Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope the victims and their families get the entire movie budget and also the Baldwins disappear forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Somehow learning that Fran Drescher is president of SAG-AFTRA is almost as shocking to me as the firearms fuckup.

Brilliant negotiation tactic. "You're gonna either concede to our demands or listen to Fran talk for several hours, your choice"

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It’s utterly baffling how a modern movie production could make use of prop firearms without welded barrels, but then every time I let myself have a little faith in my fellow humans I am inevitably disappointed.

Also:

boop the snoot posted:

I hope the victims and their families get the entire movie budget and also the Baldwins disappear forever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One more confirmation on the live ammo thing:

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1451539334142779396?t=dRw0Opd3fBNJabUoSGjjwg&s=19

What I'm still confused about is one shot killing one and critically wounding another, unless it was a through-and-through. Also how the gently caress any kind of live ammo got on set and this not being an overpressured barrel obstruction / blank fired too close to person kind of deal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so IATSE is definitely going on strike now right?

Also, please don't be too quick to judge Actor Alec Baldwin, it's unfair for an actor to get blamed for accidents like this caused by corner cutting and incompetence. Responsibility for that must be assigned correctly, flowing up the chain of responsibility to the ultimate financial decisionmaker on this set, Producer Alec Baldwin.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 22, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Maybe get a union propmaster next time. It's not like the production company wasn't already saving money by filming in New Mexico.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Allegedly it was a shotgun which may explain the multiple hits. Otherwise the bullet may have gone through the cinematographer and into the director.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wrennic_26 posted:

Noticed:

Early on, some Chiefs did not don firefighting gear out of concern for their digicams (pg 35 point 25)

A San Diego firefighter spotted a change in the burn smoke and conditions and warned of a need to immediately evacuate; 90 seconds after all personnel were out, there was a massive explosion (pg 56 point 94)

Significant leadership internal conflict and confusion (pg 60)

An infrared drone helped image the fire during response (pg 75)

Drama within Repair Division, medals given out for nonfunctional anti fire foam system (page 113)

Broken 1MC ship’s phone system (pg 121 point 415)

Unauthorized lube movements (pg 124 point 441)

Tag yourself. I'm the unauthorized lube movement.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe get a union propmaster next time. It's not like the production company wasn't already saving money by filming in New Mexico.

More importantly get a competent one. I had one try and hand wave any of my concerns for my clients production (in NJ) by telling me he knew all the firearm laws and used to be a cop. I made sure they worked with a dummy non gun after that, and used CGI to add flashes.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the unauthorized lube movement.

Can we have the thread’s title changed to unauthorized lube movement?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can we have the thread’s title changed to unauthorized lube movement?

The Navy thread already claimed that one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My first guess was that it wasn't a real armor but somebody of Baldwin's, who totally knows about guns man. And yeah if it's a 44 my bet is on through and through people hunt thousand pound pigs with those things

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Navy thread already claimed that one.

Well fair enough they deserve it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What A Hell Of A Way To Die podcast today is making GBS threads on Colin Powell, and I am here for it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Good news, everyone!

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1451552512062930945

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sounds like some guys I know that run “road side “ military museums. Looks legit on paper at first , there’s a guy here in Texas who runs one and it’s basically a hobby business for him. He gets pick over all sorts of surplus military vehicles and gets donations from various places including space shuttle stuff that went to space and the museum is a steel barn that is in a airsoft business that’s sort of in the middle of nowhere. He’s got a nice collection of stuff but what set me off was the comment he made about his retirement. He basically said everything is the property of the museum but once he’s tired of running it he’ll put it up for auction and sell it to himself for 1$.

That struck me as really scammy for some reason…

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:toot:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

What I'm still confused about is one shot killing one and critically wounding another, unless it was a through-and-through. Also how the gently caress any kind of live ammo got on set and this not being an overpressured barrel obstruction / blank fired too close to person kind of deal.

Someone speculated the gun was being shot at the camera since the cinematographer was hit - shrapnel maybe?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works posted:

Brilliant negotiation tactic. "You're gonna either concede to our demands or listen to Fran talk for several hours, your choice"

I think we found the solution to the Manchin/Sinema problem...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Someone speculated the gun was being shot at the camera since the cinematographer was hit - shrapnel maybe?

