Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Faillen Angel posted:

I think the only reason you can't support Gunter in Revelation is because you're basically guaranteed to have an S-Rank open with him before you get other party members and Gunter Kana, as mentioned, sucks.

Gunter should totally have like all 70 growths but an unremovable skill that halves them.

I think he gets one after he stops being traitor mcbaddy though. It kiiiind of spoiled that arc a bit that he didn't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The thing that Birthright kinda glosses over is that since Corrin and Azura never go there, Gunter is kinda stuck there... forever.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Or dead. The locals ain't exactly friendly.

Which brings up a fun point from that last map: Corn flakes goes through a portal to a mysterious land and murders a bunch of "invaders." Guess they have a bit more slime daddy in them than they want to admit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you should feel bad for typing that sentence

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You know who else has a bit of slime daddy in them? *spins around chair and sits in it* Us. Folks, Jesus is

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

SoundwaveAU posted:

I don't think "We've got trouble!" became a meme because it was a bad line read, I thought it became a meme because it was cute.
Oh, maybe, I googled "we've got trouble" to see what people thought of it at the time and the only thing I found was a gameFAQs thread full of people that hated it, but I guess that's on me for reading anything anyone posted on a gameFAQs thread.

FoolyCharged posted:

They... weren't so fixed and would alter based in incredibly weird, obtuse and completely opaque mechanics including what weapons you had used.

E:
oh and I forgot it was new game+ for whatever reason.
I remember fixed mode and how weird it was. For some reason giving Makalov 1 BEXP at a time from 0 to 100 would guarantee him a str/spd/def level, and I may have spent 10 minutes of my life doing that to make him good. It wasn't worth it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The thing that Birthright kinda glosses over is that since Corrin and Azura never go there, Gunter is kinda stuck there... forever.
Azura says she spend time visiting him and teaching him how to survive before she joined your army, so at the very least he's likely still alive in Birthright. I don't know why she never taught him how to escape though.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

The quest to put Garon on a chair begins. "Invasion" is a slightly confusing title considering the optinal castle battles are also called invasions. I don't even think we manage to do any invading this chapter.

Garon's plan is to send Corrin over to invade and then maybe help her later if he feels like it. I think this is just yet another step in his "get Corrin killed" scheme, it doesn't seem like a very sound plan for an invasion.

Deployment slots are getting tight... Some of my units have mostly useless support partners that can be dropped as soon as they hit S rank, but I really could do with a couple more slots... or less units. Keaton has to stay behind to make room for Felicia, Leo's support partner. Hopefully I can marry off Odin and ditch Nyx as soon as I'm done with this.

But who needs other units when we have this guy? Remember Gunter? Yeah he's old news. Xander is Gunter but better. Amazing base stats, super cool personal weapon, and actual growth rates too. His one problem is that unlike his siblings, I'm pretty sure Xander has no funky internal level shenanigans that give him better EXP gain than you'd expect. He's not going to earn EXP from defeating anybody.

Every game has its boat map, and this is Conquest's. Although unlike nearly every other boat map there's only one boat, and no fliers to harass you. Just like the last two, this chapter's got a defeat boss objective... but where are they?

One of these green units is actually the boss in disguise. You have to talk to each one in turn to find the impostor, and it'll always be the last one you try. They won't move and all the enemies will ignore them, so you don't have to worry about saving them. Which is good because otherwise they'd all die turn 1.

While the left side of the map is a mix of Fighters and Mages, the right side is a mess of status staves and effective weaponry. These two Adventurers won't move but they will harass you with staves from a distance. There's also a mix of Armourslayer and Wyrmslayer wielding mercs among them, so be careful about who you send to fight them.

The impostor is not among them, therefore they must be... among us?

There's a 10,000 gold reward at the end of the chapter that will decrease by 300 at the start of every turn. Beating this chapter quickly will give you more gold, but this chapter is also a great place to train up your units... there's plenty of enemies with low bulk that can be easily isolated. So you could think of this as a choice between gold or EXP, you either blitz through with your strongest units or you take the time to feed your worse ones kills and get less gold at the end.

The right hand side of the map is definitely the hardest. Xander can one-shot a lot of the enemies here and take no damage in return, although he does fear the Adventurers with Shining Bows. He'll also earn pretty much no EXP for taking them out.

Leo can pick off the units that are hanging out just outside the range of the two stats staves. Defeating the staff users will be easier when there's less enemies around them...

