Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think March 2017 was my first tournament watching, but I’m just going off memory since I don’t remember ever seeing Kise as anything but Yokozuna — that is an amazing suggestion and definitely what I’ll be aiming for :)

Beyond that I’m actually interested in anything pre-2017 for my own benefit so yeah, definitely open to suggestions :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG6Sjg4yTkY&hd=1

Typical Ichinojo, giving up as soon as he gets to the edge of the doyho

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Can you blame him? That much meat impacting the floor would probably bring the building down. Not to mention shatter all his bones.

(That video is super cute though!)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Martytoof posted:

I think March 2017 was my first tournament watching, but I’m just going off memory since I don’t remember ever seeing Kise as anything but Yokozuna — that is an amazing suggestion and definitely what I’ll be aiming for :)

Beyond that I’m actually interested in anything pre-2017 for my own benefit so yeah, definitely open to suggestions :)
Natsu 2012 is a good one with some twists and turns:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5-Sg9qYdqj2OB51-OM-p-Kb-phQHINdl

Kise vs Baruto on the final day is an all-timer just by itself.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 16, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Apraxin posted:

Here's a timestamped link to that one if people (like me) wanted to hunt it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyKnfetHmLg&t=540s

The whole last day is well worth watching but from a time:action standpoint I don't think I've ever seen a better match.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We started watching 2014 Haru yesterday which features such up and comers like Chiyomaru and Terunofuji’s first Maegashira appearance. Not sold on either of these guys but I’ll see if they make anything of themselves.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yokozuna chiyomaru

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He's already Yokozuna of my heart.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

If I recall correctly my first basho was around Baruto's last. Never really went back and watched his old matches, but I remember folks talking super fondly of him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Martytoof posted:

He's already Yokozuna of my kokoro*.

*Transalator's note: 'kokoro' means 'heart'.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Watching old Kintamayama videos only makes me more thankful that we have Natto. Nothing against Kinta's videos -- he did god's work to give us the sumo content we otherwise couldn't get, but the production values we have access to now are nothing short of amazing.

NHK should just hire Natto to do the official daily recaps.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Apraxin posted:

Natsu 2012 is a good one with some twists and turns:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5-Sg9qYdqj2OB51-OM-p-Kb-phQHINdl

Pro click this one, really enjoyed seeing some of the guys I'd missed out on like Kisenosato and all the older European rikishi, as well as younger versions of today's veterans!

One thing I noticed though was a few references to rikishi "crumbling" or comments about the number of slips - was there still a bit of a witch hunt back then over match fixing?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Pro click this one, really enjoyed seeing some of the guys I'd missed out on like Kisenosato and all the older European rikishi, as well as younger versions of today's veterans!

One thing I noticed though was a few references to rikishi "crumbling" or comments about the number of slips - was there still a bit of a witch hunt back then over match fixing?

The 2011 match-fixing would still have been fresh in everyone's minds.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Watching old Kintamayama videos only makes me more thankful that we have Natto. Nothing against Kinta's videos -- he did god's work to give us the sumo content we otherwise couldn't get, but the production values we have access to now are nothing short of amazing.

NHK should just hire Natto to do the official daily recaps.

Watching a kintamayama video is like posting on a forum. Sure there's slicker ways to post but something about a low effort sumo vid is nice to me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Sd8eJdTio

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That was good seeing the final day from September not only from a new angle but knowing that he'd already decided to retire. Squatting down taking the money for what he knew was his last time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Please don't humanize the man I've irrationally rooted against for four or five years now :mad:

I'm coming around now that he's not active

Also apropos of nothing above, can I say how weird it is watching Endo fight his first few bouts in makuuchi without a topknot because apparently his hair didn't grow fast enough? :lol:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A sad little What Might Have Been from that video: the guy who Hak bundles out for his first yusho there at the 10 second mark is sekiwake Miyabiyama, a former college prodigy who made ozeki in July 2000 after only 8 basho in makuuchi, then got demoted again after a lacklustre year and a half when a bad injury sidelined him for six months.

He spent the next five years bobbling around sekiwake/komusubi/M1 to 5 without putting another ozeki run together, until mid-2006, when after a 10-5 in March he put on an amazing 14-1 run for Natsu, beating all four of the current ozeki, and securing a play-off with the youngest of them, a new prodigy in his first basho as ozeki, who at that point had been runner-up four times but never quite managed to seal a victory.

Hakuho of course wins the play-off, but Miyabiyama recovers from the disappointment and after a shaky start in July he puts together another 10-5, for 44 wins across 3 basho, paving the way for a miracle ozeki repromotion, only the second time in sumo history it would have happened:

...and for the first time in 50 years, the Board declared 33+ wins to not be enough, and declined the promotion. He held on in makuuchi for another 7 years, but never put another run together again. I really think that if he'd taken that play-off, they wouldn't have been able to justify denying him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gotta share this promo new japan wrestler and huge sumo fan taichi cut after his last match in that company's big yearly league style tournament.

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1450994785393668098?s=20

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jason's All Sumo Channel is retiring :c

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh no! Jason was the best newbie intro to sumo. He's had a good run of it at least.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Jason's All Sumo Channel is retiring :c

Just once? Kintamayama retires 3 times a year.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

jmzero posted:

Just once? Kintamayama retires 3 times a year.

He says he's probably moving back to the US a year early due to IRL work stuff, so he'll be there for November and maybe January depending on his schedule.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kenning posted:

Oh no! Jason was the best newbie intro to sumo. He's had a good run of it at least.

i love his voice! also he hi-5'ed hakuho so i mean come on he is a legend

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thinking about that Tochinoshin

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He's so exceptionally large.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Huge guy, Tochinoshin

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Tochinoknee

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Pokemon is doing a bunch of sponsorship things for the next two basho: https://kotaku.com/the-pokemon-x-sumo-collab-weve-been-waiting-for-1847943551

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Banzuke this Monday, as I understand?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh poo poo you're right I need to finish + post the goonzuke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

In my defense a week after the basho ended I finally replaced my gaming PC and immediately forgot about all of my other responsibilities in favor of playing No Man's Sky.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

ilmucche posted:

Tochinoknee

harsh, but fair :smith:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kenning posted:

In my defense a week after the basho ended I finally replaced my gaming PC and immediately forgot about all of my other responsibilities in favor of playing No Man's Sky.

:hmmyes:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

Pokemon is doing a bunch of sponsorship things for the next two basho: https://kotaku.com/the-pokemon-x-sumo-collab-weve-been-waiting-for-1847943551

this is rad and there's no way they can't make a legendary pokemon called kaiju in teru's honour

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm gonna need a photo of Ichinojo and Snorlax together please.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I'm gonna need a photo of Ichinojo and Snorlax together please.

Now I want Nintendo to go full troll and buy Ichinojo a Snorlax kensho mawashi.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The link said Nintendo is planning to get kensho mawashi so the dream lives for at least 4 months.

There also is a sumo wrestler Pokemon

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

every heya should get an official pokemon assigned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gyoji in a special Pokémon outfit :vince: