Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh nice, any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's pretty great, but it gets weird towards the end. Mary Gentle is a fantastic author and she wrote another work in the same universe called Ilario, about the travels and travails of an intersex painter.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

was there any sense of what germanic tribes were up to during the Second Punic War, or were they just keeping to themselves?

Is there a reason Hannibal never allied with them?

there weren't many germans interfacing with the mediterranean during that time period as far as we know. a group of tribes that some romans thought were germans - writing in hindsight, because nobody knew what a "german" was during the second punic war - hired on with philip V of macedon and fought rome during the macedonian wars, which were a sort of side-theater to the second punic war. they only really stand out during the third macedonian war 30 years later tho.

the germans don't enter the scene in a big way until the cimbri and teutones migrate into gaul and italy a hundred years after the second punic war, and the romans don't realize that "gaul" and "german" aren't the same thing until caesar talks to some german kings during the gallic wars

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

For both Rome and migration era warriors, there is just no evidence of big, thick gambeson type garments worn in conjunction with mail. Period art/sculpture do not show it, and there is no surviving evidence of it that i know of, granted fabric would be exceeding hard to find. Part of how we know they were prevalent in the medieval period is since they were useful on their own, so they start showing up in art and get mentioned in surviving writings. Archers and less well off soldiers would just fight in gambeson if that was all they had, since it was still a relatively effective defense. There is no similar depictions or mentions of a similar garment in the classical or migration periods that i know of. Wearing something under it, the subarmalis, makes perfect sense, but it does not seems to be a heavy duty, quilted and padded thing like a gambeson, which is what gave medieval knights enough protection that Muslim accounts from the crusades describe knights with multiple arrows sticking out of them that burst mail and lodged in the gambeson, but did not harm the knight.

Edit : To be clear, they likely wore thick stuff under it, but that is significantly different that a thing made out of 30 layers of fabric and padded to absorb blows. They were not counting on their armor to be like what medieval knights had, it was there to stop incidental damage, as well as providing excellent defense against slashes and cuts, as well as thrusts from broader tipped swords of the day.

romans wore cloth armor from the beginning of their history until the fall of constantinople

at first it was linothorax then gambeson

and linothorax could stop arrows too

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

romans wore cloth armor from the beginning of their history until the fall of constantinople

...and your evidence is?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tulip posted:

Oh nice, any good?

Like the other poster said good but weird

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Tulip posted:

Oh nice, any good?

Would defer to the experts but Mary Gentle certainly seemed to put a good bit of research into depicting late medieval warfare and all the details of keeping a mercenary company functioning prior to the mentioned weirdness.

There's a framing story of some modern-day researchers in the late 90s finding and 'translating' the story with their online editorial comments (which go from 'haha this is kinda weird' to full :psyduck:) that definitely made me think of the SA Milhist/Medieval/Roman threads when I read it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ChubbyChecker posted:

linothorax is not a gambeson. It is layered linen that is glued together and formed into shape, creating a more rigid defense. and if you are using the ERE then yes of course they used the same armor and poo poo as the rest of continental Europe, that is not the context of the discussion since that is in line with the same timeframe of it being post migration period.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
For a different kind of Roman armor, this is kinda cool

https://twitter.com/DrJEBall/status/1451608036963880961

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Selling horse armor was the real beginning of the end for the empire.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

now some rich kid scalps a german blonde after returning from a fortnite and calls it a skin while no one bats an eye

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cessna posted:

I know this is a podcast, not a book, but it's a good podcast:

Saga Thing

It's done by two Profs who specialize in Icelandic Lit, and this episode is specifically on the ritual "Holmgang" duels.

Yaargh, hold up. ST is extremely cool and good, it's a premier source on all things saga-related and I cannot recommend it enough - but sagas are almost never reliable sources! This saga brief draws primarily on Kormakssaga, and so is heavily , though not completely, based in fiction.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alan Smithee posted:

now some rich kid scalps a german blonde after returning from a fortnite and calls it a skin while no one bats an eye

The Judea DLC caused no end of headaches.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's such bullshit that the second half of the story is hidden in the Byzantine DLC.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Still don't see why the Byzantine devs couldn't just licence the name

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

linothorax is not a gambeson. It is layered linen that is glued together and formed into shape, creating a more rigid defense. and if you are using the ERE then yes of course they used the same armor and poo poo as the rest of continental Europe, that is not the context of the discussion since that is in line with the same timeframe of it being post migration period.

the glueing thing is a mistranslation and they're both cloth armors

linothorax is rigid from having so many layers

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I understand that in the pre-modern world fabric was expensive due to the labour involved, and having numerous layers would multiply that. What made linothorax affordable?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I understand that in the pre-modern world fabric was expensive due to the labour involved, and having numerous layers would multiply that. What made linothorax affordable?
Wouldn't that also apply to metal?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Lone Badger posted:

yeah, they weren't cheap, but probably still cheaper than metal armors

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ChubbyChecker posted:

The only reference I can find to this is one paper published in July of 2021 by a guy who does not seem to have published anything else, or at least nothing I can find easily. So while this may be the case, it's a big reworking of decades of research and experimental archeology by lots of people and I'll let the academics hash it out before accepting it as fact.

And regardless, that is still not the same as gambeson and mail being used in conjunction, and it's also not evidence of migration era and Viking era warriors using that system, which was the origin of this discussion.

One guy can always have had any idea. I'm sure individuals in history have done all kinds of poo poo that never was recorded. I'm certain some dude or even a small group of dudes might have done it, but the issue is evidence.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 23, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

Again, and per what WoodrowSkillson said, can we have some evidence and/or cites here? You keep asserting stuff as fact without anything to back it up.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

The Lone Badger posted:

In ancient Greece, one of the primary things women were expected to do was weave cloth: your archetypical Greek citizen's home had a loom. As long as your citizen hoplite warrior had a wife, which he was expected to have, he had free labor who could make his armor. We should also remember that hoplites were drawn from the middle and upper classes and were not decidedly not poor.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I read something once about how in viking age Scandinavia you tend to find a lot of spindle whorls. Both women and men would be spinning whenever their hands were free. Their sails were made of wool so you needed a lot of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FishFood posted:

In ancient Greece, one of the primary things women were expected to do was weave cloth: your archetypical Greek citizen's home had a loom. As long as your citizen hoplite warrior had a wife, which he was expected to have, he had free labor who could make his armor. We should also remember that hoplites were drawn from the middle and upper classes and were not decidedly not poor.

ACOUP did the math on premodern fabric productoin. To make just a basic year's set of clothing for a family was a full labour year mostly of spinning - getting enough fabric to make dozens of layers for a linothorax is a huge amount of labour and not something that can just be done as an extra.

That said, it could probably be largely made of rags.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zereth posted:

Wouldn't that also apply to metal?

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, they weren't cheap, but probably still cheaper than metal armors

lol

So like most things, the major entrant in expense is labor, and just in general premodern societies are poor at converting energy from their environment into substitute labor. Like windmills weren't invented til the 9th century at all, and nowadays we're heavily reliant on methods of converting random sources of heat to substitute for a wide variety of labors, but the further back you go the more things we have humans handle like having people push mill wheels (or even worse, push quern stones) up until you go so far back that people go 'gently caress it we'll do without' which is a little outside the scope of what we're talking about.

For metal, I'm assuming we mean iron, cuz we're talking about early iron age. Iron production is incredibly fuel intensive. There's not universal agreement about how efficient the process is (charcoaling introduces significant variability), but a good round estimate would be around 100 tons of wood per ton of iron. Which in turn means 26-40,000 hours of labor just for chopping wood and charcoaling. This is a lot. The mining and charcoaling all happen close to each other to reduce transportation costs (you transport the iron as bars). I don't have the numbers anywhere near to hand about stuff like blacksmithing, other than remembering that blacksmiths in the Roman era would use a lot of slaves to just smack things with a hammer over and over again. And I haven't mentioned mining because I really have no idea! I guess somebody could use cost estimates but I've already put enough effort into a post on a comedy forum.

For cloth, spinning dominates. Aldrete et al., (Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor (2013) estimates that a linothorax involves 25 hours to break, scutch and hackle the flax, 575 hours to spin it into thread, 75 hours to weave the thread into fabric (including loom setup time), and 8 hours to measure and cut the fabric. The spinning wheel will cut that dramatically, but the linothorax was obviously out of use for centuries before the spinning wheel comes into use.

