Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
More ToME4 adventures. Having cleared the 4 first main quest (I presume) dungeons and cleared a few more including some event stuff (halloween, bears, poosh), I headed to the Dreadfell Tower that the main quest is pushing me to. That was actually more interesting than earlier, as a few floors down I actually had to manage the fights. Even burned a rez when in a room I got surprise ganked by 8 or 9 simultaneous acid clouds and melted in a single round. Went down to floor... 7? I think? And realised that by now, although I had gained a couple levels and was now level 21, all the mobs were level 27, explaining why it was starting to feel a bit brutal in each room.

So I presumed I had to go do a few of the various other dungeons above, and ended up finding the wizard city, which I needed to solve the lightning problem of the other town (Derth?). Got ported to the bad dude (Urkis?) tower, and, got absolutely wrecked. Somehow, he's level 27 too, and I just couldn't deal with him. Got a good daze and pulled off a hard hitting combo, but he was still standing and nuked me to death in a way I have never seen with any boss/rare mob. That's it for this dwarf...

After Celia the first time, I'm starting to wonder if there's a long list of "places you should never go to before level X". Not sure I feel like going through the 4 early dungeons again just to add a 3rd name to the list and reset again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ToME has bounded level scaling -- enemies match your level (and for a few patches not it's been retroactive, instead of "snapshotting" the first time you enter a new area like it used to) but there are minimums and maximums for each area.

On higher difficulties enemies scale off a multiplier of your level, which gets very silly very fast. :v:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

hearing "4 main quest dungeons" makes it sound to me like the lovely quest log is getting people killed again! just do all the T1s and T2s and some other poo poo before dreadfell, really. there's a zone order guide if you're into that sorta thing. then monster level is something that'll basically never, ever come up outside of "oh right monsters in vaults are higher leveled" in like Kor'pul or Rhaloren Camp. Or stupid madness difficulty stuff, but don't play madness. it's fake.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Have you ever considered working on a game of your own? I'm not exaggerating when I say that your work on class design is one of the biggest draws of ToME for me, period. You've got a fantastic sense of the balance between internal synergy on the one hand and the need for there to be different legitimate ways to build a character on the other.

I would love to! I drew up a design for a roguelike strategy RPG, but then realized there's 0 chance of me ever having enough time irl to do anything like that. A slightly more reasonable ambition I have is just to fork my own ToME version as t-engine is pretty easy to use and somethin I'm already familiar with, so I can just change all the stuff I don't like and have my own little pet project. LL classes are the last thing I 'have' to do (promised DG I'd complete it) so I guess after that I can do what I like in terms of development.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

FishMcCool posted:

More ToME4 adventures. Having cleared the 4 first main quest (I presume) dungeons and cleared a few more including some event stuff (halloween, bears, poosh), I headed to the Dreadfell Tower that the main quest is pushing me to.

Lol, there's like 10 zones you should do before Dreadfell, you should do pretty much everything in your journal except that one

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

grate deceiver posted:

Lol, there's like 10 zones you should do before Dreadfell, you should do pretty much everything in your journal except that one

TrollMire-korpul-sinc caves-camp-ice forest-gloomy cave-sand wyrm lair-maze-old forest-the mountains before dreadfell gives you like level 26 or so (so first prodigy) and clears all the t1s and t2s. Skip Ukris, the spellblaze scar, and Celia unless you absolutely have to do them for prods or specific talents. The halfling ruins and ruined dungeon can also get hairy so I recommend not bothering with them.

Also max +life gear, find stun resist ASAP, craft quartz rings at the mage town, the psionic shield torque flat damage reduction is way better than it looks, update your base inscriptions to shatter/movement/heal unless you have a very good reason otherwise, choose one of stacking armor or defense and understand that those are the last layer of defense in melee and always bait mobs to a door or corner so you fight them one at a time.

TOME4 is so good

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

skipping urkis is supreme cowardice he's not that hard.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
You definitely want to do Urkis at some point, as completing his quest allows you to purge enemy magic sustains. Either you can return to Zigur to add that aspect to your Mana Clash, or you can talk to Linaniil in the mage city to get a Rune of Dissipation. Trying to fight an arcane class boss while he has a million sustains up can be incredibly dangerous.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Can be argued, but here's a guide: https://te4.org/wiki/Recommended_Zone_Order_Progression

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

beta branch of rift wizard implementing a new kind of magic

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1271280/view/3034856131514980372

quote:

New Spells:

- Mercurize: hexes a unit, dealing physical and poison damage over several turns. If the hexed unit dies, it is raised as a metallic ghost. (Metallic Dark)
- Magnetize: enchants a unit to pull in nearby enemies. Upgradable to deal lightning damage. (Metallic Lightning Enchantment)
- Siege Golems: summons a squad of siege golems which will assemble and operate an inferno cannon for you. (Metallic Fire Conjuration)
- Silver Spear: high single target physical damage to one target. Deals holy damage to arcane and dark units near the path of the projectile. (Metallic Holy Sorcery)
- Spikeball Factory: surrounds the caster with Spikeball gates (Metallic Conjuration)

Spell Changes:
- Shrapnel Blast is now a Metallic spell.
- Protect Minions is now a Metallic spell instead of a nature spell, is now called Ironize, and now adds the Metallic tag to your minions

New Skills:
- Metal Lord: Buffs skills
- Inferno Engines: Whenever you cast a fire spell, grants all your metallic minions a temporary fire aura with radius equal to the level of the spell.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On higher difficulties enemies scale off a multiplier of your level, which gets very silly very fast. :v:

Oh yeh. This is from 1.6.6 but it still counts :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Holy gently caress that sounds awesome as hell

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeh. This is from 1.6.6 but it still counts :v:

and that's just a rare

you find a randboss and it'll be like, 5 of that guy mashed together

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bought this a while ago and just started playing last night and it rules. I can see how it probably gets a little too deterministic for some people's tastes but right now having so many options for spells and skills feels amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Holy gently caress that sounds awesome as hell

it already has me thinking up more spells to add to it, like an ice/metallic 'cold iron' one that specifically fucks up arcane/fae enemies, since he seems willing to go down that road if the silver spear one is any clue

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Siiiick. Rift Wizard is one of my favorite games that I've played so far this year and I'm happy to know it's gonna continue to be updated.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I picked up Rift Wizard and Monster Train on sale last week, loving Monster Train and Rift Wizard seems incredible. Glad they'll be continuing to update it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6Gdd-pSPA
this is looking sick as gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Glad they walked back on the whole frozen north thing, I didn't think they could pull it off.

Caravan tours is much more sensible for that type of game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Framboise posted:

Siiiick. Rift Wizard is one of my favorite games that I've played so far this year and I'm happy to know it's gonna continue to be updated.

the dev was always pretty upfront about wanting to continue updates without a doubt if i remember things right, he mostly just wanted to push it into 1.0 and get it out of early access since it had basically been 'complete' for a while there and mainly he just wanted to brush some things up before release. i think there's also plans to look into modding support, which would be wild.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Mercurize is easily the MVP of the new metallic spells. It's a death bolt alternative that is much much better against dark resistance (...obviously). Adding it to my nightmare aura ghostfire build has worked excellently.

also just lol that it includes a phys resist stripper

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samopsa posted:

They transitioned into 3D really well.

I'll definitely pick it up once it's out of the Early-access Games Store.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Samopsa posted:

poo poo, I have to finish like three games before October 26 when this hits EA and consumes my life again

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I decided to check out Tainted Grail: Conquest since it's on Game Pass and while I really dig the variety of the amount of classes (of which I've unlocked almost none of) I'm finding the game like, really unreadable? Conceptually I think the three dimension space with a rotatable camera is really cool, but it loses some of the ability to see what's going to happen next at a glance. Is this a me issue?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sab Sabbington posted:

I decided to check out Tainted Grail: Conquest since it's on Game Pass and while I really dig the variety of the amount of classes (of which I've unlocked almost none of) I'm finding the game like, really unreadable? Conceptually I think the three dimension space with a rotatable camera is really cool, but it loses some of the ability to see what's going to happen next at a glance. Is this a me issue?

No, it's brown and gray visual mud when things are normal, and it's not improved by the wyrd being represented by a combination of a blur filter + darkening effect.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
SOTS: The Pit 2 just hit early access, and god help me I know I'd just be disappointed but I'm still tempted to try it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, legitimate question, did they actually fix things? I think with some tweaking the first game could've been pretty good, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

LOL did they ever fix Sword of the Stars 2 that SOTS: The Pit was supposed to finance?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

StarkRavingMad posted:

poo poo, I have to finish like three games before October 26 when this hits EA and consumes my life again

In general there are good reasons not to jump on EA bandwagons, but I also think for DarkestDungeon there's a really good argument to keep away. If you desperately need that sort of vibe, the first game is still totally playable; and a game like DD will have a lot of tweaks and content percolating backwards towards to the start of the game, so even playing it a little bit can ruin the experience. It's not like an RPG or something where you can play the completed first half and put it down.

