Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Actual CoD-related hot take: CoD 2 sucks and literally everything it tries to do is clumsy and worse than either its predecessor or its direct successor, MW1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think COD campaigns are usually great. Always fun to shoot poo poo with nice set pieces and production values. The stories are always presented so poorly I barely know what's going on, but whatever. They are good for what they are, a fun way to kill 6 hours before you get into the multiplayer which is the bulk of the game.

I think they get a bad rap, because everyone was trying to capture CODs success in the early 2010s by completely saturating the shooter market with short, shooting gallery campaigns which led to a lot of people really hating that genre. But that style of game is extremely out of vogue now and COD is basically the only franchise still doing it. And it's nice to still have the option to just play through a little shooting gallery with a bunch of crazy poo poo going on. And COD always did that the best.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

Sorry you just don’t understand

https://i.imgur.com/EJxDxIU.gifv

wow a low-resolution gif in an overly beige setting, you sure did show me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

wow a low-resolution gif in an overly beige setting, you sure did show me

Life was just low resolution back then

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Thoughts on Wildermyth? I picked it up because it was on sale and had overwhelmingly positive reviews. I've played the first two chapters of the introductory campaign and while it's really well made it doesn't seem very deep to me. There's only three classes and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of character building, you just get presented three random options and you hope that you can build some kinda synergy? Items seem to be completely random too and a lot of the stuff I found was a downgrade, I even found an artifact that was crap compared to the regular stuff I had.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks, I'm not sure about it yet.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

jokes posted:

Life was just low resolution back then

I miss my life 800x600 life style

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Thoughts on Wildermyth? I picked it up because it was on sale and had overwhelmingly positive reviews. I've played the first two chapters of the introductory campaign and while it's really well made it doesn't seem very deep to me. There's only three classes and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of character building, you just get presented three random options and you hope that you can build some kinda synergy? Items seem to be completely random too and a lot of the stuff I found was a downgrade, I even found an artifact that was crap compared to the regular stuff I had.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks, I'm not sure about it yet.

Yeah pretty much. It’s more of a story simulator than a Combat Optimizer, but there are some great mods that increase the variety and stuff.

The combat is very “flat” in that you’re not going to be doing 50 damage later on by optimizing poo poo, you’ll still be doing a reliable 8 damage when you’re high level, but you’ll have a lot more tools to ensure your dudes survive (to continue their story).

That being said the combat system and everything are all very tight, but it is all a bit shallow compared to, like, XCOM.

Wildermyth rules though, I really really enjoyed it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

veni veni veni posted:

I think COD campaigns are usually great. Always fun to shoot poo poo with nice set pieces and production values. The stories are always presented so poorly I barely know what's going on, but whatever. They are good for what they are, a fun way to kill 6 hours before you get into the multiplayer which is the bulk of the game.

I think they get a bad rap, because everyone was trying to capture CODs success in the early 2010s by completely saturating the shooter market with short, shooting gallery campaigns which led to a lot of people really hating that genre. But that style of game is extremely out of vogue now and COD is basically the only franchise still doing it. And it's nice to still have the option to just play through a little shooting gallery with a bunch of crazy poo poo going on. And COD always did that the best.

It's kinda funny that goons nonetheless still lose their poo poo over Titanfall 2's campaign, because it's literally the same people making the same kind of campaign.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

It's kinda funny that goons nonetheless still lose their poo poo over Titanfall 2's campaign, because it's literally the same people making the same kind of campaign.

That's Stockholm syndrome. The FPS genre is so replete with uncreative bullshit that a single entry dedicating even 5% of its time to new things is considered revolutionary. Titanfall 2 was 95% the same uncreative bullshit that every other FPS has had for the last 20 years but broken up with the occasional interesting gimmick

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Yup, lol. I know people who loving hate COD and consider TF2 to be one of the best games ever. They do not like it if someone points out that it's basically a COD campaign made by the people who made COD. And that's not a knock on TF2. it is really great. The campaign does well exactly what COD does well (to varying degrees. There's been some lovely COD campaigns)

It's goons, to be blunt. COD is mainstream popular and goons have to hate the popular thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

Yup, lol. I know people who loving hate COD and consider TF2 to be one of the best games ever. They do not like it if someone points out that it's basically a COD campaign made by the people who made COD. And that's not a knock on TF2. it is really great. The campaign does well exactly what COD does well (to varying degrees. There's been some lovely COD campaigns)

It's goons, to be blunt. COD is mainstream popular and goons have to hate the popular thing.

Cod is also blatent mil-state propagandism whereas titanfall 2 u have a cool robot buddy

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Why didn't anybody tell me call of duty had giant robots you could ride around in

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fridge corn posted:

Cod is also blatent mil-state propagandism whereas titanfall 2 u have a cool robot buddy

that's Boston dynamics propaganda

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I think people who use the abbreviation TF2 for a game other than Team Fortress 2 need to be culled. There's no place for you in society you monster! Okay okay I'll let you live but you're on thin ice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

John Murdoch posted:

Does it matter if it's the same people and/or the same kind of campaign?

It's just better, which is why people like it more. And I generally like CoD campaigns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It's not to the degree that the people in a certain other thread make it out to be. Yeah, sure. The nature of it could be seen as propaganda in the same way any movie about badass soldiers is, but 90% of the pearl clutching in the PS thread over COD is just people making poo poo up and making assumptions about a game they clearly don't play.

