Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There was a huge explosion at a gunpowder factory in Lesnoy village earlier today, seems like at least 16 dead. Article in Russian but with some videos from the scene

https://www.mk.ru/incident/2021/10/22/vzryv-na-ryazanskom-zavode-glazami-sotrudnicy-vzryvchatku-razmeshivali-na-kolenke.html

Seems pretty bad. But they had a cool retro fire truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Lol who cares. Movies these days literally replace actors' entire bodies and faces with younger, hotter CGI versions as a matter of course. It's trivial to do the same with guns. There is no reason to ever be firing a weapon in the direction of a human on a movie set.

You aren’t supposed to point them at the other actors. Blanks can already cause injury at close range from muzzle blast. In Brandon Lee’s death, the actor likewise broke safety protocol and aimed directly at him. Professional jobs use digital effects with unloaded guns or flashpaper guns when they need to point a gun directly at another actor. I’ve worked on films with a $100,000 budget that followed these rules.

This isn’t a normal fuckup. This kind of incident is negligence of the highest degree. It’s up there with non-union crews dropping lights on people’s heads or amateur crane operators flipping the machines because they didn’t calculate the load correctly and went on gut instinct.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

But they had a cool retro fire truck

I do not think that in this scenario that truck is what we in the Western countries would qualify as "retro".

Because is it really retro if it never left the service to begin with?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mobby_6kl posted:

There was a huge explosion at a gunpowder factory in Lesnoy village earlier today, seems like at least 16 dead. Article in Russian but with some videos from the scene

https://www.mk.ru/incident/2021/10/22/vzryv-na-ryazanskom-zavode-glazami-sotrudnicy-vzryvchatku-razmeshivali-na-kolenke.html

Seems pretty bad. But they had a cool retro fire truck

Is this where they filmed the baseball bat scene in Inglorious Basterds?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is this where they filmed the baseball bat scene in Inglorious Basterds?

I doubt the film crew left Germany/France to film a small scene in the middle of Russia.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this is so god damned sad

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Slanderer posted:

what are chuds

I realise this is probably a joke post but just case it's not: Chud is a common term in online political discourse to refer to people who have an extremely right wing political agenda. Mostly men and mostly Americans. Is effectively synonymous with calling someone a "Trump Supporter".

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Rust situation seems similar to the person who got shot on the set of a music video a few years ago in Australia.

The inquest came out recently and revealed it was a modded sawn off that was never tested before use and wasn't even legally meant to be on set.

The blanks had been home made by an employee of the ammo shop, who had no actual qualifications to produce such ammunition, and thus illegally manufactured.

Part of the blank then turned into a projectile when fired.

They had an armourer who arranged the guns and ammo, but because of the "doing a favour" nature of the agreement it seems safety and checks were skipped over.
The armourer wasn't on set to observe, having been told the gun would be fired at the ceiling or not aimed at people and assuming all was fine.

This was left to the stunt coordinators, there for the harness stunt, to arrange the loading and use of the weapons.

And so tragedy struck.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

The industry term for this is a whoopsie doopsie

I know a couple of people who do theatre that insist on having the 'realism' of a real gun. They are both aware of Brandon Lee and are certain that they're smarter than that production crew.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nomad2020 posted:

I know a couple of people who do theatre that insist on having the 'realism' of a real gun. They are both aware of Brandon Lee and are certain that they're smarter than that production crew.

Penn and Teller shot each other every night and were fine. :colbert:

I don't know how the trick is done, but Penn has said that there is never a loaded gun at any point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nomad2020 posted:

I’ve done work with blank guns many times. The only time it was ever pointed directly at another person, even high school theatre, it was from a distance with a gun that had a completely blocked barrel and would just release smoke from a .22 Acorn blank around the cylinder gap. Looks and sounds real, absolutely no danger of anything coming out the front.

I once had a local fight coordinator criticize me for testing a blank gun to see if it was a top-fire barrel or only shot out the cylinder gap because I should “just know” which blank gun model did which.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ah gently caress me, thanks for the save.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Captain Fargle posted:

I realise this is probably a joke post but just case it's not: Chud is a common term in online political discourse to refer to people who have an extremely right wing political agenda. Mostly men and mostly Americans. Is effectively synonymous with calling someone a "Trump Supporter".

I think the OP is stating "what corridor are chuds".

All I know is one of them is a big Tesla fanboy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Uthor posted:

I don't know how the trick is done, but Penn has said that there is never a loaded gun at any point.

