Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It actually looks like there may be a few other producers involved as well but he seems to be credited as an EP. it's a little murky.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ahhh yeah - I'm reading into it now too- that could be he just gave some money and they gave him the title but he's not touched any serious producer work. So he could be a 'producer' as in just some guy who gave them money and connections and hopped on board as talent, or he could've gotten down in the nitty-gritty and been involved in the actual organizing of the shoot. The latter is the real damning thing, how much did he know vs not, etc. How involved was he in the bad decision-making that caused this? That's my question. He's still got some responsibility as someone who is funding and making this thing go tho, for sure.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 22, 2021

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

punishedkissinger posted:

Baldwin was one of the producers that chose to use non-union labor and this resulted in him accidentally shooting someone

am i getting this right???

yes but you left out the most important part, the exact type of firearm and ammunition used

and the specs of his gaming pc

SearchInward
Oct 22, 2021
If I didn't know any better I would totally believe this is a 30 Rock episode plot.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wonder if they had an EMT on location like they’re supposed to.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Liz lemon: Jack, did you fire the union propmaster?
Jack donaghy: lemon, take my word for it— hiring non-union is always the way to go
Liz lemon: well, then who’s managing the props??
Kenneth: (running up, out of breath) Mr. donaghy, here’s the gun you asked for!

Lmao

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to production managers about gun safety on the set.

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set that day said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges on Saturday.

Baldwin’s stunt-double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks, one of crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” said the crew member. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by the Times.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i feel like Baldwin could have prevented this

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Baldwin, more like Hairedloss

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Slugworth posted:

Nope, this is not the case. The simple truth is that a small, momentary flash of flame is impossible to reproduce with CGI. Maybe 20 years from now, but until then, I'm just not gonna be able to enjoy a movie unless people on set were shot at.

https://twitter.com/ndsinnott/status/1451409979139837964?s=21

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1451438949440892928?s=21

quote:

Films are to serve a single purpose, which is to convince me, the gun afficianado, that they have painstakingly detailed the firing of a gun to a sufficient degree.

This seems like it has to be a joke and I’m too old and out of touch to get it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Snowy posted:

This seems like it has to be a joke and I’m too old and out of touch to get it

It is definitely not a joke and is exactly the way I feel about film as well. If the muzzle flash isn't real I might as well just read the book.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
911 call has been released.

quote:

2:19 PM PT -- We've obtained an extended version of the 911 call, and it's very clear to hear the caller was upset with another member on the crew, saying they were supposed to check the guns, and placing the blame on them.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/22/alec-baldwin-gun-accident-911-call-we-need-help-immediately/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i am willing to bet the folks complaining about CGI vs practical muzzle flashes can only tell the difference in egregious circumstances, and the majority of CGI muzzle flashes don't even register to you or in fact may even look more passable even if it's exaggerated bc movies aren't real life and people have certain expectations of how movie guns look that differ from reality, same as how how guns needs to make large BCHAOOWWW BANG BANG BLOOW noises to be considered 'real' guns in movies even tho we all knows guns IRL just make lil' pop-pop noises at best

real gunshots look and sounder underwhelming, at this point we're full-on in cartoon levels of exaggeration for these things in film and it's expected - hell, not only expected, audiences are upset if you don't push it and guns are portrayed realistically instead of indulging in the power fantasy.

Nah, Heat owns because all the sound from the big setpiece scene was the audio from the shoot, which they decided not to record over in post because it sounded awesome as hell as is while also looking kickass. It woulda sucked if it was done with CGI.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ahhh yeah - I'm reading into it now too- that could be he just gave some money and they gave him the title but he's not touched any serious producer work. So he could be a 'producer' as in just some guy who gave them money and connections and hopped on board as talent, or he could've gotten down in the nitty-gritty and been involved in the actual organizing of the shoot. The latter is the real damning thing, how much did he know vs not, etc. How involved was he in the bad decision-making that caused this? That's my question. He's still got some responsibility as someone who is funding and making this thing go tho, for sure.

He was the only recognizable name within a 100 miles of this thing. I've gotta think he enough pull to insist that basic safety protocols be followed and that union labor be used and not treated like poo poo.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It actually looks like there may be a few other producers involved as well but he seems to be credited as an EP. it's a little murky.

thank you for posting the list of suspects, now the real sleuthing can begin!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
i Like alex binderwinkle i am sorry alecs

I mean this must be pretty rough, kidding aside. Let me shoot this fake gun a bit WHAT THE gently caress

(people arguing about producer titles are wasting time and posts that could be other poo poo posts -- its a fuckn gesture. I own the studio & my 19 yr old wife is a executive producer whats up)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I bet he was trying to illustrate some point about over-reaction re gun safety in an argument when he fired the gun.

