Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Jetto Jagga posted:

It reminds me of how great CHUD patriot fiction is, where the prologue will gravely intone, "When North Korea took Hawaii in '24, the Democrats held fast against a military response," that beautiful disconnect between the attempt at GRITTY REALISM brought to life by a child playing with crayons

tbh I think their insanely simplistic worldview is the reason why right wingers end up making surprisingly fun stupid action movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1451327755950379013

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lmao they really brought him back in endgame for nothing

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/mellon_heads/status/1450782780514832384

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Who is that smooth Saiyan?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im gonna be pissed if they just got him to be a human instead of gluing a bunch of poo poo on his head to make a new canonical weed alien

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Snoop won't even be part of the episode story, they're gonna just drive by him and the camera will linger long enough for him to go "I'm Jizzo Bluntblaster and I love space weed" before spending five minutes taking a giant hit of a stormtrooper helmet shaped bong.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

oh my god. whjat if baby yoda smoked weed

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Farm Frenzy posted:

oh my god. whjat if baby yoda smoked weed

BY: "I am weed"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dune pretty, Dune uhhhh meh

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

KidDynamite posted:

Dune pretty, Dune uhhhh meh

Yep

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Enjoyed the loving hell out of Dune

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've discovered cronenberg

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lmao looking like its gonna make 30 million. hosed up. the only reason they're saying it will get a sequel is because they're worried people might not go see it otherwise

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
there weren't any guild navigators in 2021 dune, whereas david lynch dune had an extended sequence of a guild navigator (who looked like a giant hosed-up space manatee in a tank of liquid). lynch's navigator calculated ftl routes by shooting lasers out of its rear end

there were other differences too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Judakel posted:

lmao looking like its gonna make 30 million. hosed up. the only reason they're saying it will get a sequel is because they're worried people might not go see it otherwise

it hasn’t even made its production budget back yet according to wiki. it probably will this weekend though

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
overall, i can't say i was blown away by the new dune. the special effects were amazing, by any standard, but the screenplay exaggerated all of herbert's worst tendencies, namely how the characters are total blank slates who just act for the sake of the plot. it didn't help that villeneuve dropped most of the interesting weirdness of the dune universe, e.g. mentats, the butlerian jihad, guild navigators, etc. it made the movie more accessible but at the expense of some idiosyncracy

i can't remember if the harkonnens were as one-dimensional in the book as they were here, but they were very one-dimensional. just pure mustache-twirling villains

as indigi said, they probably should've been more judicious with what to cut from the book. drop the whole dr. yueh betrayal plot and put more focus on the political situation or something, idk

one thing i don't remember from the book (i read it over 10 years ago) is why did the harkonnens and the sardaukar invade arrakis in the first place? i thought the whole plan was to set the atreides up to fail by giving them busted-rear end equipment and impossible quotas. that never really... happened. instead, they just flew in on landing ships and killed everybody

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

overall, i can't say i was blown away by the new dune. the special effects were amazing, by any standard, but the screenplay exaggerated all of herbert's worst tendencies, namely how the characters are total blank slates who just act for the sake of the plot. it didn't help that villeneuve dropped most of the interesting weirdness of the dune universe, e.g. mentats, the butlerian jihad, guild navigators, etc. it made the movie more accessible but at the expense of some idiosyncracy

i can't remember if the harkonnens were as one-dimensional in the book as they were here, but they were very one-dimensional. just pure mustache-twirling villains

as indigi said, they probably should've been more judicious with what to cut from the book. drop the whole dr. yueh betrayal plot and put more focus on the political situation or something, idk

one thing i don't remember from the book (i read it over 10 years ago) is why did the harkonnens and the sardaukar invade arrakis in the first place? i thought the whole plan was to set the atreides up to fail by giving them busted-rear end equipment and impossible quotas. that never really... happened. instead, they just flew in on landing ships and killed everybody

i havent watched the movie but harkonnen was as one dimensional as villains get in the book. hes supposed to be the most wretched, disgusting, and evil person imaginable

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

iirc, its been a while since I read but in the books it’s implied that Leto’s plan might have been to marry Irulan to establish Atreides as the next imperial house, and he was going around gauging his support for this among the other houses before the novel started. it is explicit however that he was a very popular figure, and the Emperor felt threatened enough that he gave Harkonnen his sardaukar to make absolutely 100% sure that Leto ended up dead. the sabotage is basically a decoy so that the Atreides focused on finding spies and saboteurs rather than preparing for a direct assault

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just watched Miami Vice (2006) and why the gently caress do the guns sound like that in the final shoot out? Who hosed over Micheal Mann?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
by the way, i feel like i see a covid analogy in the baron harkonnen assassination scene. duke leto poisons almost everyone in the room... but the baron survives due to access to the oily black goop/adrenochrome bath. feels similar to the superdrugs that trump and abbott get dibs on that let them survive covid

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Dune 2021 is packed full of nice touches hinting at the previous attempts to film Dune by Jodorowsky and Lynch.

Dune 2021 and 1984 have similar expository scenes with the Atreides receiving the message from the Emperor and the Emperor receiving the threat from the spacing guild.

Giedi Prime seemed very inspired by the Jodorowsky concept art.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i enjoyed it but the movie's aesthetic hews to 201X scandinavian minimalism that's become ubiquitous in "dumb smart" films (e.g., all nolan movies)

the japandi aesthetic (look it up) is so common with how friends setup their homes these days it's eye rolling

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shrike82 posted:

i enjoyed it but the movie's aesthetic hews to 201X scandinavian minimalism that's become ubiquitous in "dumb smart" films (e.g., all nolan movies)
This might be due to a disconnect between actual Scandinavian design and international "Scandinavian" design, but I don't see it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the ornithopters were awesome and the sardaukar were scary as gently caress

i thought timotheee was a good paul, exceeded my expectations

that's my dune review

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
oh and they clearly caught momoa in between training cycles or something, dude looked bloated as hell in some of his later scenes

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Laterite posted:

the ornithopters were awesome and the sardaukar were scary as gently caress

i thought timotheee was a good paul, exceeded my expectations

that's my dune review

Timothee chalamets Paul is inferior to Kyle MacLachlans imo. He's not boyish or anything at all, he's already some kind of autistic potential school shooter. It doesn't vibe well imo.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think Dunc really dropped the ball in how it basically ignored the, I don’t know, cultural?, aspects of the setting. Things like Mentats and no computers and the weird hosed up way space feudalism works weren’t just there to be weird. They were really integral to understanding how these people think and why they act the way they do.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like the dragonfly helicopters but that and the crucifixions were the only imaginative bits, it didn't really add anything unlike lynch dune which had loads of iconic stuff in it I didn't realise was from that film not the books

The atreides get double teamed by the Emperor and the harkonnens coz Leto is making an army that can actually fight, which only the Emperor has with his crazy sardaukar.
The new movie kinda obscures this by making all the armies monochrome power rangers who seem roughly as good as eachother.
The harkonnen forces are meant to be complete garbage who only win because of the hyperelite sardaukar who in turn get completely dumpstered by the ultraelite fremen

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

I think Dunc really dropped the ball in how it basically ignored the, I don’t know, cultural?, aspects of the setting. Things like Mentats and no computers and the weird hosed up way space feudalism works weren’t just there to be weird. They were really integral to understanding how these people think and why they act the way they do.

Those things are all totally normal and taken for granted in Dune society. It made sense not to focus on such.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Dune movie is as good if not better than any movie that will ever get made these days. I think people don't realize that the scope of the movie legitimately only covers less than half of the first book. There were no serious Fremen on Sardukar battles at that point and every faction was trying to play their hand somewhat close to their chest. BG doesn't want anyone to know about the voice or pussy kung fu unless absolutely necessary. Fremen want the harkonens to think there are 5,000 of them not 50,000,000. Kinda glad the movie doesn't explain everything because there's a lot to explain and in the book it's mostly done via "voice over" or omniscient narration.

Also tracking the financials is some real econ 101 poo poo because all of the variables have been turned on their head and I would never expect anyone's analysis to be able to account for what the delta variant + hbo release is going to do to the numbers

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Oct 23, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Dune movie is as good if not better than any movie that will ever get made these days. I think people don't realize that the scope of the movie legitimately only covers less than half of the first book. There were no serious Fremen on Sardukar battles at that point and every faction was trying to play their hand someone close to their chest. BG doesn't want anyone to know about the voice or pussy kung fu unless absolutely necessary. Fremen want the harkonens to think there are 5,000 of them not 50,000,000. Kinda glad the movie doesn't explain everything because there's a lot to explain and in the book it's mostly done via "voice over" or omniscient narration.

Also tracking the financials is some real econ 101 poo poo because all of the variables have been turned on their head and I would never expect anyone's analysis to be able to account for what the delta variant + hbo release is going to do to the numbers
Ah yes, narration, the killing word

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i feel like they did a good job of dropping in little details that book readers would notice while keeping it accessible to the normies. not much wordy exposition except for when Paul is studying his educational film strips about Arrakis.

like how all the Fremen cut themselves with their knives before they sheath them.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It'll be cool when they adapt the later novels without any futars or sex priestesses.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i kinda disagree that the movie condenses the essence of the universe

throwing out a lot of the background scenes makes the movie lose the weirdass feudal mysticism that permeates the setting

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

i feel like they did a good job of dropping in little details that book readers would notice while keeping it accessible to the normies. not much wordy exposition except for when Paul is studying his educational film strips about Arrakis.

like how all the Fremen cut themselves with their knives before they sheath them.

Agreed. Denis Villeneuve has jammed heaps of foreshadowing and heaps of little winks to those that have read the books into the visuals and editing. It's an amazing achievement, an actual good Dune movie.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
yeah i was really surprised how much book/lore stuff they put in the film. there was a whole heap of stuff i was expecting them to ignore or put into part 2. i was a little worried about the adaptation based on the trailers and a general fondness for the weirdness of the lynch version but it all works really well when in the context of the whole film. it felt like someone had mandated a 2.5 hour runtime, though, and i'd love maybe 15-20 minutes to flesh out some stuff and ease up on how sudden some of the editing is.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it was awesome. I think if you didnt like it youre probably a little baby who doesnt like anything. finally an epic that isnt a star wars or marvel trash. over 2 hour movie that felt short. wife and I loved it. perfect, no, but about as good as it could be. loved the design of pretty much everything, which I was surprised by because it didnt pop to me in the pictures, but everything worked really well in motion. I just wish the dumbasses at the studio let them film the next one so we could watch it soon rather than in like 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/riversvevo/status/1451459361168142336?s=21