Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Toxic Activism" is a pretty stupid idea but a good name for a punk band.

Oh poo poo, yeah, I wish I was 15 and had the patience to learn 3 different cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Memento posted:

They wanted it to be a good view of the revolver in the scene where he catches Funboy in bed with Darla, but they didn't want "real" bullets on set. So they took the regular ammo, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and re-seated the bullets so the gun would look the part when viewed from the front. At some point in time, the gun was fired with this configuration, which meant that the primer went off, providing just enough pressure to put a projectile in the barrel. Then, for another scene, they loaded the same gun with blanks, which are a case with powder and no projectile, but because there was a projectile in the barrel already, the powder in the blank was enough to put the bullet into Brandon Lee's spine :(

Back in the 1980s, if I remember the story correctly, there was a TV production that had a gun on the set, loaded with blanks. Between takes, one of the actors, apparently in an attempt to be funny, put the gun to his temple and fired it. And at zero range, the energy just from a blank's gunpowder has no chance to dissipate, and so even without a bullet it's plenty enough to shatter a skull.

e: Found a link, this was the guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Oct 23, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
" Toxic, in-your-face activism? No" ~ the cops frantically barricading themselves inside the Stonewall Inn

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that article is just shameless recycling of all the TERF hits, there's no merit in it to begin with and it doesn't magically gain merit because they found a trans person with enough self loathing to say it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Here's the article. It was written by a trans woman. I am making no statement by posting it.

I will say I think this particular issue requires nuance and the internet is not at all made for that

All the nuance required is having any loving memory at all for history. There is not a single advance in rights for minorities in the US that was not gained by people being violent against their oppressor. Suffragettes did not politely ask for the right to vote, Gay and Lesbian folks did not gain what few rights they have by being nice (the first Pride was literally a riot) and Trans people will not be afforded effective legal protections as long as people are polite in their responses to bigoted sacks of poo poo that attack Trans people.

Hell, the white-washing done in the wake of passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (where people seem to no longer be aware that the only reason it was passed was because Congress was making GBS threads itself over a literal riot that was travelling across the country heading their way in the days before it passed) is an epic display of White Propaganda in this country.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's never been a civil rights movement that succeeded through sticking to the whims and sensibilities of the majority. If you want to debate where 'the line' is that's fine but if that line is 'if at any time we make the people in charge uneasy' then you're just saying 'we shouldn't actually fight for our rights, we should just sit back and hope they decide to stop oppressing us someday soon'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*300 thousand americans die to end slavery, mostly immigrants and black people*

"If I was a slave I would just ask to be free"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sexpig by night posted:

yea there's never been a civil rights movement that succeeded through sticking to the whims and sensibilities of the majority. If you want to debate where 'the line' is that's fine but if that line is 'if at any time we make the people in charge uneasy' then you're just saying 'we shouldn't actually fight for our rights, we should just sit back and hope they decide to stop oppressing us someday soon'.

My coming around from one side of this argument to the other was the big watershed for me. Everything else followed from it

Ultimately it hinges on "do I actually care about other people or not"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You shouldn't point toy guns at people.
What do you think toy guns are for? Displaying on a shelf?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was never allowed to have toy guns as a kid. Not that that prevented us from shooting each other with fingers, but I get it.

I do think this prohibition shouldn't have applied to water guns, though. I really wanted a super soaker.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

What do you think toy guns are for? Displaying on a shelf?

:shrug: When I was a kid I had one of those toy guns that shoots little plastic suction cup projectiles and I was taught not to point it anyone. Neither people nor animals. It came with a plastic target to shoot at. Someone could lose an eye???

And of course black kids have been killed for pointing a toy gun that doesn't even shoot plastic darts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Someone could lose an eye???

But until then it's all fun and games.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus sounds 99% of the time, the prop gun is not able to fire bullets whatsoever. Blanks, yes. Actual projectiles? Nope. The industry came down hard on that after Brandon Lee. Most of the time it's a gun that's either been modded for blanks (for example the colt from supernatural), or is a built from the ground up prop in the sense you buy or rent one and it's been specifically made to just shoot blanks. I'm talking about just blank firing, not airsoft. Sometimes as much as the barrel being partially or completely plugged.

[bolding mine]

They most certainly did not. I think stage/film mishaps might deserve its own thread.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah, but I'm willing to bet you know jack poo poo about this particular issue if you can't see the red flags here.

Woah woah woah, did you see what happened too poor ol' billionaire J.K Rowling!?!
She was attacked! For having an opinion!

There she was, walking down the street on her way to pick up some tea and crumpets from the shoppe when she saw an opinion just lying there on the sidewalk.
And when she innocently picked it up she was transbushed and cancelled into oblivion!
This should never happen, this is America dammit!

