Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nitrousoxide posted:

What did Mat need healing for? I forget.

Splinter in his hand from the quarterstaff after completely annihilating Gawyn and Galad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

jng2058 posted:

I agree, but it's one that would probably be best served waiting until after the series wraps, ya know?

I don't imagine it'll happen until the series wraps, because it would significantly gently caress with the way all the promotional material is set up, but I think it would be way more interesting now.

There's a problem actors can get into, if they know their character's future (if the writer/director tells them). They start to act who the character becomes, not where they start. They play the result of a change, not the change itself. I'm curious how he's dealing with that for Rand, right now, shooting seasons 1&2. Once the series is over, hopefully (if it doesn't end after S2 or S3), he'll have gone through the character's changes and the conversation will be a different one.

I want the "holy mother of god Rand goes through some poo poo in these books" convo before the actor's had a chance to process and understand how the show will handle it. I want his viewpoint now, anticipating that, not looking back on it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just thinking about all of the amazing season ending one liners that could come from this show if it last the whole thing. "Kneel or be knelt" is like top tier poo poo

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The Last Kneel...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zore posted:

Removing his link with the Shadar Lorgoth dagger.

Oh, okay that rings a bell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, okay that rings a bell.

it's pretty much the thing that sets up the first real mat segment, he wakes up after that and there's the whole stretch with mat beating the poo poo out of some warder trainees and all that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's pretty much the thing that sets up the first real mat segment, he wakes up after that and there's the whole stretch with mat beating the poo poo out of the biggest idiot in the series

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah Mat's first POV isn't until book 3 when he gets healed and we get the Mat everyone remembers.

Before that he's a much more boring character and mostly just a whiny shitheel obsessed with pranks then just a vehicle for the dagger's corruption.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

BigHead posted:

Breaking the link to the dagger. The healing required a full circle of thirteen.

Plus the most powerful sa'angreal the tower had, and I think a couple others were used as well.

Month away, should be a fun few episodes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Siuan also had Mat healed a little bit the night the dagger and horn were stolen from Fal Dara, because he wouldn't have made it even that far otherwise. That particular session was I think Siuan, Moiraine, Verin, and a couple others, and probably with the help of the angreal Moiraine had. It was a stopgap measure because there was no dagger physically present and there wasn't enough Aes Sedai there that they could trust to be part of this particular circle.

The Yellow delegation at Fal Dara was unnamed so it is entirely possible that Chesmal Emry was there--but Siuan did not select either of them to be part of that circle.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I started the first book a week or so ago and I'm liking it alright. I'm not sure how many of these books I want to read but I'll definitely check out the second book after this. Not sure after that, though. Maybe check out books 3 and 4 but I don't see myself reading all 13. That's just too much, even if I absolutely adored the series. If the books were a third of their length then I'd probably be down for it but I just don't have the attention span, memory or time for thirteen 600 to 900 page books.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I started the first book a week or so ago and I'm liking it alright. I'm not sure how many of these books I want to read but I'll definitely check out the second book after this. Not sure after that, though. Maybe check out books 3 and 4 but I don't see myself reading all 13. That's just too much, even if I absolutely adored the series. If the books were a third of their length then I'd probably be down for it but I just don't have the attention span, memory or time for thirteen 600 to 900 page books.

The audiobook's are really good. That's how I consumed them.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jimbot posted:

Read for as long as you’re having fun and don’t feel bad when you stop. Book 4 has several of the very best moments, just FYI.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Honestly if the end of book 2 doesn't completely hook you then just ditch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zore posted:

Yeah Mat's first POV isn't until book 3 when he gets healed and we get the Mat everyone remembers.

Before that he's a much more boring character and mostly just a whiny shitheel obsessed with pranks then just a vehicle for the dagger's corruption.

christ, it took until book 3? for some reason it had melted in my brain and i assumed it was in book 2. i don't know why. that's a decent while until he actually becomes a character and not just a hinderance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Honestly if the end of book 2 doesn't completely hook you then just ditch.

also yeah on this, the first book is a bit different in tone from the rest but 2 really picks up on it's own thing in general and continues that way for the rest of it and if you're not engaged by the time you get through 2 then it might just not be for you.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

christ, it took until book 3? for some reason it had melted in my brain and i assumed it was in book 2. i don't know why. that's a decent while until he actually becomes a character and not just a hinderance.

It’s seriously worth rereading the first three to just appreciate how good (but abrupt) a swerve it was when RJ just decided to make Mat the best character in the series. It’s like 30 pages and at the end you’re 100% aboard team mat.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

What did Mat need healing for? I forget.

a hangover

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mat needing a circle of 12 and powerful objects of the One Power to cure a hangover would be exactly in character.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mat needing a circle of 12 and powerful objects of the One Power to cure a hangover would be exactly in character.

that much channeling is just going to give him a worse headache though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There was a time when someone offered to heal his hangover yeah.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mat needed healing to get his second “t” back, unfortunately not even a full circle could manage that. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's ironic that Mat gets all his cool poo poo from passing through doors to Finnland, then spends the entire series complaining that he's being treated like a door Mat.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jedit posted:

It's ironic that Mat gets all his cool poo poo from passing through doors to Finnland, then spends the entire series complaining that he's being treated like a door Mat.

