Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vagabong posted:

I can get being cool with Dave's society if you ignore the blurbs and breeze over his scenes, but peoples ability to overlook him merking hundreds of people with Ki Rata purely for his own ego in one of the goriest acts of the comic will always suprise me.

They almost had him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people are way more dependent on their environment being just so to work than fission is, if multiversal physics were that wacky it'd probably have been a very short, gruesome comic as Allison abruptly teleports into a universe where the weak nuclear force is compassion and air is regret

everything works pretty much the same across the multiverse, from physics to people, but we don't have an easily monopolized magical power that gives the aristocracy everything they want without having to cut anyone else in. If Bill Gates could manifest a private jet out of thin air just by thinking hard about his money, p sure inventing internal combustion would be punishable by death here too

You don't understand what I'm saying. Abaddon has specifically said in response to the technology question that basically all technology fails in the Void anyway (you know, the thing that facilitates multiversal travel) because they rely on their own universe's physical laws to function while the only thing that functions in the Void is the soul flame, which is what the true body and soul is.

The soul flame is the only thing that remains constant. If you take a human from our world to one where weak nuclear force is compassion and air is regret they won't explode spontaneously because the only constant is their black soul flame, which imposes that "I am a human being and this is how I function" onto the world. Thus, they will remain a human being because magic and souls literally are imposing your will onto reality no matter how much it bitches otherwise.

On the other hand, your fancy internal combustion engine car cannot say "gently caress you I exist anyway" because it's not alive, meaning just bringing it into the Void (the prerequisite to going to another universe) means it disappears into the ether.

Abaddon has also said that some demiurges do repress tech but at the same time they wouldn't really care, because they can say "gently caress you" to that anyway. Jadis's is explicitly rules by a technocratic religious government even.

EDIT: https://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/post/151384870885/would-a-piece-of-high-technology-instantly-stop

quote:

Q: Would a piece of high technology instantly stop working in the void, or is it a process that takes time? Would... oh, let's say a bunch of explosives forming a shaped charge around several material lenses designed to focus a shockwave onto a large mass of uranium... be able to work if it went off a millisecond after arriving?

A: It’s a breakdown over time. You could bring a laptop into the Void and it would work pretty fine for a day or so!

https://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/post/151566662935/if-non-living-things-decay-in-the-void-wouldnt

quote:

Q: If non-living things decay in the void, wouldn't people's clothes eventually fall apart? Sexy side stories ahoy!

A: Well yes, but by that point, people probably have as well. Without a very strong sense of self people quickly become mindless shades in the void, and then disperse into flame.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 22, 2021

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

When Mottom invaded an earth with nukes, she just turned the blast wave into a shower of rose petals or something. There's nothing more real than that kind of power.

Hahaha What the gently caress is an Atom My Preem. All Life is Fundamentally Flame. Just Divide Creation. Just Walk Away.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people are way more dependent on their environment being just so to work than fission is, if multiversal physics were that wacky it'd probably have been a very short, gruesome comic as Allison abruptly teleports into a universe where the weak nuclear force is compassion and air is regret

everything works pretty much the same across the multiverse, from physics to people, but we don't have an easily monopolized magical power that gives the aristocracy everything they want without having to cut anyone else in. If Bill Gates could manifest a private jet out of thin air just by thinking hard about his money, p sure inventing internal combustion would be punishable by death here too

Yeah, you're making a big assumption here: That physics is more fundamental than Atum, the Soul Flame which is the essence of all things.

Hell, physicalism is explicitly untrue in this setting. There is a human soul, it can exist apart from a body for a while, and if you're an expert in the Art then you can mold raw reality to create matter and redefine it. Your body is a tool, your soul is you, and the properties of the soul flame are far more important to real cosmic power than any industrial base (as we see in Jagganoth, who could personally kill Earth single-handedly without any regard for any technology we've rolled out. Guns are explicitly a niche weapon because you need to learn special magic to put your soul-energy in them so the bullets can't just be vanished with the Art... and Mottom could still vanish your bullets.)

Magic is not an exception to these universes. Magic is the real deal. Technology, material technology, is as likely to run on what seems magical to us as anything else, and that will work in every universe 100% guaranteed.

Anyways the reason people are hauling blocks by hand in the scene with the Ring of Power is pretty obviously less because of luddism on Dave's part and more because his military bureaucracy is obsessed with him and being like him. He explicitly showed up and told them 'hey, stop overworking yourselves... I'll just move the block single-handedly myself.' Completely ignoring that the lesson he just taught them is not 'moderation and deference to my rightful authority' but 'I need to overwork myself into the grave while not looking like I'm doing that if I want to live up to the example of Big Imperial Dad.' It's completely hosed but it's not some tech nerd wank about how the terrifying god-tyrants are afraid of construction cranes, it's just more of Solomon David's fundamental problem of trying to run an entire society by being the Perfect Distant Authoritarian Dad, while insisting that if he didn't have such an important job he would definitely play catch with whichever son is worthy of it (none of them).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's even more insidious than that, because he's not just saying he would play catch with you if he wasn't so busy, he's saying he's very busy, but he will play catch with you if you work hard enough. Which is kind of like a dad telling his 6 year olds he'll take them to McDonald's if they beat him at basketball.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
a guess of the economics of the k6bd universe: the real limiting factor is not land, labour, or capital, but instead cultivated souls. The returns to enlightenment are so steep that it's far better to subordinate, subsume, or otherwise control partially enlightened souls than it is to conquer another world of billions of mundanes or fantastic material wealth. This is why worlds beyond the frontier like Allison's (i.e. ours) exist at all, and also why bureaucratic power is held in the form of guilds with rigid seniority and hierarchies: anyone with any 'real' power and the ambition to use it goes to jockey with other people up the ladder.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

girl dick energy posted:

It's even more insidious than that, because he's not just saying he would play catch with you if he wasn't so busy, he's saying he's very busy, but he will play catch with you if you work hard enough. Which is kind of like a dad telling his 6 year olds he'll take them to McDonald's if they beat him at basketball.

Yeah. The thing is, I don't think Solomon Dave is forcing anyone to build a colossal stone structure with their bare hands--and that's almost worse. They're all out there voluntarily breaking their bodies in the hope that Dave-senpai will notice them. Sure some smart guy could come in and build a big fuckoff crane, but that would be a sign of weakness. Nobody wants to give up the chance to look more hardcore than the next guy.

Which is a completely pointless endeavor, because inevitably Solomon Dave will decide that the correct display of enlightenment is something else. He impassively watches his subjects grind themselves into dust trying to emulate and impress him not because he hopes they will succeed in following his example but because he knows they will fail.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skaianDestiny posted:

You don't understand what I'm saying. Abaddon has specifically said in response to the technology question that basically all technology fails in the Void anyway (you know, the thing that facilitates multiversal travel) because they rely on their own universe's physical laws to function while the only thing that functions in the Void is the soul flame, which is what the true body and soul is.

The soul flame is the only thing that remains constant. If you take a human from our world to one where weak nuclear force is compassion and air is regret they won't explode spontaneously because the only constant is their black soul flame, which imposes that "I am a human being and this is how I function" onto the world. Thus, they will remain a human being because magic and souls literally are imposing your will onto reality no matter how much it bitches otherwise.

On the other hand, your fancy internal combustion engine car cannot say "gently caress you I exist anyway" because it's not alive, meaning just bringing it into the Void (the prerequisite to going to another universe) means it disappears into the ether.

It disappears in the void but it lasts a little while if you move it between gates fast enough. Spirit flame and ego are the basic fundamental truth of the universe while physics and everything are the excuses laid on top of it, but I don't think atoms and the basics of mechanics are necessarily inconsistent enough on all the worlds to make technology not really function on worlds besides where it was created. Like, we know that Jagganoth has been developing war technologies and stuff, and there's things like television in Throne, so there must be some basic commonalities that make it worth creating that stuff and make them sharable between worlds. It's just that it gets blown away by stuff like the true arts, which is even more 'real', and also wide-scale technological development often requires a certain society-scale cooperative advancement that doesn't tend to happen in this setting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 22, 2021

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

paranoid randroid posted:

Hahaha What the gently caress is an Atom My Preem. All Life is Fundamentally Flame. Just Divide Creation. Just Walk Away.
an atom is that which cannot be cut, and when cut rewards the cutter with violence

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

standard.deviant posted:

an atom is that which cannot be cut, and when cut rewards the cutter with violence

If you cannot envision Cutting a single precisely-chosen atom perfectly in two with but a slice of your hand, you can never attain Royalty.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:f5:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

the holy poopacy posted:

Which is a completely pointless endeavor, because inevitably Solomon Dave will decide that the correct display of enlightenment is something else. He impassively watches his subjects grind themselves into dust trying to emulate and impress him not because he hopes they will succeed in following his example but because he knows they will fail.
This is because Salami Dave needs to know that he's The Greatest Ruler, but also at his core doubts the legitimacy of his reign and invulnerability, so he tells himself that anyone could be as good as him if he worked hard enough. (Which of course means that he's a demiurge because he's great, not that he's great because he's a demiurge.) Someone actually being able to draw his blood isn't something he wants. It's what he tells himself he wants, but actually getting it is complete anathema to his self-image, because getting it would prove that there is someone who can surpass him even with his advantages that he pretends he doesn't have. (This is why WC bruising him fucks with him so badly. She nearly matched him despite him having a Key, and a part of him knows what that proves.)

Basically, he's an objectivist, and he doesn't want to rule so much as he needs to rule to prop up his self-image. And now that's all falling apart.

Edit: This is also why I'm leaning so hard towards the "WC gets Solomon's key" theory, because by nearly matching him, she has, in practical terms, definitively exceeded him.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 22, 2021

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Well David has made his decision of what to do.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:tviv:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
RIP to the hog.

edit: this guy knew what was up

https://twitter.com/mikerayhawk/status/1357729805924466692

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
FORIBBDEN TEMPLE ART

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well that sure is a lot of dragon ball attacks directly to his dick all right.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Dude is pissed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

perhaps royalty is making noodles with the same hand that you used to castrate God

OhFunny posted:

Dude is pissed.

and panicking

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
PUNCH HIM IN THE BALLS

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Talk about smashing pissers

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Did he dickpunch Jags through dimensions straight to Throne?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

so anime i read the attack name right to left and was very confused

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think he punched him so hard they’re in the Void now?

Edit: Oh that would explain why he hasn’t used internet his technique previously. It’s strongly implied to be a suicide attack.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'm so poisoned from the internet I read that last phrase on the right as "Slayer of Salami" and started giggling.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1451659146453979143?s=20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I am loving the punchmans sfx

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Scallop Eyes posted:

Did he dickpunch Jags through dimensions straight to Throne?

Yeah back to where he came from when he sworded in to Rayuba

It’ll probably close behind them to end the fight

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Victis posted:

Yeah back to where he came from when he sworded in to Rayuba

It’ll probably close behind them to end the fight

so much for the jaggahog

and yeah I figured this would be one possibility for how Jagganoth doesn't kill everybody yet

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

rannum posted:

same

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this palooka had seriously deluded himself into thinking some random tournament-goer could take him in a fight

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lmfao at Incubus being totally hyped for his glorious last stand and getting a front row seat to the fact that he's just as out of his depth as Allison is there.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/ToonyGoons/status/1451665728701181963

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
POW! Ha ha!

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Lmfao at Incubus being totally hyped for his glorious last stand and getting a front row seat to the fact that he's just as out of his depth as Allison is there.

Incubus is so desperate to have his epic moment and someone keeps on barging in front of him just as he's got it all lined up, it's incredible

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

rannum posted:

same

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think he punched him so hard they’re in the Void now?

Edit: Oh that would explain why he hasn’t used internet his technique previously. It’s strongly implied to be a suicide attack.

of course it’s a suicide attack he’s punching jagganoth

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

rannum posted:

:same:

Dave whips out the most anime punchman of limit breaks, Destroy Myself To Punch Harder. Unfortunately for him that move never actually defeats the other guy, but punching Jagg into another dimension will probably buy Allison and Cio some time to run away.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
* smiling proudly, wiping away a single tear *

That was a dick move, Paternum. A real dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you could always million punch a guy in the dick why not open with that.