If it was a plugged barrel prop but loaded with an actual shell I imagine that's gonna go badly for everyone downrange.

whatever you feel about Alec Baldwin I legit feel bad for the dude on this one, I seriously doubt any of this was intentional or directly his fault and it's probably gonna gently caress that dude up pretty bad. Note I feel even worse for the victims and their families ofc, but its lovely for everyone in this kinda deal :(

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That Works posted:

If it was a plugged barrel prop but loaded with an actual shell I imagine that's gonna go badly for everyone downrange.

whatever you feel about Alec Baldwin I legit feel bad for the dude on this one, I seriously doubt any of this was intentional or directly his fault and it's probably gonna gently caress that dude up pretty bad. Note I feel even worse for the victims and their families ofc, but its lovely for everyone in this kinda deal :(

Supposedly the director called for another shot of the scene and his response was "How about I shoot you instead!" and aimed the gun at them and pulled the trigger.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jesus christ what a total clusterfuck

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
On the one hand, the actor is not the person in charge of firearm safety on the set. On the other, Baldwin was a co-producer and holds a leadership role in the film production company reaponsible for hiring and overseeing safety folk.

Still waiting for something more concrete as there’s a lot of unsourced rumor stuff.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Supposedly the director called for another shot of the scene and his response was "How about I shoot you instead!" and aimed the gun at them and pulled the trigger.

JFC, do you have a source for this?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Not sure where else to post this, but I wrote this article several years ago about a US Army sergeant who sold nuclear weapons secrets to the Soviet Union back in the 50's. Long story short, the army sergeant in question was eventually convicted of espionage and was stabbed to death by his own son (Robert, aka Bobby, a Vietnam vet) during a visitation at the federal penitentiary in Lewisburg, PA. Bobby was convicted of the murder of this own dad, and finally let out of prison in 1983, and no one appears to know what happened to the son after that. I had pretty much forgotten all about it until I got an email back in late august saying that someone had commented on the article. And then yesterday, another comment by the same person:

I have no way of knowing if this person is legit or not, but it strikes me as a weird forgotten corner of the internet to do some trolling if it isn't. Not trying to toot my own horn but I figured that if what this person is saying is true, then I might as well give them what minimal exposure I can manage, though I imagine if Bobby wanted to be found he would probably have been so by now (assuming he's still alive).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pantslesswithwolves posted:

JFC, do you have a source for this?

Turns out it was a fake done up by trumper 4channers because Baldwin made fun of big daddy. I'm the rear end in a top hat for perpetuating it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This poo poo is never ending

"Our Mission — Follow the Science: Unmask the Kids" https://unmaskthekidsamerica.com/about

:cripes::ughh:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Any of you who were shocked re: my claims that law enforcement would EVER buy personal data for a third party instead of getting a warrant and successfully use it in an investigation, here's a new story:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93b...study-concludes

quote:

The report repeatedly cites Motherboard reporting showing how wireless companies have historically sold sensitive consumer location data to dubious third parties, often without user consent. This data has subsequently been abused from everyone from bounty hunters and stalkers to law enforcement and those posing as law enforcement.

The FTC was quick to note that because ISPs have access to the entirety of the data that flows across the internet and your home network, they often have access to even more data than what’s typically collected by large technology companies, ad networks, and app makers.

That includes the behavior of internet of things devices connected to your network, your daily movements, your online browsing history, clickstream data (not only which sites you visit but how much time you linger there), email and search data, race and ethnicity data, DNS records, your cable TV viewing habits, and more.

In some instances ISPs have even developed tracking systems that embed each packet a user sends over the internet with an individual identifier, allowing monitoring of user behavior in granular detail. Wireless carrier Verizon was fined $1.3 million in 2016 for implementing such a system without informing consumers or letting them opt out.

“Unlike traditional ad networks whose tracking consumers can block through browser or mobile device settings, consumers cannot use these tools to stop tracking by these ISPs, which use ‘supercookie’ technology to persistently track users,” the FTC report said.

On that subject here's a NY Times story from 2018 on LE purchase of personal data from third parties:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/technology/cellphone-tracking-law-enforcement.html

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/DeepDarkRock/status/1451555291045122052?t=wmMSVMej_zpvhPvFHFJBIw&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Wireless carrier Verizon was fined $1.3 million in 2016 for implementing such a system without informing consumers or letting them opt out

wow, $1.3 million for intrusive tracking and monitoring. that's probably maybe a penny per customer.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but I wrote this article several years ago about a US Army sergeant who sold nuclear weapons secrets to the Soviet Union back in the 50's. Long story short, the army sergeant in question was eventually convicted of espionage and was stabbed to death by his own son (Robert, aka Bobby, a Vietnam vet) during a visitation at the federal penitentiary in Lewisburg, PA. Bobby was convicted of the murder of this own dad, and finally let out of prison in 1983, and no one appears to know what happened to the son after that. I had pretty much forgotten all about it until I got an email back in late august saying that someone had commented on the article. And then yesterday, another comment by the same person:

I have no way of knowing if this person is legit or not, but it strikes me as a weird forgotten corner of the internet to do some trolling if it isn't. Not trying to toot my own horn but I figured that if what this person is saying is true, then I might as well give them what minimal exposure I can manage, though I imagine if Bobby wanted to be found he would probably have been so by now (assuming he's still alive).

