Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

a neat cape posted:

They absolutely do. Allen didn't get Mahomes money

That's because Allen is a sweetie and in my eyes a being of pure light.

You can't exactly expect Baker Mayfield to underestimate his perceived value contract wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know the cap is crap and you can do crazy things like what the Saints did for years and what the Bucs are now doing to maximize the last years of a HoF QB’s career but who cares when the bill comes due you’re gonna suck anyway. But next year Mahomes cap hit explodes and I feel like that’s gonna be a bit of an issue.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Man Bradys cap hit remains under 30mil lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i heard mahomes cap hit is 69 thousand dollers!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man Bradys cap hit remains under 30mil lol

Team first, pro union. Truly a class act on top of being the best to ever do it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know the cap is crap and you can do crazy things like what the Saints did for years and what the Bucs are now doing to maximize the last years of a HoF QB’s career but who cares when the bill comes due you’re gonna suck anyway. But next year Mahomes cap hit explodes and I feel like that’s gonna be a bit of an issue.

His cap hit next year is 35 million which isn’t that bad, comparatively. 2023 is when it gets over 40 but Dak and Wilson are right there with him. Cap is estimated to be 208 million for 2022 and probably go up again in 2023 so I’m sure those teams will manage fine.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Rams have 33 million in cap space dedicated to Todd Gurley and Jared Goff this year. The cap isn’t real. It can’t hurt you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The cap should be destroyed

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a neat cape posted:

They absolutely do. Allen didn't get Mahomes money

Allen ain’t Mahomes. And he doesn’t have a SB ring.

Even though Baker is a tier below Dak, he’ll get almost Dak-money. And the Browns don’t have a choice.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe if the first halfway decent quarterback you've had in 30 years also is willing to play basically without a left shoulder to get your franchise some wins you should show just a touch more loyalty, Browns fans.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Baker: tie my left arm to my chest and I can catch the ball one handed from shotgun.

Browns fans: He's no David Carr I tell you whutt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

happy noodle boy was also willing to go out there in order to get the franchise some wins iirc

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I like my qb1 to have working labrums

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
*coughing up blood* "tell... Tell Cleveland I did my best."

"Yeah haha funny story Baker. Let's try gutekunst.b@packers.com..."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The fun thing is seeing how the Cardinals are doing since they immediately cut bait with Rosen & lucked out with Murray. The bigger question is if Cleveland will do the same if they ultimately think Baker can't get them over the hump (and I think he can).

Whatever you do, don't look at this year's QB draft class.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be funny seeing like seven teams convince themselves they can get Aaron Rodgers and then watch him stay with Green Bay.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Android Apocalypse posted:

The fun thing is seeing how the Cardinals are doing since they immediately cut bait with Rosen & lucked out with Murray. The bigger question is if Cleveland will do the same if they ultimately think Baker can't get them over the hump (and I think he can).

Whatever you do, don't look at this year's QB draft class.

Cards only cut bait because they had the first pick. If they were picking in the Daniel Jones range they'd likely have just brought Rosen back. Similar to how the Rams stuck with Goff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams have 33 million in cap space dedicated to Todd Gurley and Jared Goff this year. The cap isn’t real. It can’t hurt you.

I mean, the cap is absolutely real, it just matters less if you actually have a good GM who can draft well and successfully manage free agent contracts—which the Rams do. On the other end of the spectrum, the Lions are sitting in absolute cap hell, paying $57 million dollars to players who are no longer on the team, and that's before you get into the truly horrendous Trey Flowers and Halapoulivaati Vaitai contracts.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think like 4 years/$160m is a reasonable compromise between Baker and the Browns - not the highest paid but it hits that $40m per year line that Baker probably thinks he deserves. Face saving for both sides

Simplex posted:

Are you still going to have all that talent once you are paying Baker $30M/year?

think they would do this in a heartbeat

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 23, 2021

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My bad, I thought Allen's deal was $30M that balloons at the end with money he'll never see, but his cap hit is 40 starting in 2023. So my point about Baker still stands, just $40 million not $30 million.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
I mean, Baker at best would be the 3rd best QB in his own division and might very well end up being the worst if Rodgers ends up getting traded to the Steelers in the offseason. The AFC as a whole already has a disproportionately higher number of good QBs versus the NFC so it's also harder overall to even get a WC spot. It feels like with all the endorsements & commercials he has and all the superior QBs he has to compete against in his conference he might be willing to take a bit of a more team friendly deal to keep a more elite roster around him.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

If we have learned anything it’s that the cap is only real if your terribly incompotent.

At which point what does it matter

This baffles me because the Ravens are by far one of the most competent organizations in the NFL all around but every year they absolutely have lots of cap woes

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
In training camp, there were "rumors" from Bakers camp that he wasn't necessarily looking to be at the top of the market with a super long deal like Allen. So I think a 4 year, $40 per deal is absolutely on the table.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mystic Stylez posted:

This baffles me because the Ravens are by far one of the most competent organizations in the NFL all around but every year they absolutely have lots of cap woes

I think the Ravens are just less likely to do some of the voodoo accounting to mess with the cap number because it always comes due eventually. They are OK with being a little less flexible in the immediate term because it means they aren’t screwed in the long term.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Honestly, I think it's stubborn refusal to ever have a proper rebuilding year. Ravens like to be "in the mix" every year. Figure as long as you can make the playoffs you have a chance of winning it all. I suppose both the team's Superbowl runs sort of prove that out.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Honestly, I think it's stubborn refusal to ever have a proper rebuilding year. Ravens like to be "in the mix" every year. Figure as long as you can make the playoffs you have a chance of winning it all. I suppose both the team's Superbowl runs sort of prove that out.

Always Be Winning, though

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wonder what the odds are Sammy Watkins plays again this season

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
100%. Start for the first few weeks, take about 8 off for injury, then back in time for the home stretch and playoffs. This is how Watkins works.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Chiefs don't win that Super Bowl without Playoff Watkins

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

Playoff Frank Clark too but that doesn't mean either of these players can be counted on

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’ve noticed when Myles Garrett holds players only defense meetings they show up big the following game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Watkins held down the fort while Bateman was hurt. I'm guessing we will see him back after the bye.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

It’s true and losing Hunt in late 2018 and Watkins last year are the reasons for why their offense has become far less dynamic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Freaquency posted:

I think the Ravens are just less likely to do some of the voodoo accounting to mess with the cap number because it always comes due eventually. They are OK with being a little less flexible in the immediate term because it means they aren’t screwed in the long term.

They may come due someday but Jesus the Saints have been at it for a decade? And that’s an eternity in sports

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s true and losing Hunt in late 2018 and Watkins last year are the reasons for why their offense has become far less dynamic.

No it's the way defenses play against Mahomes now

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lots of panthers fans are excited they’re finally getting to see Christensen start at LT.

https://twitter.com/daringantt/status/1451966206588690438?s=21

This is going to be an ugly game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Last time we had a true rebuild year was 2002.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MartysaurusRex/status/1451961982391816202

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is this the background for why he basically shot his way out of Green Bay in 2017? It was so cool that he rejoined the Pats because of that situation but unfortunately he then got actually injured in a game immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if he is looking for understanding New England would be a bizarre choice