Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Steadiman posted:

Keep in mind that a producer credit often doesn't mean much, it could just be granted for investing in the movie (or, with actors, waiving part of their fee). Not saying that was the case here, just that the actual producer job is more a financial function than a day-to-day/hiring person.

Exec producers are usually the ones that are just getting a credit for being the money men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I actually do trust steadiman for info on how movies are made considering their work experience.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
People on twitter are being very normal about not getting overly opinionated in the tragic story

They're showing a lot of tact in not suddenly googling the person who was killed and pretending like they always loved her and had something ripped away from them personally by Alec Baldwin

They're also not angrily demanding the people posting the extremely sad photo of Baldwin heaving after the shooting post photos of the dead woman instead, because for some reason one of the photos needs to be blasted everywhere

Twitter's handling this really well

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Twitter's handling this really well

That means there's another story somewhere that's being handled particularly badly.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Samovar posted:

Rich failchildren become journalists in the U.K., fyi.

Chiles has his Guardian gig through loving the editor of the paper, not through nepotism.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Skwirl posted:

Exec producers are usually the ones that are just getting a credit for being the money men.
Producer is an easier credit to give away since executive producer actually carries a specific duty (acquiring funding or making large investments into the production itself) whereas producer is a really nebulous function at best. It can be a position of responsibility or just an empty suit and doesn't require a high price tag to get. But yeah, they're both positions you can buy into. But neither carry a lot of on-set responsibility if they don't want to. The closest directly responsible person here would be the line producer, for instance. But there's a whole chain of people involved in events leading up to this.

Again, just saying that Alec being credited as a producer doesn't have to mean he actually "produced" anything at all. Maybe he did have a deep involvement but all that will come out soon enough and in that case I hope he gets fully held responsible. Sorry if I'm being a bit rambly but I knew Halyna so today has been a bit of a weird one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Steadiman posted:

Sorry if I'm being a bit rambly but I knew Halyna so today has been a bit of a weird one.

Oh poo poo, that sucks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
It's just loving gross, because it's conservatives that hate Alec Baldwin (news flash, most liberals hate him too) using this as a "HAHAHA EAT poo poo, BALDWIN".

Like....I know, I know, Dril and the "you do not, in fact, have to 'hand it to them'" tweet,...but I was shocked to see this classy response from Crowder.

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/1451594610208382981

But then you see poo poo like this:
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1451549428754563076

...Why would they? He isn't their employee, and he didn't shoot someone while filming SNL. Does SNL make statements anytime anyone that has ever appeared on their show commits a crime?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They let trump host after he committed god knows how many crimes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

But then you see poo poo like this:
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1451549428754563076

...Why would they? He isn't their employee, and he didn't shoot someone while filming SNL. Does SNL make statements anytime anyone that has ever appeared on their show commits a crime?

I'd be slightly surprised if this isn't mentioned during Weekend Update. If it had happened on Monday it definitely would be mentioned.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, I imagine it could be mentioned in Weekend Update or a skit or something. But I think ol' Jack here is demanding a "let's get serious and talk to the audience for a bit" segment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, I imagine it could be mentioned in Weekend Update or a skit or something. But I think ol' Jack here is demanding a "let's get serious and talk to the audience for a bit" segment.

Has SNL ever done that in their history? I agree with the idea they don't have an obligation to do that and I really hope they don't because they would do it wrong. I don't even know what they would say? "Hey, this guy that used to work for us on a freelance basis but hasn't in almost a year was involved in a tragic accident that he may or may not have some sort of culpability in, we don't know. And we feel bad about that and won't hire him again to play a character we probably wouldn't use in any sketches for at least 2 and a half years."

Like, even if Alec Baldwin is completely and totally at fault, we aren't gonna find that out before 11 pm Eastern tomorrow.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Steadiman posted:

Keep in mind that a producer credit often doesn't mean much, it could just be granted for investing in the movie (or, with actors, waiving part of their fee). Not saying that was the case here, just that the actual producer job is more a financial function than a day-to-day/hiring person.

