Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Quiet Feet posted:

Thats fair. *holsters forks*

To tell the truth I haven't driven a forklift in years. Not since... the incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Quiet Feet posted:

People best be not talking poo poo about forklift drivers in here.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Fangio is done, he's definitely getting fired by the end of the year. Whether or not he's done by midseason probably depends if the Broncos can even beat the WFT next week.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
yeah buckle up buttercup cuz you roll with me and you bound to get offended by all my rude and lewd forklift driver jokes

did you know you need a special license to operate a forklift? its why i can only eat with spoons

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Quiet Feet posted:

People best be not talking poo poo about forklift drivers in here.

MAKE WAY FOR THE ROBOTS

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

DariusLikewise posted:

Fangio is done, he's definitely getting fired by the end of the year. Whether or not he's done by midseason probably depends if the Broncos can even beat the WFT next week.

Who is the interim? Shurmur???

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Woozie66 posted:

Who is the interim? Shurmur???

I would not fire Vic Fangio midseason unless there was some sort of misconduct. He isn't hurting anything by lasting out the season. I'm not saying the Broncos front office won't do that, but they're stupid and have a proven record of stupidity to prove it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sweet geek swag posted:

I would not fire Vic Fangio midseason unless there was some sort of misconduct. He isn't hurting anything by lasting out the season. I'm not saying the Broncos front office won't do that, but they're stupid and have a proven record of stupidity to prove it.

Yeah he's a dead man walking in all likelihood but normal bad to me. If you want to get out in front of the coaching search in December I guess go ahead and fire him. Or if you think the Raiders are targeting whoever you want fire him now, but...I'd let the Raiders Raider personally. Other than that let him finish out the year and shoo him away.

I mean you're passing up a small chance at a wild card playoff appearance I guess, but I just don't think the Broncos are a very good team even if they didn't have half of the defense hurt.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Magicpants posted:

yeah buckle up buttercup cuz you roll with me and you bound to get offended by all my rude and lewd forklift driver jokes

did you know you need a special license to operate a forklift? its why i can only eat with spoons
Can’t tell if you’re serious about the license, but I could understand it. I operated one as a kid way back and was overwhelmed by all the levers and poo poo (people probably shouldn’t have let a kid operate a forklift in the first place). The mental multitasking to handle that stuff may help for head coaching :colbert:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah he's a dead man walking in all likelihood but normal bad to me. If you want to get out in front of the coaching search in December I guess go ahead and fire him. Or if you think the Raiders are targeting whoever you want fire him now, but...I'd let the Raiders Raider personally. Other than that let him finish out the year and shoo him away.

I mean you're passing up a small chance at a wild card playoff appearance I guess, but I just don't think the Broncos are a very good team even if they didn't have half of the defense hurt.

Once you’re ready to fire the guy you should fire him. What’s the point in keeping him around and giving him a chance to win just enough to save his job for long enough to gently caress up next year too?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Once you’re ready to fire the guy you should fire him. What’s the point in keeping him around and giving him a chance to win just enough to save his job for long enough to gently caress up next year too?

The best example I can think of is Dan Quinn, who went in to the bye with only like one win and then rallied to finish 7-9 in 2019 and then stayed around for 2020 only to get fired after a month.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

The best example I can think of is Dan Quinn, who went in to the bye with only like one win and then rallied to finish 7-9 in 2019 and then stayed around for 2020 only to get fired after a month.

Exactly the example I had in mind and I remember arguing for firing him at the bye and people said “what’s the point, let him finish out the season.”

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Exactly the example I had in mind and I remember arguing for firing him at the bye and people said “what’s the point, let him finish out the season.”

Yeah but what if Shurmur does that as interim coach, that’s even worse!

wyoak fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 23, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I mean you should make up your mind that he is gone after the season right now of course.

What if Pat Shurmur goes on an unlikely winning streak? That's dangerous territory too.

efb

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I mean you should make up your mind that he is gone after the season right now of course.

What if Pat Shurmur goes on an unlikely winning streak? That's dangerous territory too.

efb

Nothing ever works this way. Guys don’t get fired when they end the season on a long win streak because owners and management get fooled into thinking a corner has been turned. Players advocate for the guy because they’re feeling good about winning and feel like their positions on the team are stable. The media loves a redemption story so he gets favorable coverage. It’s a lot harder to stick to the convictions you had 3 months previously when things were going very differently.

And once management has decided a guy is gone their interests and his interests are not necessarily aligned. He’s desperate to save his job, while the front office might be more interested in evaluating players and making trades to stock up on draft capital.

An interim is a perfect caretaker because they are pliable and nobody has any expectations that they will get the full time job. No matter how well they do you can still do a coaching search at the end of the year and treat them like any other candidate.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll get more into this in my next rankings update (coming soon!) but Fangio doesn't strike me as a midseason fire candidate at all. He's very respected around the league, and at his age this is probably his only shot at the big chair, so if nothing else they might give him the dignity of finishing out the season. Everybody wanted it to work out and it really hasn't, but I don't see a reason to just yeet him out now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 23, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Denver's won games and doesn't have a real quarterback, those both don't seem like things that necessitate an emergency situation like a mid-season firing.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They have a new GM and he’ll probably want his own guy but I’d expect him to give him the full year to evaluate. I’d be pretty surprised if Fangio was back next year though.

It’s a similar situation to Bowles. Excellent defensive coordinator that was merely decent as an in game head coach and was significantly hampered by not having a QB.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I think the Raiders are in a fun situation where they have a QB and some young talent and just happen to need a head coach that doesn't slur. You have to wonder is this a situation where you go and get some young offensive HC or maybe it's a situation that's good enough to coax like a Marvin Lewis to come out (but pls no Hue Jackson)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

I think the Raiders are in a fun situation where they have a QB and some young talent and just happen to need a head coach that doesn't slur. You have to wonder is this a situation where you go and get some young offensive HC or maybe it's a situation that's good enough to coax like a Marvin Lewis to come out (but pls no Hue Jackson)
Hell, it’s a great chance for Bisaccia. I can’t see them passing him up if the team makes the playoffs, which still seems like a realistic proposition(though by no means certain).

Given how successful Harbs has been in Baltimore, I’m surprised teams don’t hire ST coaches for HC jobs more often.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sounds like a team is ready for the Joe Brady experience.

Go ahead and get rid of your tight ends now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Didn't hue Jackson specifically sell the farm to get Carson freaking palmer when Al died

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
And tried to do it in Cleveland for Aj McCarron

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

lol Adam Gase. Christopher Johnson was caught on camera saying the "Team better show up" before playing the Jags in 2019, which the 1-6 Jets did not show up at all. The following week they lost to the winless Dolphins, which is when he should have been fired. Instead the team went on to win 6 of 8 against a stretch of terrible opponents. Then it was all about how Gase had turned it around, figured it out and the team was going places. Then they went 2-14 and fired him anyway.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Hell, it’s a great chance for Bisaccia. I can’t see them passing him up if the team makes the playoffs, which still seems like a realistic proposition(though by no means certain).

Given how successful Harbs has been in Baltimore, I’m surprised teams don’t hire ST coaches for HC jobs more often.

I think if the Raiders miss playoffs then Mayock is going to bring in a whole new staff

If the Raiders make playoffs then Bisaccia is given a fair shake in the interview process

If the Raiders get a playoff win I think they announce Bisaccia as new HC

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Didn't hue Jackson specifically sell the farm to get Carson freaking palmer when Al died

a first and a second, which if they didn't immediately ship him off to arizona for peanuts was probably a fair enough deal considering he played for 7 years after the trade to the raiders.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Benne posted:

I'll get more into this in my next rankings update (coming soon!) but Fangio doesn't strike me as a midseason fire candidate at all. He's very respected around the league, and at his age this is probably his only shot at the big chair, so if nothing else they might give him the dignity of finishing out the season. Everybody wanted it to work out and it really hasn't, but I don't see a reason to just yeet him out now.

The Broncos look pretty listless right. They got beat by the Browns backup QB and third string RB. Their defense has had injuries but not being able to get the ball back with 5 minutes left and all three timeouts is pretty pathetic. I don't think Fangio is going right away but I definitely think if he doesn't win any of their next three games before their bye week Elway will pull the plug.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Settling for your interim coach always works, just ask Freddie Kitchens and Mike Singletary

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benne posted:

Settling for your interim coach always works, just ask Freddie Kitchens and Mike Singletary

Now I'm curious. Has it ever worked?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The two most successful interim coaches ever are Marv Levy and Jeff Fisher

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

BlindSite posted:

Don Coryell and Marv Levy come to mind

Edit: Coryell had previous experience though, dunno if you only wanted 1st-time HCs that went interim => re-hired

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'd be shocked if they didn't hire Bieniemy for all the obvious reasons

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Benne posted:

Chiefs and Romeo Crennell

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Benne posted:

Um actually! The Browns interim HC was Gregggggggg

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Seahawks subreddit was calling for Ken Norton to be fired in favor of gregggg lol. Seahawks fans are dumb as hell.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

Ed Orgeron

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BlindSite posted:

Doing some research, Marv Levy is probably the most successful example, but unlike most he was hired as an interim coach from outside the existing Bills organization.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Well, for one really good year anyway.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

oldskool posted:

I'd be shocked if they didn't hire Bieniemy for all the obvious reasons

Someone with his history is a no go for the Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

Someone with his history is a no go for the Raiders.

*still employs Tom Cable*