This wasn't necessary, but he did it anyway. What is Brynhildr supposed to be, anyway? According to the game it's a tome that can manipulate gravity, but unless this was the apple tree that allegedly dropped an apple on Isaac Newtwon I don't see what making trees appear has to do with that.

My original plan was for Odin to nostank the top half while Leo takes the bottom, but this Hero would absolutely slaughter him. I don't think any of my units particularly want to deal with this guy...

Corrin's now somewhat overleveled, so I'll have her be a support partner for Elise. I really need to promote her soon and without Arthur she's going to struggle to do much otherwise.

I don't really have much of a plan in mind here. Getting killed by the boss when he suddenly unmasks himself at the end sucks, so I'd prefer to have all my units ready to deal with him, which means I'm probably finishing up one side of the map first. So I guess I'll have most of my army take the left side while Leo and Odin slowly lure enemies out of the danger zone on the right.

Don't be too intimidated by the timer. Gold is nice and all but there's no huge rush. After this chapter begins a gauntlet of much tougher ones so it's ideal to make sure your army gets some EXP here.

Bolt Axe Elise is a very powerful damage dealer so long as she can actually hit her target. As a Nohr Noble Corrin boosts magic on pairup instead of strength, so she's especially helpful for her.

I want Xander to support Peri but I don't want to waste him on a defensive pair-up, so he's staying in attack stance as much as he can. Any kills he gets would be a waste but at the same time I want him always ready to bail me out of a tough situation if I need him to.

The high density of high strength and high magic enemies might make this side of the map look scary, but there's not much overlap between their ranges. Unfortunately they do have a lot of seal skills that mess you up a little. The mages on the raised platform have Seal Defense to soften you up for the Fighters...

Leo and Odin can't quite block this chokepoint with only the two of them, but they do a good enough job together. Odin's Nosferatu and Leo's high bulk will keep them alive so long as they don't step into the green zone. Putting them next to each other like this also builds support ranks, just in case I ever want Vantage Leo.

This pair-up is the deadliest thing on the map. One half has a Silver Sword, the other has a Shining Bow and a bunch of seal skills. Even Xander would crumple under the combined might of Enfeeble and a fast magical attacker.

This Fighter's running around with a Kitsune only skill. I guess he's some kind of pirate foxboy? It would be funny if enemies with these skills were weak to Beast Killers.

Unfortunately I can't always avoid using Xander. That poor Dark Mage died for a single point of EXP.

It's okay, the kills he makes make the map safer for my weaker units to play in. Niles's growths have really gone downhill ever since I reclassed him.

The chokepointy nature of this map also helps make it ideal for feeding units EXP. In most games boat maps mean constant harassment from flying units with no respect at all for chokepoints, so it's a nice change of pace.

Elise continues her bulky streak, Nyx dual guards herself a bad level that doesn't matter, and Silas finally gets defense. This chapter is going to be like 50% level ups.

Jakob grabs a rather un-Strategist level and gets a cool rally. Rally Resistance should help a lot in this chapter.

Now for the slightly tougher part of the left side of this map. Berserkers and Sorcerers with overlapping ranges. The top part of the map has a single tile where the sorc can hit but the zerk can't, but the bottom corridor isn't as kind.

This is where Xander comes in handy. His high luck and unique sword give him high crit avoid, and while his resistance isn't good, his HP is enough to tank a magic attack or two. The Berserker doesn't threaten him at all.

Unfortunately some enemies have a tendency to walk back into formation if you lure them out and then don't kill them. It's a little rude.

That's green unit number one inspected. I just noticed that the generic Lancer uniform's helmet looks like a lemon juicer, and now I can't unsee it.

Leo would also be a good candidate for luring enemies over but he's currently occupied. At least unlike Xander he earns EXP from defeating half a map by himself.

Not the best level, but I can't complain about the mixed bulk.

This game would be so much more difficult if the enemy understood how dual guards worked. More often than not they'll happily throw their strongest attacker against a unit with maximum gauge. Also that is an absurdly huge sword.

Odin hits level 20, and makes me realise I forgot to teach him Vantage to pass onto his daughter... Now I'd need to promote him if I wanted to do that, and since he's probably getting replaced I'm not sure I want to spend the resources.

That's a capped stat! Odin also capped his skill but that's less impressive. The "rally speed" boost here is actually from Bloodthirst. I don't have any speed ralliers yet.

Leo inspects soldier number 2 and gets caught in the Freeze zone. Nobody's going to attack him like this, but he will be stuck there for a while as the staff's only target.

"Just use Xander" will be the solution to many problems going forward.

The combined boosts his sisters give him make him completely impervious to physical damage. If a Berserker refuses to attack you out of fear then you can safely say you're hot poo poo.

Everybody's getting close to promotion now. Will I have enough Master Seals?

That's the left side all cleaned up! I'm sure there's supposed to be a unique set of dialogue for each green unit you examine but for some reason I'm getting repeat lines for 2 and 3. Strange.

Only one guy remains, and he's the sus one. Most of the enemies on this side are still here...

At least Leo's bully has finally ran out of staff juice. Now to waste many turns (and gold) moving the rest of my army over here...

Inspiration gives +2 damage dealt and -2 damage received to your allies within 2 spaces. It also stacks with Gentilihomme, which adds up to -4 damage taken for girls near Jakob. It is a pretty good skill!

It would have been more efficient to take out both halves of the map at the same time, but this way is at least safer. My precious gold...

Xander gets his resistance rallied and crushes the Enfeeble guy in a single blow. I could have done this at the start of the map, but then he'd have been frozen...

...and attacked by the Shining Bow Adventurer. Or not? I guess he could instead hide behind his Hero friend who barely deals any damage, that works too.

I won't complain. I guess he didn't want to be OHKO'd in retaliation? Normally the enemy doesn't care about that...

Elise and Peri both hit level 20. Just need Silas and Niles to hit their level cap now.

Time to crowd around the boss while Azura takes her sweet time to join up with the rest of the squad. Maybe I should have had someone ferry her over.

There's the impostor. A bow unit with a killer weapon and Counter. He'll appear on the map the instant you talk to the last guy, which can be a really nasty surprise if it happens near the end of your turn. He might not be able to move but he can attack at 1 range with his Mini Bow.

Thankfully the Mini Bow can't attack at range so I can have all my ranged attackers pile on him from a distance.

And, as always, you can't Counter if you're dead. That's Silas at his level cap now.

Not the best gold reward I got have gotten. But think of all the EXP I got!

Turns out the guy with a unique portrait and personal skill is plot important. Who knew? Azura's kidnapping by the Hoshidan royal family does add some moral greyness to them, even if it was done out of retaliation.

Merciful lord that I am, I decide not to kill Shura. Sparing him gets you a new unit and his inventory, killing him gets you a pair of Boots. The boots are honestly worth more, but I like to recruit every character I can when playing FE... Not having a valuable statbooster also saves me the agony of having to make a decision on who to give it to.

Your siblings will fall over themselves praising you if you do decide to kill Shura. I guess it's probably the wisest choice considering the guy's a master of disguise who's loyalty is extremely questionable, but it does also make them all seem like bloodthirsty maniacs. Which they might be, come to think of it.

This is the man who's life I weighed in favour of a pair of nice boots. Was it worth it? Maybe.

Next time: Putting off The Ninja Chapter to go be a good parent

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shura comes in with lock pick and stave utility, and +1 move. He can replace an underperforming Niles no problem in 98% of situations (barring the capture of rallyman). His biggest issue is lack of supports.

Also, I demand you use all of your stat boosters next time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, I like Shura and it's a shame so many people kill him off. Conquest is also his best route, as he comes in too late for Birthright and Revelation is just a mess (he does okay there, but given his lack of supports and Revelation being the 'make all those characters have special interactions with each other!' route, not sure why you'd use the Corrinsexuals much).

Bogart posted:

Shura comes in with lock pick and stave utility, and +1 move. He can replace an underperforming Niles no problem in 98% of situations (barring the capture of rallyman). His biggest issue is lack of supports.

Also, I demand you use all of your stat boosters next time.

I honestly use them both for Ninja hell. Even a falling behind Niles will put in work there unless he got extremely Str-screwed (which, to be fair, isn't that unlikely with Niles).

And yeah Shura is a good utility unit that just gets screwed over by lack of supports. Of all the Corrinsexuals he's arguably the most useful too (other than maybe Reina).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shura makes a great Bow Knight or Mechanist. He doesn't need to heal since that's what Dwyer, Felicia or Nyx are for. I honestly usually ignore the corrinsexuals but I think I'm going to make them a core part of my army just to see how they do. You only get 4 so there's plenty of room to slot them in with the rest of the crew.

