Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

the big Enlightenment for me regarding EMMIs that turned them from frustrating to actually kinda fun was just going, instead of moving carefully or mucking about with the cloak*. this made me notice a few things

- when i got busted, I lost 30 seconds or less retrying - often a lot less, many EMMI zone door-to-door sections are tiny. made it less stressful on the whole to reflect on how little that <30 seconds matters
- the areas, especially the early ones, don't have a ton of dead ends; in fact they're mostly purpose-built AI Juke Loops for you to gain a lead on your extremely-as-the-crow-flies pursuer
- even if you do get backed into all but the smallest corners you can flash shift over or sometimes even just jump em and run the other way anyway. they don't react to you that fast, surprisingly

* 'cept one or two, you know which ones, the fuckres

i noticed these things in my first few encounters with them. the problem is that none of these aspects leads to compelling gameplay. instead it leads to tedious gameplay. its just normal trial and error, but more disruptive with mandatory cutscenes instead of just letting me explore a different path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ROJO posted:

Alternatively, no actual sequence breaks are necessary for sub 4 hours, you can just run the intended game route reasonably quickly and make it. Granted that requires you to reasonably know where you are going (so does sequence breaking) - but as long as you aren't getting super lost and saving while you are off in the wrong part of the world - it is totally doable with zero sequence breaks.

Yeah I'm not intending to do any sequence breaks, other than doing shinespark puzzle for an earlyish gravity suit (does that even count as a sequence break?). Maybe I'll give early grapple beam a try. 4 hours seems pretty generous, my hard mode run was 5:01 hours and I was by no means trying for a good time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I Am Just a Box posted:

The Space Jump should improve your mobility in water areas. You still can't gain arbitrary height underwater but you can now cross arbitrary horizontal distances.

FFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Thanks though! Finally on my way now.

Good Sphere posted:

I’ve had this happen with these types of games. If you take too long of a break, you start forgetting details of what is going on and where things are. I’d just focus on Dread, and you’ll get it. Then again, you said you were bored of it. To me, part of the fun is getting lost and figuring out the world like it’s a puzzle, but it’s not for everyone.

Anyway, Ghavoran may appear locked up, but it is in fact not. Find the teleport that goes to Burenia and see how you can continue from there.

The reason I'm getting bored is the combat and bosses, I play Metroid titles to chill, this one requires me to constantly be on point or I'm eating poo poo or playing a boss over again 10 times. This trial by fire poo poo doesn't suit Metroid. I never find the bosses to be rewarding upon defeat, I'm just alleviated it's over with, so I usually just find the nearest save point and put the game down for a day or two. And, like you said, doing that leaves me confused as to what I was even doing (doesn't help I've also been pretty high with my playthrough). I honestly had trouble even remembering what the last ability I got was with my previous post.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

sigher posted:

The reason I'm getting bored is the combat and bosses, I play Metroid titles to chill, this one requires me to constantly be on point or I'm eating poo poo or playing a boss over again 10 times. This trial by fire poo poo doesn't suit Metroid. I never find the bosses to be rewarding upon defeat, I'm just alleviated it's over with, so I usually just find the nearest save point and put the game down for a day or two. And, like you said, doing that leaves me confused as to what I was even doing (doesn't help I've also been pretty high with my playthrough). I honestly had trouble even remembering what the last ability I got was with my previous post.

If you go to the map screen and press L there's a log of events like what your last briefing with Adam was or the last item you got, that might help

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

sigher posted:

I know what you mean. I felt similarly, and I wanted it to be more like what I remembered about Super Metroid, which felt a lot more exploration-based and way less difficult fighting. Luckily, there are times in the game where the experience is like that, and most enemies you can just breeze through. But the game does in fact pack a challenge and beats you into submission throughout a large portion of the game, though the EMMI stuff does eventually calm down a bit too. One big difference between our experience are the bosses, because I felt they were very rewarding to defeat. The game really demands the player improves their skill, yet it never takes cheap shots and is actually very fair, which I love. The game was right about “no attack is unavoidable”.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
With most of the bosses I basically had what I hear the Dark Souls experience is where you get your chassis handled to you a dozen times until all the patterns click and you understand what you're supposed to do.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Hadn't considered a 0% run until someone in the thread mentioned it, kind of love it for the thrill but hoo boy do I miss a bit of wiggle room.
Made it to phase3 of the final boss this morning before work and thought I was doin real well til I slipped up and ate a megalaser.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I know the EMMI were made by The Federation, but are the EMMI zones themselves made by the Federation or Chozo?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
This game ramps loving fast to the end game.