So clearly the only way to stop this tragedy from ever happening again is too gatekeep the gently caress out of everything about transitioning, from medical and phycological treatment to the very concept of being a woman.
And the only way to do that is to kick over the ladder activists have spend years, hell, entire generations slowly and painfully building up, the very same ladder the writer was all too happy to scamper up herself.

What, the rights of trans men? What are those, some sort of cryptid like Spring Heeled Jack or Siren Head?

Pulsarcat has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Oct 23, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Here's the article. It was written by a trans woman. I am making no statement by posting it.

I will say I think this particular issue requires nuance and the internet is not at all made for that

I am making no statement by posting it

*makes a statement*

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm gonna delve a little further into this and the purported lack of nuance in discourse and this fy,gm ding dong, as said by someone else, laundering terf and trandmedicalist bs through concern trolling over censorship.

Surprise, pal, there is a great deal of nuance in the discussion of "this issue¹" Julia Serano, Dr. Emmy Zje, Florence Ashley, Shon Faye, Jules Gleeson and others approach the subject² without any of the supposed toxicity alleged by transphobes and those who "just have concerns" and are "just asking questions 🤷🏻‍♀️"

H o w e v e r, this doesn't make for snappy op-eds or grifty fundraising or propaganda. So they point past the trans people who actively engaged in discussion about the transgender experience and its place in society or, y'know, just trying to live their fuckin lives, to those who are more useful in proving their thesis that trans people are angry and deranged and depraved dangerous.

Or in the case of the author of this particular article, how every trans person other than them probably falls into that category.

These sorts of calls for nuance and asking the hard questions and highlighting toxicity and intolerance for diversity of thought and whatever sundry happy horseshit rarely call out the same things on the other side.

Like, ferinstance, and interesting wrinkle on Posie Parker's (no, not the actress. It's the nom de bullshit of Kelly-Jay Keen-Minshul) Adult Human Female definition of wonan and merchandising cash cow: the Adult Human Chicken.

It's nonsense, of course, a complete brain fart, but one that's really only possible when you've spent a couple of years very nuancingly chanting that every time the question comes up. Like so many other terf³ jargon, it quickly became a reflex. A mantra. Not a lot of nuance there, if you ask me.

Also this has a lot to do with a great deal of transphobes having a reaction and then rationalizing their reaction with a bunch of blathering bullshit about small gametes and basic biology what-have-you.

Take Janice Raymond, author of seminal terf text The Transsexual Empire, which has been speculated to have come about as a reaction to her girlfriend having left her for Sandy Stone (shades of grifter, bootlicker and all-around rear end in a top hat Buck Angel)

Or carbonara fan and divorce elemental Graham Linehan, whose rabid transphobia is partially rooted in criticism of an episode of The IT Crowd, which is definitely transphobic both explicitly and by way of a variant of lampshading I call "jerkwashing". Other causes are posited, including but not limited to him being a frustrated chaser and/or someone whose gross fantasies were intruded upon by reality, the latter of which is supported by his extremely gross interactions with Dr Brooke Magnanti.

In both of these cases, there's a lot of rhetoric and a lot of anger which is arguably based on nothing more than an initial wounding of their fuckin egos.

Now a word or two on nuance and a lively diversity of opinion and political affiliation. A conference was held this week by the LGB Alliance, a UK charity (🤮) which purports to advocate for the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual community but instead focuses on slagging off trans people via crowdfunded, tens-of-thousands-pound fill-page ads, a song so laughably bad that they have since tried to erase it entirely from the internet and general centrist discourse that gets weirdly homophobic sometimes. This conference had it all! Speakers! Merch! A really cringe dance party!

It also had in attendance Andy Ngo, a rabid far-right pundit with some scary links to fascist and racist organizations. This guy loves fascists as much as he hates milkshakes. He won't take your calls unless the Southern Poverty Law Center considers you a hate group.

Also in attendance and seen in a photo with Linehan and bootlicker, hypocrite and self-styled Autogynephile Debbie Hayton was some dork whose name I don't remember who sells lovely "skilts" and, for a movement ostensibly focused on women's rights and radical feminism, some dodgy merch, one proclaiming "this is what a masculist looks like," tagged "MRA"

This is the problem with insisting that everyone should be given a seat at the table and an equal voice in debate on "the issue"—you get loving nazis and grifters and other sundry shitheads who have no actual interest in good-faith discussion.

This is a huuuuge issue with the terf, gender critical and assorted transphobes involved in The Debate. There have been multiple instances of solid links to organizations like the Heritage Foundation, who made a hard pivot towards trans issues when it was made manifest that their efforts against sexual minorities had been largely lost (there was a similar situation in Australia) or websites like KiwiFarms and so many instances of vocal support from fascist, racist, misogynist elements that is completely ignored in favor of continuing the harrangue.

