Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

raminasi posted:

there is a very good chance that the place you called has specific policies in place that funnel cold callers to a small number of very specific people for very specific reasons and shut everyone else down for information security reasons.

i do think you’re overestimating the size of this organisation, maybe i’m underestimating but.. they only employ one pharmacist at a time, and I suspect it’s not even a full time position.

kalel posted:

drat it I came here to complain and wallow in my inability to get a job but between echinopsis hogging the pity party* and pizza.bat's awesome post I have no excuse now :argh:

*I'm joking, and if it helps any I'm facing a lot of rejection and self-esteem issues too. you're not alone friendo :shobon:

sorry man I didn’t mean it to pan out that way. yesterday was awful lol. thank god it’s now saturday and I can look forward to getting drunk tonight

CarForumPoster posted:

Just one hiring persons opinion:
I always check references 100% of the time, but they dont have to be professional references if youre a new grad, intern, etc. That said, if you have more than 2 years of experience and no one who will vouch for working with you I have questions. Like the background check, reference checking comes when I am ready to extend an offer letter unless one of the people you think will say you're great says you're not great.

I like to hope that sometimes the people hiring are real humans who can see the potential of other people, rather than some people who (and maybe enforced by some kind of company policy) have strict ideas about the ways things have to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a lot of them are real people. the problem, as always, is free market capitalism, especially in the case of public companies. they are beholden to shareholders, who demand growth/profits, and so the company must prove to them that it has pursued them with best reasonable effort. an integral part of that is making a case that the company runs efficiently, which in turn is proven by having endless sets of “bespoke” guidelines and process flows governing everything, from kitchen coffee procurement to hiring. now, shareholders are not stupid, and know better than to trust the company, which in turn means audits. and your real person on the other hand has a real risk of being fired for stepping outside their instructions, as a consequence

also, especially in the current year and more so with prestigious jobs - it’s worth keeping in mind that the job position is seeing hundreds of applications filled per day, almost always for fewer than 10 people to handle alongside with whatever else is going on in their day

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

I like to hope that sometimes the people hiring are real humans who can see the potential of other people, rather than some people who (and maybe enforced by some kind of company policy) have strict ideas about the ways things have to work

this is a very doesnt understand what hiring is like answer. put yourself in their shoes, where a job req has 100+ applicants. you still have your regular job to do while also wading through these 100+ applicants. someone calls and wants special treatment, indicating they don’t understand working at your place, do you take the call?

you don’t have job req/budget authority and someone calls wanting a job that pays with money you don’t have authority for, you have your team to support and a normal job to do. you get 1+ of these calls per week. do you take the call?

no, you don’t. and that’s not even getting in to the many calamities that happen during interviewing that can make you jaded

it has 0 to do with a lack of humanity and everything to do with supporting your actual employees, being fair to the applicants who DID follow the process. ditch that whole line of thinking because it leads to you doing stuff like cold calling for jobs because you don’t understand how a business functions

edit: this logic is about cold calling, warm introductions do not work this way and are good in most situations

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 23, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cold calling is only acceptable if the job you are applying for is a cold calling sales job, in that case it’s a boss move

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i currently work in the biggest organisation i’ve ever worked in. i think there’s like 15 people? I got this job coz they were desperate and needed a locum, and then they kept me on. now I manage a pharmacy, very poorly I might add.

CarForumPoster posted:

it has 0 to do with a lack of humanity and everything to do with supporting your actual employees, being fair to the applicants who DID follow the process. ditch that whole line of thinking because it leads to you doing stuff like cold calling for jobs because you don’t understand how a business functions

edit: this logic is about cold calling, warm introductions do not work this way and are good in most situations

to be clear I wasn’t talking about cold calling, was talking about the dude who had a 2 year gap in tech work. and the general idea that someone who is interviewing or hiring being able to see a competent person even if the CV isn’t ideal. but it was correct to assume I know gently caress all. suppose most I can hope for is that someone doesn’t laugh in my face

i’m beginning to feel .. pathetic .. lol well I mean more than normal anyway. how much does it cost to hire a hitman on myself anyway.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's enough echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you could work for tiny companies forever and get by on pure human connection. but keep in mind, a company that can afford an HR department and a folder full of hiring policies is also a company that can afford to pay you market rate to do very little work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I hate it that I genuinely have to do work. as soon as I get to work I have to make up the methadone for the cool methadone crowd and then do some more work!! then someone comes in and shows me their toes.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

usually you gotta pay for that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wonder if the key to true happiness is being a bisexual podiatrist

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

i really should qualify it as companies that dont want to pay well are desperate. if they have money they can find the talent they need.

the company i work for is willing to pay on the higher end to get someone entry level rather than paying on the high end for a senior. it sucks cause that means they need to be trained and remote work isnt super great for that imo, but for that entry level guy the pay is gonna be alright.
echi i want to "amen" this because so much of the grind of computer job searching would be easier to take if companies didn't constantly harp about being desperate for people. they're desperate, but not desperate enough to change their own behavior

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
about a month ago i had 4 different companies approach me through my professional network, apparently out of the blue. this wasnt linkedin spam or anything, 3/4 of the contacts were phone calls from people i had worked with before, trying to poach me, and the fourth was a friend of a friend.

i took one of those jobs, at a 35% increase in base, 50% increase in total comp if the stock bonuses work out like they suggest. i wasnt looking for work at all, and i only have 4 years of experience out of college (with a bachelor's degree, at that). the market seems extremely hot to me.

there were like 150 people who started the same week as me at this company worldwide, lol. hiring like crazy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

echi i want to "amen" this because so much of the grind of computer job searching would be easier to take if companies didn't constantly harp about being desperate for people. they're desperate, but not desperate enough to change their own behavior

these companies will never change their behavior because it is better for the class of people who control them to fold the company than bend behavior

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
got an offer at a pretty large enterprise healthcare software company. like a billion plus in revenue, pretty cool coming from a start up. This large company purchased a start up that was like 5 or 6 years old, the rest of the small team bailed after their payouts so its the lead technical and the lead product guy who is also the founder. Pays 150K, no stock or anything, 10-20% bonuses based on ~stuff~ , work life balance seems nice and my calculus here is that I'll get exposed to a real company that is large and operating at scale to dovetail with my start up experience. Its a very mature company thats been in business for a long time and has a serious market share.

My concern is that they use off-shore indian devs and I've never worked with them. All I've heard from my limited previous start up experience is that off-shore dev situations are best avoided and if you walk into them be prepared to have to really micro-manage, overly specify stuff and write incredibly detailed user stories and requirements. The hiring manager and lead product guy mentioned they've been with them the whole time and its his team so maybe....better? But I'm not really sure if I should take it or decline.

The role will be responsible for integrating this start ups product into the wider enterprise suite to being with and than going from there so I expect alot of HL7 based API work to start with.

any thoughts? how annoying is running off-shore dev teams and such?

I also wrote a bunch of API's for my old company but like solution level style stuff like

code:
An API will be written to pass protected health information from the CRM to the EHR. 

Patient.firstName 
- basic Formatting requirements
-where its being written to in the EHR 

Patient.Admissiondate
-basic formatting requirements regarding
-where its being written to in the EHR

etc
etc
so I'm hoping thats good enough :shrug:

Also as a friendly reminder since it's just happened to me....government contracts means a drug test is part of the offer

E: A product role btw not software engineering or anything actually technical capital T like you guys

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 23, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Waroduce posted:

got an offer at a pretty large enterprise healthcare software company. like a billion plus in revenue, pretty cool coming from a start up. This large company purchased a start up that was like 5 or 6 years old, the rest of the small team bailed after their payouts so its the lead technical and the lead product guy who is also the founder. Pays 150K, no stock or anything, 10-20% bonuses based on ~stuff~ , work life balance seems nice and my calculus here is that I'll get exposed to a real company that is large and operating at scale to dovetail with my start up experience. Its a very mature company thats been in business for a long time and has a serious market share.

My concern is that they use off-shore indian devs and I've never worked with them. All I've heard from my limited previous start up experience is that off-shore dev situations are best avoided and if you walk into them be prepared to have to really micro-manage, overly specify stuff and write incredibly detailed user stories and requirements. The hiring manager and lead product guy mentioned they've been with them the whole time and its his team so maybe....better? But I'm not really sure if I should take it or decline.

The role will be responsible for integrating this start ups product into the wider enterprise suite to being with and than going from there so I expect alot of HL7 based API work to start with.

any thoughts? how annoying is running off-shore dev teams and such?

Also as a friendly reminder since it's just happened to me....government contracts means a drug test is part of the offer

E: A product role btw not software engineering or anything actually technical capital T like you guys

Ime working with offshore devs sucks if you're their peer having to wade through their lovely code. Otherwise, they give product people a deliverable, just like as if the team was local.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

these companies will never change their behavior because it is better for the class of people who control them to fold the company than bend behavior

nah they're just really loving dumb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can hire good offshore devs same as you can hire good local devs, but if a company is going offshore its because they're cost cutting and if they're cost cutting why not go all the way? this leads to most offshore dev interactions people have being bad. when you have bad devs (regardless of where they are) you have to constantly micro-manage them to keep them from making GBS threads all over everything and if those devs are offshore (especially in india) it means huge offsets in working hours. so either you have them work your hours, in which case you get the junior offshore devs who cant say no, or you have some more senior, more expensive devs who will require you to work closer to their hours.

kind of the exception here is if the offshore devs are employees of your company in an established office with the same team structure you have. that way you dont have to actually manage them and its more of a collaborative effort between teams. there are obviously other challenges there, but its generally a way better experience for everyone involved.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
sounds like a company i talked to earlier this year called cardinal health. i turned them down

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

nah they're just really loving dumb

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the golden rule of offshore dev is that you will get great results if you pay up the gold. 70k usd in bangalore, you can almost certainly get quality devs. 10k usd in bangalore, almost certainly not

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t know what we pay them, but we have an office in Trivandrum and some of the guys working there are very very good.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
shaggar was referring to the pay gap but i wasn't particularly

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Figured I would follow up on some of my posts from months ago asking for job advice:

Interviewed several places, turned down one job offer for a "solutions consultant" that was a glorified sales position, and am starting Monday as a Systems Analyst. I'll be working with a much more modern tech stack with more time spent on web development, along with much more freedom in designing solutions and choosing platforms for processes. I'll be making about 50% more than I was previously and I am very happy with that. I don't have to move and I'm still 60% remote. My spoiled dog will get even more spoiled (primary career financial goal right there) and I'm on track to pay off all my student loans in less than two years.

I wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions and gave me some guidance.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ardemia posted:

Figured I would follow up on some of my posts from months ago asking for job advice:

Interviewed several places, turned down one job offer for a "solutions consultant" that was a glorified sales position, and am starting Monday as a Systems Analyst. I'll be working with a much more modern tech stack with more time spent on web development, along with much more freedom in designing solutions and choosing platforms for processes. I'll be making about 50% more than I was previously and I am very happy with that. I don't have to move and I'm still 60% remote. My spoiled dog will get even more spoiled (primary career financial goal right there) and I'm on track to pay off all my student loans in less than two years.

I wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions and gave me some guidance.
goongrats! :toot:

stack that paper

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

congrats

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

All I've heard from my limited previous start up experience is that off-shore dev situations are best avoided and if you walk into them be prepared to have to really micro-manage, overly specify stuff and write incredibly detailed user stories and requirements.

in my last job, some of the best techs i worked with were offshore

in my current job, the offshores are logging “IN FIRST BRANCH OF IF CONDITION” at INFO level.

in short, offshore is a land of contrasts

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Ardemia posted:

:hellyeah:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ardemia posted:

:cheers:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I haven't had to do an interview in over 13 years, but I would like to be employed somewhere in the near future. Is "Dear Hiring Manager" still the right way to open a cover letter?

