Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

I like a challenge.

Have a reverse shot too.

A hair dryer and a razor. Judicious use of Goo Gone to remove residual glue. Washed the Goo Gone off with soap and water. Used glue stick on the back of the sticker and mounted it on a sheet of acetate. I like it tucked in the back of the record.

And I like to troll Jack White.

mfers think they're gonna tell me how to enjoy my records, gently caress u yr not my real dad!!

If I'd bought that two-in-one breakapart single I would have cracked that nut figuratively and literally. I would have figured out the Fight Club soundtrack too if I bought it but I'm not really into that kind of music.

edit: About that last composite image... when Vault #33 came out I bought a copy for my friend for Christmas, which was five months away. Took a lot of bullshit to order two because Jack doesn't want people flipping them, totally understandable, flippers ruin it for the rest of us who just wanna buy a gift. Anyway, I had put together a package which included a custom-made 8.5x11, 12-page book, with photos and artifacts from the release. I had formatted it using a sick typewriter font. I tried to get my hands on a typewriter but no luck.

Sadly I'm pretty sure those files are now gone. I had to use Courier Bold in the recreation, forgive me.

Fake edit: I'll spare y'all another 10 MB of photos but the back cover, frankly, owns, and is worth the extra few MBs

That's way too much work. On my copies of Icky Thump I just cut the seal with a razor and folded the edges in. Yes I said "copies".

I HAVE A MONO COPY I ACTUALLY OPENED AND LISTENED TO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pwn posted:

meticulous labeling

I took my finger and broke the seal, then peeled back some of the sticky bits because idgaf.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It takes all kinds to make the forums go round :hehe:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's just 25 minutes of dicking around with a sticker that could have been better served by actually listening to the record.

pwn
May 27, 2004

It’s impossible to play a record while you dick around with another record. Fact.

I get it, some folk have the patience of a chimp and need to tear into new things asap.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sacred Bones' reaction to me asking why my Halloween Kills OST was still listed as sitting around waiting to be delivered to a post office after a week was "check back in a month." Ruuuuuude.

Hey, no more records for awhile though, 'cause I just picked up Bjork tickets for a show on my birthday. :buddy:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

It’s impossible to play a record while you dick around with another record. Fact.

I get it, some folk have the patience of a chimp and need to tear into new things asap.

Or I just remember that those discs actually have music on them and aren't holy relics and breaking the seal on them isn't going to make it burst into flames.

This sticker thing is bait and we both took it.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 16, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Picked up a couple of new albums from Electric Fetus in Minneapolis. I couldn't make it there after work so I had to order online but I'll pick them up tomorrow or monday.

Got this in "limited edition" translucent red.

The only Christmas album I enjoy and they had the RSD peppermint version so I picked it up too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

I took my finger and broke the seal, then peeled back some of the sticky bits because idgaf.

yoda looking on in shame

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Something I picked up yesterday for twenty bucks

Only registered members can see post attachments!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Well at least the score was good. :v:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Read After Burning posted:

If you only know Eddie Grant for one song, you're doing yourselves a disservice...his best-of is fantastic. :) I got the album on a whim because "Heh, Electric Avenue", but it's quickly hopped into regular rotation with just a few listens.

ah gently caress I accidentally picked up Eddie Grant "At His Worst"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Q for you DIY types - I bought a little 4x4 storage unit that was cheap but pretty sturdy. unfortunately it has no back panel. I'm thinking I could just nail some kind of cork board back there, unfortunately I can only find 12"x12" panels, when I really need like 14"x14". what would y'all put back there?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Mine are open backed, but I did cut wooden paint stir sticks to size to act as stoppers in the back so the records are even in the front.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

Q for you DIY types - I bought a little 4x4 storage unit that was cheap but pretty sturdy. unfortunately it has no back panel. I'm thinking I could just nail some kind of cork board back there, unfortunately I can only find 12"x12" panels, when I really need like 14"x14". what would y'all put back there?

Wood is stupid expensive right now so I'm not sure what this will cost but you can try just getting a panel of balsa wood or thin plywood that covers all four slots instead of trying to cover them individually.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Wood is stupid expensive right now so I'm not sure what this will cost but you can try just getting a panel of balsa wood or thin plywood that covers all four slots instead of trying to cover them individually.

Yeah, a sheet of like 1/8" plywood shouldn't be too much. Get the exact measurements and Home Depot or Lowes (or any lumber yard) will cut it to size in the store for you. Tack it in with some brad nails and you're gtg.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What about cheap wood paneling itself? The stuff you slap on walls to hide a multitude of sins. Sheets of that are pretty thin iirc and it'd be a prefinished look on one side unless you wanted to paint it anyways.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Paint a piece of cardboard and tack it on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I have arriving in the next couple of weeks: a box of bluegrass, a box of 80s pop, and a box of 70s soul/funk.