Penn has said that he doesn't believe in doing magic that makes the audience complicit or witness to an actual danger. I think the worst he's probably done was juggling real broken bottles, and he made sure to make it clear to the audience that they were real. He's a Libertarian but he does a lot of good things otherwise.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Uthor posted:

Despite the appearance of some of their tricks, Penn especially absolutely HATES any trick where the magician is putting themselves or others in danger.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Just going to repost this from another thread:

Mushika posted:

From someone who works in the industry, this [CGI gunfire on stage/set] would be a very good thing. There is no longer a need for dangerous sets with operating firearms.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

thanks for this, I've read up on this place a few times and it's fascinating, never seen video from inside of it.

oh man you gotta see Bloodsport

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I used to do WW2 reenacting and before every "battle" there would be a blanks inspection where you had to show the blanks you were using to make sure they weren't sketchy or otherwise obviously unsafe, and before the start everyone would line up and they'd have a safety talk about how dangerous blanks can be and how you needed to be at least 20 or so feet away from someone before you should consider firing rather than just shouting "BANG". One event I went to even took the extra step of shooting a gallon of water from a few feet away to demonstrate that blanks will easily rupture the bottle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Neito posted:

Despite the appearance of some of their tricks, Penn especially absolutely HATES any trick where the magician is putting themselves or others in danger.

Putting Conan in danger is perfectly fine though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIKOcCKFDME

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Getting Stalker just outside the starting village vibes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

I used to do WW2 reenacting and before every "battle" there would be a blanks inspection where you had to show the blanks you were using to make sure they weren't sketchy or otherwise obviously unsafe, and before the start everyone would line up and they'd have a safety talk about how dangerous blanks can be and how you needed to be at least 20 or so feet away from someone before you should consider firing rather than just shouting "BANG". One event I went to even took the extra step of shooting a gallon of water from a few feet away to demonstrate that blanks will easily rupture the bottle.

Yeah, in my experience from the armed service with training conscripts we do not give blanks (woodies or even waxheads) unless there is a reason for them. And if we do, the recoil adapter which also ensures that the pressure dissipates relatively safely and blocks the line of fire, goes to the top of the assault rifle before we dish out the ammo, and we test each and every one of them that they are secured properly.

And that adapter does not leave the end of the barrel before the gun is disassembled for the end-of-exercise maintenance, well after all is said and done, and the leftovers are collected back. And if it does, well let's say that 'you dear private, are now properly hosed".

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gushing about good CGI is fine but lots of people also like when they explain how or why bad CGI is bad, and how they would fix it.

that's (along with other VFX related things) what captain disillusion's channel is for, it's great

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
TRUCKFUCKLING, HO!

https://i.imgur.com/poCJE5W.mp4

For a sec I thought he'd make it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Scratch Monkey posted:

TRUCKFUCKLING, HO!

https://i.imgur.com/poCJE5W.mp4

For a sec I thought he'd make it

of course no seatbelts

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

of course no seatbelts

Don't attempt to tie down a truckfuckler.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7021894209653230853

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://twitter.com/RTVCes/status/1450769139245752322

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Dysgenesis posted:

I think the OP is stating "what corridor are chuds".

All I know is one of them is a big Tesla fanboy.

Not anymore, he got rear-ended by another car a couple of weeks ago and questioned why you have to do the time-intense removal of the entire roof to fix whatever damage is in the back of the car, and of course that brought out the usual pro-Elon mob on Twitter and obviously he's now a Tesla hater because he questioned one of Elon's glorious design decisions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mushika posted:

Just going to repost this from another thread:

I work in it too. There’s well-established protocols to prevent this from happening with blanks, every one of which were broken. The kind of negligence to make this happen is extreme and requires incredible failures at many levels to a criminal degree.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, apart from completely distorting the cinematography so that you're looking at the muzzle flash rather than the actor's face, it's great.

I am a big ol' fool about historic costuming. When a movie gets it ostentatiously wrong, I snark, but I also realize that the purpose of a movie costume is so that an actor can deliver a performance in it, not to make me coo "Oooh, they got the hat right!"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Word from insiders is that the director of photography who died was only running the camera herself because the entire camera crew walked off set and resigned the day before, after the weapons safety guy shot himself in the foot with the same gun and also they hadn't been paid for 3 weeks

C.M. Kruger posted:

Allegedly the propmaster shot himself in the foot the day before and that's part of what triggered the walk-off.
https://twitter.com/vidiot_/status/1451638994698178565

And they'd had other incidents before that:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

John Wick uses a lot of CGI because they’re shooting at extremely close range most of the time, so blanks would be really dangerous.

Blanks are like using any kind of potentially dangerous equipment anywhere. There’s decades of correct procedure for handling them without any problems. This kind of thing happening isn’t because of the equipment being too dangerous to use. It’s because the people involved did things that are criminally stupid with them.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Word from insiders is that the director of photography who died was only running the camera herself because the entire camera crew walked off set and resigned the day before, after the weapons safety guy shot himself in the foot with the same gun and also they hadn't been paid for 3 weeks

This is “forklift drivers racing with propane tanks strapped to the sides” kind of negligent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

chitoryu12 posted:

John Wick uses a lot of CGI because they’re shooting at extremely close range most of the time, so blanks would be really dangerous.

IIRC John Wick's directors are former stuntmen, so they take safety extremely seriously.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC John Wick's directors are former stuntmen, so they take safety extremely seriously.

And Keanu did a bunch of training before the movies too

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/98kcLct.mp4

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that mask is doing jack poo poo for that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles