Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

I loathe Esper Sentinel

Do you pay the 1? should not be a question asked regularly in competitive Magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I honestly think Hammer can stomp burn. They have to push removal at your creatures and you can just out-survive them with a single Urza's Saga making constructs, then getting a Shadowspear.

UW is so good and so popular right now, and interaction is just increased everywhere. Everyone finally realized the Elementals are busto and so now there's 4 Fury and 4 Solitude in every deck that can run them.

Completely disagree about the burn matchup. Yes, hammer can sometimes kill them quickly but in all the other games they always have targets for blaze and they have a million ways to deal with shadowspear after G1 and it's usually too slow if they have a good draw G1. Burn has SO MANY good SB cards for hammer too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Completely disagree about the burn matchup. Yes, hammer can sometimes kill them quickly but in all the other games they always have targets for blaze and they have a million ways to deal with shadowspear after G1 and it's usually too slow if they have a good draw G1. Burn has SO MANY good SB cards for hammer too.

I don't think it's about killing them quickly at all, it's about sticking a single Shadowspear to a single creature. They have 3ish Shatter effects that cost 2 mana each, and you can force their hand to worry about a hammer (that they can't attack through or burn out otherwise) for their first one usually. It's just so easy to eventually stick a Shadowspear on something, or just play one of your 4 En-Vecs and win with that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They have so many ways to prevent you from hitting with the shadowspear after G1 though. Skullcrack, Smash, Vortex, Path, Palm is like their whole SB and Shadowspear is usually too slow for G1. I've played the matchup from both sides and I really think burn is a solid favorite.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They have so many ways to prevent you from hitting with the shadowspear after G1 though. Skullcrack, Smash, Vortex, Path, Palm is like their whole SB and Shadowspear is usually too slow for G1. I've played the matchup from both sides and I really think burn is a solid favorite.

:iiam:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fwiw, the two dudes I know who play hammer are also split on if burn is or is not a favorable matchup.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nah, white doing taxing is good and this is just an exploration of that space

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yea Esper Sentinel Kicks rear end. I love the trend of playable White Stax effects coming more frequently.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes it absolutely should.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I love more decisions in Magic, I love little incidental effects that require decisions and a cost/benefit calculation

....when I cause them for my opponent

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Won our AFR draft tourney with a mono red goblin deck that everyone hated/was legit impressed I pulled off. :toot:
I totally would have only taken second but my buddy who won the last draft got mana flooded//hosed after beating me solidly if not absolutely whooping me with his blue/green/black Volo and friends deck in our earlier matchup.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with the card's existence, but trying to not die on turn 2 or 3 while being taxed is... taxing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The tax is optional. Burn a kill spell and let it cycle.
Or play creatures.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

nudejedi posted:

Won our AFR draft tourney with a mono red goblin deck that everyone hated/was legit impressed I pulled off. :toot:
I totally would have only taken second but my buddy who won the last draft got mana flooded//hosed after beating me solidly if not absolutely whooping me with his blue/green/black Volo and friends deck in our earlier matchup.

Potential mana problems are a cost of building a deck with more colors, especially in a draft format.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Or play creatures.

Utterly ridiculous

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

HootTheOwl posted:

Or play creatures.

Only been playing a couple years. Can anyone explain what this means?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If your opponent has an Esper Sentinel you have to pay mana equal to its power (1/1) when you cast a non creature spell otherwise your opponent gets to draw a card. If you’re casting a creature spell you don’t get taxed.

Eej posted:

I don't think they actually needed an explanation, OP

This is what I get when I try to be nice

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 22, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think they actually needed an explanation, OP

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

So there's these two red enchantments in modern: DRC and ragavan, but like here's the deal: they accidentally printed them with a power and a toughness so most judges say you can attack with them. They're pretty strong.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oops, not all spells!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I'm going to my first LGS event in like... 20 years tonight, and my second irl draft ever I think? What's the general etiquette for drafts? Should I bring sleeves and lands? How early should I show up?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

LeafHouse posted:

If your opponent has an Esper Sentinel you have to pay mana equal to its power (1/1) when you cast a non creature spell otherwise your opponent gets to draw a card. If you’re casting a creature spell you don’t get taxed.

This is what I get when I try to be nice

lmao god bless you

HootTheOwl posted:

So there's these two red enchantments in modern: DRC and ragavan, but like here's the deal: they accidentally printed them with a power and a toughness so most judges say you can attack with them. They're pretty strong.

:hmmyes:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So I'm going to my first LGS event in like... 20 years tonight, and my second irl draft ever I think? What's the general etiquette for drafts? Should I bring sleeves and lands? How early should I show up?

There will be a land station but it’s a good idea to bring some anyway. Sleeves are absolutely a good idea. Don’t touch your deck or do anything at all until you determine who goes first. It’s not a big deal if you break these rules, but you’re not supposed to talk about what’s in your packs and you’re not supposed to look at your next set of cards until everyone has some to look at iirc. I think you have to announce when you open and take a DFC.

If you’re playing in paper for the first time in a while I really recommend communicating what phase you’re doing stuff in before you do it.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 22, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

There will be a land station but it’s a good idea to bring some anyway. Sleeves are absolutely a good idea. Don’t touch your deck or do anything at all until you determine who goes first. It’s not a big deal if you break these rules, but you’re not supposed to talk about what’s in your packs and you’re not supposed to look at your next set of cards until everyone has some to look at iirc.

If you’re playing in paper for the first time in a while I really recommend communicating what phase you’re doing stuff in before you do it.

Yeah it's my first time playing paper in... quite a while. I've done a bunch of MID drafts on Arena so I'm very familiar with the set at least, but I know it's gonna be a slightly different experience doing it irl.

EDIT: Just saw your edit... DFC is double faced card right? Like the werewolves and spirits?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Basics will be provided. I recommend some sort of sleeve so you don't instantly incinerate any value the bomb rare you picked pack one has.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

EDIT: Just saw your edit... DFC is double faced card right? Like the werewolves and spirits?
Yes. Packs should include a checklist card for them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cool thanks! I was gonna load up an old deckbox with some basic lands just to be on the safe side.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah it's my first time playing paper in... quite a while. I've done a bunch of MID drafts on Arena so I'm very familiar with the set at least, but I know it's gonna be a slightly different experience doing it irl.

Yep, it’s just a logistical thing. Everyone can see that it’s in the pack obviously so to not reward people for being sneaky to hide when it was opened/picked it’s just public info if you’re playing in paper iirc.

I’ve been playing paper for years and I still start every turn with “good to untap? Okay untap, upkeep, draw…” it keeps things clear and makes it way less likely you’ll miss a trigger or something.

Also, don’t use dice to keep track of life (use a keypad or an app on your phone or something, and I’d recommend tracking your opponents as well), and if you have token creators in your deck try to track the tokens down (the store might sell them to you for pretty cheap) or create some using scrap paper stuck in a sleeve. Dice being used as tokens is the most annoying poo poo imo.

Paper magic owns and is the absolute best way to play imo. I hope you have fun!

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 22, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Yep, it’s just a logistical thing. Everyone can see that it’s in the pack obviously so to not reward people for being sneaky to hide when it was opened/picked it’s just public info if you’re playing in paper iirc.

I’ve been playing paper for years and I still start every turn with “good to untap? Okay untap, upkeep, draw…” it keeps things clear and makes it way less likely you’ll miss a trigger or something.

Also, don’t use dice to keep track of life (use a keypad or an app on your phone or something, and I’d recommend tracking your opponents as well), and if you have token creators in your deck try to track the tokens down (the store might sell them to you for pretty cheap) or create some using scrap paper stuck in a sleeve. Dice being used as tokens is the most annoying poo poo imo.

Paper magic owns and is the absolute best way to play imo. I hope you have fun!

Thanks I'm really looking forward to it! I downloaded the magic companion app which seems to have life tracking, will that be good?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thanks I'm really looking forward to it! I downloaded the magic companion app which seems to have life tracking, will that be good?

I've never used it for life but it's used for checking in for official events (like FNM drafts and stuff) so it's good to have anyway.

Being able to take notes down if your opponent reveals their hands or if a card requires naming/picking something (I can't remember right now if MID has anything like that) makes using a notebook pretty valuable tho imo

EDIT: LOL I was going to write something about how some MtG players are insane and lose their poo poo if you offer a handshake after winning so I was going to caution against doing that but then I remembered the big global pandemic basically eliminated that problem smile

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 22, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

bring sleeves and a playmat and dice if you have those.

there's an app called Carbon that I use rather than the Companion App

no one seems to freak out at my LGS for a handshake/fistbump

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
A notepad also has a history of life totals which can be helpful to reconstruct events if there's ever some confusion. The life tracker apps look pretty but you will have to pry my small spiral bound notebook and pen from my dead hands.

I also like to write down my opponents name so I can thank them by name for the game at the end or just chat with them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aranan posted:

A notepad also has a history of life totals which can be helpful to reconstruct events if there's ever some confusion. The life tracker apps look pretty but you will have to pry my small spiral bound notebook and pen from my dead hands.

I also like to write down my opponents name so I can thank them by name for the game at the end or just chat with them.

Same. I started using some Steno pads I got in a twelve pack from Amazon for like $20 and never looked back. There's a lot of value in just being able to write poo poo down on demand.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cool I’ll definitely bring a notepad too. Again, thanks for the tips everyone! I’ll give a trip report later. I’ve been to this particular LGS a couple times and everyone there seemed super nice, it seems like a fairly relaxed atmosphere

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1451642258906697729?s=20

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Cool I’ll definitely bring a notepad too. Again, thanks for the tips everyone! I’ll give a trip report later. I’ve been to this particular LGS a couple times and everyone there seemed super nice, it seems like a fairly relaxed atmosphere

🙏

Odric is Rick folks.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 22, 2021

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Old rick

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Odd Rick

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

Same. I started using some Steno pads I got in a twelve pack from Amazon for like $20 and never looked back. There's a lot of value in just being able to write poo poo down on demand.

You can get an e-ink notepad for like $3 on amazon, they're great for tracking everything during a game.