And if you want Niles to remain relevant I think he needs to go Kinshi. Sniper isn't going to help his strength or speed while Kinshi will let him reliably double everything again and Air Superiority is super helpful against Hinoka.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The ability to kill Shura for boots and the Ryoma fight are the two most defining moments of Conquest for me, and consequently, are the reasons I cannot bring myself to hate it. It's so loving funny. A story that brings entertainment, even if unintentional, can't by definition be the worst, as opposed to a story like Revelation which is just loving boring.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So far in my first go at Fates/Conquest I reclassed Mozu immediately and she's been a very solid archer for me.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Faillen Angel posted:

The ability to kill Shura for boots and the Ryoma fight are the two most defining moments of Conquest for me, and consequently, are the reasons I cannot bring myself to hate it. It's so loving funny. A story that brings entertainment, even if unintentional, can't by definition be the worst, as opposed to a story like Revelation which is just loving boring.
I will wait patiently for 25 turns to respond to this post. After that, I will begin my assault.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm feeling comfortable enough with hard that I might restart on Lunatic bearing in mind what few kids I want to have. Jakob / Azura can give Shigure Rally Resistance, Shigure can use his kid seal to immediately get the Rally Speed from Falcon Knight, then swap to Wyvern Lord for Rally Defense. +4 of each defense, a speed boost, and the 10% heal from his special rally. Rallyman might be cheaper, but he's not on a bird. If Seals are no issue, then I could swap him back to Kinshi for eventual Amaterasu, but they absolutely are and Wyvern Lord's good enough of a class to end in.

Silas / Carmilla can pass down Sol and Savage Blow (really, she could pass down Trample but that's a lot of levels to dump into Carmilla). Odin's raison d'etre is to hang out with Elise and practice the samurai arts enough to get vantage...

Now that I'm writing it all out, it's a tough game of "hey, if I pair everyone up, I get more paralogues and thus more items and exp which can make more paralogues" versus "I don't want to have to use shitter units like Arthur and Laz more than necessary in difficult maps." and i have a hard time ignoring that the dragon's gate is right there! what~if~i~just~ruined~the~xp~curve

Cythereal posted:

So far in my first go at Fates/Conquest I reclassed Mozu immediately and she's been a very solid archer for me.

This is the right decision. While Villager is technically its own class in Fates rather than a complete trap as in Awakening, Underdog skill is at best nice to have but not necessary and the Merchant class is a huge gimmick. Helps that bows have pretty respectable power in Fates so she can take kills without issue.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Merchant skills might be a gimmick but the class has the highest strength gain in the game, at a bonus of 20%. It's not a bad class for Mozu to end in.

Other classes with this bonus are Wolfskin, Oni Savage and Dark Knight among others.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the only unit I've tried Merchant with is Midori, and that's because she pretty much starts in it.

Otherwise 'slow archer' isn't a huge appeal unless you just want to devote a unit to dueling ninjas (who are gonna outspeed you most of the time anyway).

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Are you sure Elise is an adult, game? "Childish" characters in these games are always weird and offputting to me, sometimes they act like slightly immature adults and sometimes they act like 5 year olds.

I guess I can keep forging Iron Bows if the game wants me to. If I have the funds for it I would like at some point to go ham and forge a +4 or higher thing.

B support for Corrin and Elise, C for everyone else. For a moment I forgot that Elise doesn't start as a Wyvern Rider and was excited to reclass Corrin into one...

And an S support for Odin and Nyx. The game knows if you're marrying two magical units you're probably trying to minmax a super wizard child. This support was actually quite sweet despite me screenshotting the weirdest part of it. I guess Nyx is now part of the Ylissean royal family?

The last few levels gave me the impression that my Peri is doing super well and my Silas is doing badly, so I decided to check them against their average stats.

Peri
+1 HP, +0.5 STR, -0.5 MAG, +0 SKL, +2 SPD, +0 LCK, +0.5 DEF, +0 RES

Silas
-1 HP, +0.6 STR, +0.3 MAG, +5.6 SKL, +2 SPD, +0.3 LCK, -3 DEF, -1.2 RES

...and it turns out my Peri is only slightly above average, while Silas isn't doing as badly as I thought. His bulk has taken a huge hit, but otherwise he's quite good? I did make sure to take into account the one stat booster I gave him. I don't think I've ever seen either of them cap a stat before promotion though.