**casting an insanely powerful balefire weave at u to prevent this post from ever happening**

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I disagree with you on so many things boardgame wise, but you're making solid quality posts here. Land of contrasts!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What do you call a man with no arms and no legs and one eye

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not to step on toes but Calenth posted this back years ago in the previous version of this thread:
Thanks for posting that! I've been in and out of these threads over the years and must have missed when that was originally posted.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

What do you call a man with no arms and no legs and one eye

An Aiel that wouldn't tell Perrin where Faile was

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I've been wondering lately how Elayne's throne bid(s) would have went if the nobles involved knew they were backing a literal god-queen. Monarchs who can channel seem like an especially bad idea.

Like I guess nobody involved was aware of the Oath Rod's lifespan-shortening, but even at a mere 300+ years that's still far too long.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

bio347 posted:

I've been wondering lately how Elayne's throne bid(s) would have went if the nobles involved knew they were backing a literal god-queen. Monarchs who can channel seem like an especially bad idea.

Like I guess nobody involved was aware of the Oath Rod's lifespan-shortening, but even at a mere 300+ years that's still far too long.

God Queens were fairly common and lauded around the time of the Trolloc Wars, though more modern Aes Sedai queens have not done so well. The White Tower wanted Moiraine to make a claim for the Sun Throne too.

One might imagine that Elayne could abdicate after 40-50 years and take an ambassador-ish role like Morgase.

I want to say that people in the palace knew full well Elayne was a powerful channeller (unlike Morgase), and so her fellow High Seats would have known.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

An Aiel that wouldn't tell Perrin where Faile was

Faile Quest™ was the worst part of the series tbh

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

winters heart was a bigger disappointment then crossroads IMHO waiting and waiting and waiting

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

God Queens were fairly common and lauded around the time of the Trolloc Wars, though more modern Aes Sedai queens have not done so well. The White Tower wanted Moiraine to make a claim for the Sun Throne too.

One might imagine that Elayne could abdicate after 40-50 years and take an ambassador-ish role like Morgase.

I want to say that people in the palace knew full well Elayne was a powerful channeller (unlike Morgase), and so her fellow High Seats would have known.

the connection between elayne's original throne and the white tower was also a pretty well-respected thing for the longest time and also why elaida was in the position she was at the time earlier in the series. morgase was never really strong enough to do all that much on her own but having channelers as rulers was not really a new thing for them and i doubt many of the nobles were truly allergic to the idea

now, rand being a ruler made people ill for various, more reasonable reasons

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The show making it more of a mystery at first who the Dragon Reborn is makes quite a bit of sense. Of course, Egwene wouldn't work as the Dragon Reborn anyway. Part of the often enough negative reaction to Rand is not only that he's foretold to save and destroy the world, but that he's a male channeler, which the whole continent has been conditioned for three millennia to be someone to fear and despise. Egwene's not a male channeler. Not that female channelers don't face some (partly justified) prejudices, but it's a pale shadow of what the men have to deal with (in the usually short time they're alive/ungentled).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Epic Faile

*waits for applause*

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
MCM Comic Con is happening in London and they have an 'exclusive Wheel of Time experience' booth which just means 15 minutes of various scenes from the first episode. It seems like extended scenes from the trailer we've seen, with the notable ones being Egwene performing a ceremony with the Woman's Circle to braid her hair and the attack on the al'Thor farm. They also show some of the Winternight attack with Mat running out into the chaos to find his sisters, Perrin barricading himself and a woman in the blacksmiths workshop, and Egwene dancing with someone before they get killed by a trolloc axe.

e: I know this is a book spoiler thread but I don't want to spoil anything that might be new to the show for anyone who wants to go in with no beforehand knowledge of changes.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 24, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Egwene performing a ceremony with the Woman's Circle to braid her hair

That's really cool. It's a good scene to include to help move the center away from Rand. Instead of just Rand's reaction to it, you see what it means for Egwene.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually, now that I think of it, what the hell happened to Elayne such that her granddaughter is on the throne in Aviendha's flash forward scene? That's only like 50-60 years from the end of the books, Elayne should barely be early middle age for an Aes Sedai!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Presumably she remains a huge idiot and gets herself killed at some point in the future.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

jng2058 posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, what the hell happened to Elayne such that her granddaughter is on the throne in Aviendha's flash forward scene? That's only like 50-60 years from the end of the books, Elayne should barely be early middle age for an Aes Sedai!

She might have retired as both an Aes Sedai and queen to live with her husband so that people don't figure out who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Birgitte's no longer around to save her dumb rear end from yet another Queen-as-bait trap.