Duck and Cover posted:

I think people who use the abbreviation TF2 for a game other than Team Fortress 2 need to be culled. There's no place for you in society you monster! Okay okay I'll let you live but you're on thin ice.

I have played Team Fortess 2 for maybe 40 hours and Titanfall 2 for like 800 so Titanfall wins

I guess it could just be called T2. I don't think anything else is using that abbreviation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Play posted:

Does it matter if it's the same people and/or the same kind of campaign?

It's just better, which is why people like it more. And I generally like CoD campaigns.

it is better. Titanfall 2 was probably better than any COD. it's no surprise people like it more, but it funny that people that claim COD is terrible also often think TF2 is great when they are extremely similar in style and level of quality. Giant Robots and advanced movement done right does go a long way though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

veni veni veni posted:

I guess it could just be called T2. I don't think anything else is using that abbreviation.

v I know

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was the joke I was attempting

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Edit: Nevermind

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Titanfall has had the good graces to only have 2 games and be quiet about it, Call of Duty, I mean do I have to say it at this point, It's a meme. Plus Activision is a dogshit company whose corporate culture poisoned Blizzard (or maybe helped the already existing rot show through more, idk) So hating CoD is cool and good and has nothing to do with antipopularity

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I really wanted to play that space Call of Duty. Infinity something I think. But then the sound didn't work, v disappointing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's not to the degree that the people in a certain other thread make it out to be. Yeah, sure. The nature of it could be seen as propaganda in the same way any movie about badass soldiers is, but 90% of the pearl clutching in the PS thread over COD is just people making poo poo up and making assumptions about a game they clearly don't play.

I have played Team Fortess 2 for maybe 40 hours and Titanfall 2 for like 800 so Titanfall wins

Uh, veni? The infinitely better robots from Terminator 2 are at the front door, they say they want to talk to you

No but really T2 I think is a fine abbreviation for your mediocre video game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Play posted:

I really wanted to play that space Call of Duty. Infinity something I think. But then the sound didn't work, v disappointing

I wanted to play the extremely underrated Syndicate fps but its just hosed these days and has an unfixed bug that means it crashes instantly :cry:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Archer666 posted:

I miss my life 800x600 life style

Even though I had a decent Pentium and a 3DFX card and a 56k modem I played Quake Deathmatch in 640*480 for max performance so I could destroy everyone in multiplayer.

Then a few years later I bought a dreamcast and I could win at Quake III just by using a mouse and keyboard which was pretty funny, if boring.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is CoD the one where it displays inspirational quotes from Dick Cheney

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me Apex Legends not having Q be ultimate is bad. Like I get it you're dumb and have never made a video game before, but when that's the case you should maybe think about copying the big boy companies who understand ultimate is Q. Z? What the gently caress is that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me Apex Legends not having Q be ultimate is bad. Like I get it you're dumb and have never made a video game before, but when that's the case you should maybe think about copying the big boy companies who understand ultimate is Q. Z? What the gently caress is that?

'Ultimates' which you learn at lvl6 are bound to R, you nonce. Q is obviously lean left.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I miss when buttons stood for things.

R stood for Reload, B stood for Backpack or Build. I for inventory.

Nowadays everything is ergonomic and makes sense. It makes no sense!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And Y stood for ywalknorthwest

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

c is for cneak

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mescal posted:

c is for cneak

ctrl is crouch, meaning you need to have good control of your legs!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

W is for walking forward
A is for Ay I’m walking here, to the left actually
S is for Say, I’m moving backwards now
D is for Droit which is French for “right”

T is for Tell everyone how horrible you are
Y is for Yell at everyone about how horrible you are

M is for Map

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
binding chat to T/Y instead of enter/shift+enter is for idiots and maniacs

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

ctrl is crouch, meaning you need to have good control of your legs!

Yeah I've always used ctrl for crouch, though the fact that it's usually default bound to C makes me feel like an odd one out. Was there some early game that defaulted it to ctrl and put this idea in my head?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
"Better" graphics almost always make for worse gameplay and a lack of visual clarity.

Fidelity at the cost of fun is loving stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A - ttack
B - oard
C - ast
D - escend
E - nter
F - ire cannon
G - et
H - ole up and camp
I - gnite
J - immy Lock
K - limb
L - ocate position
M - ix reagents
N - ew order
O - pen
P - eer at a gem
Q - uit and save
R - eady weapon
S - earch
T - alk
U - se
V - olume
W - ear armor
X - it
Y - ell
Z - tats

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chocobo posted:

"Better" graphics almost always make for worse gameplay and a lack of visual clarity.

Fidelity at the cost of fun is loving stupid.

This s a huge problem with modern immersive sims. It's easy to find items or switches in deus ex or system shock. Games like dishonored are so filled with visually distracting junk they feel the need to add things like highlights which look horrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adding a button to let you send out a pulse to find things in the environment isn't a perfect solution, but it's better than everything being highlighted all of the time or everything being impossible to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Adding a button to let you send out a pulse to find things in the environment isn't a perfect solution, but it's better than everything being highlighted all of the time or everything being impossible to find.

I really like Control's solution to this. It overlays a small white dot over any interactable object nearby, with a little eye-catching animation when it appears so you don't miss it. Making it a UI overlay makes it both easier to spot and less disruptive to the scene's actual visuals.