My plan is still to go Master Ninja Silas, although his crappy bulk does make that idea seem a bit less good now. I'll have him go Paladin until he gets Defender... I also need to start building some supports with Kaze, I'd completely forgotten about that.

Paladin boosts Peri's strengths even more, while Great Knight evens out her stats a bit. Great Knight is her "canon" class, and possibly her best choice unless you're worried she won't be able to double consistently...

...but I want Defender and she's going to end up as a Wyvern Lord anyway. Building axe rank as a GK would be nice but I want the skill more.

Those were all the Master Seals I had. Ideally I'd be buying as few of these as possible, but your units will start hitting level 20 faster then they show up as loot on the map.

Oh and give me a Hammer while it's on sale. It's funny, Birthright gives you so many Nohrian weapons as free droppables but in Conquest you actually have to buy them.

I doubt I'll be promoting Odin, but here's what his stats would be. Dark Knight might look better than Sorc in nearly every single way, but losing Nosferatu is a big disadvantage... And the Sorcerer class, like all promoted classes that only use one weapon type, has some small intrinsic bonuses it provides you. The game doesn't tell you what they are, but it gives +5 to hit and critical avoid, and +10 to critical hit chance. Which adds up to +20 factoring in Odin's personal skill.

The reason why I'm not promoting Odin and ditching Leo in favour of him is because I value magic much more than strength for a Dark Knight. He might be better than him in quite a few ways, but dishing out magical damage is what I'd want one to do and Leo does that much better. Maybe I'll promote him and keep him around anyway, but there's not much room in my deployment slots and I have other child paralogues I want to unlock.

Oh and lastly Elise finally gets to be a magic user again. Losing luck doesn't bother her, she's got tonnes of it already.

Okay fine I will use one stat booster. I'm about to recruit a few children so I'll save the rest for later when I know what my army's going to look like! I don't have a problem you have a problem I could stop hoarding these whenever I like

For real though I'm about to grab Ophelia and I think she'd appreciate most of these. The Seraph Robe could go to any one of her, Silas, or Elise... The Speedwings I'm a little unsure on. Maybe Corrin? Maybe once I'm done with the child chapters I'm planning on doing now I should put it up to a vote. I think I need an intervention.

Here is everyone. My army's looking a lot better now I've got all these promoted units. Conquest is meant to be the route that's stingiest with EXP, but you actually level up much faster thanks to the higher level of enemies... It's probably the only route where you'll end up with multiple units at 20/20 without grinding.

Xander
Paladin (HS: Wyvern Rider)
A+ Support Classes: Kaze (Ninja), Laslow (Mercenary), Leo (Dark Mage)
Personal Skill: Chivalry (+2 damage dealt and -2 damage received if enemy has full HP at start of combat)
Growths:
HP: 45% (55)
STR: 50% (65)
MAG: 5% (5)
SKL: 40% (50)
SPD: 35% (45)
LCK: 60% (75)
DEF: 40% (50)
RES: 15% (25)

Big bro is here to break the game in half. He's got a cool sword and an effective defense stat at base higher than the cap Paladins have in the GBA games. All that stops him from being a better unit than Camilla is not existing for half of the game. Even he is not without flaws though...

Right off of the bat, Xander is a physical powerhouse. His strength and defense are both through the roof, his high power 1-2 range sword only boosts them both further, and then his personal skill boosts them even further beyond that. He's so bulky that a lot of units won't even bother attacking him when he first joins, which is both a blessing and a curse. He's the master of choking points and protecting your weaker units, but he can also run through groups of enemies unafraid and even one-shot more fragile ones with only a little help. He's also got a great luck stat to make sure he never gets crit. His sword will provide its +4 defense boost whether it is equipped or not, even if the class he's in has no sword rank at all.

Xander will be good with absolutely no investment at all, but there's a few things you can do to make him even better. Pairing Charlotte up with Xander is pretty much the meta - she boosts his gargantuan attack even further, while also raising his speed high enough to allow him to double. Not boosting his defenses can actually be a good thing, since it means enemies will happily throw themselves against him to die rather than refusing to attack outright. It also grants him access to the Hero class, raising his speed and ridding him of his weakness to Beast Killers. As a Hero Xander gains access to Sol, which he'll activate often thanks to his high skill. Seigfried's 1-2 range means Xander won't even need to be a Master Ninja to pull off the Sol MN combo, although by supporting Kaze he can still become one anyway, and he'll do quite well at it. Xander can also get access to Hero by A+ supporting Laslow or by marrying Selena, both of which provide him with pretty useful stat bonuses too. Otherwise he'll do fine as a Paladin. His lance rank is mostly useless thanks to the insane power of his personal sword, but you can give him a Beast Killer if you've got one going spare.

