Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
You can’t point a camera at a Baldwin without expecting some poo poo to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Alec baldwin has a mortician on retainer

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

What level of certification do you think is needed for "Alec Baldwin just shot this lady in the loving face" that compares to having a dude at walmart that's trained to call 911 when Becky has a seizure again?

Exactly. A medic is very different than someone with cpr certification.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alec Baldwin spent those Union dues to fly a helicopter to my home in the middle of the night and rappel down a zip line into my window and call me the 'F' word fat and then took off running into the darkness because he co-wrote the script for this movie. He can't keep getting away with this.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably a classic case of someone taking the magazine out of a gun... but not removing the round in the chamber...

The armorer seems to be entirely at fault here. Alec Baldwin doesn't really deserve much of the blame he is getting here really. People are focused on him being a producer, but that doesn't mean much on a movie set... If you put some money into a movie, you can be a producer but won't get to make any decisions... probably just being the big name on the cast will get you a producer credit...

That's usually the "executive producer" credit if they chipped in money to get the film made. They really have no power and aren't even on set or anything. A "producer" has actual power and is top of the chain of command on set.

pentyne posted:

Im seeing reports that from the search warrents served by the NM police, there was a set of 3 guns on a table, the assistant director grabbed one and yelled "cold gun" to tell everyone it was unloaded, then handed it to Alec Baldwin, who then proceeded to aim at the camera and pull the trigger for the scene, which then fired the live, no poo poo bullet that was loaded into the gun.

I don't know what his role as a producer was, but that AD and the armorer for sure are going to face some serious charges.

Same armorer is being quoted as from previous interviews talking about how she was never really able to load blanks properly and always had to ask her dad to help.

It's not in the report that she checked the chamber and barrel and all that to ensure it was unloaded (obviously, but just saying for the sake of the report)? Yeah, there is going to be some charges if it's in policy to do that on set.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'M NOT EVEN THAT FAT, ALEC!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Alec Baldwin spent those Union dues to fly a helicopter to my home in the middle of the night and rappel down a zip line into my window and call me the 'F' word fat and then took off running into the darkness because he co-wrote the script for this movie. He can't keep getting away with this.

wait he flew the helicopter and he also rappelled down a zipline? and then ran off afterward??????? what happened to helicopter, it was just hovering in place until it ran out of fuel and crashed or something

something not adding up w/ this story :magemage:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

What level of certification do you think is needed for "Alec Baldwin just shot this lady in the loving face" that compares to having a dude at walmart that's trained to call 911 when Becky has a seizure again?
Yeah I'd sort of assumed anywhere that has live firearms potentially being discharged (like a movie set with an armourer) would have a hard requirement for actual paramedics on site, gently caress me I guess.

Also I think she was shot in the stomach, no?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Trapick posted:

Yeah I'd sort of assumed anywhere that has live firearms potentially being discharged (like a movie set with an armourer) would have a hard requirement for actual paramedics on site, gently caress me I guess.

Also I think she was shot in the stomach, no?

shoulder according to reports i have read

Kale
May 14, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

it has been pretty credibly sourced that there were multiple gun safety incidents before this and at least half a dozen members of the camera crew walked off because of safety concerns. i'm sure other details will come up but that seems like enough evidence that the producers of this film hosed up deeply and are responsible here.

Could be but I'm curious to see how that would connect specifically too what the scenario sounds like right now where the guy handed Baldwin a prop gun and said "Cold Gun" and then not only wasn't cold, but possibly went off on it's own. There seem to be mixed reports that I'm seeing that say either he fired the gun, or he removed it from the holster while rehearsing and it went off. Like that's just a specific sounding "it's safe...whoops it's not actually safe my bad" type situation relating to that persons position. It could be that the producers hired a really lovely unqualified prop manager and safety expert and there's some culpability there but again further investigation kind of required.

From what I'm reading though yeah it sounds like there were some accidental prop gun discharges over the weekend before the fatal one yesterday that were brought up and making some camera crew people nervous and just kind of ignored so that's looking pretty bad as far as safety protocols go.

I'm thinking back to the Brandon Lee incident and it was such a specific set of events that had to occur to get that prop gun into a situation where it had a live round jammed in the chamber from earlier and a blank one behind it, but it kind of sounds like this one just had a live round in it period and I really don't know how that happens.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 23, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Exactly. A medic is very different than someone with cpr certification.

Depends on where she was hit really. If there was a lot of internal bleeding that requires a trauma unit. A medic would be able to buy a bit of time by better sealing the external bleeding and could maybe drop a tourniquet to buy some time if it's a wounded limb, but if the bullet passed through her with enough energy to seriously injured a second person she needed a surgeon.

