Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Did not expect my day to include learning Link is canonically a silent protagonist because he's essentially a traumatized war orphan lost in time, but it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Biplane posted:

You dishonor Mario at your own risk

Given Nintendo's history with licensing out their IP I imagine they make a point of keeping licencees on a very short leash.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If I had to try to figure out things that the various Links have to deal with, like the Phonogram Man time loop from Ocarina of Time, I'd probably stay pretty quiet too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

That Italian Guy posted:

Link, as played by Clint Eastwood.

Clink Eastwood.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

In this version of the movie, are both characters played by Chris Pratt?

Unless it’s directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

Then both are played by Milla Jovovich.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bussamove posted:

I’m very okay with that.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Crowetron posted:

The Metal Gear Solid movie should not cut out any dialogue whatsoever, but still just end when it hits two hours. The whole movie should have a countdown timer in the corner that Oscar Issac keeps nervously looking at while people go on and on about nuclear disarmament procedures and PAL cards.
I unironically love this idea and it would be the most Kojima way to do things. The timer is never acknowledged by anyone, of course.

Bussamove posted:

A Twink to the Past

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just finished the third Fear Street movie, and I am really glad that they made Sarah Fier innocent, not just in the past but in the present as well, meaning that she wasn't responsible for any of the deaths. I fuckin' hate that trope of oh, this innocent person was killed, so as revenge they decided to murder many innocents. It makes me really not give a poo poo about their innocence while living if they're willing to murder while dead..

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Biplane posted:

Did not expect my day to include learning Link is canonically a silent protagonist because he's essentially a traumatized war orphan lost in time, but it makes sense.

If they made a Legend of Zelda movie using Ocarina of Time it would be the most brutal of them all with this.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

C'mon, What We Do In The Moonlight was right there.

If you think that's a better title than We're Wolves you're out of your drat mind.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Biplane posted:

But how will people know what reactions to have if the protagonist doesn't literally spell it out for them

“Hey, listen! Link’s really sad right now!”

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Gargamel Gibson posted:

If you think that's a better title than We're Wolves you're out of your drat mind.

This is correct.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh of course it's not, it's just better than "what we do in the woods."

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh of course it's not, it's just better than "what we do in the woods."

I dunno, you put the viewer off guard - they expect a movie about bears or the Pope, and hit them with were-wolves instead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bears aren't the only animals in the woods you know.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, they already said the pope.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Way We Were.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Way We Were.

:vince:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Saw Dune last night. I saw it in IMAX and got thoroughly Zimmered by the soundtrack. Pretty good, would recommend seeing in a theater if you can. My IIMM is all of the clumsy expository world-building dialogue. Like, I get that one of the things people rag on Lynch's version for was all of the voice-over inner monologue narration but this ain't better, imo. Even though they had characters describing the world to each other, they made the odd choice to avoid describing a lot of things that I would think were really important to understanding some of the plot points. Biggest example (major spoiler if you aren't already familiar with the story): They never talk about Yueh's Imperial Conditioning and why it was such a shock that he was able to betray the Atreides. They kind of just ignored his character until he was necessary to the plot and it felt like it came out of nowhere. I don't recall them ever using the word "Mentat" or saying who Thufir was supposed to be. Maybe there were some scenes that got cut?

Also, I think it may be impossible to show the Fremen breakstep walk on film without it looking super embarrassing. Ornithopters loving rule though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I also thought the dialogue was super stilted and awkward, especially the lines taken straight from the book! There were a lot of newly-invented bits that actually sounded believably human and real, but then someone would say "They have tried to take the life of my son." or some poo poo from the book and it just took me straight back to the Star Wars prequels, of all places.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Like, I get that one of the things people rag on Lynch's version for was all of the voice-over inner monologue narration but this ain't better, imo.
lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Dune is a pretty dense novel and really hard to adapt to film. I had a rough time just with the book first time I read it in high school and had to go back to it like decades later.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

BiggerBoat posted:

Dune is a pretty dense novel and really hard to adapt to film. I had a rough time just with the book first time I read it in high school and had to go back to it like decades later.

Yeah, friends and I were talking about that when we got out of the movie. Dune doesn't have a fish-out-of-water character that's common to scifi/fantasy that lets the other characters explain the world to the audience and there's a lot of world that needs explaining. I was just a little irritated that they combined some really stilted exposition through dialogue while also ignoring some world building elements that I thought were pretty important to the story. It's hard for me to tell how well it comes across to people who don't already know the story and setting going in, though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, friends and I were talking about that when we got out of the movie. Dune doesn't have a fish-out-of-water character that's common to scifi/fantasy that lets the other characters explain the world to the audience and there's a lot of world that needs explaining. I was just a little irritated that they combined some really stilted exposition through dialogue while also ignoring some world building elements that I thought were pretty important to the story. It's hard for me to tell how well it comes across to people who don't already know the story and setting going in, though.

On the other end of the spectrum, my gigantic IIMM of Hellboy was the introduction of John Myers as the audience stand-in. He was totally useless and adds nothing to the story. IMO it's what I liked a lot about Hellboy: The Golden Army: just jump right in with the characters you know & have some interesting worldbuilding to boot.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like it when the audience has to figure poo poo out on their own.

gently caress explaining anything. Explanation is for the weak.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

IMO it's what I liked a lot about Hellboy: The Golden Army: just jump right in with the characters you know & have some interesting worldbuilding to boot.

Not only that, but when someone mentions him, Liz is like "he died on the way back to his home planet transferred to Antarctica." I get the feeling he was forced on Del Toro by the suits, given he appears in none of the subsequent comics or films.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like it when the audience has to figure poo poo out on their own.

gently caress explaining anything. Explanation is for the weak.

I think it can be a good thing if the movie provides the context so you can figure it out within the movie. If I have to go read a wiki afterward then gently caress that. Like the eagles in the the LOTR movies.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Android Apocalypse posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, my gigantic IIMM of Hellboy was the introduction of John Myers as the audience stand-in. He was totally useless and adds nothing to the story. IMO it's what I liked a lot about Hellboy: The Golden Army: just jump right in with the characters you know & have some interesting worldbuilding to boot.

Yeah, its not great to have an obvious audience stand in either. Ideally, the world should be able to speak for itself. Fury Road is a good example of the world being self-explanatory. No exposition needed to describe the political relationship between Immortan Joe and the Bullet Farmer or the religion of the Warboys or whatever. What you need to know is on screen. I also realize that isn't always possible, especially with adaptations of novels/comics, but it would be an ideal I think.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I absolutely love Fury Road, despite its inclusion of what I hate (strong female characters), but I was confused by it the first time but on the rewatch the film pretty clearly gives you all the information you need

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

They should make a Legend of Zelda movie, but have it be about Zelda Fitzgerald instead.

And it should follow the exact plot of the video games.

Also, I know this is a while back, but in Frozen 2, Kristoff's song rocks! BOO to all y'all who cannot appreciate its silliness/awesometude. (All other criticisms of the movie seem valid though.)

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

oldpainless posted:

I absolutely love Fury Road, despite its inclusion of what I hate (strong female characters), but I was confused by it the first time but on the rewatch the film pretty clearly gives you all the information you need

Is your being openly misogynistic supposed to be a joke?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
More like olddameless.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is your being openly misogynistic supposed to be a joke?

The reason why he does these lame hot takes is that someone always falls for it and does this stupid poo poo:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

More like olddameless.

It’s like he has a squad of people who follow him around to make the same attention feeding joke.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was unaware I was nourishing his essence, my apologies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was unaware I was nourishing his essence, my apologies.

Speaking of Dark Crystal Age of Resistance (and gently caress Netflix for canceling it. I know puppets are expensive but they could at least continue the story in animation) the ending with the Skesis literally just walking/running away and NO ONE STOPS THEM but instead the gelfing celebrate and poo poo is just stupid as gently caress. The war literally just loving started, and they let the other side just leave! It would be one thing if the spiders chased them off, but they literally let the enemies, who have been murdering them, walk away without even trying to stop them. But I guess I should not be surprised; even when Rian had the general dead to rights, he refused to kill him. Like, okay, I know it's a show aimed at kids too, but it's not like the Skesis were going to stop!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking of Dark Crystal Age of Resistance (and gently caress Netflix for canceling it. I know puppets are expensive but they could at least continue the story in animation) the ending with the Skesis literally just walking/running away and NO ONE STOPS THEM but instead the gelfing celebrate and poo poo is just stupid as gently caress. The war literally just loving started, and they let the other side just leave! It would be one thing if the spiders chased them off, but they literally let the enemies, who have been murdering them, walk away without even trying to stop them. But I guess I should not be surprised; even when Rian had the general dead to rights, he refused to kill him. Like, okay, I know it's a show aimed at kids too, but it's not like the Skesis were going to stop!

Kinda hard to have the gelfling kill all the skeksis characters when it's a prequel to a movie where the skeksis rule the land and almost all the gelflings are dead. It also complicates things that for every skeksis they kill they also kill a peaceful mystic,

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
On the topic of Dune, two things that I don't think require spoilers: did they explain why everyone fights with swords in a universe with interstellar travel and at least some light-based weapons? I know why, I just don't recall it being included in the movie.

The other is the scene where Paul is speaking with the groundskeeper at the compound on Dune. In the previous scene, it was shown that it gets so hot during the day that they have to seal buildings at a certain time. Then Paul finds the groundskeeper, who is watering trees that require vast amounts of water to keep alive, and who is also wearing like 4 layers of protective clothing. He even tells Paul that being outside is a bad idea, but pasty-rear end Paul just smiles like "thanks dude, but I got it" without a drop of sweat on his face. As a pasty-rear end dude, I feel like he should have been laying in bed covered in aloe vera for his hubris in the next scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrianRx posted:

On the topic of Dune, two things that I don't think require spoilers: did they explain why everyone fights with swords in a universe with interstellar travel and at least some light-based weapons? I know why, I just don't recall it being included in the movie.

Because shields, is why. Fast physical objects bounce off a shield, and lasguns hitting a shield cause a very large explosion at both ends. So people use swords and daggers because they're actually effective against the most common form of personal defence.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's actually because they're copying star wars :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BrianRx posted:

Shows right in the movie that they have personal shields that keep out fast-moving objects.

They didn't explain laser/shield interactions, they might in Part 2.