Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

K2 deffo needs some kind of upgraded-damage radioactive flamethrower fuel slurry, to help use the absolutely gobsmacking levels of fissionables you will accumulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

drunken officeparty posted:

I think you need the chests from a later research to do that?
Yes (requester chests), but also:

What's the point then.
Your personal request slots work already, so the logistic bots will restock your inventory (and empty your trash slots) without further research required.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I made a logistics robot and roboport for the first time, spent 15 minutes trying to make it take plastic from one place to another and couldn't do it. I think you need the chests from a later research to do that? What's the point then. I should have just kept ignoring them.

Early on the logistics bots are great for supplying you directly so you don't need to walk over to each chest to grab them, and also to dispose of extra garbage in your inventory (rocks, wood, etc.).

You can do the personal logistics with nothing but yellow chests, and those chests can also be filtered. Replace all the outputs of your mall with filtered yellow chests and your robots will put all the stuff from deconstructing back into those chests also. In conjunction with this you'll want to use a wire from the inserter to the chest to limit the number of items the assembler will make, and that way the chest can remain unblocked (the manual limiting you do to keep production to say two stacks of something) so that any of that item that's extra can be easily dropped into it without opening the chest.

Set up another area of yellow chests as a storage/trash area, and anything that doesn't have a filtered chest will go there.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

LonsomeSon posted:

K2 deffo needs some kind of upgraded-damage radioactive flamethrower fuel slurry, to help use the absolutely gobsmacking levels of fissionables you will accumulate.
Just use the extra uranium to make the liquid matter for antimatter reactors. Uranium gets you the highest output from the liquid matter recipe anyway, so might as well use it for that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Just use the extra uranium to make the liquid matter for antimatter reactors. Uranium gets you the highest output from the liquid matter recipe anyway, so might as well use it for that.

Oh I haven’t hosed around with the matter stuff, the only K2 run I’ve done which went on that long was a swing into SpaceEx, and my gently caress-around time was almost entirely in orbit or on other worlds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just unlocked railroads, which will hopefully let me declutter my main base a lot so here's a maximum-spaghetti image of it before cleanup.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KillHour posted:

I just unlocked railroads, which will hopefully let me declutter my main base a lot so here's a maximum-spaghetti image of it before cleanup.

Very nice. I just did a big overhaul of my base because it was driving me crazy. I completely re-did the red science so I could move it away from all my starting ores in order to get access to the ores I had built too much junk on top of. It's a lot neater now, and I brought it online about 30 seconds before the final red-science only technology finished. Lol.

Tore out all the old red science, now I need to rebuild my areas making coke to feed the acetylene production and then decide on whether to work on that next science, or automation of the simple circuits. A quick look tells me that the circuits probably need to come first as I need some materials for the next science that are still covered in a spaghetti of pipes and belts, and I also apparently need to get syngas up and running for mining at least one of them.

Actually kind of concerned about running out of some of the starter ores that I can't see an easy supply for, so I should probably look at whether rail is even possible with only red science tech.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Why the gently caress am I thinking of reinstalling Factorio to try Py’s, what the gently caress is wrong with me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Locator posted:

Very nice. I just did a big overhaul of my base because it was driving me crazy. I completely re-did the red science so I could move it away from all my starting ores in order to get access to the ores I had built too much junk on top of. It's a lot neater now, and I brought it online about 30 seconds before the final red-science only technology finished. Lol.

Tore out all the old red science, now I need to rebuild my areas making coke to feed the acetylene production and then decide on whether to work on that next science, or automation of the simple circuits. A quick look tells me that the circuits probably need to come first as I need some materials for the next science that are still covered in a spaghetti of pipes and belts, and I also apparently need to get syngas up and running for mining at least one of them.

Actually kind of concerned about running out of some of the starter ores that I can't see an easy supply for, so I should probably look at whether rail is even possible with only red science tech.

On one hand, circuits are a red herring because you can pocket craft the few you need for logistic science. On the other hand, you need a lot of the same resources for other stuff and it's convenient to be able to grab them instead of pocket-crafting literally thousands for codexes and buildings. And no, rail needs (several hundred) logistic science. Have fun breeding aliens! :v:

LonsomeSon posted:

Why the gently caress am I thinking of reinstalling Factorio to try Py’s, what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Brain damage?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KillHour posted:

On one hand, circuits are a red herring because you can pocket craft the few you need for logistic science. On the other hand, you need a lot of the same resources for other stuff and it's convenient to be able to grab them instead of pocket-crafting literally thousands for codexes and buildings. And no, rail needs (several hundred) logistic science. Have fun breeding aliens! :v:

welp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This feels like a straight-up mistake.