Boy, this hobby would be a lot cheaper if I only liked a couple of genres of music...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I ran into an old friend today.

And I saw this too.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Mine are open backed, but I did cut wooden paint stir sticks to size to act as stoppers in the back so the records are even in the front.

I had a similar fix for my 8 cube storage unit. My Marantz 510m is too deep to fit on top of my cube unit and still have exhaust air space if the shelf is against the wall. If I pulled it out from the wall records could slide too far back in the cubes to make it easy to grab them and pull them out.

I just bought 4 wooden yardsticks and screwed them across the back of the cubes. Not the prettiest fix but I have each cube full of records so it doesn't show in front and most hardware stores only charge a buck a yardstick since they are cheap advertisement.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Nick Cave b-sides and rarities 7 LP box set arrived early :getin:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Nick Cave b-sides and rarities 7 LP box set arrived early :getin:

Looks like mine has shipped.

Got a new mix up over @ https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-rocktober/ There are some sorta spooky sounds in there I guess. Happy October.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm listening to the Get Back LP from the Let It Be set, and I have to say this is one amazingly quiet LP. I also have to say the Get Back LP mix of Let It Be is definitely pretty strong.

I just hate any mix of the Long and Winding Road without the orchestra. I think the instrument choices just sound way too thin and empty, and the song just feels skeletal.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I got Ys by Joanna Newsom today. God, what a loving gorgeous album. Also the first vinyl record that has a lyric book bound into the case itself, and not just as an insert. "Only Skin" is such a beautiful songs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I should buy a record, but nothing's really thrilling me

anything my brain is coming up with is

a) way too expensive to consider
b) something I already have
c) just leaving me feeling like it's the equivalent of a shrug and "...eh."

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I got Ys by Joanna Newsom today. God, what a loving gorgeous album. Also the first vinyl record that has a lyric book bound into the case itself, and not just as an insert. "Only Skin" is such a beautiful songs.

Ys owns, i bought my first copy back in 2008 and at some point in the early-mid 2010s it went mossing, no idea, maybe it walked off with a visitor. A friend got me another copy a few years back. Thanks for reminding me to listen to it again

Edit: i was gonna fix that typo but mossing feels incredibly appropriate for this record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm listening to the Get Back LP from the Let It Be set, and I have to say this is one amazingly quiet LP. I also have to say the Get Back LP mix of Let It Be is definitely pretty strong.

I just hate any mix of the Long and Winding Road without the orchestra. I think the instrument choices just sound way too thin and empty, and the song just feels skeletal.

Can you get the Get Back LP or even a CD without buying Let It Be or some huge loving box set? Also, where the gently caress is the goddamn movie?

hexwren posted:

The "vinyl revival" killed record collecting.

Nihonniboku posted:

:wrong:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Heh, I meant my first one like that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

Take a break or say to yourself that you're gonna save your money for a while, then cool records will show up out of the blue. At least that's my excuse for having two new ones on order.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Listen to Perfume Genius. He rules. I'd recommend starting with his third album unless you like sadboy indie rock. His last three albums rule.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

Listen to Perfume Genius. He rules. I'd recommend starting with his third album unless you like sadboy indie rock. His last three albums rule.

Second this. His album last year was my favorite release of the year. But yeah, his first two albums were him dealing with his new found sobriety, and aren't the same.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

His discography is basically sad and gay-> angry and gay-> just loving gay and not giving a poo poo.

I also just prefer the musical style of Too Bright onward. Also getting to be one of a few hundred gay men spitefully and sarcastically yelling "No family is safe when I sashay." was seriously one of the highlights of my life. He puts on an amazing show and if you ever get the chance go see him. He's also really funny and has all kinds of quips in between songs. His social media is hilarious.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I finally did it. I got drunk, fell asleep and let my turntable run all night. Am I gonna need a new stylus?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rolo posted:

Well I finally did it. I got drunk, fell asleep and let my turntable run all night. Am I gonna need a new stylus?

I don't think 8 extra hours will kill a stylus. They last hundreds of hours.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That makes sense.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Always be posting angry gay poo poo. :unsmigghh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

hexwren posted:

Buy this

https://youtu.be/s-YUVl57SH8

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
For my birthday, MY GIRLFRIEND bought a giant cabinet, tore it apart and restained the wood and reconfigured the whole thing for me to create this beautiful fuckin thing.

Not pictured: the legs that were on it, because they couldn’t handle the weight. We are going to try and figure something out there. Truly an infuriating turn of events because it looked much cooler with them.

She even put strip lights and a dimmer on it. I have decided to call it The Monolith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The stuffed animals are mine too.