That being said, the hero models are spot on and look amazing, super excited.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tendales posted:

SOTS: The Pit 2 just hit early access, and god help me I know I'd just be disappointed but I'm still tempted to try it.

I'm wary, didn't they launch a 3D spinoff that just kinda went nowhere because it didn't pick up traction in Early Access?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

maybe a question for the dd thread but uh (contextual darkest dungeon 1 ending spoilers)

how the gently caress do you do a sequel given how the ending in dd1 went?

don't get me wrong, happy they're doing it, that minor detail just struck me as a bit odd

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tendales posted:

Was watching a streamer play it last night, can't say I'm a fan of the graphical style. It looks busy and visibility is really poor between that, the limited view angles, and the completely crazy forward cone of light (which you can rotate for free, like in Pit 1, so it's just pointless and there to make you waste time look around each turn).

Note that it's not ready at all. This is a real early access: it's full of bugs and placeholders (plenty of inventory items are a plain white box), so don't pick it up to play and beat, it's just not ready for that. Apparently the plan is to build on that for a year, and the EA is there for them to get player feedback on everything as they go.

Otherwise, it does look like a pretty close variant of Pit 1, which, to me at least, is a good thing. The Pit is pretty unique in its attrition and resource management, and its weird funky scifi universe is a nice diversion from fantasy 101. It looks like the sequel is basically a soft reboot, paving the way for a few design decisions to be changed. Game length in particular is being talked about, with a likely 20-25 floor game this time, instead of the grueling 40 of the original (30 originally, but DLCs pushed it to 40 and that was a bit tedious).

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

victrix posted:

maybe a question for the dd thread but uh (contextual darkest dungeon 1 ending spoilers)

don't get me wrong, happy they're doing it, that minor detail just struck me as a bit odd

I mean technically you get nothing BUT sequels

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

victrix posted:

Judging from what I've seen in previews, it looks like they're taking the XCOM2 approach where, canonically, the first game ended in failure. The adventurers tried their best, but the horror from the final dungeon succeeded in breaking free and its corruption is spreading across the world at incredible speed. One final party is now racing towards some failsafe destination in a desperate attempt to put the genie back in the bottle.

The whole situation reminds me of a game of Arkham Horror, where if the players fail to keep the Ancient One from entering the mortal plane then there is a final battle phase where they can attempt to push it back through the portal. In this case, that phase is an entire new game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

victrix posted:

DD1 explicity sets up an infinite loop of darkest dungeon playthroughs. The final sentence of the ending is also the first sentence of the game. It states, literally, that this will go on until someone decides to break the cycle by destroying the entire planet. The player character in DD becomes the new ancestor in the end, for the next game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trying to figure out Rift Wizard again, not least because a Metallic class of spells sounds rad as goddamn hell

if there're any written guides out there to get me on the right foot that anyone knows about, that'd be great

also i remember there being some spell that's basically "fire all the loving cantrips" but i can't seem to find it

(e) is there any way ingame to get info on a spell's upgrades iwthout buying it?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 23, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Samopsa posted:

DD1 explicity sets up an infinite loop of darkest dungeon playthroughs. The final sentence of the ending is also the first sentence of the game. It states, literally, that this will go on until someone decides to break the cycle by destroying the entire planet. The player character in DD becomes the new ancestor in the end, for the next game.

The Ancestor/You might be feeding the entity through horror and bloodshed to hasten its growth so it destroys the world and ends the cycle.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: i played more of the peglin demo, and so far my only concern is some of the boards you get dont have the cool peggle type curved blocks, and are just straight up pachinko grids. its a lot less fun and a lot more luck based when you get one of those, cause its really hard to predict more than the first few bounces with that arrangement.

Yeah pachinko boards feel lazy. Even the most basic encounters in Slay the Spire feel significant as they cost you something.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/evertried-review

Has anyone played Evertried? The reviewer’s complaints seem to be from someone unfamiliar with the genre.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Samopsa posted:

Not exactly. The ending indicates that permanent victory is impossible, as success in one playthrough sets up the player as becoming the new Ancestor and thus will lead to another playthrough. The loop is "infinite" in that each victory can only lead to another struggle. Defeat will bring an end to this however, as it will result in "that which sleeps to hatch from this fragile shell of earth and rock to bring our inescapable end."

In DD2, it's hatching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to figure out Rift Wizard again, not least because a Metallic class of spells sounds rad as goddamn hell

if there're any written guides out there to get me on the right foot that anyone knows about, that'd be great

also i remember there being some spell that's basically "fire all the loving cantrips" but i can't seem to find it

(e) is there any way ingame to get info on a spell's upgrades iwthout buying it?

You're thinking of the spell "Cantrip Cascade".