Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

rollick posted:

A fun thing to do is to read the list of "mainstream rock" number one singles from January 2000 to December 2019, and locate the last year you can recognise more than one song from the title alone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Mainstream_Rock_number-one_songs_of_the_2000s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Mainstream_Rock_number-one_songs_of_the_2010s

gently caress I remember at least a few songs a year through 2014 then just loving nothing after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about how bad hair and facial hair was in the early 2000s. It was becoming more common to have a beard for guys, but you didn't have big bushy lumberjack beards, no, you had some horribly complex thing. I think the worst was the chinstrap.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol what are you, some kind of.... metrosexual?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A co-worker had a metrosexual boyfriend and his clothes were always ugly and his balding was terrible.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Did metrosexual actually mean anything beyond "he sometimes wears a pink shirt"?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I feel like metrosexual could be a synonym for foamers

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

rollick posted:

A fun thing to do is to read the list of "mainstream rock" number one singles from January 2000 to December 2019, and locate the last year you can recognise more than one song from the title alone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Mainstream_Rock_number-one_songs_of_the_2000s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Mainstream_Rock_number-one_songs_of_the_2010s

Huh, my last year is 2017, actually. Not bad for a middle-aged nerd. My days of actually paying attention to mainstream/radio hits type music were mostly over by 19 loving 90...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sweevo posted:

Did metrosexual actually mean anything beyond "he sometimes wears a pink shirt"?
It meant "cares about their looks" in a way beyond Axe 5-in-1 Shower gel could accomodate.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FilthyImp posted:

It meant "cares about their looks" in a way beyond Axe 5-in-1 Shower gel could accomodate.

I get shampoo, body wash, and conditioner.... Do I want to know what the other two are?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neito posted:

I get shampoo, body wash, and conditioner.... Do I want to know what the other two are?

Deodorant and anti-perspirant?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sweevo posted:

They use lotion! *Gasp*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

They use lotion! *Gasp*

Lol lotion means they're jerking off.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I hate yanking it with lotion. Dry or nothing here.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

rollick posted:

Huh, I was okay up until 2009 (though I recognized more in the first half of the 2000s than the latter half), but then I recognize practically nothing from 2010 onward.

As a Canadian, all of those definitely ring a bell, except for that Moffatts song. Now I'm starting to remember when Canadian Idol was actually a thing, and singers like Ryan Malcolm were very briefly popular.

Nick Biped has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Oct 25, 2021

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Once we get to 2013 I've never even heard of the band for the first time. I do okay after that but I can chalk a lot of it up to when I left the US and therefore stopped hearing random rock radio. I was actually shocked at how long poo poo like Puddle of Mudd were still charting a decade after they were already the nadir of their genre.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
It's kind of a trick question, because "Mainstream Rock" is a weird and confusing category and probably meaningless these days. It looks like "Adult Alternative" (2000s / 2010s) and "Alternative Songs" (2000s / 2010s) might be more recognisable?

2011 to 2013 for the Alternative chart is some real "Post about the 2010s" stuff: Foster the People, Gotye, Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers, Imagine Dragons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jojoinnit posted:

Once we get to 2013 I've never even heard of the band for the first time. I do okay after that but I can chalk a lot of it up to when I left the US and therefore stopped hearing random rock radio. I was actually shocked at how long poo poo like Puddle of Mudd were still charting a decade after they were already the nadir of their genre.

He loving hates them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nick Biped posted:

Huh, I was okay up until 2009 (though I recognized more in the first half of the 2000s than the latter half), but then I recognize practically nothing from 2010 onward.

As a Canadian, all of those definitely ring a bell, except for that Moffatts song. Now I'm starting to remember when Canadian Idol was actually a thing, and singers like Ryan Malcolm were very briefly popular.

Yea, I kept hearing the name The Moffatts all the time in the early 2000s and I remember watching the Junos and they hosted, with a weird Hard Days Night parody intro. Of course that doesn't exists anywhere because who cares about a flash in the pan minor Canadian act and Canada's music award show. But yea, I barely know who they were, weren't they like Hanson, a bunch of bothers? We do tend to have a lot of "stop trying to make X happen".

Whang recently did a video about Annoying Thing, AKA Crazy Frog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfUTE45EEys

And this made me think about the whole culture of ring tones. Maybe because i literally didn't have a cell phone until 2008 the idea that "gotta catch 'em all!" attitude around them confuses me. How lame were peoples lives in the early 2000s that you got clout that when you phone rang with your mom wondering where you where, it played the mission impossible theme. It also reminds me of the Todd in the Shadows video about Laffy Taffy, how it was "ring tone rap". People consumed music randomly in 10 second snippets I guess?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh dude ringtones were the fortnite skins of their day you have no idea

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

and even more exploitative of the hardware defects in soft young adult brains, most of the text-to-download services that were advertising on TV and thus have surviving artifacts were a $60/month autobilling subscription that was only disclosed in the fine print on the bottom of a crt SDTV and nigh-impossible to unsub from

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
For several years I had the Unsolved Mysteries theme as my ringtone and you better believe the volume was usually cranked all the way up.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I had my dad's hand me down Nokia (I think their first to do non midi ringtones?) but we absolutely bought a proprietary cable so I could compress audio into some bullshit format for custom ringtones. I had a different ring tone for each of my friends, based on their tastes.
And yes! The default ring tone WAS 'you spin me round' by dead or alive! What a time

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Oct 26, 2021

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I wanna hear some of these so bad, but I can't find any audio evidence for them online

rollick has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Oct 26, 2021

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Or using the Nokia composer.
code:
   4 9 * 3 8 8 4 3 9
1 9 6 8 8 * * 2 9 * 6 9 * *
0 8 1 8 8 * 4 9 9 5 8 8
6 1 9 * P&H6 * * 2 8
3 2 9 9

Tempo = 125 

The third party ringtone/wallpaper market was pretty popular as there wasn't any easy way to plug in your phone to a PC and just copy over a file.

It also was rife for scams as putting in your number netted you expensive sms charges.

Kinda miss my 3350 with its sections of keyboard that would flash different areas to the ringtone.
And the fact it could last at least 5 days with no charge.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think I posted about this in here before, but since we're on the subject of Ringtones, what poo poo did you all download or however the gently caress we got ring tones back then?
When last I posted about this, I think I only remembered getting Grillz as my ringtone, but turns out I forgot about getting Big Poppa and also Planet Rock for ring tones at some point back in the day.
Those are the ones I actually paid money for. Now its Egg Raid On Mojo, but thats just from a music file on my phone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I miss being able to play songs on my dialpad. I could play quite a few including a substantial portion of funkytown, simple gifts, and morning mood from peer gynt

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I miss T9 typing, and the fact that there's not a good T9 keyboard for android is a crime.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

By the time I get done struggling with autocorrect and autosuggest I could easily text short messages faster with even multi-tap.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I never paid money for a ring tone. My Nokia 6120 was set to Fur Elise for most of it's long, long life. Had a Palm Treo after that. You could use regular MP3 files for ring tones on that thing.

My sister went through hell getting rid of a subscription from one of those crazy frog things. Not sure how she ended up cancelling it. She might still be paying that bullshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My phone plan gave me 5 free ringtones, but I just had Blue Monday the entire time i had my flip phone. I guess with android you could set a song as your ringtone but I just choose one of the built in ones, but keep it on vibrate because that's enough to get my attention.

In the Whang video he mentions about how a lot of ringtones were actually subscription services and because they targeted kids, yea, that's real shady.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to buying ringtones and poo poo; remember ringbacks?!

Someone called you, and instead of the standard "ring" sound on their end they'd hear a totally garbled, low-bitrate song.

I don't recall them ever working right...I think only certain carriers had them, and if you weren't on a compatible carrier calling your friend, you wouldn't hear it, or something?

All I know is, I never remember hearing a ringback when calling someone, even though I knew people who had them, so I just assume they never worked right and that's why they didn't seem to last as long as ringtones...although I seem to recall ringbacks also coming out right before smartphones*, which basically killed most of those services anyway.

*well, right before the iPhone, which really was the first GOOD smartphone for the average person. Not a techie or "businessman" like Windows Mobile or Blackberry.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Oct 28, 2021

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I know my old carrier, Virgin Mobile (Which I think got scooped up by Boost?) had them. They were something wicked dumb like five bucks for ten calls or something? I said gently caress that cus even in 2006 or 7 or whatever I was mostly texting and rarely calling.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I stopped using songs I like as ringtones when it became clear that I started disliking the songs because I don’t like being called. It was ruining good music for me.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I had the intro to 19/2000 by Gorillaz as my ringtone for a while in the late ‘00s. To this day when I hear it I get a quick moment of panic that I’m being called into work at short notice and my day’s all hosed up.

No idea what my ringtone is now, my phone’s permanently on silent and I discourage anyone from calling me anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

remusclaw posted:

I stopped using songs I like as ringtones when it became clear that I started disliking the songs because I don’t like being called. It was ruining good music for me.
When my old boss became too much of a PITA I used the Mass Effect Reaper sound for their ring tone.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Creature posted:

I had the intro to 19/2000 by Gorillaz as my ringtone for a while in the late ‘00s. To this day when I hear it I get a quick moment of panic that I’m being called into work at short notice and my day’s all hosed up.

No idea what my ringtone is now, my phone’s permanently on silent and I discourage anyone from calling me anyway.

I notice I almost never hear ringtones or even text notification sounds in public anymore (covid may have something to do with this, alas) except from old guys who keep their phone on a hip holster and keep their ringer at 105% volume at all times, but I feel like even that has diminished compared to, say, 2014-15 or so

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Nah, the concept of having your phone on anything but vibrate is pretty rare these days. I feel like smart phones have actually good vibrate settings compared to some of the older phones, which might have something to do with it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It also helps that we just instinctively check our phone a lot more, so if we don't hear a call, it won't be long before we see it anyway.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Heath posted:

I notice I almost never hear ringtones or even text notification sounds in public anymore (covid may have something to do with this, alas) except from old guys who keep their phone on a hip holster and keep their ringer at 105% volume at all times, but I feel like even that has diminished compared to, say, 2014-15 or so

I was thinking the same thing the other day; I just remember how irritating it used to be ten years or so ago. I also agree with the other poster, people check their phones much more often, plus everybody but lead-poisoned Boomers use text messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS