Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

I feel like it does tbh

Hey pal, my stupidity is all me, don't blame the bleach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I enjoyed Halloween Resurrection more than the original Halloween.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it's just one of those things that became a saying despite not being accurate. My taste buds aren't in the greatest shape and even I can usually taste the difference between brands. It might be hard to do a blind taste test and tell which is which, but they usually have at least some distinct flavor/aftertaste that sets them apart from each other.

I can tell cheap bottom-shelf vodka apart from midrange-to-good vodka but that's about as precise as my taste buds get on that particular test.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I honestly prefer the bottom tier, bottom shelf "Kinda tastes a little like lighter fluid smells" vodka over the good stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you can't make it clear that you're being sarcastic without putting "/s" at the end of it, you should either go back to the drawing board and make it clear or just not post it. I see so many people type the dumbest poo poo and put /s on it as if that makes it a good post. You aren't being accommodating, you're abusing a tag to excuse your lazy posting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah that's reasonable. If a shithole autistic magnet like SomethingAwful (saying that as an autistic, don't mistake that for bigotry) can persist for 21 straight years without needing an /s tag, I think it's fair that loving reddit or tumblr or Discord can up their game a bit.

But they won't. People are gonna be poo poo at writing and even more poo poo at reading, so /s is probably gonna stay.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've been probed a few times because a mod thought I was being serious with my "LF style" posting, but I've also just made poo poo posts when really drunk so I guess I see both sides. /s is a crutch for people who should be able to walk though, so yeah. Apt for reddit in general I guess.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the trick is to make your shitposts really lovely. You want it so that there is no air of legitimacy, just madhat poo poo

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I believe in nuance, so that even I don't know if the post was sincere if I read it again after sobering up.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Now, I don't want to make any of you envious, but it is 57° F in my house right now.

Hell yeah.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Aramek posted:

Now, I don't want to make any of you envious, but it is 57° F in my house right now.

Hell yeah.

I keep my place at 68 degrees all summer long and don’t turn on the heat until it hits 55 inside. And then I keep it at 64.

Cold rules.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
During the big Texas freeze last winter the heat at work the heat went out and I kinda adored it being like 50 degrees inside. Except for a new guy washed one of the dogs and didn't know we have a drier for them, so the poor guy was in his metal kennel wet and freezing. He got found out and got lots of warmth and love though. Dog is ok now :)

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Robobot posted:

I keep my place at 68 degrees all summer long and don’t turn on the heat until it hits 55 inside. And then I keep it at 64.

Cold rules.

I tend to keep it set to 62 in the winter just to try and save on the gas bill.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I hope they release the 5 hour cut of Dune, and keep adapting the rest of the series, two movies for each book, each movie with a five hour extended cut. That would kick rear end.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Aramek posted:

I tend to keep it set to 62 in the winter just to try and save on the gas bill.

You have my envy, 64 is the deal I struck with my girlfriend otherwise 60 would be fine by me.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I hope they release the 5 hour cut of Dune, and keep adapting the rest of the series, two movies for each book, each movie with a five hour extended cut. That would kick rear end.

Watched it a few days ago and loved it. Denis Villeneuve is one of the best, if not the, directors working today.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

All you cold-house people are crazy. If it's cold enough inside that I need to wear clothes, something's wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I'm not a real fan of Villeneuve or Dune, but I hope for this as well just because there's not gonna be anything else like it and the global audience deserves to be taken on that batshit ride.

Probably box office poison and prohibitively expensive though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Robobot posted:

Cold rules.

gently caress yes. Having a cold house and burrowing under several warm blankets to read/shitpost/watch media is a great feeling.

I hate going over to people’s houses in the winter and they’ve got the thermostat cranked up to ‘sauté’ and I’m wearing a couple layers of clothing and instantly start sweating.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not a real fan of Villeneuve or Dune, but I hope for this as well just because there's not gonna be anything else like it and the global audience deserves to be taken on that batshit ride.

Probably box office poison and prohibitively expensive though.

https://twitter.com/healthcare_plz/status/1451626321461788673?s=20

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a bit too much to be worth unpacking in that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The Margaret Atwood news shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, the fact that she always insisted her books weren't scifi was evidence enough that she was a bad person

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gripweed posted:

The Margaret Atwood news shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, the fact that she always insisted her books weren't scifi was evidence enough that she was a bad person

She described a stop sign as “a red hexagon which means Stop”.

Absolutely deranged.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Gripweed posted:

Context?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Her books absolutely are scifi.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Transphobic tweet. Standard procedure really:

For someone who made their name writing dystopian sci-fi it's very much pissing on the third rail unprompted.

Then again I always thought her that while her poo poo was insightful enough, it was in a way that read as more "Doesn't it suck to be this person? But if you're the one in charge I bet it's loving sweet" than "hey so these paradigms are bullshit and need to get torn down if we want to thrive as a community." So it's not a surprise that actual marginalized people fighting and straining read to her as rabble that need to "do it the correct way."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Transphobic tweet. Standard procedure really:

Dang.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Again anyone who paid attention to her poo poo really isn't surprised right now, like at all. She's always been a pompous, pretentious "ivory tower" type author who demonstrably resented her most popular work being (correctly) lumped in with the sweaty nerds going "we live in a society."

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Oct 23, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The classic "got mine, gently caress you" feminist

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Robobot posted:

Cold rules.

Yeah 68 is a fine default temperature. I always get these emails during the summer about how i'm using 30% more electricity than my neighbors, but whatever at least i'm comfortable.

During the summer, AC is always at 68. When the outside temperature gets below around 65 and overnight temperatures in the 40s, i open all the windows. I only go back to closed-windows with heater when it goes down to the 20s outside. A cold house/apartment is nice because you can always cover up with blankets etc but if you're one of those 78-82 degree weirdos like my grandparents there is no escaping the discomfort. You could be totally naked with a fan on and it'd still be too hot.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
69 is the nicest home temperature

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vashro posted:

69 is the nicest home temperature

They say room temperature is between 68-72 and 69 happens to be right in the middle of that. Like divine will

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Margret Atwood has always been an absolute poo poo writer. Hopefully now people will shut the gently caress up about the pure drivel that is handmaid's tale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Wall is an absolutely poo poo album with some really great singles, totally suffocated with Roger Waters banal ballads about how he's so sad his daddy wasn't around. the movie is okay

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The Gate to Women's Country is far superior to The Handmaid's Tale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty excited about trying Windows 11. If the update pops up I'm downloading immediately. I think it's pretty.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The first few Harry Potters have better writing and equivalent lovely politics to Handmaid's Tale

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

movie critics are almost universally lame and Ebert was the biggest humorless fart huffing critic of them all

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hawowanlawow posted:

movie critics are almost universally lame and Ebert was the biggest humorless fart huffing critic of them all

He used to be pretty funny. I like his Chungking Express review.

quote:

At UCLA last summer, Quentin Tarantino introduced a screening of "Chungking Express” and confessed that while watching it on video, "I just started crying.” He cried not because the movie was sad, he said, but because "I'm just so happy to love a movie this much.” I didn't have to take out my handkerchief a single time during the film, and I didn't love it nearly as much as he did, but I know what he meant: This is the kind of movie you'll relate to if you love film itself, rather than its surface aspects such as story and stars.

quote:

Many of today's younger filmgoers, fed only by the narrow selections at video stores, are not as curious or knowledgeable and may simply be puzzled by "Chungking Express” instead of challenged. It needs to be said, in any event, that a film like this is largely a cerebral experience: You enjoy it because of what you know about film, not because of what it knows about life.

In any case, Tarantino may weep again when he sees the box-office figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My unpopular opinion is that 77 degrees is the perfect indoor temp in the summer, 72 in winter. Being warm is great.

Also, Raynauds Syndrome gives me gross cadaver-like hands and feet if it’s cold* and they look really gross.

*less than 68 degrees