Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I just bought about 870 cars but I feel horrible about my carbon footprint. I really wish there was something that could be done to ease my guilt about my approximately 870 cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

“the future is female!”

monkeys paw finger curls

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I ate so much of that microwave popcorn poo poo as a kid. I would lick the bags

oh thank god there's another person out there who's done that as a kid. it wasn't just me!

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Lost Time posted:

Sounds bad

https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1451340454579122178

Otoh, lol lmao. This entire decade rest of my life is going to be lol lmao.

Fixed it for you

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

oh thank god there's another person out there who's done that as a kid. it wasn't just me!

I forgot about this, but I was a popcorn bag licker as a kid too haha. I don't recall the first time I had home popped popcorn that didn't come in individually portioned bags. In fact, I'm pretty sure I first attempted popping loose kernels in a pot only like 7 or 8 years ago.

Look up a recipe for fire corn if you want to be popcorn obsessed for a bit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmao right. our tiny developing brains reacted like chimpanzees to salt and fat

honestly I knew it was weird I felt self-conscious about doing it. I'm just bringing it up because those things were loving coated with PFAS and we were basically gobbling up the packaging

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My family reused the same disposable plastic water bottles for like fifteen years for taking water to bed and stuff.

There is absolute no way my brother and I weren't impacted.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anyone remember the pallets of plastic water bottles that were left in the sun after Puerto Rico got hurricaned?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i spent the first 20 years of my life chugging tap water in a region polka-dotted with dupont plants. i am so hosed lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Imagine the babies being born now. Rip

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Convenience stores here in Florida leave pallets of plastic 24 packs of water outside the front doors in the blistering heat and even long before the Revelations I could tell that wasn't doing anybody any favors

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

i microwaved broccoli in plastic tupperware for lunch

:getin:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I've always been a salt fiend. A friend in elementary school gave me a piece of rock salt he collected from outside kmart. I sat there and licked that thing during an assembly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I've always been a salt fiend. A friend in elementary school gave me a piece of rock salt he collected from outside kmart. I sat there and licked that thing during an assembly.

The boomers never knew how hosed up they were, but we do, lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

My roommate will lick bullion cubes as a treat.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1451601535205576712

quote:

But chances for success are slim; the approach faces significant legal, logistical and political challenges. The process of crafting regulations could take years and the conservative-leaning Supreme Court could overrule them or a future president could simply roll them back. And relying on states to amp up their clean energy laws just shifts the fight to statehouses for environmentalists and fossil fuel interests to battle it out on the local level.

“That mix of tax credits, and new federal regulations, and new state actions puts the target within reach. But there are a lot of ifs,” said John Larsen, an author of the Rhodium analysis. “You need states to up the ante on clean energy at a level they haven’t yet done. You need the Environmental Protection Agency to put regulations on every power plant in America in a way they haven’t yet done. And then you have to hope the Supreme Court doesn’t throw that out. Everything has to break in the right way.”

Now we're just waiting on the epa and the states to do something I guess? :iiam:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1451601535205576712

Now we're just waiting on the epa and the states to do something I guess? :iiam:

million to one odds, eh?

that just makes it a 90% chance

we've got this in the bag

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mawarannahr posted:

they probably don’t even do the a/b tests, or if they did they are guaranteed to have done them wrong. I don’t think anyone really does any good research at all in this area .

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/stephaniemlee/brian-wansink-cornell-p-hacking

don’t worry about it

Another p-hacker gets bitten in the nads. :qq: I remember when principle component analysis was a visualization tool during data cleanup, not the final step before publishing a paper.

gently caress, I'm old. :corsair:

If you want an interesting view on how sophisticated the manufactured food industry is I'd suggest Dr. Robert Lustig and his book "The Hacking the American Mind". Dr. Lustig is a pediatric endocrinologist who got interested in the obesity question, fell down the rabbit hole looking at mechanisms, then took a year off to get a masters in law because he knew they'd be coming for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkUtrL6B18

I think he was the one who talked about industry researchers sticking people in medical imaging devices and watching their brains while eating manufactured food. Given the money I don't doubt there's some highly sophisticated research behind this crap even if all it finally just comes down to "add more sugar and fat".

Never underestimate predatory capitalism.

sitchensis posted:

“the future is female!”

monkeys paw finger curls

Just need to release a bunch of sterile males into the population and the problems are solved. Wait, what was that about sperm counts?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I know deniers will never have an "I was wrong" moment but I wonder if climate scientists and educators who pushed the line that "the best thing you can do is vote at the ballot and with your wallet" will ever have that feeling.