This is totally awesome.

I would be thrilled for weeks if this happened to me.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1449860044590354436?t=zlHy49zXlGB0Z1MqDgHaNw&s=19

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1451585800328683544?t=SKmX_KYqpWRSi0l-qjzNVw&s=19

Dropping from ESPN to Ben Shapiro and being happy about it is a symptom of a truly impressive amount of brainworms.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If y'all didn't see, the SCOTUS granted cert before judgment in both the Mississippi abortion case and the appeal from the DoJ suit against Texas. Of particular note, they left in place the stay issued by the fifth circuit of the ruling that the Texas law was unconstitutional. Oral argument set for November 1.

Sotomayor concurs in part and dissents in part. Leaving the stay in place from the fifth seems to indicate they're going to say that the DoJ cannot sue and the district court cannot enjoin the state for SB8.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21a85_5h25.pdf

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sotomayor concurs in part and dissents in part. Leaving the stay in place from the fifth seems to indicate they're going to say that the DoJ cannot sue and the district court cannot enjoin the state for SB8.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21a85_5h25.pdf

I'm rapidly souring on the chances of the whole thing - it's pretty clear the supreme court is going to toss it on standing grounds, and if they don't, that circuit basically believes abortion is murder in all cases, even if the pregnancies are rape/incest-induced.

Strategic stupidity of "well shucks, we haven't seen this enforcement mechanism, let's wait a few years" while the conservative justices all appear with McConnell in "We're not political!" rallies. My vasectomy recovery is taking goddamn forever and I don't regret it a single bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

I'm rapidly souring on the chances of the whole thing - it's pretty clear the supreme court is going to toss it on standing grounds, and if they don't, that circuit basically believes abortion is murder in all cases, even if the pregnancies are rape/incest-induced.

Strategic stupidity of "well shucks, we haven't seen this enforcement mechanism, let's wait a few years" while the conservative justices all appear with McConnell in "We're not political!" rallies. My vasectomy recovery is taking goddamn forever and I don't regret it a single bit.

I don't want to be a doomer, but I believe that Roe is dead before the end of the year.

If they are going to rule in the DoJ and abortion providers' favor, why would they leave the fifth circuit stay in place? The only justification I can fathom is malice: to make it hurt as hard as possible for women before giving them a fig leaf, but if they are actively malicious in that way, there's no reason for them to leave Roe in place. Thus I return to the same conclusion.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't worry y'all, the legislative body will listen to the public and draft a bill legalizing abortion any minute now I'm sure

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Ben Shapiro is honestly a conservative powerhouse. He is about half of the most posted shared on Facebook stories every day. Everything is a step down from espn but on "working for a blog" level, Ben s is prob the highest profile tier there.

(We live in hell)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm sure another vagina hat march will solve this

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't want to be a doomer, but I believe that Roe is dead before the end of the year.

If they are going to rule in the DoJ and abortion providers' favor, why would they leave the fifth circuit stay in place? The only justification I can fathom is malice: to make it hurt as hard as possible for women before giving them a fig leaf, but if they are actively malicious in that way, there's no reason for them to leave Roe in place. Thus I return to the same conclusion.

Disagree - it's probably gone in March/April. The Mississippi case gets heard December 1st and they generally take a few months to toss around opinions before they get finalized. Doubtful they just chip away at it with Barrett on the court now - the conservative majority isn't even pretending to care about legal stuff anymore. Roberts will vote with the Democrats, 5-4.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Don't worry y'all, the legislative body will listen to the public and draft a bill legalizing abortion any minute now I'm sure

They did already, the Women's Health Protection Act passed the House in September, 218-211 (one D voted against it). It will die in the Senate because it doesn't have 50 - Manchin is pro-life and Collins/Murkowski are happy with just being "concerned".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mea culpa. I misread it as a consolidation of the miss and tx case. Instead its a consolidation of the two texas cases.