battle fatigued and out of formation, you start the battle right against them and you can set your formation.

Lords and heroes are hard as poo poo to kill with units outside of a few exceptions, so you should have a response to lords and heroes, like a witch hunter or captain. A good hero slaying unit is riflemen, especially if they’re firing at a lord/hero engaged in single combat. Exception on this is against ghosts. You need magic damage to kill them, and the only really good source of that is a wizard, a magic weapon on your lords/heroes, or the RoR handgunners (they deal magic damage).

Also fire mages are, without a doubt, the most powerful mage against vampires, skaven, and greenskins. They’re the best at killing large amounts of unarmored troops.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 22, 2021

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kaza42 posted:

Part of the tragedy of AoS is that it replaced a unique game with yet another loose-base platoon scale game. There are plenty of those, and most have better rules than GW could ever come up with. Especially at release, AoS actually had really bad rules. But even though I have been assured that the game itself functions better, it still functions better as a loose-base platoon scale game, and I am not interested in another one of those. If AoS were a rank-and-file army scale game, I'd at least want to try it out

This was my main complaint about AoS. The trashcanning of the good setting in favor of the Bloodsecrating Bloodmurder Bloodgangs of Khorne and Sigmar's Space Marine Ripoffs was disappointing, but the true crime was making the new game an even worse version of 40K.

Node posted:

Also is there a way to limit the amount of auto saves the game makes, instead of never deleting older ones?

I'd love this, but no. You can disable "incremental saves" in the save screen which means you only have one autosave and one quicksave which get overwritten as oppossed to a new one every time. I don't think there's a way to limit them to a specific number, just 1 or infinite.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I'm trying to finish any campaign I start now, so I'm 60 turns into Mazda's ME campaign and... there doesn't seem to be anything really unique? I just got Kroak so now I can really start loving people up. Two full provinces. Alith Anar is in the province north of me and I have friendly relations so I'm hoping he maintains a buffer against naggarond while I clean up lustria?

The geomantic web seems so boring. I just finished Helves Vortex (for the first time) so now I'm trying to rotate through the races but Mazda seems kinda boring. I guess I'll build up some stegadon doomstacks and keep going.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Scott Forstall posted:

I'm trying to finish any campaign I start now, so I'm 60 turns into Mazda's ME campaign and... there doesn't seem to be anything really unique? I just got Kroak so now I can really start loving people up. Two full provinces. Alith Anar is in the province north of me and I have friendly relations so I'm hoping he maintains a buffer against naggarond while I clean up lustria?

The geomantic web seems so boring. I just finished Helves Vortex (for the first time) so now I'm trying to rotate through the races but Mazda seems kinda boring. I guess I'll build up some stegadon doomstacks and keep going.

Yep, that's Lizardmen - cool units that allows you to have a lot of fun in tactical battles, but with campaign mechanics that are boring as poo poo. You are not missing anything there. The only Lizardmen faction whose mechanics are half-way decent are Tehenhauim who gets cool sacrifice mechanics and focus on skinks and killing rats and Oxyotl who can build secret forward bases all over the campaign map and teleport between them to serve basically as World Police. Both are DLC tho.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lizardmen are definitely the boring campaign mechanics race. They're not actually in a bad place as a faction like Norsca or some of the other pre-revamp factions were, and they have plenty of toys to play with in terms of their armies, but yeah geomantic web is pretty :effort:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A lot of the old lords are boring

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mazda is particularly boring because not only does he not have any special mechanics, his start position is probably the coziest in the game. The DElves might send a stack or two your way from up north, but you get a natural choke point to stall them forever with minimal investment. Once you clear the nearby orcs you can easily sleepwalk into a win by conquering/confedding all of Lustria.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2634386078

The ettin mod is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Node posted:

I'm new to WH2, and having a lot of fun, but I'm also getting my rear end kicked. I thought that having played previous TW games that I would be comfortable, but I'm not. I've decided to start as Karl Franz, on normal/normal difficulty. On both my attempts, the elector counts get themselves destroyed by vampires, dark elves, and the occasional greenskin troop. I can't protect them all at once. This leaves hostile factions on all sides of me. What should my game plan be for the first fifty turns or so?

If you keep bouncing off Karl try Tyrion instead he's like Karl but wealthier and more powerful. Tyrions the best learner lord at this point I think, Karls start has gotten significantly more hectic and while its not overwhelming if you are familiar with things, you still have to be familiar with them. Also most of the warhammer 1 lords will be a bit lackluster compared to any of the newer lords.