Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

grittyreboot posted:

From Masterclass.com
Monitor prop use for safety. Once all the props are ready to be on set, the props master supervises all prop use to make sure props aren’t broken. This includes making sure actors are using the hand props (any props handled by actors) safely, and that set props (props that are part of the set) hold up during takes. This even includes handling any firearms or testing any fake drugs that will be used in the production, to make sure they won’t harm the actors.

I nobly volunteer for this job, but only that part. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

I nobly volunteer for this job, but only that part. :colbert:

KEEP DRINKING URINE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I mean until someone proves he did something that led to that gun being unsafe, good? I don't know why we're already getting upset he's not in solitary when it could've been 8 other assholes' faults.

Like I certainly don't have to or want to hand it to him but it sounds like he was also complaining about on set conditions

Yeah apparently he was told it was a cold gun. But on the other hand he picked up the gun, didn't personally verify that it was safe, and then deliberately pointed it at people and pulled the trigger. As a joke, maybe? Like it didn't just go off because he dropped it, he deliberately aimed and pulled the trigger. It is definitely not ALL his fault but it sounds like he contributed.

I am not a gun enthusiast but even I know you don't randomly point guns at people. You shouldn't point toy guns at people. You shouldn't point tiny crossbows that shoot toothpicks at people. And this was apparently a real gun, not a plastic replica. A big heavy chunk of metal. A grown rear end man should know better than to aim a real gun at people even as a joke.

Obviously someone else hosed up real bad because there should never have been real bullets anywhere near the prop guns. Was someone playing with them? Practicing shooting with real bullets? What the heck. Someone called out "cold gun" without actually checking that the gun was empty?

Plenty of negligence to go around.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that he fired the gun as a joke, the articles IMO made it sound like he was firing the gun as directed to in the scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really think the pointing at people as a joke isn't true. One website briefly reported it and took it down. I don't want to absolve Baldwin because multiple news sites are reporting this happened a day after crew walked out over safety concerns, but I also don't want to accuse him of poo poo that he didn't do.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

:hellyeah:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

christmas boots posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that he fired the gun as a joke, the articles IMO made it sound like he was firing the gun as directed to in the scene.

It was on the previous page of this thread.

And social media:
https://twitter.com/NewElitism/status/1451517023322787840

But reuters said it probably didn't happen: https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...t-idUSL1N2RI222

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah apparently he was told it was a cold gun. But on the other hand he picked up the gun, didn't personally verify that it was safe, and then deliberately pointed it at people and pulled the trigger. As a joke, maybe? Like it didn't just go off because he dropped it, he deliberately aimed and pulled the trigger. It is definitely not ALL his fault but it sounds like he contributed.
Assuming the TikTok guy knows what he's talking about (big assumption), Baldwin was supposed to be firing toward the camera, which is why there was a plexiglas shield in front of the DP and assistant, to keep them from being injured by the powder and particles coming from the (supposed to be) blank.

It would seem to me that the gold standard case for "fix it in post" would be "shot requires actor to point gun at camera people", but money...

e: Do NOT trust the Daily Mail on matters of fact. They will print (and sometimes create) the lurid version every drat time.

ee: That typeface on the supposed Daily Mail screencap is very hinky.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you mean 'WokeismIsTheNewElitism' posting a random chunk of text isn't a good source???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sexpig by night posted:

you mean 'WokeismIsTheNewElitism' posting a random chunk of text isn't a good source???

I know right? I was baffled too!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
But in less of a lovely tone I honestly wouldn't be SHOCKED if Baldwin was being an rear end in a top hat and caused it, and it sounds like in the grand scheme of things he as one of the producers not fighting against using a scab to replace one of the people who walked over unsafe conditions means he probably deserves some level of blame, but I'd think if he really was straight up waving the gun around and actively 'shooting' it at people there'd be more solid reporting of that than just some random chuds clearly thinking this is some kind of own.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1451695804641464322

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Daily Mail is about half a rung above the Daily Stormer in terms of reliability and several rungs under public bathroom graffiti.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anything, if someone modifies the text on a daily mail screenshot it has a better than even chance of increasing its factual accuracy.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
I was an extra cast as a cop on a TV show many years back. They had a heavy, rubber "gun" that a prop guy put into the holster on the belt they had me wear as part of the costume. There was a full lecture about never unclipping it and never, ever taking it out of the holster. It was just one sold (and heavy) piece of rubber with no moving parts, but they still maintained that if it came out of the holster, you'd be walked off set and let go.

That feels like a much more reasonable way to handle guns on set, whether they're dummy props or mechanical. They should always be treated as if they're real, live firearms that could kill someone. The fact that this was even able to happen suggests massive safety issues on the set, and combined with the complaints from crew in the days leading up to this, someone needs to be held accountable.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Otana posted:

I was an extra cast as a cop on a TV show many years back. They had a heavy, rubber "gun" that a prop guy put into the holster on the belt they had me wear as part of the costume. There was a full lecture about never unclipping it and never, ever taking it out of the holster. It was just one sold (and heavy) piece of rubber with no moving parts, but they still maintained that if it came out of the holster, you'd be walked off set and let go.

That feels like a much more reasonable way to handle guns on set, whether they're dummy props or mechanical. They should always be treated as if they're real, live firearms that could kill someone. The fact that this was even able to happen suggests massive safety issues on the set, and combined with the complaints from crew in the days leading up to this, someone needs to be held accountable.

Yeah, but you were just an extra. You can't expect important people to be held to the same sensible rules as you

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but you were just an extra. You can't expect important people to be held to the same sensible rules as you

Unfortunately and depressingly true.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

What bothers me is why there would be live ammo on set in the first place?

The only (still idiotic) reason I can think of is to show 'real' bullets in a scene, maybe being loaded, etc - on camera in some way.

This of course begs the question: why not inert rounds? There's zero reason that actual live ammo should be involved at all on a film set like this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I read somewhere in all of this Discourse™ that "live ammo" on a movie or TV set can refer to blanks that can go boom, as opposed to just inert dummy rounds.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

DarkDobe posted:

This of course begs the question: why not inert rounds? There's zero reason that actual live ammo should be involved at all on a film set like this.

On a well-managed film set, the only reason there should be a live-in-the-normal-sense round in a prop pistol is that Agent 47 is impersonating the propmaster.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
you should be more worried about over-sized mechanical fans, in that case

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus sounds 99% of the time, the prop gun is not able to fire bullets whatsoever. Blanks, yes. Actual projectiles? Nope. The industry came down hard on that after Brandon Lee. Most of the time it's a gun that's either been modded for blanks (for example the colt from supernatural), or is a built from the ground up prop in the sense you buy or rent one and it's been specifically made to just shoot blanks. I'm talking about just blank firing, not airsoft. Sometimes as much as the barrel being partially or completely plugged.

As far as I know even finding blanks that fit real unmodded guns is hard to do.

I dunno what the gently caress up was, but it was a doozy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Just paint up those fake rounds that exist for training (you have someone slip one in the magazine/cylinder and when you go "click" instead of "boom" it shows how you're reacting) this isn't difficult

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Brandon Lee was a straight up actual bullet wasn't it? Like they'd loaded it to do a closeup of the revolver's cylinder.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought it was a bullet lodged further into the barrel somehow, that then got propelled out by a blank. Or something like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They wanted it to be a good view of the revolver in the scene where he catches Funboy in bed with Darla, but they didn't want "real" bullets on set. So they took the regular ammo, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and re-seated the bullets so the gun would look the part when viewed from the front. At some point in time, the gun was fired with this configuration, which meant that the primer went off, providing just enough pressure to put a projectile in the barrel. Then, for another scene, they loaded the same gun with blanks, which are a case with powder and no projectile, but because there was a projectile in the barrel already, the powder in the blank was enough to put the bullet into Brandon Lee's spine :(

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

this is a good tweet actually

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol murrica texas

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/rldersystem/status/1451637862294753280?s=21

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When you definitely know what you're mad about

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Atwood doubled down.

https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1451907253037060107?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Suffragettes? Who were they, then?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Her timeline is probs gonna be 100% terf and nothing else from now on

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Toxic Activism" is a pretty stupid idea but a good name for a punk band.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

k, that's because you are a bootlicker, because we mostly call them a pick-me these days. Wonder what her fuckin problem is tho

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DarkDobe posted:

What bothers me is why there would be live ammo on set in the first place?

The only (still idiotic) reason I can think of is to show 'real' bullets in a scene, maybe being loaded, etc - on camera in some way.

I keep thinking “now this is real acid so I want to see goggles, people!”

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ah yes the problem with activism is it's too "in your face". We need quiet, out of the way, modest activism that understands it takes many years of patience and slow mutual understanding to make progress, while you and your loved ones are harassed, murdered, and oppressed daily. Activism that's "in your face" just needs to stop!
I definitely understand what activism is and what its goals are.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Here's the article. It was written by a trans woman. I am making no statement by posting it.

I will say I think this particular issue requires nuance and the internet is not at all made for that

quote:

I am a transgender woman who began my transition in 2011 and completed it in 2014, with my gender reassignment surgeries. I believe in trans rights and protections against discrimination in employment, housing, healthcare and education based on gender identity, as was the intent of Bill C16.

What I don't believe in is some of the new, more radical, and in my view more toxic forms of activism that have sprung up over the last decade.

This type of activism advocates for the censorship and de-platforming of any woman who voices concern about the effect the expanding of trans rights has or may have on the right to maintain single-sex spaces where vulnerable women can find safety, support and healing.

I don't necessarily agree with all of these positions or arguments against trans inclusion after meaningful transition. However, I disagree with the tactics that amount to slander and defamation by some trans activists, who immediately label and vilify anyone raising those concerns or arguments, as we saw with the Canadian feminist writer Meghan Murphy when she spoke at the Toronto Public Library two years ago.

Overly confrontational
Personally I've found this toxic, in-your-face activism overly confrontational. I believe it creates more, not less, animosity toward the trans community.

Any trans person, like myself, who doesn't agree with this type of activism and doesn't jump to the defamatory labeling of anyone who disagrees as a bigot or TERF (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist) is usually called a "bootlicker." That's because, of course, women or feminists who campaign for women's rights are "fascists," from the point of view of these trans activists.

I've definitely felt excluded by my own community for not going along. I have been regularly appalled by the attacks on even well known celebrities, such as J.K. Rowling, Martina Navratilova and, most recently, Margaret Atwood, who have run afoul of the views held by that type of trans activism by expressing an opinion on the topic!

We live in a pluralistic, democratic society and everyone has the right to express their views or opinions on laws or policies that impact their lives, rights and security. Suggesting that all criticisms are rooted in transphobia or are "hate speech" is mostly inaccurate. Women have fought for decades for their rights and equality in society and deserve to be heard and given real answers regarding their concerns.

It's important to note that making legal sex change easier over the past 10 years has caused undeniable issues related to trans inclusion. A decade ago, you required therapy, approval letters from psych and medical professionals, hormonal therapy and gender reassignment surgeries. Today, all that's required is a simple self declaration.

This gives legal access to women's intimate spaces, shelters and prisons to males who haven't gone through any meaningful transition or therapy.

There are many instances where this has proven problematic. From certain self-declared women insisting female estheticians perform Brazilian waxes on male genitalia and threatening them with lawsuits or human rights complaints if they refuse. Or criminal offenders with a history of sexually predatory or violent behaviour toward women or girls demanding transfers to women's prisons after self declaring they are women. Women have been kicked out of domestic violence shelters for complaining about sharing spaces with non-transitioned males that identify as women.

Inclusion must be reasonable
I find most women who have concerns about how trans rights impact women's rights, services and spaces just want the inclusion to be reasonable and with criteria that protects women's safety in vulnerable settings, such as shelters, prisons and changing rooms. I feel my rights threatened more by every example of abuse that occurs that makes its way to the media.

Always assuming the women who protest these abuses are bigots or TERFs, and always insisting the motives of these self-declared individuals are innocent is naive and irresponsible.

"Trans woman" no longer means what it did. It no longer refers exclusively to an individual who has gone through therapy, hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgeries. This presents a greater risk to women in certain areas and it is reasonable to discuss these issues and come up with solutions and safeguards to prevent abuses and minimize risks to women's safety and infringements on their rights.

Inclusion in women's spaces must be reasonable, rational and arrived at through good faith discussions and debate. Acceptance of limitations and exceptions to that inclusion is just being respectful of the differences in our lived experiences, physiological needs and the historical and ongoing oppression and inequality women face today.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Here's the article. It was written by a trans woman. I am making no statement by posting it.

I will say I think this particular issue requires nuance and the internet is not at all made for that
Yeah, but I'm willing to bet you know jack poo poo about this particular issue if you can't see the red flags here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Seth Pecksniff posted:

it's just laundered terf poo poo from a transmedicalist