With copper, you turn copper ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 2 ore is smelted and the grade 1 ore is crushed into stone and grade 2 ore.

Fine, seems like grade 2 ore is "better" than grade 1 ore.

With tin, you turn tin ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 1 ore is smelted and the grade 2 ore is crushed into stone and grade 1 ore.

loving what?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

KillHour posted:

With copper, you turn copper ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 2 ore is smelted and the grade 1 ore is crushed into stone and grade 2 ore.

With tin, you turn tin ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 1 ore is smelted and the grade 2 ore is crushed into stone and grade 1 ore.

loving what?

enjoying reading about people's experiences with schizophrenia simulator 2021. This and the post about inventing genetic engineering to clone aliens to harvest their poo poo have been highlights

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TIL that "maximum spaghetti" doesn't exist. Spaghetti is like entropy in that it always goes up.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

KillHour posted:

loving what?
Haha, I was annoyed by that too at that point in the game. They all have like eight steps eventually and it makes a bit more sense. I don't know if it's loosely based on real processes or what but most of the ores have pretty unique processing chains.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KillHour posted:

Well, I just spent quite a few hours getting the 'easy' half of the production set-up. All I need now is the melamine resin!

I was really stuck for a while because one of the items couldn't be assembled in a grey assembler, needed a blue one, which requires a sub-item (advanced small parts I think) that is in a later tech.. Took me a while to realise that those 'other' assemblers that are listed after the vanilla assemblers aren't just follow on higher tech to the vanilla stuff! Doh...

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

KillHour posted:

loving what?

I mean, every single metal has a different processing chain at each step of the different processing researches. You're going to use FNEI or a similar mod to follow each chain to set up your production chain and not think about it after that. It doesn't matter to me that this metal smelts the grade 2 and this one smelts the grade 1 and this one uses the grade 3 and the 2 turns into 1 which turns into 3.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I made a logistics robot and roboport for the first time, spent 15 minutes trying to make it take plastic from one place to another and couldn't do it. I think you need the chests from a later research to do that? What's the point then. I should have just kept ignoring them.

Make an assembler for repair packs, shove them into a yellow logistics box and you don't have to repair anything ever again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean, every single metal has a different processing chain at each step of the different processing researches. You're going to use FNEI or a similar mod to follow each chain to set up your production chain and not think about it after that. It doesn't matter to me that this metal smelts the grade 2 and this one smelts the grade 1 and this one uses the grade 3 and the 2 turns into 1 which turns into 3.

but my immersion

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

Make an assembler for repair packs, shove them into a yellow logistics box and you don't have to repair anything ever again.

Isn't that construction robots?

Logistics bots without the logistics system are there to bring items to your inventory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When you have a personal roboport, logistic bots to rebalance your inventory are basically mandatory.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

but my immersion

Your immersion should be satisfied: it's the most realistic thing for one process to consider a lower number as a better grade and another process to consider a higher number as a better grade and this be unable to be resolved because no one wants to budge and that's how it's been for decades.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LonsomeSon posted:

I did this and bounced off of Py’s so hard I started a new Bobs/Angels game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have the patience for seablock, I don't have the patience for PyanoDONT DO IT: THAT WAY LIES THE PATH TO MADNESS AND MATHMATICAL ABUSE

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
May I suggest https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PyBlock

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That might not be terrible because py works better in neat artificial grids. Having to go 300 miles to find the next coal patch sucks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

*Dies*

KillHour posted:

That might not be terrible because py works better in neat artificial grids. Having to go 300 miles to find the next coal patch sucks.

*Is Reborn*

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Decided on a replay yesterday and put 6 hours in so far, not building a bus at all this time.

Good god I forgot how painful the pre-logistics-bots game is.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I find I have to stop myself from doing bot style bulk building before unlocking bots. If you know the pathes making a beeline for trains and bots can take ~90 minutes or so, and I have to force myself to do that because it speeds up everything else.

Minan
Oct 22, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I find I have to stop myself from doing bot style bulk building before unlocking bots. If you know the pathes making a beeline for trains and bots can take ~90 minutes or so, and I have to force myself to do that because it speeds up everything else.

I've been watching a streamer (https://www.twitch.tv/rain9441) going for the 100% speedrun, and he has bots build a train at the 1 hour 25 minutes mark. That is with no hand-crafting, but pre-planned blueprints and a map with a lots of resources. So if you beeline for the bots you can have them up really fast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lol holy poo poo big electric poles wtf

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Minan posted:

I've been watching a streamer (https://www.twitch.tv/rain9441) going for the 100% speedrun, and he has bots build a train at the 1 hour 25 minutes mark. That is with no hand-crafting, but pre-planned blueprints and a map with a lots of resources. So if you beeline for the bots you can have them up really fast.

I believe the record for getting on track like a pro is down to like 45 minutes now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So yeah... bouncing off of Pyanodons after looking at the insanity needed just to get simple circuit boards automated, let alone the next science...

Maybe I'll try something simple like Angels/Bob's on a deathworld instead... :suicide:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I wound up looking up IR2 because I really liked the first version of the mod, seriously loving steam-powered assembler blocks. They sound very satisfying, too, when they run!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
When I last played with angelbobs, I used Bob's mods' steam-powered assemblers and miners. It was quite handy being able to upgrade your power infrastructure and automatically get faster assemblers.

You can't use them with modules so it doesn't really scale to the endgame, mind.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What'd be the mod of choice if I wanted a yield like thing for ores, like oil has? Has to work with krastorio2.

Basically I'd love one a la angels infinite ores where the entire field isn't infinite, but has like, a core thing in the middle of the field that works with yield. Ore where there's a chance for them to be yield based instead of just all of them being.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 19, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alkydere posted:

It helps if you gently caress with the world gen settings. If you set it to "island" you can basically spawn on a tropical island (well...sandbar) as compared to one tiny rock. Gives you a lot of land to work with and a hilarious amount of free trees/plants early on.

Like after a while I was building grenades just to clear poo poo out because it was faster and I had all the plants I could want and cellulose/wood up so I didn't need trees.

How do you do this with SeaBlock? In my game there are no world-gen settings that change anything at all, there are no options at all in the dropdown to select an island and the few sliders that are still in existence change absolutely nothing in the preview.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Locator posted:

How do you do this with SeaBlock? In my game there are no world-gen settings that change anything at all, there are no options at all in the dropdown to select an island and the few sliders that are still in existence change absolutely nothing in the preview.

It's been long enough I had to update my mods ("Oh this should only take 5 minutes" *15 minutes later...*) to take these pictures. I was worried it wouldn't work but it did.

Under terrain go to Map Type. Set it to Island and I get this preview:

The game will start with the player in the middle of the center bayou (you can see the top edge is a perfect ring that was cut out) but the starting landfill should be more than enough to get to the actual island. Obviously it can be reduced in size to not be so absurd.

Also yes, all of that green is plants.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alkydere posted:

It's been long enough I had to update my mods ("Oh this should only take 5 minutes" *15 minutes later...*) to take these pictures. I was worried it wouldn't work but it did.

Under terrain go to Map Type. Set it to Island and I get this preview:

The game will start with the player in the middle of the center bayou (you can see the top edge is a perfect ring that was cut out) but the starting landfill should be more than enough to get to the actual island. Obviously it can be reduced in size to not be so absurd.

Also yes, all of that green is plants.

Thenjs, not sure why I wasn't seeing that, but I will check again next week. Just left on a short business trip so no computer.

Really do need to get a non-business laptop for myself.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
20 hours in to my new Factorio game and I loving forgot to plan for roads!!!!!! AAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

94 hours into Py and I give up. Why? Because I spent 2 hours last night "upgrading" my iron oxide processing from "stick in furnace, pull out plates" to the iron slime processing chain, only to find out that the iron slime processing chain is literally a fraction of the efficiency and when you Google it, it's a known issue they refuse to fix it because "there are better uses of iron oxide anyways." Well then why is it in the mod?

I can deal with obscure production chains with a billion dependencies, but don't put traps that serve no purpose. That's just mean. Here's my final map. No bots at all, and in fact, I still can't mass produce inserters or belts.