And since she got life flighted and staff were complaining about the drive they were almost certainly in the middle of nowhere.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kale posted:

Could be but I'm curious to see how that would connect specifically too what the scenario sounds like right now where the guy handed Baldwin a prop gun and said "Cold Gun" and then not only wasn't cold, but went off on it's own. Like that's just a specific sounding "it's safe...whoops it's not actually safe my bad" type situation relating to that persons position. It could be that the producers hired a really lovely unqualified prop manager and safety expert and there's some culpability there but again further investigation kind of required.

From what I'm reading though yeah it sounds like there were some accidental prop gun discharges over the weekend before the fatal one yesterday that were brought up and making some camera crew people nervous and just kind of ignored so that's looking pretty bad as far as safety protocols go.

I'm thinking back to the Brandon Lee incident and it was such a specific set of events that had to occur to get that prop gun into a situation where it had a live round jammed in the chamber from earlier and a blank one behind it, but it kind of sounds like this one just had a live round in it period and I really don't know how that happens.

The biggest take here is that the person shouting "cold gun" wasn't even the person who was supposed to be handling this poo poo so who knows where the freaking armored even was at the time.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

The biggest take here is that the person shouting "cold gun" wasn't even the person who was supposed to be handling this poo poo so who knows where the freaking armored even was at the time.

Jesus loving christ.....

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Bad Purchase posted:

We’re forgetting the most important thing, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. Before this tragedy I had never heard of Rust.

Makes you think.

Hi to you too!

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Admittedly knowing nothing about movies but knowing some stuff about guns I can't help but wonder at the risk/reward ratio for having a "hot" gun on set ever at all. In my mind, there can't possibly be a compelling reason to intermix live and blank ammunition in a working environment like that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

They were shouting "Could gun get a safety check? I'm definitely not the right person for this." but Alec heard the first two words and just started blasting before they could finish the rest.

Rust Martialis posted:

Hi to you too!

nice to meet you

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

So the victim was scabbing? gently caress her

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Woops my bad thought this was cspam

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

nvidiagouge posted:

Admittedly knowing nothing about movies but knowing some stuff about guns I can't help but wonder at the risk/reward ratio for having a "hot" gun on set ever at all. In my mind, there can't possibly be a compelling reason to intermix live and blank ammunition in a working environment like that.

yea it's almost like they shouldn't do that huh

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
When the film is released, you will be able to tell when it happened, the gun shots will go from realistic to Doom textures.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

yea it's almost like they shouldn't do that huh

"We are going to collect hundreds of people in probably one of the most politically liberal working environments anywhere on Earth who have probably spent zero or very little time around guns and then sprinkle both live and fake ammunition throughout various firearms on set this should work out fine."

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

keeping loaded guns around is cool, haha blam blam

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

nvidiagouge posted:

"We are going to collect hundreds of people in probably one of the most politically liberal working environments anywhere on Earth who have probably spent zero or very little time around guns and then sprinkle both live and fake ammunition throughout various firearms on set this should work out fine."

haha yea, it's crazy how those liberals have never used guns on movie sets before without setting up a system for safety and this one in a million accident proves how right you are about how stupid they are about guns, dang.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish there was a 16 page thread detailing all the expertise that goes into the lack of that safety system and the thought process behind it because of this tragic accident but there isn't one anywhere to read so instead it's because of liberals being stupid about guns, boy you nailed it!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

if only they knew what bullets were..

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I just picked up my Uberti Colt .45 replica and cycled through the chambers, knowing for sure it’s not loaded. I am now qualified to be a Hollywood armorer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nvidiagouge posted:

Blanks are "live" / "hot". They're dangerous and can kill people.

OTOH if this gun fired an actual bullet and that's why the camerawoman was killed then it would be a real WTF. Because you're right, there's no reason to have real ammo with bullets on a movie set pretty much ever.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Kale posted:

I would wait for more information and a full proper investigation before trying to make a definitive declarative statement about culpability, but if it's someones job to make sure a prop is safe, they tell an actor the prop is safe and ready to use and they then use the prop and it's not safe and somebody dies cause of it than it sounds like the culpable person is the one whose job is to be an expert and make sure the prop was safe and it wasn't. That's strictly as things stand with what is publicly known, but of course people are gonna have some weird hot takes before the full investigation is complete because it's Alec Baldwin that was the actor in question who a lot of people have very strong feelings about one way or another for various reasons.

im gonna do the complete opposite and IMMEDIATELY blame lara croft, niels bohr, and satan. a ssoon as my court officer can find any of them and serve them papers we will get started

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think you are misunderstanding the point, Big Beef City. The point is that whoever was in charge should have accounted for the fact that a movie set isn't exactly a place where gun knowledge is going to be commonplace and whoever brought live ammo into the picture is the idiot.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

I wish there was a 16 page thread detailing all the expertise that goes into the lack of that safety system and the thought process behind it because of this tragic accident but there isn't one anywhere to read so instead it's because of liberals being stupid about guns, boy you nailed it!