GIMME THAT THING. *BLAM*. *BLAM*

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

if it turns out thaat the only reason the DP got shot is because they were scabbing on the camera operator...

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
"Alright you 3 get together we're gonna have a rigging contest. 1st prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. 2nd is this set of kitchen knives."

Crew: "Uhhhh... what's 3rd prize?"

*cocks gun*

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
At least two shows so far, including Westworld, have announced to their crews they will stop using blanks/firing guns on set effective immediately. Sorry to the people who unironically would rather a crew member die than see a digital muzzle flash but I'm hoping more shows follow. Then at least some good can come out of this whole poo poo show

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Steadiman posted:

At least two shows so far, including Westworld, have announced to their crews they will stop using blanks/firing guns on set effective immediately. Sorry to the people who unironically would rather a crew member die than see a digital muzzle flash but I'm hoping more shows follow. Then at least some good can come out of this whole poo poo show

I don't think anyone who says CGI looks bad is saying that yes they want people to die on set.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

actual pyrotechnics are dangerous on every set and corners should never be allowed to be cut when working with them. the issue here seems to be the lack of regulation, oversight, and trained union workers.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

alec baldwin to be inducted into the pinkerton hall of fame

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

actual pyrotechnics are dangerous on every set and corners should never be allowed to be cut when working with them. the issue here seems to be the lack of regulation, oversight, and trained union workers.

Practical effects and stuntwork are from a less civilized era in film history, everything must be done in front of a greenscreen from here on out.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nah, Heat owns because all the sound from the big setpiece scene was the audio from the shoot, which they decided not to record over in post because it sounded awesome as hell as is while also looking kickass. It woulda sucked if it was done with CGI.
Michael Mann's commentary for that scene was really interesting in relation to the audio. It is still an amazing scene and it makes me greatful we now have large HD TVs to park our asses in front of.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
So in addition to the gun having malfunctioned on 3 prior occasions, Baldwin was given the gun by an assistant director and not a prop master or other safety person.

quote:

SANTA FE, N.M. -- Alec Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/sheriff-baldwin-fired-prop-gun-movie-set-killing-80723960

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

This part seems incriminating to me

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do you think he will reflect on this and like, get super down with union solidarity?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i mean hes shooting scabs

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Schweinhund posted:

Lol

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Do we know that the people responsible for the gun were just hired and non-union? Everything I've seen only says that union camera operators walked but they wouldn't have anything to do with that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i mean hes shooting scabs

isn't he kind of a scab by working on the production that is being picketed

it's scabs killing scabs out here

Rahu posted:

Do we know that the people responsible for the gun were just hired and non-union? Everything I've seen only says that union camera operators walked but they wouldn't have anything to do with that.

pretty much all of the anonymous sourced stuff on twitter says so but i guess it's not really credibly confirmed

Schweinhund posted:

:drat:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why was the prop gun loaded with live rounds? Who did that? Sounds like a murder mystery plot even though it’s probably is just breathtaking stupidity

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why was the prop gun loaded with live rounds? Who did that? Sounds like a murder mystery plot even though it’s probably is just breathtaking stupidity

someone was saying the armourer literally took it out shooting over lunch and forgot to clear it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

someone was saying the armourer literally took it out shooting over lunch and forgot to clear it.

ngl aside from the scabbing this sounds like a super fun set to work on

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol yeah thats pretty up there on probably bad ideas

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the idea of owning a firearm and not meticulously clearing it constantly is insane to me.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vengarr posted:

Wonder if they had an EMT on location like they’re supposed to.

Big grain of salt but I saw something somewhere saying that they did not have a field medic on site, which is part of the reason the union crew walked off set.

Schweinhund posted:

:lol: gently caress :smith:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
"l guess i'll just half rear end loading these mg42s"
-prop guy, Saving Private Ryan (convicted for 800 counts of manslaughter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Union has claimed it had a live round, sheriff's office has said that hasn't been determined yet.

We do know that there had been problems with the gun, which invites the question of why it wasn't replaced.