The number I've seen for how much a legionnaire needs in terms of iron, which is admittedly total not just armor, is that you have about 50 tons of iron for 5000 guys, so each guy is using about 1/100 of a ton, so that's 260-400 hours of just chopping wood and charcoaling, plus y'know the whole "turning a bloom into anything useful." If somebody has the labor hours for those steps that could help, because currently it's relative spitting distance (again the linothorax is 683 hours). In either event, both of these things are crazy labor intensive. Even just a water mill hammer or spinning wheel would reduce this dramatically, let alone anything involving steam engines.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

From what I've read (which is admittedly not much because ew, Greeks) there's a lot of debate about how widespread linothorax was. Since none survives it's all based on guesswork from art and scattered written references, and there are opinions ranging from it really was not used at all in non-ceremonial contexts to it was the main form of armor almost entirely replacing metal. I have no idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rome homes had looms too

At least in Pompeii

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what makes the linothorax potentially compelling is the scarcity of bronze. in a greek context it is replacing a bronze cuirass, which is not at all trivial to produce - it may involve fewer labor-hours than a linothorax, but requires rarer materials with higher transportation costs.

the romans do not seem to have used them. maybe in the murky pre-samnite days where they fielded hoplites, but there's no evidence either way for such a thing

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

feedmegin posted:

Again, and per what WoodrowSkillson said, can we have some evidence and/or cites here? You keep asserting stuff as fact without anything to back it up.

These guys absolutely used rabbit glue in their replicas and wrote a book about the whole thing: https://jhupress.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/unraveling-the-linothorax-mystery-or-how-linen-armor-came-to-dominate-our-lives/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulmont posted:

These guys absolutely used rabbit glue in their replicas and wrote a book about the whole thing: https://jhupress.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/unraveling-the-linothorax-mystery-or-how-linen-armor-came-to-dominate-our-lives/

okay i'm loving this piece

quote:

We also found out that linen stiffened with rabbit glue strikes dogs as in irresistibly tasty rabbit-flavored chew toy, and that our Labrador retriever should not be left alone with our research project.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jazerus posted:

what makes the linothorax potentially compelling is the scarcity of bronze. in a greek context it is replacing a bronze cuirass, which is not at all trivial to produce - it may involve fewer labor-hours than a linothorax, but requires rarer materials with higher transportation costs.

the romans do not seem to have used them. maybe in the murky pre-samnite days where they fielded hoplites, but there's no evidence either way for such a thing

Chest armour is actually the least important piece for people who use big-rear end shields. Most hoplites in the early classical period just didn't wear any.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Never forget bronze is far more of a pain to actually get supply wise due to requiring long trade networks for either tin or copper compared to iron that just exists on it's own and can be processed and shaped into bars on the place before being shipped out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

FishFood posted:

In ancient Greece, one of the primary things women were expected to do was weave cloth: your archetypical Greek citizen's home had a loom.

This is true of like, practically every preindustrial society, isn’t it? Women spent a lot of time creating textiles and clothing, and since machine looms have trivialized what used to be an incredibly laborious process we in the modern world tend to have very little appreciation for how much went into it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The cheap option would be hardened/treated leather, right?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Koramei posted:

This is true of like, practically every preindustrial society, isn’t it? Women spent a lot of time creating textiles and clothing, and since machine looms have trivialized what used to be an incredibly laborious process we in the modern world tend to have very little appreciation for how much went into it.

Yeah, in ancient Egypt it was the #2 industry after farming. The thing is, I don't think ancient men had very much appreciation of it either, it was thought if as a given. Because it was unpaid labor and expected, it was taken for granted. To use the Egyptians as an example again, their art has a lot of scenes of men farming or making things in workshop but comparatively few depictions of women working on textiles, and their gender norms were a lot more egalitarian than the Greeks.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 23, 2021

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That’s actually kind of surprising, huh. Maybe only since it was explicitly one of the main units of taxation, but in Joseon Korea the labor that went into textile production was pretty carefully quantified and taxed in a way that was at least on paper (big qualifier there) meant to not be overly burdensome.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

The Lone Badger posted:

The cheap option would be hardened/treated leather, right?

not really, raising animals is expensive, tanning hides is a specialized and incredibly gross task, and there a dozens of preparatory stages between skinning and tanning.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Grand Fromage posted:

From what I've read (which is admittedly not much because ew, Greeks) there's a lot of debate about how widespread linothorax was. Since none survives it's all based on guesswork from art and scattered written references, and there are opinions ranging from it really was not used at all in non-ceremonial contexts to it was the main form of armor almost entirely replacing metal. I have no idea.

That's a bit rich for a guy who loves to defend the ERE.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

incredibly gross task,

This cannot be stressed enough, the methods range from very gross to literally the grossest smelling thing in the planet.

Think like “fat liquoring” and rubbing brain on things like you were applying suntan lotion gross. I encounter wet salted hides shipped in bulk in containers from time to time. They are fantastically gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Weka posted:

That's a bit rich for a guy who loves to defend the ERE.

Get a load of this Frank over here