Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

porfiria posted:

Was Thufir fat so they wouldn't be accused of being anti-fat?

I......uh.....highly doubt that was the motivation behind the casting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know anything about Dune, but I'm assuming that spice is worm poo poo.

Movie kinda meh. Expected more screen time for the big names. Felt like they had to cram too much poo poo in to hit all the things and didn't give those things enough time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think I know how hardcore Tolkien nerds must have felt watching Jackson's LOTR.

DUNC is a very good movie, the visuals and the sound are spectacular and there are a ton of great performances. I liked a lot of the choices they made and most of the differences from the books made sense, but a few choices really bug me for autistic goony nerd reasons. The ending is the biggest weakness, for what's supposed to be the climax of the film I felt they left out a lot of the emotional context from the novel and it ultimately felt tacked on and rushed.

Again this is a very good movie with a lot of excellent stuff going on. I need to watch it again, several times.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh yeah the whole first hour "bro we better prepare harkonnon gonna be pissed we got arrakis and they're gonna come at us" and then they get caught completely off guard with their full rear end in a top hat exposed

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

This movie loving rules

Dunc good

Make part 2 cowards

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know anything about Dune, but I'm assuming that spice is worm poo poo.

Baby worm poo poo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Oh yeah the whole first hour "bro we better prepare harkonnon gonna be pissed we got arrakis and they're gonna come at us" and then they get caught completely off guard with their full rear end in a top hat exposed

Book accurate

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

These books must be insane, I guess I have to go back in time and read them when I was 12 to make this movie make me want to see the sequel.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

I don’t understand why people are saying this movie has great visuals. Everything is grey and brown with all the color sucked out. Even Calidan is all grey. Even worse half the movie is so goddamn dark you can’t see a goddamn thing.

I don’t think the movie is terrible otherwise but I much prefer the glorious train wreck that is David Lynch’s Dune.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Going to see it again on Sunday with my best friend on IMAX. He keeps trying to tell me it'll be fine to watch at the local theater on the normal screen because he's broke and I'm going "NO, you WILL see this in IMAX. I will buy the tickets, I will drive so you don't have to worry about gas, I will even buy you popcorn and a drink." Because that's the proper way to experience DUNC

gently caress the haters. May your knives chip and shatter.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

First time I've been in a movie theatre in like two years and good Lord it was fantastic. I am profoundly moved!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Listen, I love YA stories about a Mary Sue character living up to his birthright by taming the natives and becoming their hero through the glories of colonialism as much as anyone.

but Batista and Momoa never fighting each other is the most fireworks factory poo poo

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

phasmid posted:

Show her the "Prologue" narrated by Herbert for TV. That's what I watched beforehand to set me up for it. Bonus, it has all the weird Toto music.

Watch the Spicediver fan edition, best of all worlds.

Worlds in which it does not rain on Arrakis.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Watched it tonight. Is good

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Oh yeah, the sandcrawlers are very much a reference to the RTS games, as are several parts of the score.

I didn't notice the first as being all that similar, and I really doubt the latter. I'm mildly obsessed with Klepacki's scores to the Westwood games and I never noticed any callbacks in Zimmer's OST.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

jeeves posted:

Watch the Spicediver fan edition, best of all worlds.

Worlds in which it does not rain on Arrakis.

why should I do that?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol my wife hasn't read the book and spent all forty hours of this movie with absolutely no clue what the gently caress was going on. just absolutely zero attempt to string scenes and dialogue together into anything coherent

SeldomSeen posted:

I don’t understand why people are saying this movie has great visuals. Everything is grey and brown with all the color sucked out. Even Calidan is all grey. Even worse half the movie is so goddamn dark you can’t see a goddamn thing.
The dragonfly ornithopters kicked rear end. Oh and I guess the assorted blimp things. They put their one really hot poo poo designer on airplane duty and for the rest of the movie had to make do with beige polygons and whatever extra costumes Marvel was throwing out

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 23, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

For real, I want to know more about these space desert nomads who number in the millions yet live completely underground and off the grid and have no access to trade or civilization and their only resource is sand and worm poo poo and whose entire existence depends on each one of them having an extremely high-tech water recycling suit

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Frank Herbert agrees but tragically nobody who wants to make a Dune movie does

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i liked how the sand tool thing looked like a worm. dunno why i'm spoiling this but i am

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Worm will never be big enough, but appreciation for the desert mouse.

It's the small things

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If that's as far as they got with part 1, they're gonna need like 3 more movies to wrap up just the first book

Also where is fade

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I feel like they condensed Feyd and Rabban into that one MMA dude who looks constipated all the time

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Lovely Feyd doesn't really do much in the book until the gladiator arena which is right in the middle. It would make tons of sense to save him and introduce him in the second film.

Merging him with Rabban works too but I don't think we can say one way or the other which way they might be leaning for the sequel

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

For a movie set in the desert it sure is dim. I don't think I saw the sun once. Everybody was dark, in shadow, on dark dim backgrounds. Was this movie even lit? The nighttime worm scene was far darker than it was in the trailer. The deep desert with two full moons should not be that dark. And scenes like where they fly above the storm could have been a chance to show clear sky, blazing sun, etc, but no even there it's just hazy dustiness. I found it super draining and exhausting. Daytime scenes never felt HOT. No heat waves, no sun, no clear shots, always dim. Nobody felt thirsty or dehydrated at all. Like, for all the world building that's in the movie, this is where we're only told how little water people have, but not shown it. Some real water fat fremen here.

The score felt misplaced in some scenes and the ancient wailing was overdone. I felt the movie dragging in the last half hour especially. I checked my watch to see how much longer was left.

However, I really liked all the visual world building. And some things we're understandably streamlined. Mentats and Suk conditioning and stuff like that don't need to be fleshed out to the same point as the bene gesserit because they don't have nearly the same impact on the story, they're just weirdness that exists in this universe. And I thought the movie was successful in getting across the bene gesserit's planting of the superstitions and hey, maybe Paul's rise in leadership might not be the best thing. His freakout in the tent was about half intelligible but a few words like "holy war in my name" got through. BUT not nearly shown enough of the universe-spanning slaughter he sees, him looking down on some soldiers doesn't cut it.

In fact everybody's dialogue was about half-intelligible. So much whispering and mumble mouthing with a score absolutely cranked behind them. So loving loud, Jesus. I had to half plug my ears in some parts.

I don't think the movie was successful in getting across what's going on politically. Having the emperor mentioned, but not shown, doesn't help.
The fremen themselves are pretty surface level. Keynes was wasted.

Best scene in the movie is the spice harvester rescue. It was genuinely suspenseful. Best shot of the movie was the harvester being swallowed. But the impact of Leto saying screw the spice, get the men was non-existent. Some dialogue between two characters after could have gone a long way towards that. Between, I dunno, Keynes and Gurney or something.

Yueh's wife is gonna stick with me for a while. Gross.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the black->white->gold->red of the magnum opus is open palm slammed into your eyeballs almost every single scene and represents the transmutation of paul from unrefined base matter into what he's going to become. For example in the scene with the two seater ornthopter that has yellow windows or the colors in the tent scene or his marvel power armor is gold. The sardaukar armor colors, the harkkonen, the baron's suspensors, the spice, the blood. The baron's pool of black motor oil scene? That's fuckin alchemy they're doing alchemy on him to fix his sick nasty bod. The rapidly shifting colors of the shields, and the lasers and the atreides banners are the peacock's tail. The harkonnen pet is going to be black and the attendants dressed in white, there's no way they could have been a different color scheme. The reverend mother basically has to be pale but veiled in black, the bene geserit are a step upwards but hiding in the secrecy of a lower stage. Same thing with the costumes of the guild and the landsraad representatives and imperial agent, their power is represented by the colors of their costume. The bene geserit in that scene is dressed like that and directly manipulates wax the color it is for this same specific reason.

And over and over again people pass through circular openings which are the mouth of Shai-Hulud remaking the world. The worms are alchemical vessels. A purposefully alchemical movie that's all about psychological and physical transformations.

Also the written script sorta reminds me of armenian and i wonder if this is on purpose because of the color of pomegranates

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 23, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

stratdax posted:

In fact everybody's dialogue was about half-intelligible. So much whispering and mumble mouthing with a score absolutely cranked behind them. So loving loud, Jesus. I had to half plug my ears in some parts.

yeah what the gently caress is going on with this poo poo, it's in every fuckin movie and show, and i'm over here trying to rig up the goddamn smart tv settings to puke out something that makes sense every single time i turn it on. Watched it with fuckin subtitles lol. Like do i need to buy real speakers or something what the hell.

Christ i must be old and going deaf

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Frankenstyle posted:

I haven't read every post, so I'm probably not the only one to notice that the Baron felt like an homage to Brando in Apocalypse Now in a very good way.

If they wanted him to look like he'd rather be anywhere but this set, they sure nailed it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I legitimately love how Villeneuve portrays the sardukar. Big time viking inspirations, but ngl also big time US spec-ops vibes. Like the feral vibe of spec ops with aesthetic viking and roman influences? That was my read anyway.

On communication battle language and hand-signalling, and generally being willing to engage with the non-standard communication schemes present in the book, was awesome

stuff i liked least- Baron was kinda bad to me. Really bland sociopath thing, next to no scheming, just extreme cold outward brutality. Visually he's fine, and The wider social Harkonnen stuff is absolutely brilliant and I understand that the flamboyant Baron of book and prior media is kind of a huge mismatch in tone for the rest of the movie, and I honestly love the tone. I feel like they went too hard in stripping all of that out, though. Like the humanity is utterly stripped out of the whole thing, and the harkonnen have shifted from their more human book roots into a relatively alien force of cruelty. This is my biggest issue w/ the film, but it does feel like a pretty natural place for them to end up story-wise when the tone of everything else is as muted and brutal as the rest of the movie really is. The movie is loving great, this doesn't really change that.

Overall, I honestly wish the movie was longer, or there was more material. I don't hold out hope for extended stuff, it doesn't seem like villeneuve's game to gently caress w/ different cut releases. Was hoping the movie would end around the end of the fall of Arakeen, and yeah basically letting the movie take its time getting around, but that would turn dune into a 3+ parter at that pace

a miniseries would've been nice but I legitimately don't know many people or groups that even come close to Villeneuve for quality of vision and execution of something, and i am not sure we can do better for finding someone that likes and cares about the source material. I'm glad he loves the series and got his hands on adapting it, because it was gonna take some kind of talent and budget to pull it off, and tv doesn't have anyone like that right now, do they? Like I know for god drat sure the folks that made GoT for the 2nd half of that run should never be allowed anywhere near it lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So good. So big. So loud.

So good.

:boom: gently caress! :boom:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

stratdax posted:

The nighttime worm scene was far darker than it was in the trailer.

This was purposeful to keep continuity with the sun coming up gradually over the last 30 mins of the film and when I realized it I almost loud slowclapped.

All the action on Dune happens at night. HELL YES.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/anguirus42/status/1451765394562244611?s=20

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
now do that for climbing cliffs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I feel like i'm gonna have to watch this thing a couple times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TOMORROW MOTHERFCKERS

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its best on the 3rd watch. i got bored of the music by 5th time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
2x theaters 3x hbo, dont watch on hbo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Riot Bimbo posted:

stuff i liked least- Baron was kinda bad to me. Really bland sociopath thing, next to no scheming, just extreme cold outward brutality. Visually he's fine, and The wider social Harkonnen stuff is absolutely brilliant and I understand that the flamboyant Baron of book and prior media is kind of a huge mismatch in tone for the rest of the movie, and I honestly love the tone. I feel like they went too hard in stripping all of that out, though. Like the humanity is utterly stripped out of the whole thing, and the harkonnen have shifted from their more human book roots into a relatively alien force of cruelty. This is my biggest issue w/ the film, but it does feel like a pretty natural place for them to end up story-wise when the tone of everything else is as muted and brutal as the rest of the movie really is. The movie is loving great, this doesn't really change that.

"To attempt an understanding of Muad'Dib without understanding his mortal enemies, the Harkonnens, is to attempt seeing Truth without knowing Falsehood. It is the attempt to see the Light without knowing Darkness. It cannot be."

The lack of emphasis on the Harkonnen was - ironically - the weakest point. Denis should have remembered that the harsher the light, the stronger the shadow.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I feel like i'm gonna have to watch this thing a couple times.

Fuckin' Amen. I haven't anticipated a movie like this since The Dark Knight and it honestly feels the same.

e. Ahhhh I'm trying to find a scene from Ronin on Youtube but I can't. Everyone watch Ronin. Do it.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 23, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the music was so rad. the off-kilter drum beat poo poo is so my jam

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was rad first viewing and kinda less so by 5th

6th-8th tomorrow here we come

Adbot