Now we come to the very marrow of the issue: is there really a need for nuance and debate and consideration of concerns for issues that are by and large imaginary?

There is no sudden invasion of women's spaces for nefarious purposes. Trans women have been in women's shelters for a long while with nothing noteworthy. We've been using segregated bathrooms for decades, again, nothing noteworthy. Self-ID in the UK, one of the big bugaboos of recent memory, was de facto law of the land into the 21st century. Puberty blockers (compared by Linehan to Nazi experiments) have been used for decades to treat precocious puberty and ameliorate things like distress related to social interactions (:thunk:) and, I poo poo you not, ending up too short.

Women's sports? Yeah, well we've been there for decades too and it's not been a fuckin sweep, has it? How can it be? Trans women are taking literally the opposite steroids that people take to be better at sports. The latest iteration of this has been, again, in MMA and Alana McLaughlin's win against Celine Provost. Well, firstly, a lot of people frothing over it incorrectly assumed that Provost was the trans woman in question (we can always tell :rolleye:). Secondly, Alana posted a before picture and lemme tell you, it really illustrates how little of an advantage is retained after the minimum time on HRT typically required to compete with other women.

I mean, basically every concern is either speculative, statistically irrelevant, hewing to the ludicrous notion that rights, dignity and respect are finite and zero-sum, and occasionally gross and creepy (the complaints that trans men are depriving people of access to lesbians).

We might as well have a nuanced debate over the motherfuckin one-eyed, one-horned flying purple people eater.

Nuance deez nuts.

¹ :jerkbag:
² I forget what this one was gonna be 🤷🏻‍♀️
³ Until quite recently, this was supposed to be a terrible and unforgivable slur and using it frequently resulted in pile-ons, mass reporting and all sorts of unpleasantness. At some point they stopped that and now I'll get someone with a display name like "Terfy McTerf" calling me a rapist or shouting that gender is rohypnol because the only consistent thing about these people is hate

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Piell posted:

it's just laundered terf poo poo from a transmedicalist

What's a transmedicalist? I think it's the first time I've heard that term before.

Someone who thinks trans people are only valid/real trans people if they fit into a clear gender binary and get the necessary surgeries to fit their role in the binary?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have to say that the author is really reaching when they say:

"Today, all that's required is a simple self declaration.

This gives legal access to women's intimate spaces, shelters and prisons to males who haven't gone through any meaningful transition or therapy."

In fact, this seems to be a simple regurgitation of Tucker Carlson-esque fear mongering and I am surprised to hear such a statement. I don't know the author's background but it I feel like they likely come from some place of high privilege and have not had the same sort of experience many other trans individuals have had.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PurpleXVI posted:

What's a transmedicalist? I think it's the first time I've heard that term before.

Someone who thinks trans people are only valid/real trans people if they fit into a clear gender binary and get the necessary surgeries to fit their role in the binary?

Yep, you've got it exactly. Also known as transmeds/truscum

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have to say that the author is really reaching when they say:

"Today, all that's required is a simple self declaration.

This gives legal access to women's intimate spaces, shelters and prisons to males who haven't gone through any meaningful transition or therapy."

In fact, this seems to be a simple regurgitation of Tucker Carlson-esque fear mongering and I am surprised to hear such a statement. I don't know the author's background but it I feel like they likely come from some place of high privilege and have not had the same sort of experience many other trans individuals have had.

Like I said before, she's a transmed, so she thinks anyone who hasn't had surgery isn't really trans and any trans person who doesn't want surgery is lying about being trans.

Piell has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Oct 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Terfism is built on extreme gender essentialism, and everything associated with it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There's a thing lately where terfs are putting dinosaur emojis into their names on twitter and frankly, this just makes me remember I have a few patches in a drawer that I never got around to sewing on to anything.

They will never take dinosaurs from me, how dare they try.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

So... In the event of a total society breakdown and possible apocalypse, his electronic currency that is available on his computer that runs on electricity and connects to the world wide internet is how he plans to purchase things when there is no power or internet anymore due to civilization falling.

At least the gold hoarding idiots have actual gold to trade.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't know the author's background but it I feel like they likely come from some place of high privilege and have not had the same sort of experience many other trans individuals have had.

You don't have to come from a place of high privilege to be a pick-me for chuds

just a high concentration of lead in your baby bottle

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Piell posted:

Yep, you've got it exactly. Also known as transmeds/truscum

Like I said before, she's a transmed, so she thinks anyone who hasn't had surgery isn't really trans and any trans person who doesn't want surgery is lying about being trans.

Absolutely everything else aside doesn't that just gatekeep True Transness to the few with the resources to make this happen?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

With the addition of "gatekeeping is good actually" you fuckin nailed it

Piell posted:

Yeah, total "unless you give Michael Bailey a handjob you shouldn't get hormones :mad:" vibes

I bet $5 she unironically calls herself HSTS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

I assume it is what the article called "meaningful transition" vs. "simple declaration".

If a masculine presenting person with a dong bulge, full beard and no tits shows up and declares that they are a transgender woman that is a "simple declaration". There is no way for you to tell if they are really a trans woman or total rear end in a top hat cis man appropriating trans identity for nefarious purposes. Maybe she's a butch lesbian, there's nothing saying trans women can't be butch. There is no way to quickly tell if this person is trans or just a cis being an rear end in a top hat.

Transmedicalists want trans people to have medically transitioned: hormones, surgery, legal ID change, etc. Something that a fratboy can't just do on a lark to get into women's spaces.

It shouldn't be a problem that exists at all. Why would cis men pretend to be trans that's crazy. Why would you pretend to be part of a group facing massive discrimination? But we've seen cis men threatening to camp out in target bathrooms to "protect women" with the idea all they have to do is claim to be trans and no one can prevent them from doing it. Trans hating cis men becoming the bathroom boogieman they claim to fear. Would that have worked? Probably not. A creepy cis dude hanging out in the target bathroom all day is going to get the cops called on him, and cops aren't known for being trans friendly.

Cis assholes aren't something that trans people are responsible for solving though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

You don't have to come from a place of high privilege to be a pick-me for chuds

just a high concentration of lead in your baby bottle

It should never be forgotten that England is chock-full of craven sycophants desperate to sell-out their entire class for a fart's whiff of a mention on the BBC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the "LGB Alliance" is full of raving nutcases who think that the international Jewish conspiracy is trying to make people trans to destroy western civilization.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Also the "LGB Alliance" is full of raving nutcases who think that the international Jewish conspiracy is trying to make people trans to destroy western civilization.

Which would be great if true but sadly is not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OwlFancier posted:

This isn't a joke, for the record.

There's a pretty active terf to fascist pipeline.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

David Icke I think actually goes the other way where he thinks the lizard people are actually controlled by the secret council of trans people.

On the off chance that is true I just want to volunteer to be a lizard person by the way.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Malcolm Clark, a founding member, believes that school LGBT clubs are bad because of the possibility of predatory gay teachers.

Also their former ceo or president or whatevs was an old straight lady

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everything old is new again. The words change but the ideas do not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It shouldn't be a problem that exists at all. Why would cis men pretend to be trans that's crazy. Why would you pretend to be part of a group facing massive discrimination?

Clearly we plan to infiltrate women's bathrooms and abuse all the free tampons there. Actually that's just something I'm imagining, do women's bathrooms even have free tampons? I don't know. I've never been in one. Maybe we just want the EXCITEMENT of seeing how different women's bathrooms are. The exotic adventure of exploring them.

But yeah, the only thing someone gets out of publicly declaring that they're trans is a brief period of confusion as everyone forgets the proper pronouns/any new name they've chosen. So I guess if that's what someone's into, go hog wild.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RoboRodent posted:

There's a thing lately where terfs are putting dinosaur emojis into their names on twitter and frankly, this just makes me remember I have a few patches in a drawer that I never got around to sewing on to anything.

They will never take dinosaurs from me, how dare they try.

Are these from the gal that performed in Axis of Awesome? I think I remember seeing them on her twitter, she rules.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are these from the gal that performed in Axis of Awesome? I think I remember seeing them on her twitter, she rules.

I got them from here. I'm not really familiar with Axis of Awesome so I couldn't tell you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PurpleXVI posted:

Clearly we plan to infiltrate women's bathrooms and abuse all the free tampons there. Actually that's just something I'm imagining, do women's bathrooms even have free tampons? I don't know. I've never been in one
We wish. Occasionally, at very progressive employers, there are free tampons/pads. Everywhere else, if they're present at all, they're in a coin-op dispenser.

I do miss the era when semi-posh public ladies' rooms had a reclining couch in the corner. Everybody needs to recline now and then.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Nothing is more American than a local politician standing over his infant child with a loaded gun and a head full of bizarre ideas about what might actually go down in his safe white neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Everything old is new again. The words change but the ideas do not.
Before my last twitter account got perma'd for speculating that it was Bam Margera was the one who pooped in Hulk Hogan's gum, brother I had a thread bookmarked with scads of 70s-90s newspaper articles about the lavender menace that are practically fuckin mad libs