Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Goast posted:

it wont stop stupid people whining about it sadly

There's a fundamental gap in the way some people approach politics that results in this sort of thing. If you primarily perceive politics as a form of self-expression (which is the way people are conditioned to perceive politics in our society), you tend to focus on the moral/intellectual judgement of individuals.

So to such people, someone like Blumenthal or Greenwald having a dumb opinion is relevant, because they're not really discussing "politics" so much as "do I like this person or consider this person consistent with my own preferred self-expression?"

In the same way as one might determine the movies or music they like, and how they might express this to others (or judge others for liking bad music/movies), the same applies to political public figures like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Yeah it's kinda hosed up how much of journalism is policy advice imo. It should be more straight reporting on facts. Keep that poo poo to editorials. Although point taken about the covid stuff in particular being kept to Twitter etc.

that's not really possible though - if you publish a story about how NATO is funding Ukrainian Nazis, it comes with an implicit message that you want NATO to loving stop that (indeed, that you would even begin the investigation and publish the story is also because you want NATO to stop that)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
hey I’m just calling balls and strikes

who made the rules? not my department, buddy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

indigi posted:

Jimmy was also pushing ivermectin and saying mRNA vaccines don’t work
cease posting and take remedial reading comprehension courses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

comedyblissoption posted:

cease posting and take remedial reading comprehension courses

I didn’t read I watched the multiple videos he made on it interviewing cranks and calling it “gene therapy”

also lol “NOT FOR USE IN HUMANS”

https://twitter.com/jimmy_dore/status/1434649181444997122?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Jimmy Dore got vaccinated

2. Jimmy Dore received ivermectin in a form intended for use by humans, as prescribed to him by a doctor

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Can we all agree to end calling a grown man Jimmy? James Dore.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

eh I prefer Jimmy, it flows better with his last name

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Jimmy Dore got vaccinated

2. Jimmy Dore received ivermectin in a form intended for use by humans, as prescribed to him by a doctor

I never disputed either of these facts?

e: I want to make clear that I like the Grayzone and think they do phenomenal work, though I wish they’d get a better editor and tighten up the writing on their articles

indigi has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Oct 13, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

It's a little weird that even after all this Glenn anti-lockdowns talk it doesn't seem like anyone's presented some kind of coherent critique of his on the lockdowns. Why does Glenn think lockdowns are bad? I really don't know. If he's just talking poo poo on twitter I guess we'll never know.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

I really regret bringing up Max's views on Covid in this thread.

I don't care. The whole point was to say that people don't have to have perfect opinions to do useful reporting.

Theres this infestation in believing that the media personality you like must be pure of all sin rather than treating them in a transactional relationship, where you give them your money and time and they give you news on what's going on in the world.

They aren't your friends, they are flawed human beings trying to survive in capitalisms hellscape and if they aren't, then you really really shouldn't trust them.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

indigi posted:

eh I prefer Jimmy, it flows better with his last name

That's why I prefer to call him cellar

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a little weird that even after all this Glenn anti-lockdowns talk it doesn't seem like anyone's presented some kind of coherent critique of his on the lockdowns. Why does Glenn think lockdowns are bad? I really don't know. If he's just talking poo poo on twitter I guess we'll never know.

as far as I can tell it boils down to 1) lockdowns make people sad and might have increased suicides 2) can bankrupt small businesses 3) poor people who can’t work go broke and/or homeless if they stop getting paid for even one cycle 4) vague concerns about stifling children’s education

I’m sympathetic to 3 in the specific case of America and other neolib hellhole nations, but places that took efforts to ameliorate that have been pretty effective

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
it's why the funniest conspiracy option is that covid was an American made bioweapon released to cripple china but they shrugged it of and we got the brunt of the effect

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hope this helps

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

paul_soccer12 posted:

hope this helps

it won't lol

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

paul_soccer12 posted:

hope this helps

yeah seems like the lack of a militant labor movement guaranteed this would be the result when a crisis like this hit.

should say destruction of labor instead of lack but you get my point

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Let's move on from Covid bullshit to Bellingcat.

https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/case-studies/2018/04/19/methodology-tracked-illegal-shipment-sarin-precursor-belgium-syria/

Reading some old stuff it's insane to see what they get away with.

Methodology: How we Tracked the Illegal Shipment of Sarin Precursor from Belgium to Syria

quote:

Our year long investigation revealed many key pieces of information located through open source investigative techniques.

So they spent a year on google checking publicly available info about this. Isopropanol (or isopropyl alcohol) is a "Sarin precursor" and since 2013 prohibited to sell to Syira (in concentrations over 95%).

Imagine getting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the CIA for revealing that Syria bought hand sanitizer from Belgium.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

I didn’t read I watched the multiple videos he made on it

brutal self own

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hedenius posted:

https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/case-studies/2018/04/19/methodology-tracked-illegal-shipment-sarin-precursor-belgium-syria/

Methodology: How we Tracked the Illegal Shipment of Sarin Precursor from Belgium to Syria

So they spent a year on google checking publicly available info about this. Isopropanol (or isopropyl alcohol) is a "Sarin precursor" and since 2013 prohibited to sell to Syira (in concentrations over 95%).

Imagine getting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the CIA for revealing that Syria bought hand sanitizer from Belgium.

Omg lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hedenius posted:

*big bellingcat meeting researching sarin gas production* oh poo poo you can get 99% isopropyl alcohol on Amazon, nobody tell Assad!!!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I've never really look at Bellingcat's "journalism" before and so much of it is absolutely insane clickbait poo poo!

And I literally laughed out loud when I saw this one:

Their guides for research are absolutely hilarious.

LOL

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hedenius posted:

I've never really look at Bellingcat's "journalism" before and so much of it is absolutely insane clickbait poo poo!

And I literally laughed out loud when I saw this one:

Their guides for research are absolutely hilarious.

LOL

jesus lmao i cant stop laughing at the microsoft flight simulator source

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fart simpson posted:

jesus lmao i cant stop laughing at the microsoft flight simulator source

bellingcat groverhaus expose when

night slime
May 14, 2014
Pricks should go monetize gaming on Twitch like everyone else has to...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
New moderate rebels with michael hudson.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

moderate rebels can be good sometimes but drat if they don’t keep dragging on and on for way too long sometimes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Ben Norton going "I'm almost done" and when you check the podcast there is still an hour left.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ben Norton going "I'm almost done" and when you check the podcast there is still an hour left.

when max is the only one trying to keep it on topic and brief, your in for a long podcast

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Max is right . https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1450542096956461057

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah god knows the people in the hospital aren’t vulnerable

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
max’s right

https://twitter.com/TheGrayzoneNews/status/1450675405183197186?s=20

hth

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Hedenius posted:

Lmao, in the lab I worked in we had jugs upon jugs of isopropyl. We used it for cleaning glassware and what not, useful stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
https://twitter.com/TheGrayzoneNews/status/1451189783825305617

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

By the way she sounds like Bart Simpson.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1451924318577991687

Ben is right about the Whore of Babylon using wokery to push imperialism.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mayman10 posted:

Lmao, in the lab I worked in we had jugs upon jugs of isopropyl. We used it for cleaning glassware and what not, useful stuff.

"rules-based order" aka "I make the rules up as I please"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
https://twitter.com/Jessicalessin/s...ber%3D1303pti19

Lol

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/maxblumenthal/status/1433295789716086787?s=21

Chomsky’s right

night slime