Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I love Krush for how quick he munches through the low level bounty grind. Very action efficient. Managed a 3 turn heroic air elemental bounty, imagine 2 might be possible if you got perfect boon/treasure RNG to one round the boss ( after the1 round battle 1, boon then blue portal mystery spot opener)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

NorgLyle posted:

Rokara's 3rd task is also misnamed but, like all the 3rd tasks, works just fine if you just use the level 15 ability a bunch.
I'm really tired of the Task 3s since almost everybody's third ability is on Cooldown. Trying to deal damage with Anathema, for example, requires casting it on turn 2, passing on turn 3, switching back to Anathema on turn 4, passing on turn 5 and casting it a second time on turn 6.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Yeah some of them are easy to cheese (damage => buffs/crits) and some of them complete themselves because they don't require that hero to do anything (do a bounty) and then others are like yeah use this Cooldown (3) ability 10 times. Or activate this deathblow condition a bunch.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
LMAO just Mutanus'd my first quest reward.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Boatswain posted:

LMAO just Mutanus'd my first quest reward.

nice!

I gave up on that dream, but playing fel or deathrattle DH I do have access to a bunch of Illidari studies so I have managed to glide or Stelina a bunch of them away over the last month.

You can tell a good player from a bad player if they complete the quest without enough mana to play the reward on the same turn.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

You can tell a good player from a bad player if they complete the quest without enough mana to play the reward on the same turn.

Or in the case of priest, you can tell by the fact they are playing the quest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RIP Air Elemental farm. Guess we'll need to find out which level 30 mission has the fastest mystery spot now

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Varden's task 9 is dumb as bricks (deal damage with Ice Lance), which means you have to have another way to freeze enemies in your party, which are one of two legendaries (Jaina and Lich King). I've had to abandon it 3 times now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

RIP Air Elemental farm. Guess we'll need to find out which level 30 mission has the fastest mystery spot now

After using 3 or 6 PVP games for level 1 mercs, I've been doing High Justice Grimstone (2nd in Blackrock) to get under level'd mercs to 30 for their tasks. The 2 tokens are great (Varden + Cairne) and the boss is beatable with Cariel + Samuro + Xyrella/other

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

RatHat posted:

Most mercenaries want their 7 task item, and the best/fastest way was to spam an easy map where you had the chance to get a task, for maybe the merc you want.

This looked like a lovely way to play the game and Blizzard didn't like it so now...they're making it harder and more time consuming.

They could change it to maybe not take 7 tasks? Maybe?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AnacondaHL posted:

After using 3 or 6 PVP games for level 1 mercs, I've been doing High Justice Grimstone (2nd in Blackrock) to get under level'd mercs to 30 for their tasks. The 2 tokens are great (Varden + Cairne) and the boss is beatable with Cariel + Samuro + Xyrella/other

I used the final boss of Felwood(on Heroic) for leveling since he's weak to Holy and Xyrella/Anduin/Velen can easily kill him(or Uther if you have him).

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
I find the mercenaries PvE mode EXTREMELY mundane and grindy. Like its just nothing to it yet even at my 6k mmr im against players using meta teams with maxed out skills. I need to repeat the pve for a few hours to not lose in pvp I guess. Yeah gently caress that.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I've already gotten frustrated with the grinding in mercenaries mode. I want to go play pvp but I can't ever win because I don't have good characters to 30 and grinding coins is absolutely miserable.

Like my xyrella just has tier 2 of the first ability that makes her so good and everyone I play has it maxed out and I just can't loving compete.

I don't have 20 hours to just grind endlessly to get specifically xyrella coins and level up a full comp in PvE just to start to compete in PvP.

It doesn't help that the pve is incredibly dull. PvP is the whole point of this game but you can't actually get any significant number of coins just off PvP so you gotta grind the lovely pve to get there.

Is there a guide or way to effectively get coins in PvP I just haven't seen?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Having the equipment items that most characters need to function locked behind Task 7 is the whole reason everyone was grinding the Air Elemental. It's not like anybody actually enjoyed brainlessly clicking through the fights and then retiring again and again (while accumulating 3k+ coins for maxed out freebie characters).

I think my real concern with the nerf is that there are people who have been grinding since the day of release on the most efficient path and they have now set themselves up as a permanent tier above anyone that wasn't doing that for whatever reason (not having 16 hours a day to play Hearthstone like some kind of casual, for example). As said, in PvP there are already a large population of people who have maxed out the tier 1 teams and if you haven't done that yet good luck catching up.