Also, who the gently caress posts a job with a salary range of $35,000-135,000? There has to be a typo but where, specifically? Not that it matters, the posting was deleted and 135k is nowhere near enough for a 5x10 work week and requirement to be on call 24/7.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
My guess is that they post a salary range to comply with new pay equality laws a lot of states have passed but they make the range huge so that the information is completely worthless.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

a dingus posted:

My guess is that they post a salary range to comply with new pay equality laws a lot of states have passed but they make the range huge so that the information is completely worthless.

If true, IMO the information is really valuable in that I can see the company resents having to comply with laws that impart basic humanity on workers. Don't need the salary for somewhere I don't wanna work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ardemia posted:

another yospos success story

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

GWBBQ posted:

I haven't had to do an interview in over 13 years, but I would like to be employed somewhere in the near future. Is "Dear Hiring Manager" still the right way to open a cover letter?

Also, who the gently caress posts a job with a salary range of $35,000-135,000? There has to be a typo but where, specifically? Not that it matters, the posting was deleted and 135k is nowhere near enough for a 5x10 work week and requirement to be on call 24/7.

i would have noped out at "requires cover letter"

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
a recruiter messaged me on linkedin and opened with "I recently helped your colleague [name here] find a new role are you open to new roles?" without any sort of prompting or previous relevant conversation.

that person hasn't handed in their notice yet and as far as I know hasn't told anyone at our org yet, some recruiters are just loving dicks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xik posted:

a recruiter messaged me on linkedin and opened with "I recently helped your colleague [name here] find a new role are you open to new roles?" without any sort of prompting or previous relevant conversation.

that person hasn't handed in their notice yet and as far as I know hasn't told anyone at our org yet, some recruiters are just loving dicks

what a dick

on the other hand this person is apparently an effective recruiter which is just as rare as the nice but ineffectual recruiter

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

qsvui posted:

i would have noped out at "requires cover letter"
Nobody requires it, but I was thinking I might have better luck with one. I'm not all that enthusiastic about anything I've applied for (recruiters and temp agencies can particularly go gently caress themselves) but I'd like to find somewhere with decent benefits sometime soon. I'm not going to rush into another job that makes me miserable like the one I left a few months ago did, but I'm still looking for something.

Getting paid to do nothing might sound good at face value, but when you have to spend 8 hours a day keeping a chair warm doing nothing, having to pretend that you're doing something, and attending meetings where all you can do is talk out of your rear end about the things you "did" turns into a living hell way faster than you would ever imagine. I looked at US Forest Service jobs a few months ago in the hope that I could never have to look at a computer again, but all they had open were IT jobs.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Trying to jump subfields closer to what I studied for my masters a decade ago, managed to land a tech screen over the phone, but it became clear very quickly that the material I had reviewed wasn't enough to shake off the rust that had built up over the course of the past ten years.

However, the manager actually offered a chance for me to come back at a later date after taking more time to go over my course notes. I've never had this happen before - should it be an indication that they're having trouble finding a candidate, a red flag that the organization is desperate for workers of any quality, or what?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that was someone being nice to you. maybe they liked you, maybe they were just trying to be nice

it's not a red flag, but also don't count on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it says they're thinking they'll still be hiring for that position when you have studied up and re-applied, which i guess could be a red flag.

like if this is a small business that hires one new person every couple of years then that might be a bit of a side-eye. if it's a larger company with steady turnover that's basically always hiring for that role then it doesn't mean anything.

if they were desperate for workers of any quality they'd have just hired you and hoped that on-the-job training would be sufficient to bring you up to speed.