Actually I think you'll find it all boils down to Alec Baldwin getting tired of reshoots and just blowing away the DP and director

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

FoolyCharged posted:

Depends on where she was hit really. If there was a lot of internal bleeding that requires a trauma unit. A medic would be able to buy a bit of time by better sealing the external bleeding and could maybe drop a tourniquet to buy some time if it's a wounded limb, but if the bullet passed through her with enough energy to seriously injured a second person she needed a surgeon.

And since she got life flighted and staff were complaining about the drive they were almost certainly in the middle of nowhere.

Shoulder has some major blood vessels but it’s still not typical to die from being shot there. A medic would likely have stopped the bleeding or at least slowed it enough to get her medivaced. I’m guessing they didn’t have one just based on what a shitshow this movie was.

Kudos to them trying to put pressure on the wound at least.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Why can’t people use their words?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The Jews did this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

Actually I think you'll find it all boils down to Alec Baldwin getting tired of reshoots and just blowing away the DP and director

he gav e them a warning shot earlier in the day but they didnt listen

was this a stand your ground state???

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

nvidiagouge posted:

I think you are misunderstanding the point, Big Beef City. The point is that whoever was in charge should have accounted for the fact that a movie set isn't exactly a place where gun knowledge is going to be commonplace and whoever brought live ammo into the picture is the idiot.

No the point is that you said

quote:

one of the most politically liberal working environments anywhere on Earth who have probably spent zero or very little time around guns

Despite that fact that movies are made constantly with guns, safely, because there are safety regulations and standards and people within the industry regarding working with them and then I essentially called you a loving moron for saying what you did, because, well, you are. And NOW you want to say "Gosh maybe they shouldn't have shot this lady, BBC" like this is a big revelation instead of just shifting the goal posts away from you being a loving idiot.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Klyith posted:

Blanks are "live" / "hot". They're dangerous and can kill people.

OTOH if this gun fired an actual bullet and that's why the camerawoman was killed then it would be a real WTF. Because you're right, there's no reason to have real ammo with bullets on a movie set pretty much ever.

this appears to ve what happened since it penetrated her shoulder and hit the person behind her

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Kale posted:

I would wait for more information and a full proper investigation before trying to make a definitive declarative statement about culpability, but if it's someones job to make sure a prop is safe, they tell an actor the prop is safe and ready to use and they then use the prop and it's not safe and somebody dies cause of it than it sounds like the culpable person is the one whose job is to be an expert and make sure the prop was safe and it wasn't. That's strictly as things stand with what is publicly known, but of course people are gonna have some weird hot takes before the full investigation is complete because it's Alec Baldwin that was the actor in question who a lot of people have very strong feelings about one way or another for various reasons.

I think in basically all cases where there is a "management" involved safety incidents should be at least in part considered their fault, because otherwise you just encourage the current hellworld where there's a bunch of safety-theater that exists solely to prevent liability while the actual managers/supervisors tacitly encourage everyone to work in ways that don't actually follow those procedures to meet deadlines/kpis and such. Like in this case it sounds like this was already an accident waiting to happen that was known enough there had been complaints, that's a management problem.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 23, 2021

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Thanks Alec Baldwin for making sure every movie from now on has bad looking CGI gunfire and sound added in post.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

No the point is that you said

Despite that fact that movies are made constantly with guns, safely, because there are safety regulations and standards and people within the industry regarding working with them and then I essentially called you a loving moron for saying what you did, because, well, you are. And NOW you want to say "Gosh maybe they shouldn't have shot this lady, BBC" like this is a big revelation instead of just shifting the goal posts away from you being a loving idiot.

The film industry is actually very unsafe and predatory. People die or get injured frequently from stupid accidents like this you just don't hear about it because Alec Baldwin wasn't holding the gun. The rumor mill already has pushed out that there was another incident regarding negligent discharge last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

it's real big beef city hours in here. you love to see it.