Actually they generally reserve "Executive Producer" credits for people who are judged valuable towards getting a movie made. This is usually through the amount of pull they have in the business or the contacts that they have that end up being important. Producers actually do work, so if Baldwin was a Producer and not an Executive Producer he was probably more involved in the making of the movie.

edit: He's still not at fault for this accident. I feel really bad for him.

Why would they mention this on SNL? It's a comedy show and there's no joke to be made here. :confused:

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Oct 22, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm happy to see that everybody is being adults about the accident itt, keep it up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No joke to be made has never stopped SNL before

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Philippe posted:

I'm happy to see that everybody is being adults about the accident itt, keep it up

Involuntary Manslaughter at best, yeah. But watch nobody get charged.

EDIT: The story being that somebody wanted to do another take and Baldwin actually said "How about I just shoot both of you instead" and fired at them definitely isn't a good look, I don't give a drat how much "It's supposed to be a prop gun!" or "It was supposed to be loaded with blanks!" arguments are made. That poo poo hasn't been "safe" since at least as far back as the 1980s, and commonly known as not being safe without some kind of protection between the person firing and the person they're firing at, and Alec Baldwin in particular should have loving known better, given how long he's been acting.

Some Pinko Commie has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Oct 22, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why would SNL start being funny now?

also it's not like he's some stranger to the show, he's one of (if not the) most frequent host and has appeared several times just for funsies. He's friends with the show's creator and most influential person and also happens to be the focus of what is probably the biggest news story of the week.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's friends with the show's creator and most influential person and also happens to be the focus of what is probably the biggest news story of the week.

Nah, I see Steven Bannon being a bigger story, at least when it comes to SNL. Or a sketch about Brian Laundrie's parents.

The thing I saw said that Baldwin was waving the gun around while ranting about Trump, but I've only seen chuds passing that around, so I'd take it with an entire salt shaker.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Oct 22, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

EDIT: The story being that somebody wanted to do another take and Baldwin actually said "How about I just shoot both of you instead" and fired at them definitely isn't a good look, I don't give a drat how much "It's supposed to be a prop gun!" or "It was supposed to be loaded with blanks!" arguments are made. That poo poo hasn't been "safe" since at least as far back as the 1980s, and commonly known as not being safe without some kind of protection between the person firing and the person they're firing at, and Alec Baldwin in particular should have loving known better, given how long he's been acting.

The one website that had that story took it down, so I doubt it's true.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm just confused why sets have to use real guns

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've posted it elsewhere and I'll post it here:

There is no reason to use real guns on stage or set in this day and age. As someone who works in the industry, whether the fault lies on the propsmaster or the producer, the fact is that there is solidly no reason to endanger people's lives in the age of excellent CGI or propsmastery.

e: and teach your loving actors how to pretend to shoot a gun, for christsakes

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Productions use real guns because it's cheaper

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Apparently the crew walked out right before the shooting, via reports that have news play.

So that’s not good

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Productions use real guns because it's cheaper

A lot cheaper than a scab and a dead Director and Cinematographer? I guess, sure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There were troubles on-set before the shooting (thread)
https://twitter.com/venice4change/status/1451472741664649217

The camera crew had walked off that very day because of, among other things, poor gun safety
https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...impression=true

There was a long angry post by an IATSE (below-the-line union) member about just why they don't need guns on set.

https://twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1451341417092108292

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Mushika posted:

I've posted it elsewhere and I'll post it here:

There is no reason to use real guns on stage or set in this day and age. As someone who works in the industry, whether the fault lies on the propsmaster or the producer, the fact is that there is solidly no reason to endanger people's lives in the age of excellent CGI or propsmastery.

e: and teach your loving actors how to pretend to shoot a gun, for christsakes
Couldn't agree more with this. I've refused to do shots where the prop gun was aimed at the camera, and been threatened with being fired over it, but I value my life more than I value a movie. An AfterFX subsciption and some gunfire stock footage is cheaper than a gun.

Also, to add some more information about the whole event, I learned the entire camera department walked off the show before it all went horribly wrong. The reasons were plentiful, unsafe work conditions (explicitly citing bad gun safety and lack of safety meetings before things like stunts or weapon fire) were among the top ones but there was a lot of other stuff too that led to this decision.