Xander's only real flaws are his speed and resistance. The former you can patch up with a good supporting partner but the latter is a little more troublesome, especially because most classes that boost resistance won't provide any other boosts that will be particularly useful to him. The Hero or Master Ninja classes are both good for fixing his speed, and the latter will help his resistance too, although he'll need certain supports for those.

Xander will keep his D rank in lances as a Wyvern Lord but I don't think there's any good reason to make him one unless you really need him to fly somewhere or you want some of the wyvern tree's skills.

Pros
  • Godlike physical stats, can easily OHKO certain enemies while taking no damage at all from others
  • Can use dragon veins and gets an extremely cool sword with great stats and reliable 1-2 range
  • Access to the Sol 1-2 range combo with certain supports, including a fast building A+ support with Laslow
  • Requires absolutely no investment at all to be good, you can bench him for multiple chapters and he'll still be useful after then
  • High luck and a personal weapon that boosts critical avoid make him very hard to crit

Cons
  • Flimsy speed and poor resistance make his doubling inconsistent and makes him vulnerable to mages
  • Has by far the most difficult and thankless child paralogue of the entire game - a good mother might be wasted on his child if you never recruit them
  • Joins late, will take a while to reach S or A+ ranks compared to other units

My Rating: A way better father than his Hoshidan counterpart!

Shura
Adventurer (HS: Ninja, Fighter)
A+ Support Classes: None
Personal Skill: Highwayman (If enemy cannot counter and unit initiates battle, reduce enemy's strength and speed by 3 after the battle)
Growths:
HP: 30% (30)
STR: 25% (30)
MAG: 10% (25)
SKL: 20% (25)
SPD: 35% (55)
LCK: 30% (30)
DEF: 15% (15)
RES: 35% (55)

Shura is the man you gave up a pair of Boots for. Sure you can pair him up with someone to give them +1 movement anyway, but if they had a pair of Boots they could pair up with someone else who gives movement to get +2 move... I'll be honest, pretty much every unit from here on out is going to get a purely speculative analysis. I can tell you what their stats are, what classes they can have, and what I think they might be able to do, but I won't be speaking from experience.

Shura's kind of a role-compression unit. He can pick locks, he can shoot bows, he heals, and he gives pretty handy pair-up bonuses as an Adventurer. He'll do all of these things with no investment and only one deployment slot, and he just happens to join before a chapter where you'll want all of those things anyway. Statwise he's about on par with a freshly promoted Niles, although he'll quickly fall behind once his bad growths start to take effect.

As a Hoshidan native who's been living in Nohr, Shura's got a rather funky class set. He'll do perfectly fine as an Adventurer, but you could consider making him a Mechanist if you want one. He'll keep his bow rank while significantly improving his bulk and gaining the ability to use Knives. Bow Knight is probably fine for him too, but maybe not worth wasting a Heart Seal on when he can still use bows as an Adventurer. Otherwise his other classes don't seem good for much but their skills. The Fighter tree might have some great classes but Shura won't have weapon ranks in any of them, and by now you'll have a large amount of units who could do all of those things better.

Pros
  • Good base stats and great default class allow him to fulfill many roles at the same time while requiring no investment
  • Comes with a good set of reclasses by default

Cons
  • Can't support anybody but Corrin, will give Kana bad stats
  • Mediocre growths and lack of supports make investing in him a questionable choice
  • Is mutually exclusive with a pair of Boots

My Rating: Clearly shares a hair stylist with FE7's Heath

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bogart posted:

This is the right decision. While Villager is technically its own class in Fates rather than a complete trap as in Awakening, Underdog skill is at best nice to have but not necessary and the Merchant class is a huge gimmick. Helps that bows have pretty respectable power in Fates so she can take kills without issue.

She is better than Niles in every single stat so far, and one of three members of the roster I can count on to kill in the clutch, along with Effie and Silas (and I guess Corrin with the dragonstone, but her STR and MAG have both been lagging). Although I am moderately desperate for Effie and Silas to start boning already so I can reclass Effie into something with more movement.

Genuinely enjoying the gameplay challenges of Conquest, and I have been using this thread as a reference for tips even though I'm not playing Lunatic. :)

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 22, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Another bonus of pairing up Xander with Charlotte is that it ends up with her being queen of Nohr.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Hi I just want to say I was compelled to play Fates again after reading this LP and my Mozu just got 1 shotted by a general with a spear and a 3% hit chance. I think I've made a mistake playing this game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Hi I just want to say I was compelled to play Fates again after reading this LP and my Mozu just got 1 shotted by a general with a spear and a 3% hit chance. I think I've made a mistake playing this game.
ahhh, the Genuine Fire Emblem Experience™

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Wyvern Lord Xander isnt a good long term choice but theres a run of chapters, 19-21 where the class is really helpful. He can dominate 19 with big defense and the Beast Killer, and this can be enough battles to get him to C lances and wield the Blessed Lance in 21 (or juat use his insane bulk to skip the chapter). Fliers are always handy in the Wild Ride as well, and Str+2/Lunge are neat skills to pick up.

Shura is a decent unit, he can be a good low investment Master Ninja reclass. You arent getting Sol like Silas or Soleil, but you're also putting a lot less effort into it. Tbh, i think the main issue with him is its even less effort to just capture a Master Ninja with similar stats and better weapon ranks next chapter. In his base class he suffers from Niles being someone you almoat always want to deploy, and the class isnt a niche you really want more than one of.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Conquest seems to have access to enough wyverns that I'm not sure spending a seal on making Xander into another makes sense, from my view where I'm at with the game so far.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Conquest seems to have access to enough wyverns that I'm not sure spending a seal on making Xander into another makes sense, from my view where I'm at with the game so far.

You can never have too many wyverns.

In all seriousness, as Wallet Inspector mentions, Wyvern Xander is great for those three chapters, after which he can get back to using swords. If you have the DLC, after those chapters is a fantastic time to turn him into a Lodestar and fix those speed issues for good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, you haven't seen Kitsune Hell or Fuga's Wild Ride yet. For the first you don't want horses or pegasus, also Keaton, and for the second you want as many fliers as possible. Wyvern Xander is perfect for both. Also it helps to have fliers for Eternal Stairway. These maps are the bulk of the tedious bullshit.

I've had more runs end because I just didn't feel like dealing with Fuga than any other map in the game, including endgame.

Also I prefer to play either without royals or their broken weapons so Wyvern Xander is better than Paladin Xander.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Duly noted.

Fortunately, my plans for my game include giving Velouria access to sky knight. :black101:

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I think Conquest has mostly great gameplay but it is not immune to lovely gimmick maps and boy do those gimmicks get extra lovely on lunatic

Fuga's Wild Ride is in every route for some reason. I don't know why they loved it so much. It's much worse in Rev where you have only 1 flier and most of your units are going to be underlevelled with mostly lovely stats

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Fuga's Wild Ride isn't in Birthright. Just a boring desert map instead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Don't worry, I have a solution to your status booster dilemma.

Give them to Azura.

All of them

I guess Camilla can get the magic boosters or something since azura can't use them. Or give them to azura anyway because I'd be funny, I'm not a cop.

E: also, for all the crap fates deservedly gets about it's writing, Shura vs The Boots is hands down one of the best uses of a good/evil choice I have ever seen in games.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Fuga's Wild Ride is in every route for some reason. I don't know why they loved it so much. It's much worse in Rev where you have only 1 flier and most of your units are going to be underlevelled with mostly lovely stats

also while it's true in most FE games, fates has the absolute WORST case of E-Rank Hell. Bronze weapons are almost worse than just not having a weapon, they're SO bad.

so guess where all your units in Revelation start.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The worst e ranks are swords, axes and lances. Shuriken are fine and bows and tomes don't generally need better than e rank depending on the character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mozu's biggest issue to me is that her HP is bad. Like, really, really bad. Donnel at least had a ripping HP growth and bonus levels to maximize them because of the way Second Seals work in Awakening. Mozu is probably down there with Azura in terms of survival chances, and she honestly doesn't get much better.

