Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

I need to go back and read the old Reckoning books. I remember them being a lot of fun because of how weird they were and how deranged some of the imbued were in the forum posts excerpts.

Yeah, some of them are among the best books just to read. The Walking Dead (no relation) is great, Creed Book: Wayward, Hunter's Survival Guide, some others I'm forgetting. They even started throwing curveballs at what supernatural critters were what which felt like proto-nWoD which could be a lot looser towards that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anyone in this thread who can tolerate long monologues should watch Midnight Mass.
I cannot elaborate without spoilers to like... episode 2 onwards.

WoD/CofD-compliant Catholic vampire!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

bewilderment posted:

Anyone in this thread who can tolerate long monologues should watch Midnight Mass.
I cannot elaborate without spoilers to like... episode 2 onwards.

WoD/CofD-compliant Catholic vampire!
It's extremely good for both CofD "sinister-but-maybe-that's-just-how-things-are-now" vibes and also, the spoilered part.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
And you know what? Anyone who can't tolerate long monologues should work on themselves and then watch Midnight Mass.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Ferrinus posted:

And you know what? Anyone who can't tolerate long monologues should work on themselves and then watch Midnight Mass.

sometimes i really hate how much i agree with most Ferrinus posts. this is not one of those times. Loved the creepy, slow, melancholy character development of the first half of Midnight Mass. Loved the petal-to-the-metal insanity and grand guignol spectacle of the second half of Midnight Mass. Can see how they might be stuck together awkwardly enough to bother some people who are a fan of one but not the other but I loved the ride and the audacity of it all.

Also, recently binged "Lodge 49" and it had a shocking amount of nMage vibes. Also, like, a genuinely great weird entertaining little show, but it took the western occult tradition seriously, grappled with what belief in a symbolic truth would look like, and captured the drama over some petty bullshit in a way that kept making me think of Mage.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh, yeah, if any of you haven't seen Lodge 49 you should go fix that like, now. Like drop what you're doing and do it now, now. It's easily in my top 5 shows of all time.

EDIT: You should also watch Strange Angel. It was a powerful couple of TV seasons for Mystic Order television. The two are very different tonally but if anyone's on the fence, Strange Angel is a heavily fictionalized and stylistically gorgeous account of Actual Sex Wizard Rocket Scientist Anarchist Jack Parsons (the closest man to an actual worthy successor to the Great Beast there ever was), his discovery of Thelema, and how it overlapped with and was closely interwoven with his involvement in the US rocketry industry and war effort of WW2.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 15, 2021

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

Oh, yeah, if any of you haven't seen Lodge 49 you should go fix that like, now. Like drop what you're doing and do it now, now. It's easily in my top 5 shows of all time.

EDIT: You should also watch Strange Angel. It was a powerful couple of TV seasons for Mystic Order television. The two are very different tonally but if anyone's on the fence, Strange Angel is a heavily fictionalized and stylistically gorgeous account of Actual Sex Wizard Rocket Scientist Anarchist Jack Parsons (the closest man to an actual worthy successor to the Great Beast there ever was), his discovery of Thelema, and how it overlapped with and was closely interwoven with his involvement in the US rocketry industry and war effort of WW2.

Does it involve the part where good Ole LRH stole his wife?

Not to poo poo on Parsons, but it's pretty hilarious.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No, it was unfortunately cancelled before it got that far. He and Jack's magical operations would've been part of Season 3, and boy, that would've been interesting because it involved Jack jerking off while ol' Ronnie watched and took notes (sex magic is rarely as sexy as it sounds) to conjure an elemental bride, who... kind of actually appeared, and was a brilliant and tortured artist who went on to found a cult of drugged-out lunatics who were planning to breed a race of moon-children to reign over mankind during the Aeon of Horus.

So, y'know. The whole thing with ol El Ron was swings and roundabouts on the whole.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, I’m just kinda amazed at your damning with faint praise. Worthy successor to the Great Beast, like, why would you do that to poor Jack.

(Yes I know Crowley had a better head on his shoulders about Hubbard, but still, I’m not really ever gonna sympathize with a dude whose only reason for turning against Hitler was the Nazis banning his favorite occult society.)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh, Crowley was a garbage person and a terrible leader. I just mean a worthy successor esoterically, since on that level Crowley was actually quite talented. It's the same way I routinely have to write approvingly of Carl Schmitt's work (and sadly, academic convention prohibits me from ending every footnote citing him with 'Nazi Bastard!')

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, I’m just kinda amazed at your damning with faint praise. Worthy successor to the Great Beast, like, why would you do that to poor Jack.

(Yes I know Crowley had a better head on his shoulders about Hubbard, but still, I’m not really ever gonna sympathize with a dude whose only reason for turning against Hitler was the Nazis banning his favorite occult society.)

RIP W.B. Yeats, who once kicked Crowley down a flight of stairs for being a creep.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Loomer posted:

Oh, Crowley was a garbage person and a terrible leader. I just mean a worthy successor esoterically, since on that level Crowley was actually quite talented. It's the same way I routinely have to write approvingly of Carl Schmitt's work (and sadly, academic convention prohibits me from ending every footnote citing him with 'Nazi Bastard!')

As my teacher told me, there's a reason most actual occultists tend to react to anyone seriously quoting Crowley with 'lol Crowley', while quietly absorbing some of the more usable ideas he put out there.

Back on-topic for the thread, I had an idea while running a one-shot recently for handling combat that isn't against an actually meaningful NPC: I just set an arbitrary threshold for successes (ie., 'you need at least one success to win this fight'), and then have them roll a relevant combat skill - basically, just treat it like any other skill roll. Obviously, when they're dealing with an important enemy or group of enemies, then you bust out the full combat rules, but the players decided that since this was a one-shot, gently caress the Masquerade and gently caress trying to be stealthy getting into an enemy's stronghold when said enemy knows they're coming, and it would have been a lot smoother if I'd just implemented this at the table for stuff like dealing with the doorway guards, who were basically no actual threat.

Basically, the Blades in the Dark resolution system seems like it would work REALLY well (specifically, the parts about effect and position), I just thought I'd see what anyone else thought before bolting it on the next time I'm asked to run a CoD game. And to forestall the inevitable 'Why not just run Blades, then?', the players aren't interested in the setting/system at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GimpInBlack posted:

RIP W.B. Yeats, who once kicked Crowley down a flight of stairs for being a creep.
More like A.C. Yeets

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HoboTech posted:

To clarify, these guys also refer to DnD derisively as a "beer and pretzels" game and don't seem think it's possible to actually roleplay while playing it. Again, maybe I misunderstood them, but I don't think so.

Maybe they just really hate rolling dice?

They sound dumb, why bother listening to them?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

GimpInBlack posted:

That whole milieu was wonderfully bizarre and even spilled over here in Australia, though ours had a bigger theosophist component than Golden Dawn.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

As my teacher told me, there's a reason most actual occultists tend to react to anyone seriously quoting Crowley with 'lol Crowley', while quietly absorbing some of the more usable ideas he put out there.

Well, barring a lot of the ones in the OTO and A.:A.:., yes. Crowley is honestly tricky to cut out like that - his influence on modern Western esotericism is so significant that no matter what you're doing, someone you're reading or working with has picked up his ideas and run with them to at least some extent (I use Skinner's revision of Liber 777 constantly, which itself was a revision of Westcott's version, and so on down the line). At the same time, a lot of his best ideas have to be really harshly treated because he was, in addition to knowing his stuff, an inveterate liar, heroin addict, terrible poet, and self-hating Christian desperate to justify his desire to gently caress other dudes. Despite that, even Thelema has a great deal of good in it for those prepared to do the work (though, and I suppose this backs up your teacher, the best way to do that is to stay the gently caress away from the OTO unless you're blessed with an actually decent local bunch.)

That's actually part of why I think Jack was the best possible successor to him. He would've been an antidote to a lot of Crowley's bullshit had he had a chance to take the reins. Unfortunately Germer and Grant wound up being the rulers instead and we got the modern OTO that's still struggling with the legacy of Crowley's poo poo.

Anyone curious about this and just how the modern Western esoteric landscape evolved should grab a copy of Drury's Stealing Fire from Heaven. It's got some issues but it's a solid introduction and overview, especially since it doesn't neglect Rosaleen Norton's role.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Back on-topic for the thread, I had an idea while running a one-shot recently for handling combat that isn't against an actually meaningful NPC: I just set an arbitrary threshold for successes (ie., 'you need at least one success to win this fight'), and then have them roll a relevant combat skill - basically, just treat it like any other skill roll. Obviously, when they're dealing with an important enemy or group of enemies, then you bust out the full combat rules, but the players decided that since this was a one-shot, gently caress the Masquerade and gently caress trying to be stealthy getting into an enemy's stronghold when said enemy knows they're coming, and it would have been a lot smoother if I'd just implemented this at the table for stuff like dealing with the doorway guards, who were basically no actual threat.

Basically, the Blades in the Dark resolution system seems like it would work REALLY well (specifically, the parts about effect and position), I just thought I'd see what anyone else thought before bolting it on the next time I'm asked to run a CoD game. And to forestall the inevitable 'Why not just run Blades, then?', the players aren't interested in the setting/system at all.

Sure, it is a good idea. CofD and WoD have a lot of legacy bullshit, but treating combat encounters like other skill tests is a piece of contemporary design that fits in smoothly and spares you from slowing down the game with the downright miserable combat in the system.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

The Midnight Society's take on Crowley is hilarious. A loud and dumb alpha jock bro who is terrified of Yeats.

quote:

Crowley: anyway let's just some motherfuckin magyyyyick going!
Crowley: I'M THE GREAT BEAST!!
Crowley: DO WHAT THOU WILLT
WB Yeats[in distance]: crowleeeey
Stoker: what's that?
Crowley: uhhh
Yeats:[in distance] come out and plaaaay
Crowley: that's
Crowley: that's just the wind
WB Yeats: [holding 2x4, shirt sleeves rolled up] CROWLEEEEY
Yeats: COME ON OUT CROWLEEEEY
Yeats: I KNOW YOU'RE IN THEREEEE
Yeats: I CAN SMELL YOUR BAD POETRYYYY
Yeats: COME OUT CROWLEEEEEY
Machen: who is that guy
Crowley: nothing he's just some punk from Roosevelt High
Crowley: he's mad cuz we TPed their mascot
Crowley: I'M THE GREAT BEAST! DO WHAT THOU WILT!
Crowley: he'll go away
Yeats: [in distance] crowleey
Machen: i don't think he's going away
Crowley: fuuuuck

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GimpInBlack posted:

lmao hell yeah, also how am i just hearing about this for the first time

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
What rough beast catches these hands, loser

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

Hahahahahahaha loving owned. Seems Crowley's center (of gravity) couldn't hold.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CaptainRat posted:

What rough beast catches these hands, loser

lol

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Page 213: MageChat, but not the mages you were expecting

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Our 'actual' magicians just having weird slap fights and being knocked down stairs instead of resorting to the ARTS ARCANE feels very Unknown Armies because control of entropy is nice and all but so is knowing how to box.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

This is down and dirty combat in CoD

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Loomer posted:

No, it was unfortunately cancelled before it got that far. He and Jack's magical operations would've been part of Season 3, and boy, that would've been interesting because it involved Jack jerking off while ol' Ronnie watched and took notes (sex magic is rarely as sexy as it sounds) to conjure an elemental bride, who... kind of actually appeared, and was a brilliant and tortured artist who went on to found a cult of drugged-out lunatics who were planning to breed a race of moon-children to reign over mankind during the Aeon of Horus.

So, y'know. The whole thing with ol El Ron was swings and roundabouts on the whole.

If I remember the Last Podcast on the Left series on Hubbard correctly wasn't there also a boat theft somewhere in there

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GimpInBlack posted:

/tap microphone

W.B. YEET

/leave stage

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

If I remember the Last Podcast on the Left series on Hubbard correctly wasn't there also a boat theft somewhere in there

Probably? It's been a minute since I listened to that series but it might have been in Going Clear.

Dawgstar posted:

Our 'actual' magicians just having weird slap fights and being knocked down stairs instead of resorting to the ARTS ARCANE feels very Unknown Armies because control of entropy is nice and all but so is knowing how to box.

It's because most "magicians" are fat/bone thin nerds.

Yawgmoth posted:

/tap microphone

W.B. YEET

/leave stage

:golfclap:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

L. Ronnie did bilk Parsons out of $20K with some yacht resale scam and also stole his girlfriend (while married at the time) when they then fled to Florida.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

…where the pair then tried to flee the country on a boat. Jack Parsons decided to stop them by per of ring a furious masturbation ritual to command his goddess to smite them.

Hubbard was forced to return to port by a storm at approximately the same time this was happening.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

joylessdivision posted:

It's because most "magicians" are fat/bone thin nerds.

It's true. We aren't a particularly well-adjusted, gym-going bunch on the whole.

Mors Rattus posted:

…where the pair then tried to flee the country on a boat. Jack Parsons decided to stop them by per of ring a furious masturbation ritual to command his goddess to smite them.

Hubbard was forced to return to port by a storm at approximately the same time this was happening.