I assume anyways, I just got to Raven Beak after I feel the game just threw all the end game weapons and poo poo at me. Like, here is Power bombs, a new beam, and screw attack, go loving nuts. I do like how Smamus just becomes a murder god though.

Then again, I am probably setting myself up to realize there is a whole section on the right that I haven't discovered yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good Sphere posted:

I know the EMMI were made by The Federation, but are the EMMI zones themselves made by the Federation or Chozo?

I got the impression the rooms are just rooms that are controlled by the mini Mother Brains. They were probably used by the Chozo for something else before civilisation crumbled and they were a convenient place to put the EMMIs because the brains were capable of redirecting them.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Cleared Hard Mode in 5 hours- combination of not really knowing precisely where to go and not being able to help myself with regards to going out of the way to get some missile/health upgrades.

those neon energy tanks look so sick c'mon it's not fair

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i noticed these things in my first few encounters with them. the problem is that none of these aspects leads to compelling gameplay. instead it leads to tedious gameplay. its just normal trial and error, but more disruptive with mandatory cutscenes instead of just letting me explore a different path.

I don't know if you know this but you having to try again after reaching a failure state in a game isn't "trial and error" its just how most video games work.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Just finished the game. Fun time, and the ending was sick but why did the planet explode?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Just finished the game. Fun time, and the ending was sick but why did the planet explode?

Samus was on it.

For real though

Somehow the X had hosed up the planetary core.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Updog Scully posted:

These things happen

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The planets from the Prime games should count their lucky stars that they all encountered Samus and lived.

Except one, of course.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoran posted:

The planets from the Prime games should count their lucky stars that they all encountered Samus and lived.

Except one, of course.

Two if you count Dark Aether

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

stev posted:

I got the impression the rooms are just rooms that are controlled by the mini Mother Brains. They were probably used by the Chozo for something else before civilisation crumbled and they were a convenient place to put the EMMIs because the brains were capable of redirecting them.

See I thought the Central Units were improvements on the Aurora Units from Prime 3, which were Federation made and similar to Mother Brain. The feds seem to keep basing their supercomputers off mother brain and are surprised when it turns on them

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was assuming Central Units were Chozo creations, and Mother Brain was basically just one that got hijacked.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah it's canon that the chozo did the brain computers first. we didn't know they just made a whole bunch of them until now tho. it's clear they're of the same type/model as mother brain (also chozo creation) and they're even defended by the same turrets so i guess the chozo just installed these things all over the place and we're lucky only mother brain got ideas.

chozo: big on bio-mechanical stuff and also being the cause of everything wrong in the galaxy

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

stev posted:

That’s right. I forgot about the brains in those areas, which makes sense the whole area would be Chozo.

But then how are there exactly enough EMMIs for each designated space, and why do they limit themselves to those areas?

Your Computer posted:

yeah it's canon that the chozo did the brain computers first. we didn't know they just made a whole bunch of them until now tho. it's clear they're of the same type/model as mother brain (also chozo creation) and they're even defended by the same turrets so i guess the chozo just installed these things all over the place and we're lucky only mother brain got ideas.

chozo: big on bio-mechanical stuff and also being the cause of everything wrong in the galaxy

I think they are Chozo, but different brains, because these are armored, and even when the armor’s destroyed, they seem to be able to float and shield themselves using their grandiose power of thought alone.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 22, 2021

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Good Sphere posted:

But then how are there exactly enough EMMIs for each designated space, and why do they limit themselves to those areas?

If the EMMI weren't being controlled they could go anywhere, but because the CUs are being used to control the EMMI and the CUs have limited control range, the EMMIs are limited to the areas each CU controls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good Sphere posted:

my guess is that it's just conveniently the exact number because video game, and raven beak made them patrol those areas specifically because they contain the brains which are the only thing with the energy to destroy the emmi. it's a pretty video-gamey thing regardless but it makes sense to me anyway

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Dieting Hippo posted:

If the EMMI weren't being controlled they could go anywhere, but because the CUs are being used to control the EMMI and the CUs have limited control range, the EMMIs are limited to the areas each CU controls.

But Samus destroys control units. So maybe they go on autopilot after this happens and are confined to those areas based on their altered programming.

Your Computer posted:

my guess is that it's just conveniently the exact number because video game, and raven beak made them patrol those areas specifically because they contain the brains which are the only thing with the energy to destroy the emmi. it's a pretty video-gamey thing regardless but it makes sense to me anyway

Yes the video game-ness shines through, but in a totally acceptable way. There’s really no better way to design that type of game (that I know of) where you have a world designed around your collected abilities, and even makes you stuck in an area after getting a new ability, which is a great way to teach a player without words and ruining the immersion.

e: It also makes sense they are confined to those areas to protect the control units.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Good Sphere posted:

But Samus destroys control units. So maybe they go on autopilot after this happens and are confined to those areas based on their altered programming.

Yes the video game-ness shines through, but in a totally acceptable way. There’s really no better way to design that type of game (that I know of) where you have a world designed around your collected abilities, and even makes you stuck in an area after getting a new ability, which is a great way to teach a player without words and ruining the immersion.

when the control units get destroyed the E.M.M.I. that was formerly under it’s control is now free to beeline to you because they can detect the omega cannon signature.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If you go to the map screen and press L there's a log of events like what your last briefing with Adam was or the last item you got, that might help

Thanks!

Good Sphere posted:

I know what you mean. I felt similarly, and I wanted it to be more like what I remembered about Super Metroid, which felt a lot more exploration-based and way less difficult fighting. Luckily, there are times in the game where the experience is like that, and most enemies you can just breeze through. But the game does in fact pack a challenge and beats you into submission throughout a large portion of the game, though the EMMI stuff does eventually calm down a bit too. One big difference between our experience are the bosses, because I felt they were very rewarding to defeat. The game really demands the player improves their skill, yet it never takes cheap shots and is actually very fair, which I love. The game was right about “no attack is unavoidable”.

The game is fair (outside of Melee counters, the varying length of time on the same attack are some bullshit) and challenging, you're right but I don't want the latter in Metroid. I'm honestly looking forward to the point where I have all of the upgrades and I'm just going to mop up the rest of the items, because finding them and figuring the puzzles to attain them is pure, distilled Metroid. It's :discourse:. I yearn for that while I play, and wish the game had more of it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

With most of the bosses I basically had what I hear the Dark Souls experience is where you get your chassis handled to you a dozen times until all the patterns click and you understand what you're supposed to do.

I love me some Sekiro and Bloodborne and beating the bosses in those are harder than anything in Dread but it feels amazing to finish FromSoft bosses and I'm sadly not getting that with Dread. It also helps that the bosses in Bloodborne and Sekiro are some of the best in all of gaming, they're just loving awesome, have dope rear end attacks and it's just amazing bombast coupled with stunning locations and music. The bosses, outside of difficulty, have been pretty middle of the road or completely dull in Dread. The only boss that got me excited was Kraid, it helps that there's nostalgia behind him, I loved the attack pattern and what you had to do to beat it, it felt inspired as all hell and is probably my favorite fight in all of 2D Metroid. Outside of that the soldier things just feel like tanky enemies regular enemies, the eye things that area always rehashed would have been good as a one off-thing rather than a theme in variation (it's crazy someone thought to making this a repeated fight), the E.M.M.I.'s are just terrible in every regard and should have been cut and the unique bosses have been forgettable. The game demands you be the most concentrated during bosses but they didn't make the bosses interesting enough to warrant that from me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a little weird that you can melee whenever but it never actually does anything outside of a counter window, in retrospect

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Plenty of things you can kill with the dash melee. Also the heel flip when you melee out of a morph is just rad.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I liked smashing frozen enemies with the melee. Overall an improvement from Samus Returns where it felt like I had to melee counter every trash mob or they’d take 100 beam hits to kill.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If I gently caress up a melee counter then I just beat them to death, tends to work in late game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It actually does damage? I tried to kick bats and some other guys but they never seemed to die unless iced.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Good Sphere posted:

Technically the EMMIs are owned by the Federation, but appear to have actually been made by whoever "Exelion Star Corporation" is. Which is interesting that the detail was included, but not brought up other than their logo appearing once in the intro and again in the gallery.
Makes me wonder if they were established to come up again in a later game, or if someone just felt like throwing in a military contractor for some flavor.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It actually does damage? I tried to kick bats and some other guys but they never seemed to die unless iced.

Only the running melee does damage. Stand-still melee just bops an enemy backwards with no damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dieting Hippo posted:

Only the running melee does damage. Stand-still melee just bops an enemy backwards with no damage.

Ohh didn't know that

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Ohh didn't know that

Yep, there's also a visual indicator! Regular melee is a light whiff, dash melee will turn yellow/red.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Melee dash's damage also increases when you get the Varia and Gravity upgrades. I have no idea how much though.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Gruckles posted:

Technically the EMMIs are owned by the Federation, but appear to have actually been made by whoever "Exelion Star Corporation" is. Which is interesting that the detail was included, but not brought up other than their logo appearing once in the intro and again in the gallery.
Makes me wonder if they were established to come up again in a later game, or if someone just felt like throwing in a military contractor for some flavor.

Cool, I didn’t notice that detail.

sigher posted:

Thanks!

The game is fair (outside of Melee counters, the varying length of time on the same attack are some bullshit) and challenging, you're right but I don't want the latter in Metroid. I'm honestly looking forward to the point where I have all of the upgrades and I'm just going to mop up the rest of the items, because finding them and figuring the puzzles to attain them is pure, distilled Metroid. It's :discourse:. I yearn for that while I play, and wish the game had more of it.

I love me some Sekiro and Bloodborne and beating the bosses in those are harder than anything in Dread but it feels amazing to finish FromSoft bosses and I'm sadly not getting that with Dread. It also helps that the bosses in Bloodborne and Sekiro are some of the best in all of gaming, they're just loving awesome, have dope rear end attacks and it's just amazing bombast coupled with stunning locations and music. The bosses, outside of difficulty, have been pretty middle of the road or completely dull in Dread. The only boss that got me excited was Kraid, it helps that there's nostalgia behind him, I loved the attack pattern and what you had to do to beat it, it felt inspired as all hell and is probably my favorite fight in all of 2D Metroid. Outside of that the soldier things just feel like tanky enemies regular enemies, the eye things that area always rehashed would have been good as a one off-thing rather than a theme in variation (it's crazy someone thought to making this a repeated fight), the E.M.M.I.'s are just terrible in every regard and should have been cut and the unique bosses have been forgettable. The game demands you be the most concentrated during bosses but they didn't make the bosses interesting enough to warrant that from me.

I sometimes DREAD facing the EMMIs, but I love the challenge they provide, and the fear they induce is so effective. And the design of them in general is so cool. I hope Nintendo teams up with a company to produce larger scale, high quality models of them with limbs that can be repositioned and such. I shall place it in my china cabinet for relatives and other guests to marvel at. :q:

The bosses are for a lot of the part inspired to me, but maybe not for everyone. You may also have way more experience than me in other games that truly have better bosses.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 22, 2021

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

dread bosses and souls bosses are too different to compare imho, in souls games a boss is mostly a test of timing while movement and positioning are way more important in dread

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

TheComicFiend posted:

Hadn't considered a 0% run until someone in the thread mentioned it, kind of love it for the thrill but hoo boy do I miss a bit of wiggle room.
Made it to phase3 of the final boss this morning before work and thought I was doin real well til I slipped up and ate a megalaser.

Heck yeah gg! I have the most fun with 0%, where we’re going we don’t need energy or missiles :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Gruckles posted:

I'm calling it now, Exelion Star Corporation is a Shadow Company that some other Chozo were using to supply the Feds with advanced Chozo Tech, for some (possibly nefarious) reason.
That's about the only way I can explain EMMI's being resistant to anything Samus does with her Power Suit, because they knew how to make it resistant to Chozo Weaponry.