Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Pryor on Fire posted:

there's also the oilman and nuclear flavors of engineer, but I don't think I ever encountered one of those in the wild

I've known a couple geological engineers and it's very much "the oil industry is a straight line between me and a lot of money" and that is entirely the end of their thought process on the matter forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Yep literally everyone rationalizes it by saying "Well if I don't do it, they'll just pay someone else"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

I've known a couple geological engineers and it's very much "the oil industry is a straight line between me and a lot of money" and that is entirely the end of their thought process on the matter forever.

yeah my friends from high school in alaska who went into oil all do the same poo poo on social media to explain away why what they do at ConocoPhillips or CH2MHILL is actually okay and probably good.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

All I know about oil engineers is they get really mad when you point to all the "impossible" real examples of fracking fluid spills and leaks into groundwater and abandoned gas rigs blowing up people in their basements. They just refuse to believe you and say no the person must have been blown up by natural methane and the you send them some links and they never talk to you again.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

All I know about nuclear engineers is that they get really mad when you tell them about your buddy who got so irradiated working at Rocky Flats that he would set off the radiation detectors at the entrance designed to keep people from smuggling out plutonium.

This was a regular problem, dozens of workers got so thoroughly irradiated from the regular, unreported accidents that management freaked out because there was no way to detect plutonium theft anymore. So they just started firing people who popped hot, problem solved.

You just don't understand atoms bruh

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i know a former oil company exec who has successfully washed all of their sins away in the nonprofit sector and sleeps very peacefully at night

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

God Hole posted:

i know a former oil company exec who has successfully washed all of their sins away in the nonprofit sector and sleeps very peacefully at night

You knew T. Boone Pickens?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BradStone/status/1451580316066332676

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

if theyre going to be this obscenely wealthy by working people to the bone the least they could do is build pyramids and massive statues that could be admired thousands of years later

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They're getting giant yachts because they know they're going to make the planet mostly ocean

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pryor on Fire posted:

All I know about oil engineers is they get really mad when you point to all the "impossible" real examples of fracking fluid spills and leaks into groundwater and abandoned gas rigs blowing up people in their basements. They just refuse to believe you and say no the person must have been blown up by natural methane and the you send them some links and they never talk to you again.

Also the trucks carrying water from fracking are radioactive because uranium and its pals come up with the water.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

Now imagine all those unmarked, unshielded radioactive trucks getting parked next to each other at truck stops, or at a Mcdonald's.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: wrong thread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Also the trucks carrying water from fracking are radioactive because uranium and its pals come up with the water.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

Now imagine all those unmarked, unshielded radioactive trucks getting parked next to each other at truck stops, or at a Mcdonald's.

when hte trucks and fracking infrastructure get scrapped, they get donated to schools and towns to build playgrounds with lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking forward to hearing about how this yacht is green eco friendly since it's got sails on it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

thought i was in the guillotine thread for a second

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Forseti posted:

Yep literally everyone rationalizes it by saying "Well if I don't do it, they'll just pay someone else"

Nah, some will rationalize it by saying "it will only be used by good guys to stop bad guys, and that's Good".
And some will replace good and bad with white and black.

Anyway, I'm guessing the silver lining is that AI is trained on white people and has trouble recognizing anyone else, which is bad for self driving cars but good for killdrones :shrug:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

BonHair posted:

Nah, some will rationalize it by saying "it will only be used by good guys to stop bad guys, and that's Good".
And some will replace good and bad with white and black.

Anyway, I'm guessing the silver lining is that AI is trained on white people and has trouble recognizing anyone else, which is bad for self driving cars but good for killdrones :shrug:

Unless they tell it !whitey... but they probably wouldn't do that

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ArmZ posted:

thought i was in the guillotine thread for a second

they're all guillotine threads

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looking forward to hearing about how this yacht is green eco friendly since it's got sails on it.

As yachts go that one looking to be quite fuel efficient in favorable conditions. Pay no attention to the second yacht sailing with it that has vehicle support like a helicopter pad and speedboats and probably a submersible. And it's the crew quarters for the first one, because peasants sleeping on the mega yacht is so 2000s. And it's the oceangoing office because doing work at home is what mansions are for, ew.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

That article is kinda annoying because there's some genuinely hosed up stuff in there (way too much radium in the water causing chronic problems for workers, people getting cancer years later etc) mixed in with a bunch of not actually problems but Radioactivity Is Scary.