There's no amount of packs you can buy that will unlock Frostmourne. What was this change supposed to do?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The equipment unlocks are hilariously stupid. They should have been like, reach level 10/20/30

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

NorgLyle posted:

Having the equipment items that most characters need to function locked behind Task 7 is the whole reason everyone was grinding the Air Elemental. It's not like anybody actually enjoyed brainlessly clicking through the fights and then retiring again and again (while accumulating 3k+ coins for maxed out freebie characters).

I think my real concern with the nerf is that there are people who have been grinding since the day of release on the most efficient path and they have now set themselves up as a permanent tier above anyone that wasn't doing that for whatever reason (not having 16 hours a day to play Hearthstone like some kind of casual, for example). As said, in PvP there are already a large population of people who have maxed out the tier 1 teams and if you haven't done that yet good luck catching up.

There's no amount of packs you can buy that will unlock Frostmourne. What was this change supposed to do?

Make the grind harder to incentivise pack buying for coins over PvE

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Sounds like I made a good decision in passing entirely on Mercenaries. :unsmith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don't worry, if you do the 4 tasks each day you'll have every characters' tasks maxed out in 229.5 days!

It wouldn't be so bad if you could choose which tasks you get each day

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I played a few hours of mercs last weekend and don't see a reason to go back. Apart from the gameplay and grind being pretty dull, I found the interface awful as a mobile player. Moving back to normal Hearthstone it was a real noticeable difference how much easier card / action selection is.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

RatHat posted:

I guess how much this will suck really depends on how they “adjusted” the appearance rate. If it means that doing level 30 bounties with a lvl 30 group almost always gives you a mysterious stranger, it’s ok, I think.

If they left that rate as it is, it will be really bad. Winterspring/Blackrock bounties are long enough, and it feels really lovely getting a spud or blue portal right before the boss.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Varden's task 9 is dumb as bricks (deal damage with Ice Lance), which means you have to have another way to freeze enemies in your party, which are one of two legendaries (Jaina and Lich King). I've had to abandon it 3 times now.

Do one of the air elemental bounties, normal or heroic, and have a fast attacker, a healer and varden. Attack into an ice elemental thingy that freezes your attacker, varden ice lances your attacker, and the healer keeps everyone, including the enemy, healed up.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Supposedly the last Felwood normal fight is decent for farming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mkYQzlnS0

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

I used the final boss of Felwood(on Heroic) for leveling since he's weak to Holy and Xyrella/Anduin/Velen can easily kill him(or Uther if you have him).

Tezzeract posted:

Yea, I happen to have opened Uther, so this works for me as new go-to for getting tasks and leveling mercs to 30.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tezzeract posted:

I think I’ll wait until more testing is done because I ran this 5 times and got 0 strangers. Might just be bad luck but I’m not gonna waste my time to find out

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

RatHat posted:

I think I’ll wait until more testing is done because I ran this 5 times and got 0 strangers. Might just be bad luck but I’m not gonna waste my time to find out

Yeah I whiffed too. I think for a higher chance, Wintergrasp has all level 30s and I seemed to get Mysterious Strangers again.

It seems like the dev's intended way to pay is to target farm bosses and get specific characters - tasks are secondary.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They need to fix tasks. The way they have them implemented is just crazy and leads to dumb game play. The current fix won't be enough I don't think to make them work the way the game should. I trust them to do it though. Just think of where HS was two-three years ago and where it is now. It might take a year or so before Mercenaries is really right, but I think they'll get there. It still may not be for everyone but right now it's got too many gotcha's and kinks. It'll always be a grind, but so is HS so that shouldn't be an issue in my opinion.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mayveena posted:

They need to fix tasks. The way they have them implemented is just crazy and leads to dumb game play. The current fix won't be enough I don't think to make them work the way the game should. I trust them to do it though. Just think of where HS was two-three years ago and where it is now. It might take a year or so before Mercenaries is really right, but I think they'll get there. It still may not be for everyone but right now it's got too many gotcha's and kinks. It'll always be a grind, but so is HS so that shouldn't be an issue in my opinion.