Yeah, the timing of it was great. His last few years were full of a lot of coincidences involving him doing a ritual, and more or less what he wanted then happening. The big one was Cameron turning up, though. That's his mad elemental wife, who he, again for everyone keeping track at home, he conjured by basically jerking off a ton in front of L Ron Hubbard (after he stole his girlfriend, before they stole his money and fled to the sea) while chanting and while America's premiere nutjob religion founder took detailed notes. The idea there was to birth a spirit of unbridled sexual liberation (and thereby end the other bigotries and pains afflicting society), and up popped Cameron a few weeks later. A few weeks after that she was pregnant, though she had a miscarriage.

Cameron is the one who later went to on to found a multi-racial cult in the Mexican desert that wanted to breed a race of moon-children to rule the bold new aeon, and while initially she was quite convinced Jack's magic was silly nonsense she turned into quite a practitioner of her own form of it later in life and eventually accepted that she was the incarnation of Babalon. And again, an astonishing artist in a sort of deranged style that's a bit like Goya after doing a lot of Mescaline.

We might as well finish our Parsons story with the mystery of his death, for anyone who doesn't know it. In 1952, Parsons died in a rather nasty explosion in his home workshop as he was preparing (ostensibly) to move to Mexico for a business trip. The official story is that he dropped a large tin of fulminating mercury he was using to prime a new batch of explosives for a film, it detonated on impact, caused a second explosion that blew his arm clean off and wounded him so badly he died within forty-five minutes. He had a closed casket funeral and his body was never officially identified.

Naturally, this spawns plenty of conspiracy theories. Parsons was a maverick chemist with a simultaneous tendency towards unsafe working practices (large barrels of gunpowder just lying about in his lab, etc) and a meticulous and safety-conscious attitude towards the actual chemical operations (despite mixing all his chemicals by hand from a young age, he still had all his fingers! Until, y'know. He didn't.), so plenty of people struggle with the idea he died of an accident. The leading alternative theories are Suicide (but if that was the case, he'd probably have tried to set the mercury off where it'd take his head, not his arm) or murder. And who killed him? Well, that depends on who you ask, because at the time he died he was involved in a little light treason. He wasn't moving to Mexico. He was moving to Israel, where he was going to teach them his rocket scientist skills and possibly find a new sponsor for his work after being driven into exile from the JPL as a security risk (he was, in addition to a sex wizard, also the host of a large bunch of artists, anarchists, and other dissidents in his mansion (gimme a time machine and I'd pay it a visit, that's for sure), who was boot-legging nitroglycerin on the side and associated with communists. Also, he may or may not have held an orgy at JPL. The McCarthy Era wasn't a great time to be doing any of those things.) and from Hughes Aerospace for similar reasons, but this time involving sending classified documents (which he'd authored himself, in fairness) out to be transcribed privately and sent to the Israelis. He did all this quite openly, so he wasn't exactly a spy, but it brought the hammer down hard.

So, who killed him if it wasn't an accident or suicide? Well, he had a few enemies - a corrupt policeman he'd helped send to jail for killing a man with a car bomb and who'd literally just gotten out of jail, Howard Hughes (that whole corporate espionage deal), the FBI, and maybe the American government more generally (again, that whole 'espionage' deal...) Take your pick. You can spin a good theory out of any of them. Maybe Jack was killed to keep the father of modern rocketry from lending his services to Israel, at that time untested and unproven, and without the CIA-Mossad alliance of 54 to make it a palatable prospect. Maybe it was petty and personal revenge.

The third leading theory is he blew himself up trying to create a homonculus, though why he'd be using explosives for that process is unclear. But I guess when you're a rocket scientist maybe every problem can be solved with more rockets?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Loomer posted:

The third leading theory is he blew himself up trying to create a homonculus, though why he'd be using explosives for that process is unclear. But I guess when you're a rocket scientist maybe every problem can be solved with more rockets?
I've read Ignition! and James Mahaffey's Atomic series multiple times. There absolutely were some rocket scientists who thought this way.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

maybe every problem can be solved with more rockets?
Ah, I see you have played Kerbal Space Program as well.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

It's true. We aren't a particularly well-adjusted, gym-going bunch on the whole.

And I say it with affection because I too am a skinny nerd who has read books by weirdos who wanted to get laid and be wizards.

And I'm not talking about fantasy novels :smugwizard:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My favorite Jack Parsons story is the time he and Hubbard went into the desert to perform a magical ritual go on a days-long drug bender in order to summon the Antichrist so Parsons could have someone to gently caress

And it worked

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Froghammer posted:

My favorite Jack Parsons story is the time he and Hubbard went into the desert to perform a magical ritual go on a days-long drug bender in order to summon the Antichrist so Parsons could have someone to gently caress

And it worked

To be fair, it was the early 60s and strange women willing to bang weirdos (who had drugs) was the style at the time.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Marjorie Cameron's life itself is worth a bit of a read on if you haven't. She had quite the ride herself, though one with an enormous amount of tragedy both before and after Jack died. If she was the vessel of Babalon, then no wonder the new age of liberation has come with such terrible companions.

Also Dud from Lodge 49 is clearly what happens when a Hollow One (no they don't all have to be goths some can be surfer dudes) joins the Order of Hermes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The guy who could literally wear a shirt saying 'Yes, I Am A Rocket Wizard'

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
so, a thought, or series of thoughts, invaded my head recently and the dread specter of magechat took grip of me, so here is my rambling bit of non-sense cosmological speculation for nMage:

When the exarchs ascended, they did not merely take control of existing symbols, they broke the ability for any other symbols to exist. Not on purpose, but bit suited them just fine that it happened. This created a stagnant world locked in pseudo-stasis, ensuring that the only rulebook in play was the one they already won with; whose rules allowed a winner to remain such perpetually. The options to get up and go play a different game or to even houserule the existing one were removed.

Quasi-relatedly, the way mages view symbols, supernal or otherwise, is flawed. Symbols lack meaning without a context in which to exist, they are void of meaning until actively observed; like a quantum state being resolved. There is no "supernal truth" because the supernal is still just symbols, granted meaning by the context in which they exist, truth cannot exist in the symbols alone. The symbols are part of a larger system that truly comprises what might be viewed as "truth". Following from this, the notion of supernal truth is itself a trap created by a broken reality and/or devised by the exarchs, because it fundamentally reinforces the context in which they were already the winners and will always remain the winners. In conclusion: the Free Council is right but not for the reasons most of them likely think, the Fallen World is incredibly important because it is the context in which the symbols are existing; it is not a shadow cast on the wall, it is the symbols and the space between the symbols, and the interpretation of the symbols (and all the things that don't seem to fit neatly into supernal categorization are because they derive from non-supernal symbols and/or are so transformed by context that trying to view them through only a lens of supernal symbology falls apart). The problem is not that it fell, because that is a fundamental misunderstanding of how it changed state, it is that it became largely static. You could even tie this into the God Machine and say that it was once the process by which reality as we know it integrated new symbols and broke incredibly badly when that stopped being possible.

This is entirely me bullshitting and there's not really anything in the text to support it, but also nothing that really shuts down the notions either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Developed a homebrew Predator Type that wasn't covered for V5:

Culler
You feed only from the elderly and infirm, "culling the herd," as it were. Due to their frail nature, your victims rarely survive the feeding process, and the quality of their blood is such that even when you drink your fill it's rarely satiating. These mortals don't have long to live, after all, so what's the loss of a few meager weeks, or months, or years with poor quality of life?

- Add a specialty: Awareness (Illness) or Medicine (Diagnosis)
- Gain one dot of Auspex or Oblivion
- Lose one dot of Humanity
- Gain the Feeding Merit: (o) Bloodhound
- Gain the Feeding Flaw: (o) Methuselah's Thirst
- Spend three dots in a medical Ally

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Obligatum VII posted:

Quasi-relatedly, the way mages view symbols, supernal or otherwise, is flawed. Symbols lack meaning without a context in which to exist, they are void of meaning until actively observed; like a quantum state being resolved. There is no "supernal truth" because the supernal is still just symbols, granted meaning by the context in which they exist, truth cannot exist in the symbols alone. The symbols are part of a larger system that truly comprises what might be viewed as "truth". Following from this, the notion of supernal truth is itself a trap created by a broken reality and/or devised by the exarchs, because it fundamentally reinforces the context in which they were already the winners and will always remain the winners. In conclusion: the Free Council is right but not for the reasons most of them likely think, the Fallen World is incredibly important because it is the context in which the symbols are existing; it is not a shadow cast on the wall, it is the symbols and the space between the symbols, and the interpretation of the symbols (and all the things that don't seem to fit neatly into supernal categorization are because they derive from non-supernal symbols and/or are so transformed by context that trying to view them through only a lens of supernal symbology falls apart). The problem is not that it fell, because that is a fundamental misunderstanding of how it changed state, it is that it became largely static. You could even tie this into the God Machine and say that it was once the process by which reality as we know it integrated new symbols and broke incredibly badly when that stopped being possible.

It's caves all the way up!