But lmao at this dude:

quote:

“AquaSalina is 400-million-year-old ancient seawater from the Silurian Age” that “contains a perfect natural balance of chlorides uniquely suited for snow and ice management,” Dave Mansbery, owner of Duck Creek Energy, the Ohio-based company that produces AquaSalina, tells Rolling Stone. “We recycle and repurpose this natural water to a higher purpose.” He told regional news station WKRC that he soaked his sore feet in AquaSalina.

Mansbery said that he tested for heavy metals and saw “no red flags.” Asked if he tested for radioactive elements, he stated, “We test as required by the state law and regulatory agencies.”

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the last oilfield-workin' engineer I met called me a rube for paying for laser eye surgery when instead I could simply train my eyes to see clearly

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

blatman posted:

the last oilfield-workin' engineer I met called me a rube for paying for laser eye surgery when instead I could simply train my eyes to see clearly

you imbecile. you simpleton. simply circulate qi behind your eyes in order to burn out bodily impurity

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My boss said he and his daughter are both doing the eye-training thing together.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jazerus posted:

you imbecile. you simpleton. simply circulate qi behind your eyes in order to burn out bodily impurity

mao zedong actually had rural peeps do this instead of getting glasses, in addition to the tcm thing

its hurt the rural glasses campaign quite a lot, because principals wont budget money for glasses, just time for the rubbing thing

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Oct 23, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Carthag Tuek posted:

hippie -> libertarian -> fascist pipeline

Someone in pyf made a passing comment about the causal chain between NFTs and nazis and the next couple posters went ballistic on them lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

30.5 Days posted:

My boss said he and his daughter are both doing the eye-training thing together.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

mao zedong actually had rural peeps do this instead of getting glasses, in addition to the tcm thing

its hurt the rural glasses campaign quite a lot, because principals wont budget money for glasses, just time for the rubbing thing

what in blue blazes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://shanghaiist.com/2015/04/22/students-china-eye-exercises-myopia/

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Nearly every engineer I've met has been a righting nut.

Plenty of scientists and mathematicians have been cool though

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Everyone in liberal arts is, sadly, a liberal

Whodathunk it

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm going to sink Jeff bozo's yacht

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stevie Lee posted:

NOT BEFORE I HAVE FILTHY POOP-SEX WITH IT

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1451595187566698496

https://twitter.com/pjmclaugh/status/1451730541443784704

lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

abramovich’s yacht had lasers on it to blind photographers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If you're the actual richest man in the world, why would you build such a boring yacht?

Build something stupid, like this, go all out:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You don't want to have your mobile Epstein sex harem visible from too far away.
Just in case the bodies afterwards wash up somewhere and are seen.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Blockade posted:

Nearly every engineer I've met has been a righting nut.

Plenty of scientists and mathematicians have been cool though

lovely engineers are indeed disproportionately chuds, probably because engineering schools let you skip liberals arts, and that’s just loving terrible for learning to actually think. Good engineers are all over the map though, probably closer to educated personnel in general.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Forseti posted:

Unless they tell it !whitey... but they probably wouldn't do that

If you tell the killbots to ignore white people the terrorists will just weaponize albinos!

Plus, you know, a lot of people who are considered white are quite swarthy, while some people who are considered brown are brown due to culture not skin tone. Then you get some of those Jersey Shore fucks who have tanned themselves south of the paper bag line but still expect to be treated as white despite having a darker skin tone than many brown people. It's a mess. It's like "white" isn't a real thing at all.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

happyhippy posted:

You don't want to have your mobile Epstein sex harem visible from too far away.
Just in case the bodies afterwards wash up somewhere and are seen.

it’s like an iceberg. that visible part of the yacht is public facing, servants, rental space, PR opportunity etc. you know there’s a sealab sized underwater compound attached where the freaky poo poo goes down

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Kim’s Convience is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

30.5 Days posted:

That ask a manager story really drives home how loving stupid managers are. Like this lady pulls out the email chain & coins start spilling out of HR's mouth like a loving slot machine, and this guy can't figure out what is really going on.

I am willing to bet ten million quatloos the manager is white and the employee is not.

The idea of a disobedient or non-cooperative person of color really drives some people beyond all rational thought or self-preservation.