I liked a suggestion I saw on Reddit where the mysterious stranger would move between missions(and you can see where it is) in exchange for being a 100% chance. It’d make it better for task farming and make farming less boring

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

yo p sure this was stealth nerfed already and the mysterious challenger is spawning only near the top end of the map now :laffo:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Still not good but still hilarious when it works:

### 2nd Place
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Blessing of Wisdom
# 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
# 2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
# 2x (1) Righteous Cause
# 2x (2) Air Raid
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Flash of Light
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 2x (2) Pursuit of Justice
# 2x (3) Carnival Barker
# 2x (3) Day at the Faire
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Muster for Battle
# 2x (4) Balloon Merchant
# 2x (4) Lightfused Stegodon
# 1x (5) Lothraxion the Redeemed
#
AAEBAeq3BAKnBYfeAw7dCu0PuMcC2ccC7IYDjK0DlrYDysEDgt4Dg94DhN4Dot4D9+gDrooEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

canqued
Jan 18, 2020
As quest priest I completed the quest and had the OTK combo on turn 9 (but unable to play it until turn 10).

My opponent was able to kill off their 7th Elwyn Boar that same turn.

Getting out-memed hurts so much worse than every other pre-determined obliteration this meta has to offer.

WHERE THE gently caress IS THE MINI-SET YOU HACKS

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Reminder that MT Stormwind drops are live this weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDj9h2T_z20

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
So, if they want players to do “more engaging gameplay” they probably should make the rewards worth it.
In my last three (normal) Ragnaros bounties, I’ve gotten only one mysterious stranger, and the coin rewards for the last one were: 45 Rathorian, 15 Gruul (who isn’t even one of the listed mercs for this bounty, and he wasn’t in my party, either) and 10 Vol’jin (who actually was in my party). The rewards for the previous runs were about the same. That’s really bad for something that takes 30 minutes+ and supposedly is the top end of normal content.
And from what I’ve seen so far, the rewards for heroics aren’t substantially better than for normal, either.

E: At least heroic seems to give somewhat better rewards, I got 50x Rathorian, 25 Mukla, 15 Anacondra, and 20 Lich King from heroic Rag.

MuLepton fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 24, 2021

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sounds like I made a good decision in passing entirely on Mercenaries. :unsmith:

for real, holy poo poo no game mode has turned me off Hearthstone quicker

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I like it to waste 10 minutes on my phone every now and then but that's about it.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Chernabog posted:

I like it to waste 10 minutes on my phone every now and then but that's about it.

The PVE farming is pretty fun in a "do the task list" kind of way.

But Mercs is a weird game mode to add to Hearthstone. I can see the game going the Marvel Puzzle Quest route of lots of PVP/PVE events with brand new gachas for the chase. And preorder bundles for new chase Mercs for the whales.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mercenaries mode is currently less than the sum of its parts but I still think it has a lot of potential if they add a lot more PvE content. I haven't really been tempted to PvP yet because I've watched some streams of it and apart from the really narrow meta I can't get over the fact that winning or losing comes down to a coinflip way too often.

I mean, sure, that happens in the card game sometimes too, but in Mercs you're dealing with 100% known information at all times. How do other gachas handle this? I've never tried any but I have the impression they have a few more mechanics or systems than what's currently in Mercs.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I'm not interested in Mercenaries, I don't like Battlegrounds, and I'm bored with Standard so I decided to play Wild for the first time.

Odd Questline Hunter is disgusting, at least at the rank where I am. I'm not a good player, but I just ticked off the 12 wins in a row achievement. The only game I lost was the first one I queued. I conceded when I realized that I accidentally stuck a 0 mana spell in so Baku didn't proc, ie before any cards were played.

Cant wait for the miniset.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

fanny packrat posted:

I'm not interested in Mercenaries, I don't like Battlegrounds, and I'm bored with Standard so I decided to play Wild for the first time.

Odd Questline Hunter is disgusting, at least at the rank where I am. I'm not a good player, but I just ticked off the 12 wins in a row achievement. The only game I lost was the first one I queued. I conceded when I realized that I accidentally stuck a 0 mana spell in so Baku didn't proc, ie before any cards were played.

Cant wait for the miniset.

Welcome to wild, where the most fun gameplay is!

The best part of wild is there's a zillion tier 2 decks you can ladder with to diamond 5 easily every month just based on a 55% winrate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Stormwind meta reminds me a lot of wild for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It's super simple, actually.

If you really want to play Mercenaries, you play PVP and buy packs.
If you don't want to buy packs, this mode has not been made to cater to you.

You have been showered with quick rewards and little progress bars going up really quickly to pull you in. Maybe you even finished the PvE story mode, but then all that's left is PvP. You want to progress your heroes to compete in PvP? Buy packs, enjoy the portraits.