Bear in mind this was just the majority of the camera department that walked (except for the B-camera operator apparently), not sure if anyone else on the crew walked. There had been misfires before with the prop guns too. Also note that when they speak of a "live" round on a film set, they're not neccesarily talking about a bullet. A blank in the weapon is also seen as a live round. Don't really know where else to post this so here you go.

edit: well beaten with links, but I'll leave the post

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never used a proper modern blank but I worked using black powder weapons as a kid, with a bunch of other college kids, and we managed to not muzzle sweep people. An accidental shot still sends flaming hot smoke at someone's face that prolly won't kill you but is absolutely not a good time. This sounds like a cartoonish breach of basic safety.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steadiman, did you used to have a blog, or did I just read a thread of yours? I remember it being really entertaining and informative.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Apologies for double-post. There is always more, and it's always worse. There was a live round in the gun.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7021908652202265862

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Apologies for double-post. There is always more, and it's always worse. There was a live round in the gun.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7021908652202265862

Was it like an actual live round "live round" or what Steadiman was saying in their post above where blanks are also considered live rounds?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know for poo poo, but the LA Times posted an article saying "live round" can refer to blank cartridges. Basically anything with gun powder in it that makes a large bang.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Well, in the very short video just posted, the dude up there says that it was a real bullet that went through the plexiglass plate that was in place to protect the crew from the hot gasses and wadding that would have come from discharging a blank cartridge.

If the dude is not just some rando, sounds like it was a massive fuckup.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There was a tweet (now deleted) saying that the guy in charge of guns had actually shot himself in the foot the day before. And no, he was not an armorer.

e: The guy in the TikTok is Michael Corrie, an amateur prop-maker and collector who went pro as a prop builder. He might have the connections to have on-set knowledge, it could be random person-to-person gossip, which I'm sure is flying.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Oct 22, 2021

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
That guy in the video says it was a "full power" live round that "somehow made it on set" and penetrated through protective plexiglass. I don't think wadding from a blank would be likely to do that. But also this is some dude that wasn't there making a video so who knows.

What a loving poo poo show. I work in a construction related field and that is also an industry filled with dangerous equipment and brutally long work days and what a shock, people get hurt and killed all the goddamned time. Long work hours just need to be completely banned. There is very little in this world that is so important that it requires more than 8 hours of labor a day and making movies is about the lowest thing on that list

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You should see what's going on over in Qatar then. Last I heard something like 5.5k people died over the last few years doing construction for the world cup.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

One piece of good news:

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1451552512062930945

It's unblocked. :unsmith:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I just did a skim of New Mexico criminal codes and that's probably the most he could get but let's face it, that's a long shot. While that meets the test for involuntary manslaughter §30-2-3.b via §30-7-4.a.2/3 Negligent Use of a Deadly Weapon, even a prop gun firing blanks reasonably falling under §30-7-1.C.3

However, it all depends on how the DA chooses to proceed, which is probably pleading out after which Baldwin settles out of court in the inevitable and goddamn well-earned civil suit

Of course, this all depends on which of any number of scenarios actually played out. Of course I could be extremely wrong. IANAL and also I am not a lawyer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving lol at the idea that there's gonna be any negative consequences for Baldwin beyond the movie getting delayed or possibly canceled.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I mean until someone proves he did something that led to that gun being unsafe, good? I don't know why we're already getting upset he's not in solitary when it could've been 8 other assholes' faults.

Like I certainly don't have to or want to hand it to him but it sounds like he was also complaining about on set conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

From Masterclass.com
Monitor prop use for safety. Once all the props are ready to be on set, the props master supervises all prop use to make sure props aren’t broken. This includes making sure actors are using the hand props (any props handled by actors) safely, and that set props (props that are part of the set) hold up during takes. This even includes handling any firearms or testing any fake drugs that will be used in the production, to make sure they won’t harm the actors.

This lines up with what I've heard from other people about the film. The prop master is the final authority on safety WRT handling props in film. Not a lawyer but I can easily see them being charged rather than Baldwin.