Archer helps her a bit, but like... I've never made her work. On Birthright you have better archers, on Conquest she doesn't have the bulk to tank ninjas.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thinking about ways to get rid of the critical hit system of FE without losing mechanical depth since all but a very specialized player unit will be able to rely on them, whereas an enemy unit can just ruin your run / force a Divine Pulse without counterplay. Maybe something like a "token" system? Hit a target three times with a Killing Edge and your third / fourth / whatever always hits for triple? That'd be one way to replicate a 25% crit rate while also making it something you can play around. It'd make Luck less of a useful stat but it's already kinda whatever.

i also think archers should always have 2-3 range and maybe a lovely crossbow that only hits 1, it's a great way to give them a niche away from archers or Cav With Jav don't @ me

vv Yeah, I know it's not really mimicking it. It's doing a similar thing on a reliable level that can be predicted. Even if it's down to "ten count to hit," I'm mostly just spitballin for chattin. (Also maybe it'd only stack on consecutive hits on a single target?)

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 23, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hi, this thread is the best LP of a game I have no interest in ever playing so a+

Bogart posted:

Maybe something like a "token" system? Hit a target three times with a Killing Edge and your third / fourth / whatever always hits for triple? That'd be one way to replicate a 25% crit rate

that doesn't replicate 25% chc at all though -- in a standard pRNG situation each 25% is rolled individually with no memory of previous attempts, so 4 attempts at 25% is actually only a ~68% chance of at least one crit. without changing a bunch about FE otherwise i think it'd be hilariously broken to guarantee crits on specific, known attempts though so i support it

e: like i'm imagining just how incredibly hard lysithea in 3H could dunk on certain named enemies if I rolled up a guaranteed crit before popping off dark spikes T and it's hilarious

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 23, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
As much as I appreciate the idea of making it deterministic, that's basically removing a tool almost entirely from the AI and giving it to the player.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
well, there's always Heroes and how it implements specials, with killer weapons speeding up your special charge and wo daos making them do more (true) damage on trigger.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Unpopular opinion: I really like how crits work in fe and enjoy the way they force risk mitigation the same way miss chance does. If there is a chance for a crit, your plan needs to include a response to a crit. Yes, sometimes a unit will get an unlucky series of crits against enemies and get overwhelmed instead of leaving an enemy alive and blocking further attacks, but overall it adds much more to the game than the downsides detract from it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Crits are completely fine as they are.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hot take: the thing to remove from FE is growth RNG.

There should be a mode where stat caps are completely fixed based on the unit and class, and level-ups just scale towards that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Bogart posted:

Now that I'm writing it all out, it's a tough game of "hey, if I pair everyone up, I get more paralogues and thus more items and exp which can make more paralogues" versus "I don't want to have to use shitter units like Arthur and Laz more than necessary in difficult maps." and i have a hard time ignoring that the dragon's gate is right there! what~if~i~just~ruined~the~xp~curve
You can grind out supports by visiting other people's castles and battling them without gaining any EXP in Conquest. It's a slow process, but I'm pretty sure there are some castles that exist purely to be farmed for EXP that have been made deliberately easy. Although I think there's some system in place that prevents unarmed units from giving any sort of bonus for participating in combat with them at all?

Walla posted:

Merchant skills might be a gimmick but the class has the highest strength gain in the game, at a bonus of 20%. It's not a bad class for Mozu to end in.

Other classes with this bonus are Wolfskin, Oni Savage and Dark Knight among others.
Minor pedantic correction, Berserker actually gives more strength at 25% - most classes don't give any more than 20% in a stat but General, Berserker, and Sorcerer are all exceptions for some reason. Berserker in fact gives the highest bonus to any stat with 30% HP.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Yep that's Fire Emblem (TM). Never, ever trust any crit rate lower than 0%. 1% chances do unfortunately still happen 1% of the time.

Wallet Inspector posted:

Wyvern Lord Xander isnt a good long term choice but theres a run of chapters, 19-21 where the class is really helpful. He can dominate 19 with big defense and the Beast Killer, and this can be enough battles to get him to C lances and wield the Blessed Lance in 21 (or juat use his insane bulk to skip the chapter). Fliers are always handy in the Wild Ride as well, and Str+2/Lunge are neat skills to pick up.
Huh, I never actually considered doing that. It's a shame that run of chapters is still a little too early in the game for Xander to reach level 15 and grab Trample.

Quackles posted:

Hot take: the thing to remove from FE is growth RNG.

There should be a mode where stat caps are completely fixed based on the unit and class, and level-ups just scale towards that.
I really don't understand why they never brought fixed mode back... Weird growth RNG can be the most fun part of the game but being able to play with average stats would also be nice.