Like, at a certain point the reassuring self delusion that we can all come together and do the right thing will have to give way to full crack ping, right? When we'll see more and more scientists openly declaring that the end is nigh and its too late to do anything about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Forget those guys, imagine what the dudes editing UN climate reports to make governments look less useless are feeling.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

Another p-hacker gets bitten in the nads. :qq: I remember when principle component analysis was a visualization tool during data cleanup, not the final step before publishing a paper.

gently caress, I'm old. :corsair:

If you want an interesting view on how sophisticated the manufactured food industry is I'd suggest Dr. Robert Lustig and his book "The Hacking the American Mind". Dr. Lustig is a pediatric endocrinologist who got interested in the obesity question, fell down the rabbit hole looking at mechanisms, then took a year off to get a masters in law because he knew they'd be coming for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkUtrL6B18

I think he was the one who talked about industry researchers sticking people in medical imaging devices and watching their brains while eating manufactured food. Given the money I don't doubt there's some highly sophisticated research behind this crap even if all it finally just comes down to "add more sugar and fat".

Never underestimate predatory capitalism.

Just need to release a bunch of sterile males into the population and the problems are solved. Wait, what was that about sperm counts?

was he the same scientist who had lobbyists turning up to his public lectures to heckle him and shout rude accusations, or was that a different guy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bowser posted:

I know deniers will never have an "I was wrong" moment but I wonder if climate scientists and educators who pushed the line that "the best thing you can do is vote at the ballot and with your wallet" will ever have that feeling.

Like, at a certain point the reassuring self delusion that we can all come together and do the right thing will have to give way to full crack ping, right? When we'll see more and more scientists openly declaring that the end is nigh and its too late to do anything about it.

just because you're expect at a science or education doesnt also make you an expert on politics.

i feel bad for a lot of those climate scientists who, foolishly thought that since the Democrats actually listen to the science, they'll have to do something meaningful because the science is so dire.

but instead, politics is about power not the most rational course of action. and power says gently caress the earth.

(the warning sign even for the politically naive was when Biden directly lied about climate science and falsely claimed that 0 scientists supported the GND)

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

don’t worry about brain imaging, that shits also not understood well enough and a ton of the research is bs. they make dead salmon brain light up too if you do the statistics wrong, and it can be a challenge to do the statistics right even if you want to due to limitations in tech and resources.

if you look at journals of consumer psychology and market research etc they’re filled with stupid designs and garbage results. capitalist has a hard time doing science because the way everything is structured in neoliberalism and the academic/professional world rewards doing bad work and punishes good work.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

yeah, there's a 100% chance that some snack food manufacturers have tried sticking people into a magnet to make pretty pictures of their brains while they were eating and a 0% chance they learned anything actually useful from the experience

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Extreme rain heads for California’s wildfire burn scars, raising risk of mudslides – this is what cascading climate disasters look like

hmm

things might be ...

no

things aren't that bad, yet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"That'll show them Hollywood Elites!" :clint:

(as the tornado siren sounds for the eighth time this week, on a Tuesday)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"That'll show them Hollywood Elites!" :clint:

(as the tornado siren sounds for the eighth time this week, on a Tuesday)

[editorial note: at the time this was written, it was not Tuesday. Anywhere]

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Also the biggest predictor of whether your kids will have autism is how close you live to a highway. While the noise pollution and gas fumes are being studied, the effects of inhaling powdered tires is unknown.

I mentioned this to my mom and she laughed, thinking I was joking. I lived my first years in a house on the Trans-Canada Highway, and I have autism.

It's possible that endocrine disruptors are correlated with having more 2SLGBT people - we know that twins are more likely to be gay or trans, and it's suspected to have something to do with hormones. It doesn't change anything about the rights that they deserve to have.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Did you hear that in twenty years the New York pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did you hear that in twenty years the New York pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities?

Love to be net zero instead of gross zero

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

number go up?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

If we're still on the plastics and obesity discussion, someone mentioned portion sizes going up. But why? Why did we suddenly want larger portions? Endocrine disruption of the signals that tell you you're full is one possibility.

Also the biggest predictor of whether your kids will have autism is how close you live to a highway. While the noise pollution and gas fumes are being studied, the effects of inhaling powdered tires is unknown.

does this use a DOT definition of highway? because if we include secondary highways, which are pretty much all roads maintained by the state, then a lot of people live less than a mile away from a highway.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

big popcorn got me too, gently caress

i still pop some on the stove like once a week these days

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1451907265515171844

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

bowser posted:

kind of amazed we haven't seen prominent scientists already doing some minecraft stuff

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1452236001942900743

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

scrolling the page while watching the graph on the left update, giggling like a maniac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

scrolling the page while watching the graph on the left update, giggling like a maniac

yeah i wanted to gif that. it's a good distillation of how hosed we are