Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

dr_rat posted:

I mean leaving aside social sciences not being sciences, interested to know what you would consider hard sci-fi if your not including the mars trilogy.

Social sciences are sciences...they're the "soft sciences", hence "soft sci-fi". Off the top of my head, Three Body Problem? Tau Zero? Stephen Baxter's Xeelee and Manifold series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Trek is like trecking, a long walk

The Trek in Star Trek means journey

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Boner M posted:

Hence the Enterprise theme song. If you have Faith of the Heart, you Don't Stop Believing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

so i think i just realized that klingons never utter a single bad phrase about vulcans and dont even mention them on-screen, ever

cowards

I will direct you to the DS9’s baseball episode with Worf’s cry for death to the opposition

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Gatts posted:

I will direct you to the DS9’s baseball episode with Worf’s cry for death to the opposition

oh ya

honestly im pleased to be wrong

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Perhaps the REAL hard sci-fi is the friends we made along the way.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
That was just his human upbringing coming out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

But they were all imaginary :(

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gatts posted:

The worst ds9 episode ever.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GolfHole posted:

"Two hundred and forty years ago, near H'Atoria, a Vulcan ship crossed into Klingon space. The Klingons attacked immediately. They destroyed the vessel. Vulcans don't make the same mistake twice. From then on, until formal relations were established, whenever the Vulcans crossed paths with Klingons, the Vulcans fired first. They said ‘hello’ in a language the Klingons understood. Violence brought respect. Respect brought peace. Captain, we have to give the Klingons a Vulcan ‘hello’."

lmao

That's pretty baller.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

:mods:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's the only one I couldn't finish. Baseball is just sooooo loving boring that even having it in space with funny aliens couldn't fix it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's bait

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Find him and kill him!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burning_Monk posted:

I put it in quotes for a reason. Star Trek is generally grounded in known scientific knowledge and having an alien race that can replicate itself in a second with no matter or energy needed is Looney Tunes not Star Trek.

They draw the energy and matter from the mycelial network.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mossyfisk posted:

Your story isn't hard sci-fi unless the appendix looks like this, sorry

BRB gotta sell this to Rick Berman for a Voyager script.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Take Me Out To The Holosuite - If there is anything in the universe more boring than baseball i've never seen it. Even adding aliens it's not enjoyable. :siren:

Peanut President - You pay the price for baseball!

Edit: I don't want to probe the same post twice so, you get away with just knowing that you picked awfully!

Nope, hated it from the start. I did go back later and kind of scan through it so I saw some funny bits here and there.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

🎣

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuCV6Is72mc

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Look Julian! The hard sci-fi is my cock!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The best part of starfleet is showing those uptight vulcans whos boss which is why enterprise kinda low key rules

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GolfHole posted:

"Two hundred and forty years ago, near H'Atoria, a Vulcan ship crossed into Klingon space. The Klingons attacked immediately. They destroyed the vessel. Vulcans don't make the same mistake twice. From then on, until formal relations were established, whenever the Vulcans crossed paths with Klingons, the Vulcans fired first. They said ‘hello’ in a language the Klingons understood. Violence brought respect. Respect brought peace. Captain, we have to give the Klingons a Vulcan ‘hello’."

lmao

What's this from because god drat it owns

E: oh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I see foul lines, an infield, an outfield. Now that's a Fancy Dan.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Danaru posted:

What's this from because god drat it owns

E: oh

:distonk:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Christ posted:

The best part of starfleet is showing those uptight vulcans whos boss which is why enterprise kinda low key rules

Honestly the best joke in that entire show was when Archer complained about that other Vulcan ship shadowing them by saying the captain is "the kind of guy who likes to watch"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I just started to actually watch Enterprise from S1 since earlier I have only seen episodes here and there.

On the first 10 or so episodes yeah, "Americans going to business trip to EU and Asia" is actually quite close. :D

...Although I still find it a bit stupid plot hole that in the episode "Dear Doctor" the Valakians are desperate for Humans to give them warp-capable ship to find more help. They had already met the Ferengi, why didn't they sell them some POS warp 3 trash hauler for mining rights?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I just started to actually watch Enterprise from S1 since earlier I have only seen episodes here and there.

On the first 10 or so episodes yeah, "Americans going to business trip to EU and Asia" is actually quite close. :D

...Although I still find it a bit stupid plot hole that in the episode "Dear Doctor" the Valakians are desperate for Humans to give them warp-capable ship to find more help. They had already met the Ferengi, why didn't they sell them some POS warp 3 trash hauler for mining rights?

Probably no latinum.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Probably no latinum.

But they'd get something better than latinum. A debt.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dead folks cant pay debts, theres no guarantee they'll find anyone to help them. Odds are better that some klingon ship will gank them then you're out a ship and the debt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's possible that they had nothing worth trading for even a lovely ship. not every planet has valuable resources, and even the population was worthless what with all the dying.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, besides the other sentient race being very suitable for staffing mining colonies and stuff like that. But that is very grimdark stuff so it didn't fly at that time. Disco probably makes setting up a slave mining colony an episode. It is done for a Reason.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

GolfHole posted:

so i think i just realized that klingons never utter a single bad phrase about vulcans and dont even mention them on-screen, ever

cowards

woah

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Boner M posted:

star trek = skywalker :smuggo:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Vulcan ship designs are super cool imo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I guess the Vulcan Hello worked extremely well then

Yes, and judging by the Lower Decks and Enterprise, the Vulcan Fleet before and even with the Starfleet clowns them in combat. And Vulcans aren't even doing that as a priority.

So yeah, go yell your obscenities to someone else's backyard your miserable luj'nuv or we will slap you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

External Organs posted:

Vulcan ship designs are super cool imo.

For real Vulcans have such awesome ships and we NEVER get to see them

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

GolfHole posted:

cowards

Time to do a Trek-del test. Two aliens talking and the subject of the discussion is not a human or humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

GolfHole posted:

oh ya

honestly im pleased to be wrong

Also the very first appearance of Klingons (Errand of Mercy) has Kor and the other Klingons refer to Spock as “the Vulcan” although they never really disparage them except to say they are enemy aliens since they’re part of the Federation.